• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Geoff9920

Damn these east coast snow storms. My amazon order w/release date shipping ships yesterday per usual and the damn thing can't get here on time even though it's only shipped from one state away. And with another snow storm coming I doubt that UPS is going to bother dropping a package off tomorrow. :-\

Baker

Banned
Pookaki said:
Wait wait wait wait, so am I reading this thread correctly? PC users are complaining that they cant use an Xbox controller and they must use a keyboard and mouse?

What is this? Backwards world?
It's not that I want to use a controller, but sometimes the button layout just sucks with k/m.

In this case, since the mouse buttons are tied to the "dual wield" attacks, aim/zoom is the fucking T key. That's just dumb. I had no idea controllers weren't supported until now, and I'm super cranky.

Fake edit: Oh god widescreen is fucked again too?

Costanza

Banned
FUCK, I just called Fedex and they said there were problems at the hub and my package won't come till tomorrow.

Time to email Amazon and get overnight shipping refunded. What bullshit.

hednik4am said:
i posted a thread yesterday about neve rhaving played competitive online play but this multiplayer seems like its more thought out than i would have assumed, still no internet connection for me at home but I'd still love to at least see how it was.

I recall, interesting thread. I can see how the MP in this would draw a different type of crowd than your typical online shooter. I will absolutely try it tonight and post impressions.

Costanza said:
FUCK, I just called Fedex and they said there were problems at the hub and my package won't come till tomorrow.

Time to email Amazon and get overnight shipping refunded. What bullshit.

How is it amazons fault?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Baker said:
It's not that I want to use a controller, but sometimes the button layout just sucks with k/m.

In this case, since the mouse buttons are tied to the "dual wield" attacks, aim/zoom is the fucking T key. That's just dumb. I had no idea controllers weren't supported until now, and I'm super cranky.

People actually used the zoom function in bioshock? I though it did more harm than good by making the weapon take up more of the screen and...that's it.

Already double-dipped and got the 360 version so I could play on the big HDTV easily with a controller.

So far it is very similar to the original Bioshock . . . and I love that.

I'm not going to play multiplayer until I finish the single player.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The first level or two is nearly identical to original in pacing and style.

I picked the game up for 360 and PS3 (7 day trade in at full value, the only redeeming factor of EB) and can confirm that the difference in visuals is much the same as the first game. 360 looks sharper with a bit more vibrancy where the PS3 looks slightly blurry or soft-focus. I only played the first level on PS3, but unlike the first game I didn’t really notice any discernable difference in frame rate, where as I found some issues in the first game on PS3 with objects/physics interactions chugging from time to time. I'll post pics if I get a chance.
Bugger all difference really, but I’ll hang on to the 360 version for now and give it a playthrough on PS3 down the track.

As for the game itself, it certainly doesn’t have the wow factor of the first game so far
although I loved the on-foot underwater Rapture reveal with the tail of the plane from the first game
, but to be honest with you I loved the first game so much the idea of poking around new areas of rapture is enough to make me piss down my leg with excitement. I think the small environmental details are better, as is the gunplay.

I’ve only just finished
Ryan Amusements and killed my first Big Sister
so I’m fairly early in the game, but I can’t wait to get back into it tonight.

Anyone else having problems even getting the Single Player or the Multiplayer to load? I can't even get the game past the launcher and I've tried all the little "tricks" out there so far. I got to register my CD Key on Steam and that's about all the farther I got.

mattso

Baker said:

I swapped zoom to be the middlemouse button and then change ammo to t. I think that works pretty well.

CozMick said:
Is it wrong to completely ignore the single player story?

Playing the multi-player is too much damn fun, I LOVE IT!

That’s great to hear. I really want to give it a go but I want to finish single-player first.
The first Bioshock is probably the only game I have ever Achievement/Trophy whored, how difficult do you think it would be to reach level 40 in multiplayer?

Sanic

Multiplayer really is pretty good, I've put more time into that than the SP so far. Love how there's a story wrapped around it too. It doesn't really feel like an afterthought at all.

Also, it's nice to see a meaty, full color manual for once.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Costanza said:
It's not, but when stuff like this happens they usually credit you if you ask.

I'm sorry to derail, but every time I see your posts I think this; you have the hottest Alison avatar on the forum.

That is all.

Baker

Banned
mattso said:
I swapped zoom to be the middlemouse button and then change ammo to t. I think that works pretty well.
At least according to Crysis, my middle mouse button doesn't count as a button. I have one of those Logitech MX1000's but pressing it did nothing in-game (default was power quick select I believe).

I'll try it out in Bioshock if I get around to playing it tonight.

Got my copy today and am giddy with anticipation. I'll play it over my vacation. Friday cannot come soon enough.

I am glad to hear that the multiplayer is good. The videos I watched beforehand made it seems a little bland.

Quick first impressions of SP:
The opening cutscene with Lamb and Eleanor is damn good. It's really nice to see Rapture when people were still normal, too.

The audio is fantastic. If you stop under dripping water, you can hear the water spatter on your helmet.

I'm about to head out of
the pool area in Audonis, that's how far I am.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw an add for this on ITV2, was pretty cool but the voice over was sthe guy every game advert has which is annoying. Also i'm debating getting the Limited Edition but i already have he PC version from Steam, curse 2K and their good LE's.

dyergram

Turns out that left click on the mouse works for hacking so its not as rubbish as I thought, am really loving the game BTW. Trap rivets plus red barrels equals sins forgiven :D

PS some of us pc gamers got couches and don't like carpel tunnel syndrome ;)

desertdroog

Picked up my 360 LE.

Now this is how a Limited Edition should be handled. Too bad we won't see many which will hit this watermark.

berva

Neo Member
Multiplayer is fantastic, seriously, it's very addictive and feels very much like team fortrace 2. People are having a blast with the multiplayer, I being one of them. I have played around 4 hours of the single player which is also very strong, great game overall, looking forward to playing some more "Civil War" tonight!:D

TheFreshPrince

How much harder does playing without Vita-Chambers make this game? Has anyone been going after the Brass Balls achievement (beat the game without Vita-Chambers)?

Probably gonna play on Hard for the achievement, but trying to decide if I should get the no VitaC as well...or if that will be too much headache. Bioshock1 was pretty darn easy on Normal, so I'm assuming Hard won't be too bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I'm not feeling regret on selecting the PS3 version. This is a *MUCH* better port than Bioshock 1.

The framerate is very steady, from what I've seen thus far, and the image quality is clean and crisp (rather than blurry and crummy like the original port). The first game had performance issues immediately and they never let up (from what I saw as I only played around with a friends copy and the demo). This seems to perform pretty much the same as the original 360 game (solid 30 fps).

Seems like a great port. So, unless some nasty surprises are awaiting me, I think I can safely recommend it to anyone.

Oh, and the sound is incredibly good. I mean, it was good in the original game, but it always had a compressed sound to it that bothered me. This game sounds cleaner and more responsive in the upper and lower frequencies.

G-Fex

Yeah wow it's a freaking awesome gem of a single player so far. Seems you get abilities a little more faster now, but I don't mind at all.

Eric WK said:
Can't stop playing multiplayer. It's not amazing, but it's damn fun for now.
Being the Big Daddy is pretty awesome and whatever gun hes uses is lethal :D
Hacking the turrets is fun but once you get to rank 3 they are abit shite and im strangely favouring the shotgun over the tommy gun which is odd for me.

epmode

AgentOtaku said:
Yep

the EXACT same problem with mouse controls are back again ...amazing

Basically had to use the same fix I did with Bio1 which was:

- going into DefUser.ini and User.ini

- changing ALL of the mouse sensitivity values (they're "2000" here, in Bio1 it was "2500") to about 950. There all ALOT of entries with those values, so to save on the tedium, use something like Notepad++ and apply the "replace all" command.

Cheers everyone
Thanks for this, works like a charm.

I'm over an hour and a half in and I still haven't gotten to
Ryan Amusements
.:lol

The first time
you're underwater and you get a good look at the city on that small cliff was an awesome sight to behold. Mark Meltzer and Lamb look to be excellent characters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I always had trouble aiming in the PC version of Bioshock, now I know why

EatChildren

Dax01 said:
I'm over an hour and a half in and I still haven't gotten to
Ryan Amusements
.:lol

The first time
you're underwater and you get a good look at the city on that small cliff was an awesome sight to behold. Mark Meltzer and Lamb look to be excellent characters.

Lamb makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. I dont know why, but she irks me more than any villian in any recent game and then some. She really, really pisses me off.

I didn't know about all this . . .

BioShock 2: Secret Messages, Packages and Telegrams

By Yukari Iwatani Kane

If the man in the picture shows up and demands that you get into his car, would you do it?

Three people actually did last week when they were met by him at a Red Roof Inn in Miami. Videogame publisher Take-Two Interactive’s 2K Games subsidiary arranged the stunt as part of an elaborately staged marketing campaign for its highly-anticipated first-person shooter game BioShock 2.

bioshock2_E_20100204145609.jpg

2K Games
Alabaster Pawn at a Red Roof Inn in Miami for a secret meeting with BioShock fans

The game, to be released February 9, is set in Rapture, a fictional underwater city that was designed in 1946 as a utopia for the intellectual elite. The city breaks down after scientists discover they can genetically re-engineer themselves through stem cells harvested from a sea slug that are mass-produced in the stomachs of young girls. The first BioShock game was set after that breakdown in 1960.

BioShock 2 picks up about a decade after the events of the first game. As part of a stealth marketing campaign, the company created a fictional character, Mark Meltzer, whose daughter is kidnapped and taken to Rapture. The company set up a Web site called “Something in the Sea,” where it left information that Meltzer had ostensibly dug up, including X-ray photos and fake newspaper articles.

But what started out as a modest campaign has become a much bigger production than the company had imagined. A few months after putting up the Web site, the company left a note with Meltzer’s postbox address on it. The postbox actually went to two 2K Games employees. One fan, on a whim, sent in an actual letter, to which the 2K Games team responded with a crayon drawing of a BioShock character. That opened up a deluge of fans writing in from all over the U.S. and overseas, including Australia, Germany and Canada.

Tom Bass, director of marketing for 2K Games, said the company received150 letters a day at its peak with many of them creatively done, smeared with blood, using an old typewriter or written on an old piece of paper. To each, 2K Games sent back a record of the song “Rise Rapture, Rise,” with a hidden message from Meltzer’s daughter at the end of it.

A few months later, the company posted a puzzle that revealed the coordinates of eight beaches around the world, the date and the time of sunrise. Fans who showed up received bottles from Rapture with BioShock posters inside it. (Bass said some fans sold them on eBay for up to $300. At Jones Beach in Long Island last summer, 250 fans showed up.

Bass said the campaign has been so successful that it has even prompted the developers to change the game to incorporate the Meltzer character, who wasn’t originally part of the game. He won’t say how much the campaign has cost, but says “it’s the biggest that 2K Games has ever done.”

Now the months-long campaign is about to draw to a close. On January 8, 2K Games launched a global manhunt for a man who escaped from an insane asylum but may be useful to Meltzer because he has been to Rapture. For the last several weeks, actors dressed in 1960s-wear have been showing up unannounced on the doorsteps of fans, who had sent letters to Meltzer, with mysterious telegrams , secret packages and assignments to help them find the man.

All signs are now pointing to something happening in San Francisco this weekend. Bass won’t say what that is, but promises that fans won’t be disappointed.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/02/04/bioshock-2-secret-messages-packages-and-telegrams/

EatChildren said:
Lamb makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. I dont know why, but she irks me more than any villian in any recent game and then some. She really, really pisses me off.
Is that good or bad? :p

EatChildren

Dax01 said:
Is that good or bad? :p

Good, I guess. Probably not the intention of the developer but it at least makes me hate the antagonist and look forward to the world of pain that awaits them.

-PXG-

Wow. This first game was great, this one is better. SO GOOD. I'm at
Siren Alley now. I spared Grace. No way I'm killin a sista :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the most important question: are the audio logs as good as ever?

EatChildren

Rez said:
the most important question: are the audio logs as good as ever?

So far yes.

AKS

I've been playing for a few hours and finally died for the first time from a surprise attack from Big Sister. I was weakened by a grenade from a splicer and wasn't expecting to be attacked at that point. I wish I had healed before going in there. It seems pretty good so far. Nothing has blown me away, and I'm not sure I like the color scheme with all the dull, rusty colors, but I'm pretty satisfied so far. I'm hoping that the last 1/3 is much better than the last 1/3 in Bioshock 1.

sam27368

Banned
Hmmmm is what's on my brain about BS2, hmmmm.

I'm about 4 hours into the single player. As a shooter on it's own like the reviewers say it's a very good game, good setting, aged graphics but the art style makes up for that.

But as a sequel to (imo) one of the greatest modern games, I'm ever so torn with this one. It feels extremely detached from the first game, Rapture feels different. I think the train premise makes the game very feel extremely linear, not in the sense of the gameplay itself, but in the sense that Rapture is just one straight line city that can only be accessed by this trains (I know the story explains, I won't go into spoilers). But with the bathysphere you had the whole mystery that you're only exploring a tiny part of this huge city, the train makes the city feel much smaller.

Although then I think I'm being too cynical. As most people do, I think I over hyped myself for this sequel since the first was so stellar and as we all know it didn't need a sequel at all. I'm thankful I get to revisit Rapture with a whole new story. Something just feels off?

Top Bottom