• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Numpt3

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Is it just me or the multiplayer is ruined by the lag filled servers on X360? If it didint have that much lag it would be good

Your not alone, in my experience the matches usually start off pretty well then after five minutes or so descend into a lag filled mess.

rallyart

Neo Member
The pc version is full of random crashes, graphics issues, and no matter what you try to do (playing on directx 9 or 10), there is no fix.

My rig:

i7 920 stock
xfx gtx 275 (drivers 186.18)
6 gb ram
windows 7 ultimate 64

calder

I'm finding it kind of tough to get into this game. Loved the first one, but felt it was about 3 hours too long, and I'm weirdly unenthused to be back in Rapture so far. The sluggishness of being a big daddy is a bit off putting or something, and the way-too-low camera from the first game is annoying me all over again. I think it was a mistake starting on Hard, dying fairly often is probably part of the problem, I just don't have the patience or focus for any sort of challenging combat. ;)

Constantly getting the controls mixed up until I found an acceptable alternate button layout didn't help. God how many times did I swap to the fucking drill when i meant to shoot the (kind of lame) rivet gun in the first hour?

Ridley327

Man, the
Happy Fun Time Little Sister section
is really, really ugly visually. I can't believe someone signed off on that.

That being said, the game definitely got better, but the constant enemy respawns in these later sections are getting out of control. Just how many
Alpha Series
can there be?!

Neiteio

I'm at
Grace
in Pauper's Drop, loving the game so far... But I think I'm experiencing some sort of glitch. I saved in the
Limbo Room
; ever since, this suspenseful violin cue has been looping over and over and over and over... I've turned off the music... I'm tempted to start over from a save state at the beginning of Pauper's Drop... Does anyone know what causes this, and how to fix it???

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about.

These people experienced it too.

Does the loop ever end???

Bloodsent

Just finished up this afternoon. Overall I would say that I am happy with the game, even though the story escaped me a few times, and found the gameplay improvements enough to justify my purchase.

BeeDog

Anyone got any suggestions for the boss fight in Siren Alley (playing with Vita-Chambers off)? I'm getting completely raped here.

Neiteio said:
I'm at
Grace
in Pauper's Drop, loving the game so far... But I think I'm experiencing some sort of glitch. I saved in the
Limbo Room
; ever since, this suspenseful violin cue has been looping over and over and over and over... I've turned off the music... I'm tempted to start over from a save state at the beginning of Pauper's Drop... Does anyone know what causes this, and how to fix it???

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about.

These people experienced it too.

Does the loop ever end???
Same thing is happening to me.

Bloodsent

Dax01 said:

This happened to me as well and it was quite obnoxious. My wife was sitting next to me on the couch reading a book listening to this suspenseful music for like 15 minutes, and she blurts out, "Just get it over with already!" :lol

sam27368 said:
Just finished, thoughts -

Loved the first one, but really didn't enjoy the second one. I was waiting constantly for the story to pick up but found it extremely dull. This certainly felt like a sequel for sequels sake. Also I think the ending was just as bad, just a little extended.

Why the spoiler tag?? While I do agree, I think a lot of the general disappointment with the game revolves around the "glimmer" of Rapture wearing off. My biggest issue with it is that it makes my 360 freeze while in MP.

More appropriate use of spoiler tag---->
zomg, you get to play as a little sister!!!1!! =)

AKS

Ever since this update my PC copy has been crashing constantly. I have to save every few minutes or risk losing all my progress. I do NOT like the GFWL crap, either. I'm not sure what to think about all this. The game itself seems good, but I am so sick of the constant crashes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do thuggish splicers EVER show up again? Aside from the area you get the camera, I haven't seen them at all. I just need one or two more to max that track but there has literally not been any in the last 2 whole areas, and I'm now nearing the end game.

Irish

This game is what the original should have been. While the story was certainly better than the first, it was still extremely lacking and pretty boring to boot. I kinda wish they'd quit relying on your human partner always being behind some glass door you can never pass through. It really takes a lot of life out of the characters. I was hoping I'd run into a living Mark eventually, but that never happened. I'm not really a big fan of the audio clips either; I think I'd prefer video reels.

Both the weapons and the plasmids feel a ton better in the sequel. Unfortunately, the enemy variety is still too thin making everything a bore. Oh well, I love the fact that each of the plasmid upgrades is more than just making everything stronger but involves different visual effects and all of that good stuff. However, I encountered a bug where electricity would surround my plasmid hand no matter what I was using. (it lasted for the entire game) :(

I had a lot of fun setting up trip bolts, trap rivets, and plasmid-infused cyclone traps before setting a Little Sister down to gather ADAM, but I feel there should have been more variety in those encounters.

I'm a little disappointed that fetch quests continue to be so rampant. They're extremely dull. :(

As much as I prefer the sequel, I still believe the original had a better atmosphere and more interesting areas. I just wish the next game in the series (if there is one) really acknowledges it and creates a decent story using it. I really think a prequel is the way to go here, but they really screwed up the possibilities with all of Fontaine/Ryan struggle and now this Lamb crap. I think it would be interesting watching myself and the people I know turning into crazed splicers and the world around me slowly being destroyed.

I'd give the game a solid 8.

Dax01 said:
I got that bug, too. It's super frustrating because of how well the music is used to clue you in to any possible dangers lurking about. And so I spent all of that level being paranoid as hell :lol

Just finished
Pauper's Drop, and I loved the way the level wrapped up. Pauper's Drop did a better job of having an apartment for a level than Olympus Heights did in BioShock. The game's getting better the further you get into it. Right now I'd rank the levels as:

1. Pauper's Drop
2. Audonis Luxury Hotel
3. Ryan Amusements

Just started this, really enjoying it so far.

I turned off all the hand holding, then I died and was dumped back about 20 minutes, I think vita-chambers will to be enabled!

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
Took me a few hours to get into the game. I still don't really like the idea of being some cumbersome big daddy, but it's growing on me.

I'm playing the PC version and haven't experienced any glitches on my end.
The only one noteworthy is sometimes your Plasmid hand will freeze/become unusable and I haven't found a way to undo it other than going to a gene machine and switching out the plasmid and switching it back in.

Papercuts said:
Do thuggish splicers EVER show up again? Aside from the area you get the camera, I haven't seen them at all. I just need one or two more to max that track but there has literally not been any in the last 2 whole areas, and I'm now nearing the end game.

They do, but not until very late in the game. I had the same issue when I was trying to max out my research

Papercuts

JordoftheDead said:
They do, but not until very late in the game. I had the same issue when I was trying to max out my research

Really? I'm at Fontaine Futuristics now, are they coming up soon?

Mad_Ban

Picked this up for PS3 and the game definitely feels harder than Bioshock 1, even on medium difficulty. It doesn't help the shooting mechanics feel 'off' in single player IMO.

Dax01 said:
Just finished
Pauper's Drop, and I loved the way the level wrapped up. Pauper's Drop did a better job of having an apartment for a level than Olympus Heights did in BioShock. The game's getting better the further you get into it. Right now I'd rank the levels as:

1. Pauper's Drop
2. Audonis Luxury Hotel
3. Ryan Amusements

I agree about Pauper's Drop, the apartments are fantsastic. The next level is probably my favourite in the game, but everything post-Pauper's Drop was top quality.

I still can't shake the overall feeling of disappointment with the story, because it felt quite disjointed and under-developed, but I really enjoyed the game. I'm going to start again on hard and see how it feels the second time through.

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
Mad_Ban said:
Picked this up for PS3 and the game definitely feels harder than Bioshock 1, even on medium difficulty. It doesn't help the shooting mechanics feel 'off' in single player IMO.

Yeah. I remember just cruising through Bioshock 1 on easy mode without any challenge whatsoever. I mean, it is EASY MODE. But Bioshock 2 is definitely a little harder. I actually have to be strategic on which big daddies I decide to take out because they can take a lot of punishment and dish it out, even on easy mode.

And the aiming is pretty stiff. Is it because there's no auto-aim?

I'm really getting into this game now, it's grabbing me a lot more than the original did. With that said, I'm playing it "better" this time - experimenting with how to use the plasmids, setting up traps, taking my time to explore etc etc.

I feel like I went through Bioshock too quickly now, and when I finish this game I'll probably go back and take it slower. I wouldn't be surprised if I find a whole new appreciation for it, even though I maintain this game still plays a lot better.

As for the difficulty, I knocked it down to Easy pretty quickly. I haven't died since I've done that - but that's cool, since I was dying far too much on normal. Wasn't nearly skilled enough for that.

Papercuts

JordoftheDead said:
What bit are you up to? Without giving anything away, I would expect quite a few in a little while

Fairly early into it, I just fought my first Alpha model.

Foliorum Viridum said:
As for the difficulty, I knocked it down to Easy pretty quickly. I haven't died since I've done that - but that's cool, since I was dying far too much on normal. Wasn't nearly skilled enough for that.

I really didn't find it too difficult. I played it on normal with Vita-Chambers off and only died once or twice, however I was thinking while playing that it's going to be very difficult on hard mode.

Okay, I think i'm onto something here - i'm pretty sure I just managed to enable AA on an ATi card.

I have the retail version. I used the same trick as I did with the Steam version of BioShock 1. Simply launch the game from the Games tab in DX9 mode, with 4xAA enabled in CCC (you can only use as much as 4x anyway).

People on Steam - try the same method as I did with BioShock 1. Go to properties, then 'set launch options' and type "-dx9" into the dialogue box. I am pretty sure (like 90% sure) that this worked as there are very few prominent jaggies now.

Using the above method, you do not need to edit any .exe

JordoftheDead said:
I really didn't find it too difficult. I played it on normal with Vita-Chambers off and only died once or twice, however I was thinking while playing that it's going to be very difficult on hard mode.
My problem seemed to be a lack of ammo. I could have persisted - afterall, I have done all of the CoD games on Veteran etc - but this game had to win me over, so I didn't want a bad difficulty choice to fuck it over. :)

Papercuts said:
Fairly early into it, I just fought my first Alpha model.

You've still got a good while to go then. I would recommend making sure you have fully researched the Big Daddys before leaving

Foliorum Viridum said:
My problem seemed to be a lack of ammo. I could have persisted - afterall, I have done all of the CoD games on Veteran etc - but this game had to win me over, so I didn't want a bad difficulty choice to fuck it over. :)

I know what you mean. I don't think this game was as well balanced difficulty-wise as the first game was. I finished the first game on PS3 on survivor mode with vita chambers off and the game never felt unfair, but I get the feeling that this game is going to annoy the shit out of me on hard.

This get posted yet? :lol

7384.BioShock-Car.JPG

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...-Daddy-Joey-Logano_2700_s-BioShock-2-Car.aspx

Are the Special Editions supposed to be super-rare already? They're going for inflated prices on Amazon, but I stopped by Best Buy and there were still a half-dozen of each type, almost a week after release. I thought about picking up one and hawking it online, but decided I didn't want to be one of those guys.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the more I play, the more I think I'm having more fun with this than I ever had with Bioshock 1.

the story and general scenarios in Bioshock 1 have so far been FAR superior to anything I've run into in Bioshock 2, but the actual act of playing has been so much more fun for me.

I'm starting to appreciate the way the levels are designed a lot more than I ever did in Bioshock 1. However, the levels aren't as interestingly furnished, you know? They don't look as memorable, but exploring them, fighting a big daddy/sister, heading through a set-piece 'funnel' moment or harvesting adam with a little sister is so much more fun.

All of this could be because of my newly found 'don't stockpile ANYTHING' mentality, I'll have to play Bioshock 1 again afterwards to actually find out for sure.

Ridley327

Wheeeeeeeee, just beat it. I didn't find all of the weapon upgrades, but I did get everything else!

Overall, the game definitely improved the further you got into it, but I can't help but feel pangs of disappointment that they decided to copy the general feel of the first game so much. You feel less like a survivor trying to outpace everyone else and more like a participant in one of the wackier funhouses out there. It never really begins to aspire to be anything more than a stylish corridor shooter.

Not that that's bad when the shooting mechanics show a lot of improvement over its admittedly wonky predecessor, which does allow for a lot more experimentation while holding its best cards (the third level plasmids; Decoy 3 is sooooooooo broken) until the very end. The game is generally a lot more fun to play, outside of a couple of heinous difficulty spikes (ARGH FUCK
FATHER WALES
), even on Hard with the Vita-Chambers deactivated.

For BioShock 3, I strongly urge whoever ends up developing it to do it on a new engine because this game is, at times, shamefully ugly. The custom UE2 engine the game uses shows its age in unexpected ways, thanks to frequent bad texturing, iffy character models and the return of the dreaded sub-30 fps physics renderer. On that same note, the voice acting was a pretty big downgrade from the first game, as well; too many members of the cast tried on accents that sounded far more goofy than period appropriate. It should say something when the audio logs of Fontaine show more restraint than Sinclair or "LAWDY, LAWDY" Grace.

If I had to give it a score, it'd probably land somewhere right around a 7. It's a fun game that gets a lot better the more you play it, but it's lost a bit of the magic of the original's unexpectedness and allure.

Papercuts

Rez said:
the more I play, the more I think I'm having more fun with this than I ever had with Bioshock 1.

the story and general scenarios in Bioshock 1 have so far been FAR superior to anything I've run into in Bioshock 2, but the actual act of playing has been so much more fun for me.

I'm starting to appreciate the way the levels are designed a lot more than I ever did in Bioshock 1. However, the levels aren't as interestingly furnished, you know? They don't look as memorable, but exploring them, fighting a big daddy/sister, heading through a set-piece 'funnel' moment or harvesting adam with a little sister is so much more fun.

All of this could be because of my newly found 'don't stockpile ANYTHING' mentality, I'll have to play Bioshock 1 again afterwards to actually find out for sure.

I'm not sure how far you are, but it's nearly impossible for me to not stockpile now, I can't even burn through stuff fast enough. You certainly become god like at the end ala bioshock 1, only here it's not just shock + wrench.

Solo

Beat the game. Probably 8 or 9 hours to beat it w/most of the achievements.

Im gonna stick with an 8 for Bioshock 2 (the original is a 9.5 for me, for reference). The start of the game is terribly slow and poorly paced, but everything from Siren's Alley onwards is great, and the endgame is really fun.
Eleanor
is fucking walking death, so once you've teamed up with
her
, things are really awesome. I also liked the chance to see Rapture from a
Little Sister's
perspective.

The game is completely inferior to the first in terms of the narrative and handing out any clever or unique twists, hence the 2 points Im not giving it. But the final 2/3 is a hell of a lot of fun, and the gameplay is much better this time, hence the 8 points I am giving it. All in all, a surprisingly good sequel.

KaYotiX

Banned
Papercuts said:
I'm not sure how far you are, but it's nearly impossible for me to not stockpile now, I can't even burn through stuff fast enough. You certainly become god like at the end ala bioshock 1, only here it's not just shock + wrench.

Yeah its Freeze + Drill

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm right near the end of Siren Alley, but I've been playing for a really long time.

I use my powers and special ammo pretty insanely at the moment. I go out of my way to try different strategies, even if they aren't as effective as a shock+wrench (or freeze plus shotgun/melee). I constantly change up my tonics as well.

If I can't pick up an ammo type then I usually switch to that weapon and use it like crazy for a while (as I research an enemy type, probably). Usually I'm the sort of player that hordes and only uses an 'optimized' load-out/play-style, but with my current play-style, I'm finding that while there's still ample ammo and the like, I'm rarely having to leave much behind.

It could change as I get further into the game.

Papercuts

Rez said:
I think I'm right near the end of Siren Alley, but I've been playing for a really long time.

I use my powers and special ammo pretty insanely at the moment. I go out of my way to try different strategies, even if they aren't as effective as a shock+wrench (or freeze plus shotgun/melee). I constantly change up my tonics as well.

If I can't pick up an ammo type then I usually switch to that weapon and use it like crazy for a while (as I research an enemy type, probably). Usually I'm the sort of player that hordes and only uses an 'optimized' load-out/play-style, but with my current play-style, I'm finding that while there's still ample ammo and the like, I'm rarely having to leave much behind.

It could change as I get further into the game.

The next level is where I became godly, it was pretty sudden. I was in a similar position, always low on everything(especially after the end of Siren's Alley), but after the next set of sisters I basically had a bunch of ADAM to spend and the leveled up plasmids are pretty crazy, along with buying a lot of tonic slots + the tonics you get soon. I use all the ammo types but I buy a lot of ammo now, because my wallet is always full and I just want to buy something. If I don't buy anything then I still find more than enough, and now I leave the health machines to hack later because I usually have max kits and eve.

KaYotiX said:
Yeah its Freeze + Drill

Haha, atleast the drill is more fun. I don't even do that though...the bees, man. They made insect swarm ridiculous in this game.

Cep

Banned
Solo said:
Beat the game. Probably 8 or 9 hours to beat it w/most of the achievements.

Im gonna stick with an 8 for Bioshock 2 (the original is a 9.5 for me, for reference). The start of the game is terribly slow and poorly paced, but everything from Siren's Alley onwards is great, and the endgame is really fun.
Eleanor
is fucking walking death, so once you've teamed up with
her
, things are really awesome. I also liked the chance to see Rapture from a
Little Sister's
perspective.

The game is completely inferior to the first in terms of the narrative and handing out any clever or unique twists, hence the 2 points Im not giving it. But the final 2/3 is a hell of a lot of fun, and the gameplay is much better this time, hence the 8 points I am giving it. All in all, a surprisingly good sequel.

I agree with this review exactly, except i gave the first an 8.5 (They need to learn level structure and game pacing).

Wiggum2007

Been awhile since I played Bioshock 1, just wondering about the beginning cutscene,
the way you followed your little sister from a bloody corpse to the next room where a party was taking place
, does the intro take place somewhere during the downfall of Rapture, but at a time where things haven't completely gone to shit?

Volcynika

Think I'm at the last main area
Fontaine Futuristics
, and I had a weird bug I just experienced (PC version)

After you try to open a door and the guy's computer sings to it and you get denied access (early in the level, prior to first little sister), a contact from Sinclair appeared and nothing happened at all. His icon on the screen stayed there. I couldn't do any other voice recordings at all, nothing would happen. I reloaded a save after that point and then all attempts to play a recording just appeared then ended without playing.
I had to exit the game completely and go back into it to make it work correctly.

Odd bug!

I think this game has such a decidedly different vibe than the first one. And honestly? I like it more. Sure, the story probably won't end up being as good, but I'm not about to agree with anyone that says that it's not that great either. The new characters have been pretty wonderful so far and the Big Sisters make for the greatest boss encounters in a long time. The music is better and I like the level design more so far, and the
sequences where you have to protect the Little Sisters as they harvest ADAM
are so cool. I'm just digging it a whole hell of a lot.

I also think it's creepier/scarier, something I didn't find a whole lot of in the original (though the atmosphere and some parts were excellent).

Oreoleo

This2x4Skeleton said:
I'm playing the PC version and haven't experienced any glitches on my end.
The only one noteworthy is sometimes your Plasmid hand will freeze/become unusable and I haven't found a way to undo it other than going to a gene machine and switching out the plasmid and switching it back in.

I had this happen to me too a few times. I almost exclusively used the previous/next plasmid key rather than the F1-8 keys. Anyway whenever my plasmid hand would get stuck cycling through plasmids, pressing the previous plasmid key usually un-stuck it. I definitely never had to go to a station to get my plasmids working again.

Top Bottom