• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

TheFreshPrince

Going for all the achievements, but I'm getting a bit worried about Research Master. I read that there aren't Thuggish Splicers in the later levels.....I haven't been researching a ton, so am I screwed, or are there more Thuggish in
Siren Alley and later levels??

Thanks!

I'm enjoying Bioshock 2 more than I thought I would. Even though the first game was unique and objectively a "great game", I wasn't as nuts over it as many were. At the time I thought it was the setting but for some reason, I'm really enjoying the environments this time around. Rapture seems to have grown on me. :lol

Might just have to replay the original after I'm done.

LiK

TheFreshPrince said:
Going for all the achievements, but I'm getting a bit worried about Research Master. I read that there aren't Thuggish Splicers in the later levels.....I haven't been researching a ton, so am I screwed, or are there more Thuggish in

Thanks!

i didn't figure out the research function until later so that's why i missed it. you can research everyone later in the game except for the
thuggish ones
. IIRC, i think you might find them in
Siren Alley
. don't remember exactly

I've been messing around with multiplayer some more. Does anyone else have trouble finding matches? It seems like there aren't a lot of people playing it on PSN.

My favorite modes so far are: Capture the Little Sister, Turf War, and Civil War. I'd start playing the others, but nobody seems to ever play them.

Edit: I also got that looping music glitch in Pauper's Drop. It almost ruined the level for me, but thankfully I was able to tune it out at times.

LiK

Obsessed said:
Edit: I also got that looping music glitch in Pauper's Drop. It almost ruined the level for me, but thankfully I was able to tune it out at times.

shit, thought i was the only one. it appeared after i loaded a game. i couldn't get rid of it at all (rebooting/reloading etc). i had to turn down the music in the options just to get rid of it. i couldn't tune it out since it was one of those "something's gonne fuck you up" type of music. it goes away when you reach the next chapter.

Quagm1r3

Just beat the game on hard!

Having played the first one, I found the gameplay of 2 different enough to be fun but similar enough to feel familiar. I had A LOT of fun with the drill (as I'm sure you all did).

I thought the story wasn't nearly as good.
I expected a twist or at least SOMETHING unexpected towards the ending but it pretty much happened the way I imagined it. I sort of expected Sinclare to end up a bad guy when Tenenbaum said that she couldn't trust Sinclare. Speaking of whom, what the hell happened to Tenenbaum? She disappeared after the first level and never came back.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't unlock a harder difficulty when I beat the game on hard. Didn't this happen with the first one?

MP is pretty much unplayable. Some people can tolerate constant rubber banding but I just can't stand it. Hopefully this is patchable, but I don't have my hopes up.

scoobs

Okay, PC gamer here and any objective opinions would be helpful. Bioshock2 or mass effect 2?? I can't decided what to do w/ my money!!

LiK

Quagm1r3 said:
Just beat the game on hard!

Having played the first one, I found the gameplay of 2 different enough to be fun but similar enough to feel familiar. I had A LOT of fun with the drill (as I'm sure you all did).

I thought the story wasn't nearly as good.
I expected a twist or at least SOMETHING unexpected towards the ending but it pretty much happened the way I imagined it. I sort of wanted Sinclare to end up a bad guy but oh well.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't unlock a harder difficulty when I beat the game on hard. Didn't this happen with the first one?

MP is pretty much unplayable. Some people can tolerate constant rubber banding but I just can't stand it. Hopefully this is patchable, but I don't have my hopes up.

i thought it was better that
Sinclair was a good guy cuz if he turned evil too, that would be the same as the first game. his death made me more sad cuz i liked him.

scoobs said:
Okay, PC gamer here and any objective opinions would be helpful. Bioshock2 or mass effect 2?? I can't decided what to do w/ my money!!

look at my avatar ;)

Oreoleo

scoobs said:

Apples and oranges dude. Though objectively ME2 is probably the better game though I haven't played it yet.

Quagm1r3

scoobs said:

Having played both, it's hard to say. I felt waaay more addicted to Mass Effect when I was playing it, but you can't really go wrong with either one. Bioshock has MP unlike ME, but it's currently unplayable.

Quagm1r3

LiK said:
i thought it was better that
Sinclair was a good guy cuz if he turned evil too, that would be the same as the first game. his death made me more sad cuz i liked him.

Good point.
And I guess it was sort of a 'twist' when Lamb shoved the pillow into Elanor's face. Also, that was fucking creepy :lol

scoobs

Quagm1r3 said:
Having played both, it's hard to say. I felt waaay more addicted to Mass Effect when I was playing it, but you can't really go wrong with either one. Bioshock has MP unlike ME, but it's currently unplayable.
I really doubt I'll ever play bioshock's multiplayer considering I'm so hooked to bad company 2 right now, so mass effect for singleplayer experience?

LiK

Quagm1r3 said:
Good point.
And I guess it was sort of a 'twist' when Lamb shoved the pillow into Elanor's face. Also, that was fucking creepy :lol

yea, that was quite disturbing

scoobs said:
I really doubt I'll ever play bioshock's multiplayer considering I'm so hooked to bad company 2 right now, so mass effect for singleplayer experience?

ME2 is a better experience, imo. but that depends on your mood. ME is great if you like a ton of characters to interact with. Bioshock2 is obviously a more lonely experience.

eek5

TheFreshPrince said:

Thanks!
there are thuggish splicers in the last level

LiK

eek5 said:
there are thuggish splicers in the last level

which part???? i tried taking pics of every enemy and none of them appeared. the lowest that kept popping up were Leadheads

edgefusion

Quagm1r3 said:
Good point.

It was creepy, but I never really connected with Eleanor so I just didn't care it was happening. Eleanor as a whole to me felt like a character I knew I was supposed to care about (because Delta) does, but I just didn't. You're never given any actual reason to like this character, or even trust her.
I spent the whole game waiting for Eleanor to stab me in the back or do something weird. When she donned the Big Sister suit I thought "Ah this is it, she's gonna fuck me over" but no she gets a sexy pose but carries on as normal otherwise.

I've said it before but I'll see it again. Tenenbaum wtf? What was the point of her being in the game at all? I'd really like to hear someone on the development team explain what they were thinking when they concocted her storyline which consisted entirely of "Hi, lol, bye".

WEGGLES

TheFreshPrince said:

Thanks!
I got research master on my first playthru no problem fwiw.
All I did was equip my cam between fire fights and get footage of the first enemy I came across.

Quagm1r3 said:

Could you explain the term rubber banding to me? I thought I knew what it meant, but my definition makes no sense in this context...

Also what platform are you playing on? I've been playing on the PS3 and pretty much all my matches have been great/lag free. I think I've only had one unplayable (due to lag) match over the course of many many matches.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit at the Siren Alley finale! very cool.

Dionysus Park seems like a pretty interesting area so far. I can understand the problem people were having with the textures, though. It seems like a noticeable visual downgrade from the rest of the game.

good cool game out of cool cool game so far

edgefusion

Obsessed said:
Could you explain the term rubber banding to me? I thought I knew what it meant, but my definition makes no sense in this context...

Also what platform are you playing on? I've been playing on the PS3 and pretty much all my matches have been great/lag free. I think I've only had one unplayable (due to lag) match over the course of many many matches.

Rubber banding is usually used in reference to racing games where opponent AI will suddenly become super awesome when they drop behind in order to catch up and provide a more exciting and challenging experience. But it's also used to describe lag (as it is here) whereby you see a player run several feet forward, then suddenly snap back to their original position as if on a rubberband.

I'm on PS3 too and I've not noticed too much lag either but I find it's occasionally very choppy which seems more like the engine not being designed for this much stuff to be going on than a latency problem.

LiK

Rez said:
holy shit at the Siren Alley finale! very cool.

Dionysus Park seems like a pretty interesting area so far. I can understand the problem people were having with the textures, though. It seems like a noticeable visual downgrade from the rest of the game.

good cool game out of cool cool game so far

more memorable moments await you! the Siren Alley end is nothing :)

WEGGLES

Obsessed said:

Rubberbanding is used in 2 ways.
1. In mario kart, the CPU players will "rubber band" to keep up with you despite being pommeled with 4 shells. 18 bananas and you having a golden mushroom.

2. Online games. When it lags a bunch and it feels like you're almost on a rubber teather that "pulls" you back to where you were a few seconds eariler.

I'm playing on 360 and it's all laggy.

mikeGFG

Banned
you know, one thing I never liked about bioshock: too many weapons, plasmids and ammo-types.

when grenades are flying, splicers are teleporting and big daddies are charging, i'm juggling between my camera, two or three plasmids, a weapon, and its respective ammo. its fucking retarded, and laborious imo.

I finally said screw it, and equipped the tonic that disabled all weapons but the drill. made the last half of the game much more enjoyable.

Oreoleo

^^^ One thing the game could have really used is an inventory screen that pauses the game to switch weapon/plasmid/ammo type. Trying to figure out how to map everything in an efficient way so I could cycle through everything on the fly took me like half the game to get down.

edgefusion

Orellio said:
^^^ One thing the game could have really used is an inventory screen that pauses the game to switch weapon/plasmid/ammo type. Trying to figure out how to map everything in an efficient way so I could cycle through everything on the fly took me like half the game to get down.

You mean like when you hold down L1 or R1 (PS3) to bring up the weapon/plasmid wheels that also pauses the game?

Oreoleo

edgefusion said:
You mean like when you hold down L1 or R1 (PS3) to bring up the weapon/plasmid wheels that also pauses the game?

Yeah, sorry, I'm referring to the PC version where apparently such a feature is nowhere to be found.

LiK

edgefusion said:

when you upgrade the plasmids, their locations changed. that was annoying. or was i able to lock them into one spot?

Spirit3

Orellio said:

The price of getting the PC version. Where as the Xbox and PS3 version allow for a radial pause menu it sounds like the PC doesn't. Unless of course you have completely bypassed the fact you can pause the combat on the console versions?

Excluding the multiplayer, which is fun but terribly inconsistent, this game is quite good but so far it feels like the less inspired levels in the first Bioshock. The locations haven't quite awed me as much as the first game, but the improvements in combat make up for the lack of diversity in environments.

edgefusion

Orellio said:
Yeah, sorry, I'm referring to the PC version where apparently such a feature is nowhere to be found.

Wow really? How do you switch weapons on the PC version? You press a button and it cycles through them all?

Narag

edgefusion said:
Wow really? How do you switch weapons on the PC version? You press a button and it cycles through them all?

Numbers or mouse wheel. Mouse3 cycles through ammo types by default.

Oreoleo

edgefusion said:

I mean, you have the mouse wheel to cycle through guns, and 1-8 keys to select individual weapons, and the F1-8 keys for plasmids. There are "previous/next plasmid" keys but obviously only one mouse wheel so figuring out where to bind those was a little challenging.

deathberry

Neo Member
Finished it and got the good ending, and I like these "happy endings" in games, especially when you've been through so many traumatic experiences throughout the campaign. My friend got the "bad ending", which in his opinion was the good ending since he felt more satisfied.You know, the one where...
everybody dies including Eleanor, except you, and their bodies are floating in the rough seas when you reach the surface
:lol .

I really like the characters and the ending in this game. I felt that everyone had a valid reason to do the things they did, Lamb, Sinclaire, the other bosses. They were just caught up in a messed up situation, and I was their saviour, despite the error of their ways, (eg Grace).

The ending of the first Bioshock left a really bad impression on me, and all those fetch quests pissed me off to no end. I wish they didn't have a fetch quest in the sequel either, but at least it wasn't as painstakingly long as the first one.

Still, I'm more interested in what Plasmids you guys relied on most. Surely most of you didn't switch between 4+ plasmids. I relied most on the Killer Bees and the Security Hack (Blue ball) all up to lvl 3. That plus the Drill Dash with Frozen Drill Gene Tonic = I WIN.

Also, I like the trap bullets and mini-turrets; aka the
Proximity Mines and Laptop Guns from Perfect dark
:lol

Oreoleo

deathberry said:
Still, I'm more interested in what Plasmids you guys relied on most. Surely most of you didn't switch between 4+ plasmids. I relied most on the Killer Bees and the Security Hack (Blue ball) all up to lvl 3. That plus the Drill Dash with Frozen Drill Gene Tonic = I WIN.

Used the shock and hypnotize the most, with some of the security tracking later in the game (calling in bots is sweet). Didn't really bother with fire, ice, scout or decoy at all.

Firestorm

Orellio said:
I mean, you have the mouse wheel to cycle through guns, and 1-8 keys to select individual weapons, and the F1-8 keys for plasmids. There are "previous/next plasmid" keys but obviously only one mouse wheel so figuring out where to bind those was a little challenging.
I'm using the Forward/Back buttons on my MX518 for that. F# keys are too far up.

Oreoleo

Firestorm said:
I'm using the Forward/Back buttons on my MX518 for that. F# keys are too far up.

One of my long-standing PC gaming tropes is my mouse 4 is ALWAYS 'use' and mouse 5 is either melee or my mic button if it's an online/source game, so those were out for me. I ended up making it Q and F for previous/next respectively so I could reach them with my WASD hand without too much effort.

I never used the F# keys either.

Firestorm

Orellio said:
One of my long-standing PC gaming tropes is my mouse 4 is ALWAYS 'use' and mouse 5 is either melee or my mic button if it's an online/source game, so those were out for me. I ended up making it Q and F for previous/next respectively so I could reach them with my WASD hand without too much effort.

I never used the F# keys either.
Yeah, I usually use Back for mic too, but BioShock 2 seems to have an open mic. Always on.

Red

Just finished. I have no idea what the story was or why I should have cared about it. Gunplay was exponentially better than the first game, everything else was horribly disappointing. Someone care to give me the cliffnotes version of the plot?

Who is Delta? Apparently he came from the surface, but... so what? How/why was his body available to Eleanor after ten years? What was the big deal about his bond with Eleanor? What was Dr. Lamb hoping to gain from siphoning Rapture into her daughter? What happened to Tenenbaum, and how the hell did Sinclair become an alpha daddy?

I felt totally disinterested almost the whole way through the game, but I picked up every audio diary and still have no clue about what the hell was going on :lol

At least the multiplayer was a nice surprise.

Neiteio said:
I'm at
Grace
in Pauper's Drop, loving the game so far... But I think I'm experiencing some sort of glitch. I saved in the
Limbo Room
; ever since, this suspenseful violin cue has been looping over and over and over and over... I've turned off the music... I'm tempted to start over from a save state at the beginning of Pauper's Drop... Does anyone know what causes this, and how to fix it???

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about.

These people experienced it too.

Does the loop ever end???

this!

played this part just now, of course it has to be the the first time I played using headphones in the dark. I almost couldn't take it, but I powered through.

LiK

thedrizzle34 said:
this!

played this part just now, of course it has to be the the first time I played using headphones in the dark. I almost couldn't take it, but I powered through.

go to options and turn the music volume down to 10% or 0%. i couldn't take it after 5 min of loops.

deathberry said:
Finished it and got the good ending, and I like these "happy endings" in games, especially when you've been through so many traumatic experiences throughout the campaign. My friend got the "bad ending", which in his opinion was the good ending since he felt more satisfied.You know, the one where...
everybody dies including Eleanor, except you, and their bodies are floating in the rough seas when you reach the surface
:lol .

I think I got a worse ending than that actually.

deathberry

Neo Member
zero margin said:
I think I got a worse ending than that actually.

Did you
opt to sacrifice yourself and let Eleanor live?
Cos that really IS the worst possible ending, you know, like Mass Effect 2's bad ending :lol

Btw, I think that you can only get the bad ending if you Harvest all the Little Sisters, or at least the majority of them.

deathberry

Neo Member
Crunched said:
Who is Delta? Apparently he came from the surface, but... so what? How/why was his body available to Eleanor after ten years? What was the big deal about his bond with Eleanor? What was Dr. Lamb hoping to gain from siphoning Rapture into her daughter? What happened to Tenenbaum, and how the hell did Sinclair become an alpha daddy?

This is what I got from the story, so I maybe off on some of these; other's can correct me.

Here goes...
Delta was
a prototype Big Daddy created before the events of the first game. Back then Rapture was still alive and kicking. When Delta was still a human, I don't think he intended to be a Big Daddy, and was somehow forced/ fooled into becoming a test subject. This was evidenced when Eleanor tells you in one of the visions that Lamb's boyfriend(?) [the guys who asks you to take of all the Little Sisters in that level] was one of the people who had a hand in making you a Big Daddy.

Delta's
body was always there, in a comatose state is my presumption. Eleanor put Delta's consciousness or essence or something into a Little Sister in the second last level, she says this is how she brought us back. In the good ending SECOND SPOILER she extracts your consciousness into herself, and you're able to live through her. SECOND SPOILER END.

Eleanor was that Little Sister you see in the beginning, where Lamb orders you to shoot yourself in the head.
At that time the forced/faked relationship between Big Daddies and Little Sisters wasn't created, so Eleanor in essence is like our daughter. Both Delta and Eleanor consider each other to be Father/ Daughter.

Lamb was using Eleanor to
create the Big Sisters. Anything beyond that, I'm not sure. She just wanted to hold Rapture together and avoid complete destruction. Where Eleanor came into play, I can't say for sure.

What happened to Tenenbaum? Fuck if I know. She probably died when Rapture was destroyed. The only person I remember seeing in the good ending was Eleanor, Lamb, the Little Sisters and Delta.

scoobs

Ugh, didn't realize this was a games for windows live game. Had to create an account and all this crap just to play the game :( blah

This2x4Skeleton

Neo Member
haha..wow.
Bioshock actually gave me a nightmare.

I was stalking a Big Daddy on the roofs of the Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer level Underpass. He ended up swatting me off the roof and into the canal/drain system thing and I turned into a dog for some reason. I got washed downstream and off of a waterfall and found some cave with an asian woman, some guy, and a female doctor in it who seemed to know me. They were imprisoned in a small cave, floating in water filled with feces. I found a way out, since I was a dog I was able to swim beneath this small water tunnel and out the other side. The doctor kept screaming for me not to leave her but I told her I'd be back for her. So when I reached the other side it appeared to be the level Quarry from MW2/a prison. I somehow turned back into a human and immediately started getting attacked by splicers. I don't know what they're called but they're the bigger ones that sometimes crawl on walls and sorta resemble clowns a bit. So I was like no biggie, I can take them. so I stayed in 1 area for a bit fighting them off, but they just kept coming at me from every direction. I couldn't turn around without them jumping on my face and springboarding off. So I noticed my healthbar start to reach the end and realized I couldn't win (lulz). So I just ran my balls off and they just started appearing behind every little obstacle. I was like a football player just deeking them out. The adrenaline was definitely pumping. There were all these alternate paths to take and I didn't know which one would lead to a dead end or not so I just took the closest one which took me INSIDE the prison where I was cornered and horribly mauled. The end.

It's 3 am. Time to go play some Bioshocks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They really lacked attention to detail here, some atrocious looking stuff in the late game. I love looking out the windows, and for anyone who does the same, don't do it in the later sections. They didn't even have ground at one point. :\

Near the end spoiler:
And what in the holy shit at the Little Sister segment. And I don't even mean the content of how the sister sees Rapture, I mean the graphics. The game isn't a looker, but it seemed like the textures didn't load for that whole segment, it was hideous.

Nemesis_

Papercuts said:
They really lacked attention to detail here, some atrocious looking stuff in the late game. I love looking out the windows, and for anyone who does the same, don't do it in the later sections. They didn't even have ground at one point. :\

Near the end spoiler:
And what in the holy shit at the Little Sister segment. And I don't even mean the content of how the sister sees Rapture, I mean the graphics. The game isn't a looker, but it seemed like the textures didn't load for that whole segment, it was hideous.

To be honest I just felt like I was bombarded with bloom.

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
What the FUCK was the point of even having Tenenbaum in the game?

I seriously do not understand. >_>

fan service. and it was poorly done

she should've been in the game like
Fontaine's
audio logs. his logs were quite cool for us Bioshock 1 fans

Top Bottom