• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Between this and Borderlands, I don't see picking up anymore 2K PC games. It's just really frustrating. I've had both games pre-ordered only to find out that I would have to make concessions to play at launch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JordoftheDead said:
They weren’t. I was comparing the 360 and PS3 versions of Bioshock 2 and chucked in the original on 360 after playing for a while last night. The textures, particularly on doors and such look to have taken a step backwards. In all honesty, I think they’ve dropped texture quality across the board to ensure relative parity between all versions of the game. Character models look a lot better though.
Ha ha, the doors are exactly what stuck out to me the most. Looking around on the net, it seems that the PS3 and 360 versions both share the lower resolution textures so it seems that they really did drop quality throughout. Floor textures are still pretty high-res and sharp (most of the time), but a lot of the other textures are blurry (with the doors standing out as the most obvious offenders).

As someone else noted, however, the textures were not really dumbed down in the original PS3 version so I can't imagine they made concessions for that particular platform. I'm not sure WHY the textures seem to suck this time.

Wonder how they look in the PC version...

Dennis

Banned
dark10x said:
Ha ha, the doors are exactly what stuck out to me the most. Looking around on the net, it seems that the PS3 and 360 versions both share the lower resolution textures so it seems that they really did drop quality throughout. Floor textures are still pretty high-res and sharp (most of the time), but a lot of the other textures are blurry (with the doors standing out as the most obvious offenders).

As someone else noted, however, the textures were not really dumbed down in the original PS3 version so I can't imagine they made concessions for that particular platform. I'm not sure WHY the textures seem to suck this time.

Not great

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark10x said:

Muddy and undetailed. Game looks great because the art direction is top notch and 2K have great world builders. On a technical end the textures are pretty low res and hardly anything better than the first.

savor100

TheFreshPrince said:
How much harder does playing without Vita-Chambers make this game? Has anyone been going after the Brass Balls achievement (beat the game without Vita-Chambers)?

Probably gonna play on Hard for the achievement, but trying to decide if I should get the no VitaC as well...or if that will be too much headache. Bioshock1 was pretty darn easy on Normal, so I'm assuming Hard won't be too bad.

It's not hard if you save often. Plus you can get the no vita chamber trophy in any difficulty unlike BS1 where you had to play the hardest difficulty and disable the chambers

Played about an hours worth of SP and a few games of MP. MP definitely surprised me, a lot better than I thought it would be. Some visual tweaks would make it a lot better, because things tend to blend together, but aside from that, it's fun.

Yet to see on SP. So far I've enjoyed it.

Pein

Banned
JordoftheDead said:
What order are people upgrading weapons at the ‘Power to the People’ stations?
I regret not having done my Rivet Gun at all yet.
started until I maxed the rivet gun and then upgraded clip size on my shotgun. I feel like I should have started upgrading the drill after the rivet gun though.

U2NUMB

I am really taken aback by how good MP is. I never expected a COD like leveling system with challenges and loadouts. This will hold me over till BF BC2.

savor100

Domino Theory said:
And I don't particularly like what they've done to you as a Big Daddy in terms of gameplay. You lose health just as fast as your character in the first Bioshock, FROM SPLICERS, of all enemies. I'm a Big Daddy, I should be able to absorb nukes, but one or two bullets from a Splicer or even one wrench whack from them can take my health way down or even kill me.

Because of the paragraph above, the increase in Splicers per battle isn't too enjoyable, either. It'd be a lot more tolerable if the above paragraph was addressed in an update or something (the difficulty I'm playing on is Medium, btw).

This x1000. I'm playing as a fucking Big Daddy, I should be able to destroy every group of splicers that gets in my way, yet I find myself ducking behind crates to take cover from Leadhead splicers. And I don't even want to start talking about how much health they take you when you get hit with a freaking pipe! Not good....

Nose Master said:
I am having more fun in multi than the single player. :(

For those enjoying the mp; do you like the gunplay in the sp? Or are things different? I seem to have a major disconnect when it comes to the gunplay in this game (and in the original Bioshock).

EatChildren said:
Muddy and undetailed. Game looks great because the art direction is top notch and 2K have great world builders. On a technical end the textures are pretty low res and hardly anything better than the first.

It's a shame. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game and it still looks great, but it's more than a little odd to pop in 1 after playing 2 and thinking 'Wow, look at the sharpness and depth of the textures'...

Man, I'm on my lunch break and can't wait to get home to play. :D

Nose Master

When do you get the camera in SP? And meh, the gunplay is as bad as the first but it makes it fun, I guess? I dunno, I was never a fan of FPS MP, but I like this for whatever reason. Plasmids + hacking + pictures, feels good.

With a lot of people enjoying the game, I'm even more pleased to make this post.

5vxh4z.jpg

Everyone, we're going to have a little contest. Starting from now until Wednesday 12:00 midnight PST, you can enter for a chance to win a BioShock 2 prize. Simply make a post telling me you want to enter, and I'll mark you down. Winners will be chosen at random (I'll figure some process out) and will be notified through PM, and if they don't have a problem with it, will also be announced in the thread. Further details will be provided in the private messages. This isn't restricted to just the US and Canada - it's global.

Huge thanks to 2K Elizabeth. This wouldn't have been possible without her!

Prizes Include:
- 10 Winners: 10 assorted sizes of Splicer Unite canisters. These canisters include a BioShock 2 t-shirt, posters, and a RedBull shot.
- Eight Winners: Prints for two of each of the four artist series prints. Pictures of which can be found under "BioShock 2 Wallpapers" here. Each print is about 12x14 inches in size.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate the way the splicers look so plasticy. Even the character models in the game that aren't splicers are really ugly.

Pein said:
started until I maxed the rivet gun and then upgraded clip size on my shotgun. I feel like I should have started upgrading the drill after the rivet gun though.

I did my Machine Gun and Drill damage first and feel like I should have upgraded the Rivet gun.

These are my worries...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am sucking balls at the gunplay in this one. I don't remember being so bad at the first one.

Ridley327

Y2Kev said:
I hate the way the splicers look so plasticy. Even the character models in the game that aren't splicers are really ugly.

Well, at least the Little Sisters aren't hideous monstrosities anymore!

The graphics are a real mixed bag on the PC, especially since they never bothered to fix the physics framerate. It's still the same sub-30 fps garbage from the first game; it ends up being such an ugly contrast when you're running at 60 fps normally. :-/

JordoftheDead said:
I did my Machine Gun and Drill damage first and feel like I should have upgraded the Rivet gun.

These are my worries...
I fully upgraded my Rivet Gun, and have the damage upgrade for the chaingun and shotgun. I think next I am gonna to the shotgun capacity upgrade.

Ooh, I would like to enter please Dax.
I have the Masquerade Ball and Steinman's Cosmetics lithographs framed on my wall and would love to add to them.

fernoca

Dax01 said:
I'm in?! Please?
....or at least hook me up with some preroder-code-costume thingie.. :lol

Anyway..
Just finished Mass Effect 2, jumped into this. And so far I like it. Looks great; Plasmids are still awesome..and I still get frustrated by the lack of ammo and first aid. Hacking is a lot easier now..and looks really pretty. :D

TP

Dax01 said:
Prizes Include:
- 10 Winners: 10 assorted sizes of Splicer Unite canisters. These canisters include a BioShock 2 t-shirt, posters, and a RedBull shot.
- Eight Winners: Prints for two of each of the four artist series prints. Pictures of which can be found under "BioShock 2 Wallpapers" here. Each print is about 12x14 inches in size.

=0

Game not required right? I'm broke right now and probably wont be able to buy the game until the end of the month.

If not then +1 entry

Put me in for the contest Dax.

Pleased to hear the multiplayer actually turned out good, and isn't the tacked on disaster everyone expected it to be. Looking forward to trying it.

As someone who played the first Bioshock to completion around 4 times, I think the game is pretty close in terms of quality. I'm about an hour or so in, but the atmosphere is properly decrepit. Even though it's still set in Rapture, the game feels fresh and exciting.

Plus I'm enjoying the audio logs more than the first one.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like an entry as well.

Got the game waiting for me, but have yet to pick it up.

Top Bottom