• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

CozMick

Banned
I'm certainly glad I purchased the PS3 version, sounds like you PC guys are having a whole load of fun.

I was in two minds as I bought the Steam version of the original and it played fine.

Is the multiplayer dedicated servers or matchmaking?

Everyone should use the plasmid that locks all weapons except for the Drill, Hack tool and Research tool and that makes the plasmids consume a lot less. It's just so much fun. You really have to combine your plasmids, attack at the right time (to save Drill fuel), plan everything. It's so much better than using all those machine guns and what not, that just turn it into a shooter. To me personally, this is how the game should've been from the beginning.

LiK

Mr. Durden said:
Everyone should use the plasmid that locks all weapons except for the Drill, Hack tool and Research tool and that makes the plasmids consume a lot less. It's just so much fun. You really have to combine your plasmids, attack at the right time (to save Drill fuel), plan everything. It's so much better than using all those machine guns and what not, that just turn it into a shooter. To me personally, this is how the game should've been from the beginning.

it's a fun option for ppl who wanna play as the regular Big Daddies but i like shooty shooty more

TTG

Just like the original, I'm once again neglecting the camera system. Is there anything REALLY worthwhile that I'm missing? I think I'm gonna research the big sisters atleast, other than that it's just a big hassle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TTG said:
Just like the original, I'm once again neglecting the camera system. Is there anything REALLY worthwhile that I'm missing? I think I'm gonna research the big sisters atleast, other than that it's just a big hassle.
if you're playing on PC, map 'weapon 6' to an easy to reach key like TAB or, if you have a mouse with additional buttons, mouse 4.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TTG said:

Not any huge game changing stuff, but you do get a tonic for each subject you max out.

Saya

TTG said:

Well, if you fully research the Houdini Splicers you will get the
'natural camouflage tonic' aka invisibility
. That can really come in handy when hacking machines and in other situations.

TTG

Saya said:
Well, if you fully research the Houdini Splicers you will get the
'natural camouflage tonic' aka invisibility
. That can really come in handy when hacking machines and in other situations.

That's what I thought the scout plasmid was going to be!

I think I'll keep researching the big sisters, but that will be it for the most part. The progress is slow enough already with me gathering all the adam and rescuing every little sister...

Anyway, I'm at the end of Lamb's Dino Park. The one highlight of this level is
Fontaine's little frozen hide out. Great to hear that little audio tape and I later even lured the Big Sister over into that room. There are like 3 turrets and a couple of security cameras so it makes for a nice little death trap.

Just finished it. Holy hell the last section of the game was good. From the moment you
meet Eleanor
everything gets so exciting and hectic. Basically the complete opposite of the original, and even though I was planning on stopping at that point, I felt compelled to put in the remaining hour or so.

I really like how the story turned out too - definitely left a bigger impression on me than the first game. I got the good ending, so I'll have to Youtube it to see how it could've turned out if I was a child slaughterer.

This game had no right to exist a month ago for me. I was so very, very wrong.

Jintor

I'm not quite finished yet - just after where you described you thought you would stop, and I'm feeling the same way but I really have to sleep - but

Did I miss a scene where Tennembaum gave you the tonic to cure 'Lil Sisters? Or does everybody in the city have that plasmid?

Mau ®

Got my SE yesterday. Its truly a work of art <3 It was pretty hard to find too... well at least the PS3 version of it was hard to find. The 360 version was everywhere, I feel like the ship ratio between both versions was 5:1. Not too surprising I guess since Bioshock 1 bombed on PS3.

Anyway I played for like 2 hours. The game is great and the whole "rapture feel" is left intact. I forgot how shitty the gunplay is though :lol

Looking forward to playing some more.

Truant

Jintor said:
I'm not quite finished yet - just after where you described you thought you would stop, and I'm feeling the same way but I really have to sleep - but

Did I miss a scene where Tennembaum gave you the tonic to cure 'Lil Sisters? Or does everybody in the city have that plasmid?

Just another plothole, I guess.

Anyway,

Here's a little thing that always annoyed me. I feel that you basically can do anything in this game. I wish the game forced you to specialize more, but also reward you for it. Like, if you put everything into hacking, you'd get stuff that other people wouldn't, but you'd also miss out on a lot of stuff.

System Shock 2 did it this way, and it's much more rewarding.

I finished my second "shit I don't really want to do" playthrough today. Got the trophies for research, power to the people stations, audio diaries, traps and others. Now I just need 4 more trophies, and three of them are multiplayer. :/ Saw a lot of stuff on my second playthrough I missed on the first one.
Completely missed the orphanage my first time through, and found Schrodinger.

Spriig

Banned
rainking187 said:
I finished my second "shit I don't really want to do" playthrough today. Got the trophies for research, power to the people stations, audio diaries, traps and others. Now I just need 4 more trophies, and three of them are multiplayer. :/ Saw a lot of stuff on my second playthrough I missed on the first one.
Completely missed the orphanage my first time through, and found Schrodinger.
I'm in the same boat. I got 100% on the original Bioshock and really wanted to do the same for the sequel but I really can't see my self getting to level 40.

Nemesis_

Does anyone know if they could track me down a higher resolution version of this artwork?

Sofia_Lamb.png

I cannot find anything anywhere. =(

hamchan

Man this game got good at the end. Bad at the start, good at the end, pretty much the reverse of the first bioshock. :lol

This game became easy mode once I got decoy. Seriously, what an overpowered plasmid. Use it and enemies and turrets will completely ignore you unless you unload like 20 bullets in their back. Even if you get their aggro if you put another decoy they'll soon forget about you again! I finished half the game using decoy. Also (endgame spoilers)
Eleanor is amazing. In the last quarter I spent more time watching her own everything than actually fighting myself.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel like wading through this thread in risk of stumbling upon spoilers and the like, but can anyone who fixed their PC crash-to-windows bug please link me the cure? It seems to happen a lot during cut-scenes, though not exclusively. Really want to play this game (especially after beating Bioshock 1 recently) but quick-saving every 3 minutes to make sure I don't lose any progress is just... dull...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
crap. I got stuck, I'm on the siren alley level and I'v nearly completed it but missed some little sisters

it gives me the warning but I can't seem to get back out of plaza hedone any further back. am I screwed?

edit: Found it, I'm just half retarded when doors aren't marked on the map, i think 'i've checked there' then forget about it. door was in the forgotten place.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
can someone please explain to me what the fuck is going on with the respawns? I love this game but this particular annoyance is driving me N U T S

When I clear room A I want it to be cleared for the rest of the god damn game , I dont want it to be filled with splicers as soon as I save and or reload or go to another room for 5 seconds....

Neiteio

Wow. I believe I'm halfway through Siren Alley (
I just opened the door with the code from Daniel Wales
), and I can safely say this level sits right up there with the best of the best.

Love the Rumblers. Love the spear gun. Love the Spider Splicers. Love the backstory of the Wales brothers. Love the juxtaposition of religious imagery in a red light district. Love the light and shadows and fine attention to detail in every nook and cranny. Simply inspired design and execution all around.

My only beef with the game so far is the glitchiness. I've only experienced one so far -- the looping violin music cue in Pauper's Drop, en route to Grace -- and that resolved itself upon boarding the train to leave the area. But I hear there are other glitches that I fear I may encounter. I hope that as with the first game on PS3, 2K preps a patch package that irons out the kinks so people don't experience glitches in an otherwise airtight experience.

And I do consider it airtight. The story is focused, the characters memorable (especially Augustus "Fat hookah too dim to spot a wooden nickel" Sinclair), and the chance to explore the older districts of Rapture, from its most decadent resorts to its lowliest slums, more than justifies this sequel's existence. The environments feel just as lived-in as before. They're less blatantly showboating (which is neither a good nor bad thing), but the game still has a taste for the theatrics.

All in all, at this point halfway through (I think?), it's a great expansion of the BioShock mythos. Lots of people here are comparing the first to the second, but I don't see myself thinking of it that way. They're two halves to a whole, in my opinion; each part of the greater Rapture tale that is well-worth experiencing in its entirety.

They just need a patch to fix the glitches. It's a SHAME I should have to turn off the music to make it through the latter half of Pauper's Drop.

(Speaking of which, what an amazing level. Really feels like all Rapture's miseries trickled down into one hellhole of a ghetto.)

CozMick

Banned
Corky said:
can someone please explain to me what the fuck is going on with the respawns? I love this game but this particular annoyance is driving me N U T S

When I clear room A I want it to be cleared for the rest of the god damn game , I dont want it to be filled with splicers as soon as I save and or reload or go to another room for 5 seconds....

Real Big Daddy's don't use saves.

Ridley327

Corky said:

If you're not at the last section in
Fontaine Futuristics
, then I can safely warn you that you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to enemy respawns. :lol

If you are, though, then yes it's really really dumb since there's one room in particular where it never fails to spawn a couple of Leadheads, a Houdini and
an Alpha Series
when you get more than 30 feet away from it.

In Dionysus. Damn, this game is much harder than the original. When you get attacked by a horde of splicers and they start shooting you and whacking you, it is tough. If you have insufficient health, you die. If you are too slow with med kits, you die. It gets really chaotic.

Pretty challenging & fun.

I doubt I'll get all the tapes and I know I missed some other achievements. Will definitely play through again.

BTW, what is the best plasmid for the splicer horde? Shock them? Burn them? Decoy?

Sanic

I unfortunatley got caught up with other things this past week, so i'm only a bit into
Siren's Alley
but I will say that unlike a lot of people, I don't find myself going back and comparing every little detail about it to the first Bioshock. To me, Bioshock 1 and 2 feel like two halves that make up a whole. I'll post more detailed impressions whenever I finish the game.

Corky said:

There are lots of people still living in rapture. Get over it. I like it . . . I kinda need them for the money & ammo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i just noticed that this, like the first game has a way overpowered freeze power. Big sisters are easy to take down with freeze.

mattso

Mr. Durden said:
When do you get this? I mostly go around with the freeze/shock plasmid and my drill anyways so I'd probably benefit from this plasmid quite a bit.

LowParry

So after about an hour in, I'm just not feeling this game. After playing the first one, I feel as if I'm just doing a relay. I dunno. I'm gonna put in a couple more hours but I think I may just pass on this for good if I keep getting the same vibe from it. It's a really good game. Don't get me wrong. I just find myself not enjoying it like the first one.

Redd

Obsessed said:
Edit: I also got that looping music glitch in Pauper's Drop. It almost ruined the level for me, but thankfully I was able to tune it out at times.

Yeah I got that crap too for some reason. I kept turning around here and there in fear a Big Sister was going to show up and fight me.

Papercuts

catfish said:
i just noticed that this, like the first game has a way overpowered freeze power. Big sisters are easy to take down with freeze.

I think to remedy the first game having a ridiculous one-two punch with electroshock and the wrench, they just overpowered everything else. :lol

I don't even use winter blast, I just throw down a decoy(which reverses all damage put into it back at them, AND heals me) then throw out some bees which then scope out a few people, stay by the corpse until someone else goes near, and last nearly forever with a single use.

Zeliard

catfish said:

Freeze is so hilariously overpowered. Freeze them and if you have high drill power, go up and drill the shit out of them. Or if you have the headshot tonic, shoot a few heavy rivets at their dome. When they unfreeze, repeat.

I try not to use it much because it's clearly unbalanced. Much like in the first game, my favorite plasmid so far is Hypnotize. I got a Brute to rage and attack a Big Daddy, only for the BD to shove about 50 rockets up the Brute's ass.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wait i'm a little confused, I rescue all the little sisters, does the 'little sisters in this level' icon mean, if they are with a big daddy then I need to rescue them, if there is an icon withOUT a big daddy then I've done my job?

I just spent 20 minutes looking for 3 little sisters to find there are no more on the level :/

Also, i'm gonna quit it with the freeze, it's mental.

Papercuts

catfish said:
wait i'm a little confused, I rescue all the little sisters, does the 'little sisters in this level' icon mean, if they are with a big daddy then I need to rescue them, if there is an icon withOUT a big daddy then I've done my job?

I just spent 20 minutes looking for 3 little sisters to find there are no more on the level :/

Also, i'm gonna quit it with the freeze, it's mental.

Yeah, that's right. What level is it?

Papercuts said:
They really lacked attention to detail here, some atrocious looking stuff in the late game. I love looking out the windows, and for anyone who does the same, don't do it in the later sections. They didn't even have ground at one point. :\
uh...isn't that the point of that area?
the giant abyss?

Volcynika

Just beat the game on Hard, thought the whole last tail of the game was pretty awesome!

Also, part of the special thanks in the credits: "53,596 zombies were killed in the making of this game."

:lol

Papercuts

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
uh...isn't that the point of that area?
the giant abyss?

No, that place was cool looking. I mean Fontaine Futuristics, they didn't have ground at all looking out one of the big windows(the office that had a security thing to destroy). You just saw some big weeds and bubbles floating on and endless blue abyss. Another window there had ground, but you could clearly see the ending of it and the small square of land they made.

Played around 8 hours so far....the sound effects are the best since dead space... genuinely detailed and creepy.

also the story pulls you along... i'm genuinely interested to see just what the significance of eleanor is, what lamb is really up to, what the blue butterflies are about, and what ryan has got to do with it all... for he surely will.

there's deft artistry at hand too, the environments feel lived in... at one point i found a dirty mattress in a corner with a lamp and a few dollars stuffed under the edge, how tragic...? Or a woman, dead in bed, part of ceiling having fallen on her... and her pet cat dead in it's cage beside her...

and.... a nest gen game with COLOUR!

i'm also loving the different angle: bioshock 1 painted rapture as a utopia broken by the actions of a few... bioshock 2 tells a story of a city creaking under the weight of fraud, unrest, and disillusionment.

i am loving this - saying it's only like the first game is a bit short sighted, as first game was ace.

I just installed Windows 7 Professional over ye olde Windows 7 RC. I had to re-install all my shit as the windows.old folder is one of the worst ideas in history.

Anyway, now the game doesn't launch and the GFW Live client is fucked as well. I guess this is the dreaded error that everyone is talking about... it was all going swimmingly until now. I was so wanting to play this today.

Is the enemy re-spawning thing a glitch or is it intentional? If it's the former then I might wait until it is patched before I jump back into the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Obsessed said:
Is the enemy re-spawning thing a glitch or is it intentional? If it's the former then I might wait until it is patched before I jump back into the game.

sometimes it really feels like a glitch for me its been like this

go to the mens restroom, kill enemy
go to the ladies restroom, fight enemy, kill enemy, got hurt...but oh wait there was some health back in the mens restrom

go to the mens restroom, two splicers standing there chilling waiting for me.

I wouldnt care at all if a splicer wouldnt take two or three healthbars of yur health if you miss a couple of shots.

edit : but obviously its intentional and given the response from some people here it seems it really only bothers me :/

Red

Obsessed said:
It would be awfully boring if the Splicers didn't respawn. They're only inconveniences anyway. Everything after Pauper's Drop is a breeze. I thought the game was really difficult for the first couple areas, but after a few hours I never even came close to dying. Spent the second half of the game with a full wallet and maxed out health packs/eve vials.

I need to play through it again, give it a second chance. I see a lot of praise for it in this thread, but I can't appreciate most of it. It's a good game... I just expected more. Not nearly as engaging as the first.

Quagm1r3 said:
Question; is there a way to get the
unstable teleport plasmid
? Or is it just in the game to mock you?
I don't think so, because
if you touch/follow it enough, you get a really cool sequence that leads to another plasmid

One of my favourite parts of the game, that.

Papercuts

Quagm1r3 said:
Question; is there a way to get the
unstable teleport plasmid
? Or is it just in the game to mock you?

Yeah, you can get it. After you find it 4-5 times you warp all over the place and go into some weird area where you pick up the actual tonic(which isn't a teleport, IIRC it ends up being vending expert 2).

NinjaFusion said:
i'm also loving the different angle: bioshock 1 painted rapture as a utopia broken by the actions of a few... bioshock 2 tells a story of a city creaking under the weight of fraud, unrest, and disillusionment.
I think this is a good comparison. BioShock showed the areas of the elite, the wealthy, and the privileged. BioShock 2 takes a different angle and shows you the poor, the unfortunate, and the helpless.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so in love with this game at the moment, it's crazy.

Top Bottom