• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Red

Rez said:
I didn't even need to update (Steam version, single player)
Yeah that's what I'm trying to play. Nearly an hour has gone by and the download bar hasn't even made it past the halfway point yet :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dax01 said:
Splicers didn't use thompsons in the last game, and, again, it'd make the game way too easy. There's a fine line between logic that's presented in the game and the actual gameplay.

I mean, I know that you take so much damage to make the game not extremely easy, but I feel like it went a little overboard on it, since you need to heal up constantly. I'm already at a point where my wallet is usually full, I carry full loads of ammo and health, it's just that I constantly burn through medkits and find enough to always have a big supply anyway. I would have preferred a much larger healthbar/way fewer medkits to compensate for big daddyness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ick, I just alt+tab'd back into the game and realised that the GFWL update was sitting there waiting for me to confirm.

yuck.

Cruzader

Banned
GAF help! ANyone preorder the PS3 version from Amazon? It appears the Big Daddy Home outfit is being sent. If any kind soul could hook me up, I'd appreciate it. I would gladly give something if I can in return. I have LBP DLC, MAG SVER armor DLC or maybe some paypal.

Please if anyone wont use their, PM me. We can work something out. Thanx in advance.

Heres the Cult of Rapture patch notes -

Today's PC Patch ListFebruary 12, 2010
-
ElizabethToday we released a patch for BioShock 2 on the PC for issues that we uncovered between the title’s production and launch. Unfortunately, this patch is causing errors in the Multiplayer portion of the game where holding down the mouse button does not register in game. We are already working on a fix to this problem and I will update you with more details as soon as I have them. The full patch list is available here for your reference (minus any potential spoilers.) Our work to fix other issues (including our widescreen fix) is still ongoing and they will be coming shortly. As always, I’ll be posting here whenever I have an update for you.

PATCH LIST
- Fixed accepting a game invite on the Multiplayer Menu via Friend Invite causing a crash.
- Fixed a black screen that would occur minimizing and restoring the game in Windows 7.
- Fixed the ability to adopt or harvest Little Sisters after rebinding the ‘F’ or ‘B’ keys to Zoom, Fire or Fire Plasmid.
- Fixed Big Daddy HUD elements remaining on screen when not appropriate.
- Fixed an issue where the player’s plasmid hand would become unresponsive if they pressed the Next Plasmid key immediately after firing any chargeable plasmid (such as ElectroBolt 2).
- Fixed a potential save file issue.
- Fixed an issue where the resolution would change on its own if entering gameplay in a 16:10 resolution on a native 16:10 monitor.
- Fixed a problem where if you were running the game in a resolution higher than your desktop resolution the mouse cursor wouldn’t be able to go across the whole screen.
- Fixed an issue in Windows 7 where certain Radio messages could become scrambled or broken after defeating a Big Sister if Voice audio had been turned down or muted previously.
- Fixed a crash while playing Dionysus Park on a 32-bit machine.
- Fixed a crash that would occur sometimes loading a previous manual save made before any present QuickSave.
- Fixed a crash while signing in to GFWL when running compatibility mode for XP SP2 while running Vista.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t play audio diaries in certain areas.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur any time before a specific Big Sister sequence.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/patchlistfirst

epmode

Crunched said:
I've been downloading this PC update for over half a fucking hour and am only 1/3 done what the hell is this omigod.
Yeah, GFWL is a horrible patching tool. What's worse, GFWL patching is mandatory even on the Steam version.

epmode

speculawyer said:
Man . . . I read a patch list like that and then I wonder if getting back into PC gaming was such a good idea.
Eh, PC games are much friendlier these days than ever before.

I mean, we get rushed releases across all consoles. The upside is that the devs don't have to worry about crappy certification on PC so they get fixed quickly.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In regards to the complaints about your Big Daddy being fairly weak:
At least it's consistent with the other Alpha series Big Daddies you take on later in the game. The Big Daddies we know and love from the first BioShock remain much stronger and more heavily armored, but that makes sense given they're the later improved versions.

Narag

Still taking it slow here. Man, you get strong fast after you get that camera. Also not really spoilerish but
Hearing that screech and being told a big sister was incoming was such a rush. Thank god I was by a vending machine.

Red

One question (possibly spoilerish? probably not):
do anymore thuggish splicers show up after pauper's drop? I'm right underneath my third level of research for them and haven't seen one for a while.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Narag said:
Still taking it slow here. Man, you get strong fast after you get that camera. Also not really spoilerish but
Hearing that screech and being told a big sister was incoming was such a rush. Thank god I was by a vending machine.

I really wish I wasn't told that in-game, would rather just hear it and not expect it.

SlickVic

Are there a good amount of people playing the MP on PC i.e. easy to get into a full match? Kinda curious to try this out since my uni network seems to have all the ports blocked for any online PC game I try, but GFWL has no issues connecting.

The Big Sisters are easy and pose no threat. I just spam the incinerate and unload on that bitch :D.

Is it me or are the graphics better in the first game? I have not played BS1 since 2007, but for some reason I feel like the water looks better in BS1.

Ridley327

There's a lot more water effects overall, but it's a very dated-looking game with some startlingly bad-looking texture work throughout and the same awful physics renderer from the first game. I will say I was pretty impressed with the
flooding of Siren's Alley
just because of the myriad of water effects going on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dan said:
In regards to the complaints about your Big Daddy being fairly weak:
At least it's consistent with the other Alpha series Big Daddies you take on later in the game. The Big Daddies we know and love from the first BioShock remain much stronger and more heavily armored, but that makes sense given they're the later improved versions.

That's a little bit better atleast.

Ridley327 said:
There's a lot more water effects overall, but it's a very dated-looking game with some startlingly bad-looking texture work throughout and the same awful physics renderer from the first game. I will say I was pretty impressed with the
flooding of Siren's Alley
just because of the myriad of water effects going on.

At the same time,
all the blood on the floor reflecting as normal while you were underwater really stuck out to me. Seems minor, but seeing it as a reddish mist would've been pretty cool, instead of a completely unaffected puddle.

I read through the thread briefly, and really haven't been able to decide if I should grab this (for PC) yet. Now seeing the patch errors I may just wait. However, can I get some really quick opinions from people that thoroughly enjoyed the first game on what they think of this one. Is it worth picking up? I'm building a new system soon, and I want some fresh meat for it. Already got Call of Pripyat ordered on Steam.

Smokey

Not too fair into the game..just got to the very very beginning of Ryan's Amusement Park or w/e it's called.

I'm feelin' very meh so far. Doesn't have the tension of B1 but then again I'm VERY early in the game.

Smokey said:
Not too fair into the game..just got to the very very beginning of Ryan's Amusement Park or w/e it's called.

I'm feelin' very meh so far. Doesn't have the tension of B1 but then again I'm VERY early in the game.

I agree with you on the tension. I feel like a tank not a lonely human like the first game

Host Samurai said:
I agree with you on the tension. I feel like a tank not a lonely human like the first game

This is what I was afraid of.. Not going to pay full price for this right now. I'll check it out later in the year.

Zeliard

Host Samurai said:

You're much more powerful offensively, especially with the ability to fire plasmids and weapons simultaneously, but defensively you're much weaker than Jack.

Korey

Smokey said:

I just finished the third level, and I agree that the tension is much less in this game. But I think that it's because the wonder/mystery is gone as the setting is the same. So it's not really the game's fault....it's just we're used to splicers...big daddies..and creepy little girls who stick needles into corpses...40s music in the background, with someone chatting on the radio.

I still love Rapture though. I always take the time to look at all the posters/decorations around the place. But yea, it's no longer as frightening as it once was.

Bloodsent said:
Any word on if this patch is going to be forthcoming to the 360, or if it is even needed?

I have been playing the multiplayer a lot, the 360 version definitely needs a patch, for few matchmaking issues and a lot of freezing up issues.

Dude Abides said:
How is the multiplayer? I think I am starting to get sick of MW2. Do the plasmids add a lot?

As I said, been playing the multiplayer a lot, haven't touched the single player yet. I have to tell you I was surprised how the multiplayer is, it is good and really fun. Plasmids play a very important role, that would probably be the first thing I use, I assume a lot of other people too.

Like when you look at your enemy, you would want to use your Plasmid first, like freeze him or incinerate him or whatever you want to, and then you will have to start pumping your rounds, while you can still use your plasmids, you will get used to it and definitely worth playing.

Narag

Liquidus said:
I really wish I wasn't told that in-game, would rather just hear it and not expect it.

What's worse is you know it further in advance if the right tooltip pops up so you know its coming just not when!

edgefusion

Stick with the multiplayer though as it takes a little while to start getting hold of any decent stuff, you really feel crippled to begin with compared to other players.

WEGGLES

I'm finding this game outrageously frustrating and hardly any fun to play.

Maybe I'm just not in the best mood from an early morning/stressful day but fuck it's so annoying how little of anything you can hold.

I'm always low on shit half way through a fire fight because I can only hold like 70 rivets and such.

Taking a break for now...

LiK

finished it, i wasnt able to get all the research achievement cuz there were no damn
thuggish splicers
later in the game. only needed them to complete it. dammit!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
man, this game feels really long. I spend upwards of two hours in single levels at the moment. then I'll complete a story event, move forward, and discover a whole new section to play around in.

it's the sort of game I can't play for much more than an hour in one sitting without getting kind of fatigued, but it's kind of cool that I know I'll have this game sitting here to slowly nibble away at over the next week or two.

Siren Alley has been pretty great so far. I just love the pace I've settled into, or rather, I love that the game is designed in such a way that it accommodates the pace I am playing it at at the moment.

Weapon further into the game . . . OMG,
how awesome is the spear gun? SO AWESOME! I love the way splicers stick to the wall where you shoot them. :lol That is so fucking cool. I thought the drill dash was pretty cool but the spear gun is better.

Red

LiK said:
finished it, i wasnt able to get all the research achievement cuz there were no damn
thuggish splicers
later in the game. only needed them to complete it. dammit!
Guess that answers my earlier question.

I'm having kind of an emergency with the PC version. Every time I try to boot or load a game, I get the message "Failed to retrieve list of saved games." I'm scared to turn the game off in case I can't load my save up when I restart. This problem just started happening randomly after trying to quick save.

Oh what the fuck,what the fuck. The game just crashed and I can't load my save. God damn it.

Ugh it gets worse: now the title screen won't even appear. The game becomes unresponsive right after the intro movies. I can only see my mouse in a tiny square at the center of my screen, and there is nothing else to do. Some patch that was, let me tell you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Crunched said:
Guess that answers my earlier question.

I'm having kind of an emergency with the PC version. Every time I try to boot or load a game, I get the message "Failed to retrieve list of saved games." I'm scared to turn the game off in case I can't load my save up when I restart. This problem just started happening randomly after trying to quick save.

Oh what the fuck,what the fuck. The game just crashed and I can't load my save. God damn it.
are you signed into GFWL?

I'm not sure if it will help, but double-check that.

ezekial45

Banned
Just beat the game last night, but i got a few questions:

1. How was Delta able to use the Vita Chambers? Did they ever explain it in the audio logs? I know that how he was revived by them after his suicide, but i'm not sure how he was able to use them. Since they were supposedly tuned only to Ryan's DNA.

2. Theres no way to upgrade all the weapons, right?

3. Did Tenenbaum just leave Rapture?

LiK

i love the
machine gun
. best all purpose weapon in the game, imo. once it's fully upgraded, it tears down most enemies very quickly (if you conbine it with your plasmid powers).

Red

Rez said:
are you signed into GFWL?

I'm not sure if it will help, but double-check that.
I am, but that doesn't appear to be the problem. The game seems to have simply died on me.

Trying to validate game files through Steam right now. I have no idea what went wrong.

Oh nice, 75 files failed to validate and will be reacquired. Super!

Volcynika

Just made it to Siren Alley before I quit for the night, but yeesh.
Big Daddies with rocket launchers? D:

Looks like it'll be interesting when I start it back up again!

Also the multiplayer is now awful for me (lag fest, mechanics not functioning correctly), it sucks. I wanted to play it a good bit this weekend :/

Host Samurai said:
Is it me or are the graphics better in the first game? I have not played BS1 since 2007, but for some reason I feel like the water looks better in BS1.

I came here to sayjust that. I remember in the first game just sitting and watching the water thinking how amazing it was. In this game it feels a little.. meh. Maybe it's because we have seen other amazing water graphics since then?? (Halo 3)

Niblet

Quick question GAF: how clear cut is the saving/harvest mechanic this time around? In Bioshock 1 saviors eventually caught up in ADAM to harvesters and got the free tonics. Is it the same way here? I am inclined to save the little sisters, but if the reward for harvesting outway the rewards for saving I will seriously have to consider it. Are there any charts or graphs that explicitly show the data on this subject?

I just played the multiplayer today and holy crap is it fun. I'm loving Incinerate/Machine Gun for mid-far range combat, and Winter Blast/Shotgun for close combat.

The only thing I dislike is when the other team gets the Big Daddy. There seem to be very few ways of dealing with it. Does anyone have any strategies that are more effective then " fire fully charged incinerate + pump lead into it until it shoots you?"

LiK

Niblet said:
Quick question GAF: how clear cut is the saving/harvest mechanic this time around? In Bioshock 1 saviors eventually caught up in ADAM to harvesters and got the free tonics. Is it the same way here? I am inclined to save the little sisters, but if the reward for harvesting outway the rewards for saving I will seriously have to consider it. Are there any charts or graphs that explicitly show the data on this subject?

i never harvested but the rewards for rescuing are quite substantial

Red

TheFreshPrince said:
How often do Big Sisters come? Is it random or is there a set pattern?
One will attack after every couple Little Sisters you deal with.

Fixed for the spoiler-sensitive.

I just got prompted to download an update through GFWL. Is this a surprise new one or am I being forced to redownload the one from earlier for some reason?

Ahhhhh no, the game still crashes at the title screen. What the hell happened?

Top Bottom