• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

TheFreshPrince

Crunched said:
One will attack after every couple Little Sisters you deal with.

Fixed for the spoiler-sensitive.

This always scares the shit out of me. I'm playing on Hard with no Vita-Chambers. Big Sisters are nearly impossible to take down without running away and finding good cover. Heck, even then, they randomly will appear right in front of you because of their amazing jumping ability, haha.

Anyone have solid strategies for Big Sisters? Mine has been to
find a vent right by the train station...save the Little Sister and hightail it on to the next level!!

LiK

TheFreshPrince said:
This always scares the shit out of me. I'm playing on Hard with no Vita-Chambers. Big Sisters are nearly impossible to take down without running away and finding good cover. Heck, even then, they randomly will appear right in front of you because of their amazing jumping ability, haha.

find a vent right by the train station...save the Little Sister and hightail it on to the next level!!

Ice is your friend. freezes them like all normal enemies. combine that with Electro for additional dmg.

Niblet

I figured the plasmid/tonics would be good for saving sisters. Can anyone vouch for harvesting sisters in terms of gameplay rewards?

Niblet said:
I figured the plasmid/tonics would be good for saving sisters. Can anyone vouch for harvesting sisters in terms of gameplay rewards?

Since I've been saving sisters I'll randomly get bonus awards for the ones I saved every so often, it's pretty sweet

Red

TheFreshPrince said:

Uh, I think they're really terribly easy and was expecting a better challenge. Like you, I'm playing on hard with no vita chambers. My strategies: 1. hide behind a pillar, using it as a shield against their psychic debris, peeking out to incinerate + machine gun; 2.
make sure I'm by a Big Daddy when the fight starts, since she'll automatically start attacking him instead of you, pretty much giving you full reign on the battlefield.

Looks like I'll have to put the game on hiatus for a while. Can't even get to the main menu. Crashes consistently as soon as the intro vids have finished playing.

TTG

TheFreshPrince said:

Distractions! Turrets, security bots, splicer that will inevitably come running out... they hate all that stuff. That and the anti-armor ammo filled to the max on the machine gun before every fight.

Narag

Crunched said:
Uh, I think they're really terribly easy and was expecting a better challenge. Like you, I'm playing on hard with no vita chambers. My strategies: 1. hide behind a pillar, using it as a shield against their psychic debris, peeking out to incinerate + machine gun; 2.
make sure I'm by a Big Daddy when the fight starts, since she'll automatically start attacking him instead and vice versa.

Looks like I'll have to put the game on hiatus for a while. Can't even get to the main menu. Crashes consistently as soon as the intro vids have finished playing.

I laughed so hard on my last Big Sister fight when a Rosie walked up and basically shoved her over to finish off the 1% of health she had left.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Volcynika said:
Just made it to Siren Alley before I quit for the night, but yeesh.
Big Daddies with rocket launchers? D:

Looks like it'll be interesting when I start it back up again!

Also the multiplayer is now awful for me (lag fest, mechanics not functioning correctly), it sucks. I wanted to play it a good bit this weekend :/

Telekinesis! I find them to be pretty easy with that, but if you get sloppy and they drop a miniturret it can go horribly wrong.

LiK

Papercuts said:
Telekinesis! I find them to be pretty easy with that, but if you get sloppy and they drop a miniturret it can go horribly wrong.

those miniturrets are uber annoying

tenritsu

Banned
LiK said:
yea, he keeps things light and cheery
Everything from the character's voice to his quotes are just so great.

Augustus Sinclair is my favorite character! Long live Sinclair
until you are forced to murder him

Nemesis_

I just use Decoy, then run up to her and drill the fuck out of her. Then as she notices that it's ME drilling her, I use the Drill Dash move to take out a bigger chunk. I have Telekinesis on hand too, just to catch any crap she throws at me.

I definitely found it much breezier after formulating this strategy. And I'm playing on hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nemesis556 said:
I just use Decoy, then run up to her and drill the fuck out of her. Then as she notices that it's ME drilling her, I use the Drill Dash move to take out a bigger chunk. I have Telekinesis on hand too, just to catch any crap she throws at me.

I definitely found it much breezier after formulating this strategy. And I'm playing on hard.

Decoy is RIDICULOUS in this game, same with insect swarm. Eventually decoy becomes a quick way for the enemies to kill themselves and for you to heal up, and insect swarm is basically a proximity bomb after someone dies and another goes near the corpse, they even stun big sisters/daddies. Both were pretty useless in 1(though in that you just needed electroshock + wrench), but after those two get leveled up here you barely have to fire a shot.

Red

If anyone has input about my technical issues, I'd really appreciate it. I can't figure out what's going on :(

LiK

Crunched said:
If anyone has input about my technical issues, I'd really appreciate it. I can't figure out what's going on :(

i read that the PC version has DRM issues. maybe that's the reason

Crunched said:
Are you trying to use your cards AA features? Some people say that crashes it but if you turn them off, it works fine.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OMG Guys please I need help!!!!

I am either failing to do something, or have come to what appears to be a bug that is preventing me from progressing further into the game.....

SPOILERS

I am in the last chapter of the story mode, Inner Persephone, where the goal is to help Eleanor gather all the little sisters by defeating all the splicers and then pressing the "Call" buttons in both the Infirmary and Therapy Pediatric Wards. I have manged to successfully secure the pediatric ward in the Infirmary and pressing the call button in the ward worked no problem.

However, upon entering the Pediatric Ward in the Therapy Wing and clearing out all the enemies, pressing the "Call" button does absolutely NOTHING! I have looked everywhere for like an hour looking for every kind of clue as to what I'm missing or doing wrong and have found nothing. I am starting to get the feeling the game has bugged out on me because pressing the call button in the Infirmary section worked, while pressing it here gets no response from Eleanor, despite her being summoned and standing right there!

Please help me out guys. Is this is glitch or am I forgetting to do something properly? Am I supposed to secure the Infirmary or the Therapy ward first? Perhaps I did it in the wrong order?

HELP!!!

LiK

isamu said:
OMG Guys please I need help!!!!

I am either failing to do something, or have come to what appears to be a bug that is preventing me from progressing further into the game.....

SPOILERS

I am in the last chapter of the story mode, Inner Persephone, where the goal is to help Eleanor gather all the little sisters by defeating all the splicers and then pressing the "Call" buttons in both the Infirmary and Therapy Pediatric Wards. I have manged to successfully secure the pediatric ward in the Infirmary and pressing the call button in the ward worked no problem.

However, upon entering the Pediatric Ward in the Therapy Wing and clearing out all the enemies, pressing the "Call" button does absolutely NOTHING! I have looked everywhere for like an hour looking for every kind of clue as to what I'm missing or doing wrong and have found nothing. I am starting to get the feeling the game has bugged out on me because pressing the call button in the Infirmary section worked, while pressing it here gets no response from Eleanor, despite her being summoned and standing right there!

Please help me out guys. Is this is glitch or am I forgetting to do something properly? Am I supposed to secure the Infirmary or the Therapy ward first? Perhaps I did it in the wrong order?

HELP!!!

tried rebooting the game? cuz if the button didn't work there, you're glitched. worked for me. hope you have a save before that section

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ezekial45 said:
Just beat the game last night, but i got a few questions:

1. How was Delta able to use the Vita Chambers? Did they ever explain it in the audio logs? I know that how he was revived by them after his suicide, but i'm not sure how he was able to use them. Since they were supposedly tuned only to Ryan's DNA.

2. Theres no way to upgrade all the weapons, right?

3. Did Tenenbaum just leave Rapture?
Eleanor had some of Delta's DNA and eventually learned how the Vita Chambers worked. She basically modified them to recognize his DNA. She would control the other Little Sisters to help her do all of this.

2. No

3. Apparently.

eek5

deepbrown said:
End game spoiler:
I absolutely love how the little sisters see rapture
- all makes sense now!
That was awesome. :D

EatChildren said:
Yeah, begining to think I wont bother finishing it. The tedium is outweighing the fun factor. Maybe I'll jump into it every now and then and play a little but for the time being I think I'm done trying to like this.

Yeah I had to turn back on the quest arrow for the last part of the game and just run through it to get it over with. The backtracking and repetition was definitely getting to me. Good game but I'm never going to be replaying it, that's for sure.

Zabojnik

Any idea about when the widescreen fix for the PC version is coming? "Very soon" means nothing when you can't wait to play the game. :)

Played more of
Pauper's Drop last night
. I'm not finished with it yet, and I'm seven and a half hours into the game. Last night I acquired the drill dash, and I can tell I'll be using the drill a lot more. It's so freakin' good!

tenritsu said:
Everything from the character's voice to his quotes are just so great.

Augustus Sinclair is my favorite character! Long live Sinclair!

Are you serious? He's shocking. That accent is just horrifically bad.

BeeDog

Just finished up Pauper's Drop, good lord the map layout is headache-inducing. :lol Good shit so far though, finding the game to be better and less tedious than the first one (which was a 7/10 in my book).

I finished my first play-through tonight. While I didn't think the story or mood were on par with the first game I still thought it was great.

I got the feeling that in focusing on improving the gunplay, plasmid range and pacing they overlooked some things that made the first game such an amazing and cohesive experience. For example, I think that excluding the abilty to back-track through areas made it feel more like like a standard level-based FPS and less like a living city, and I also found that the game didn't have any particularly creepy moments. There were a few mild scares, but nothing really memorable wich suprises me as I thought that as one area that they were really going push. A lot of lost opurtunities in terms of revisiting old areas too as I think it would of made it feel more fitting with the first game.

Oh, before I forget, in my opninion anyone who says they completed the game in around eight hours rushed through way too quickly. Still, complaints aside, I thought the game was really good.

I've got a lot more thoughts I have floating around about the game but I can't be assed to elaborate now, I'm off to bed.

sam27368

Banned
Just finished, thoughts -

Loved the first one, but really didn't enjoy the second one. I was waiting constantly for the story to pick up but found it extremely dull. This certainly felt like a sequel for sequels sake. Also I think the ending was just as bad, just a little extended.

Freeze-Drill Dash never gets old :D

Had a mental fire fight earlier as I managed to piss off a lone big daddy by firing the shotgun at a splicer, next thing I know it says a big sister is coming so im like "fuckkkk!"
Theres security drones coming to help and I hypnotized the big daddy to fight her they battle it out then I spend a few mins running around trying to shoot her then more splicers come to join in :lol

Got up to the whore house bit then the damn game froze and I reckon ive lost a good half hour of time :(

Finished it. Really enjoyed the first couple of hours, felt it dragged in the middle - I felt that the people in charge of various sections seemed to only be needed for keys, and that the story part of their involvement was somewhat shoehorned in - and then it ended terrifically. I mean, that last hour of the game was as good an action game I've played in a while.

The story, for the most part, was good. As I say, some bits felt shoe-horned, and some bits felt ill-thought through (particularly to do with Big Sisters), and I really expected more
Mark Meltzer stuff - three audiotapes wasn't enough. I expected to be almost chasing him through the whole game, with him one step ahead the entire time, but there we go.
. I also thought that it was ridiculous that
Tenenbaum disappeared
with no rhyme or reason - again, another part of the game that felt like an afterthought. It might have been nice if
you'd heard exactly what was happening to Sinclair before the end, as well, rather than just having SURPRISE HE'S A DADDY NOW KILL HIM! - I personally didn't feel any bond with him at all, but I know some did, and it would have been good if that had paid off.

I'd play a third in a heartbeat. Clearly there's scope for one,
taking Eleanor and the little sisters elsewhere - perhaps to still involve Tenenbaum, given that she's presumably still kicking around somewhere.
Set it in the 80s, give it a different location and atmosphere, really spread the wings further than Andrew Ryan, and it's a universe I'd love to return to.

i cannot update, help!

here is the error i'm getting:

"Launching Title Update: "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Updates\5454085c\Content\setup.exe"
Could not find game install folder"

i have no idea how to fix this plz help.

Cruzader

Banned
Cruzader said:
GAF help! ANyone preorder the PS3 version from Amazon? It appears the Big Daddy Home outfit is being sent. If any kind soul could hook me up, I'd appreciate it. I would gladly give something if I can in return. I have LBP DLC, MAG SVER armor DLC or maybe some paypal.

Please if anyone wont use their, PM me. We can work something out. Thanx in advance.
Hope anyone can help me.

BeeDog

I'm finding the respawn rate of enemies to be a little bit too high. Cruising around Siren Alley now, exploring the second area atm, and the constant barrage of splicers is starting to get a little bit tedious.

Solo

Im up to Dionysus Park now, and the game definitely gets better. It was a 6.5-ish kind of game for me through Ryan Amusements, but after Siren's Alley and Dionysus Park, its a solid 8. I really hate the gathering missions though. HATE.

About to run out and buy the special edition and I have a choice between the PC and 360 ones. What's the story on them? PC one better as usual? Or is it a crappy console port? PC is $10 cheaper, and it has acheivements, so I am leaning towards that one? Any things I should know about it?

bishopcruz said:
About to run out and buy the special edition and I have a choice between the PC and 360 ones. What's the story on them? PC one better as usual? Or is it a crappy console port? PC is $10 cheaper, and it has acheivements, so I am leaning towards that one? Any things I should know about it?

Depends who you ask. I personally went through the entire thing without a single hitch. How familiar with GFW Live are ya ?

rareside

Solo said:
Im up to Dionysus Park now, and the game definitely gets better. It was a 6.5-ish kind of game for me through Ryan Amusements, but after Siren's Alley and Dionysus Park, its a solid 8. I really hate the gathering missions though. HATE.

Agreed, was really not feeling the first couple hours at ALL. Pushed through, and find myself quite enjoying the game now. I actually like setting traps right before my little sister gathers ADAM. Those are my favorite encounters (more so than the big sisters).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I kinda suck at multiplayer, but it's pretty fun. I've made it up to level 9 thus far. We'll see if I ever manage to win a match...

Depends who you ask. I personally went through the entire thing without a single hitch. How familiar with GFW Live are ya ?

I've used it with DoW2 and RE5 without issue. Looking back over the thread it seems like the new patch is buggy as hell though, makes me wary.

bishopcruz said:
I've used it with DoW2 and RE5 without issue. Looking back over the thread it seems like the new patch is buggy as hell though, makes me wary.

Yeah the new patch pretty much broke multiplayer, but single player seems fine. 2K say theres another patch on the way to sort it out but god knows how long that will take (thanks MS cert !). Id personally recommend the PC version, especially if you GFWL works good for you :)

Ogs said:
Yeah the new patch pretty much broke multiplayer, but single player seems fine. 2K say theres another patch on the way to sort it out but god knows how long that will take (thanks MS cert !). Id personally recommend the PC version, especially if you GFWL works good for you :)

Also, how driver dependant is it? I play on my HTPC, and i can't use newer nvidia drivers due to overscan BS, generally hasn't been a problem at all, i have a gtx260. I got boned with Empire: Total War because of it though.

bishopcruz said:
Also, how driver dependant is it? I play on my HTPC, and i can't use newer nvidia drivers due to overscan BS, generally hasn't been a problem at all, i have a gtx260. I got boned with Empire: Total War because of it though.

Ah, that i wouldnt know, i tend to keep my GPU drivers upto date so wouldnt know about issues with older ones :/ You say you play on your HTPC, i assume u know gamepad support isnt in yeah ?

kamspy

Ogs said:

I didn't have any issues with the PC version either.

I did use an FOV .ini fix and I never did find a way to enable anti aliasing, but the game isn't too jaggy at high res (no real jaggy inducing art/object like fences, poles or shutters in Bioshock so...).

PC version worked without a hitch for me. The FOV is the same as consoles, so it's not like the console version is superior in that regard. At least with the PC version you can fix the FOV to your liking very easily.

Ogs said:
Ah, that i wouldnt know, i tend to keep my GPU drivers upto date so wouldnt know about issues with older ones :/ You say you play on your HTPC, i assume u know gamepad support isnt in yeah ?

No issues with that, my wireless sidewinder X8 works awesome in that regard, I rarely have to use gamepads.

Numpt3

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with 'press and hold X to get the little sister to lead you to a corpse' on the 360 version? I can't get it to work :(

It's no big deal since it's pretty easy to stumble across a corpse or two whilst you explore, just wondering if it's a glitch or something. Sorry if it's been mentioned before.

KaYotiX

Banned
beat it lastnight (finished it on one sitting LOL) i liked it alot, not as good as the first but thats becasue the first one was something totally new.

Great game though and i also loved the last hour especially, everything really comes together well.

Top Bottom