• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

BeeDog

Rez said:
holy shit at the Siren Alley finale! very cool.

Dionysus Park seems like a pretty interesting area so far. I can understand the problem people were having with the textures, though. It seems like a noticeable visual downgrade from the rest of the game.

good cool game out of cool cool game so far

You weren't kidding! The finale was freaking awesome, very well made. Too bad I have a hard time progressing in both ME2 and this game, gaming fatigue is setting in big-time. :(

Just got platinum. Probably Never going to touch multiplayer again.

Also, I still find it odd how people were level 40 two days after the release of the game on PS3.

Quagm1r3

Papercuts said:
Yeah, you can get it. After you find it 4-5 times you warp all over the place and go into some weird area where you pick up the actual tonic(which isn't a teleport, IIRC it ends up being vending expert 2).

Yeah I went through that process, but I was hoping to get the thing I was chasing. Oh well.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I finished the SP this morning. Took me about 12 hours straight, due to much curiosity and exploration. Haters be damned, its not as short as some may lead to believe.

I really enjoyed the gameplay & weapons + upgrades (havent found them all but I'll leave that to my no-death-vita-Chamber-hard-difficulty run, for the trophy :D. They were so fun with badass design in mind.

Locations were cool, but weren't as colourfull and unique all the way through like Bioshock 1. Still some fondly memorable setpieces which were quite awesome.

Story-wise its weaker compared to the predecessor. And bare in mind I wasnt a big fan of the original either. In contrast to the original it felt a bit dragged out by the end. And there do seem to be some boggling plotholes in it. The representation of
Sofia Lamb
, her character and relevance to the Bioshock universe felt out place. Most of the characters didnt add up to the scenery, some even bothered me.

To me Bioshock was about an eerie mystery feel and leaving some things to the imagination and observation of the player. Most of this was taken away. Feels like they could've executed it better. Hopefully Ken Levine be at the steer of the next game. Something about this game lacked his touch.

Im playing the MP now for the trophies, its alright but nothing amazing.

Red

highluxury said:
I finished the SP this morning. Took me about 12 hours straight, due to much curiosity and exploration. Haters be damned, its not as short as some may lead to believe.

I really enjoyed the gameplay & weapons + upgrades (havent found them all but I'll leave that to my no-death-vita-Chamber-hard-difficulty run, for the trophy :D. They were so fun with badass design in mind.

Locations were cool, but weren't as colourfull and unique all the way through like Bioshock 1. Still some fondly memorable setpieces which were quite awesome.

Story-wise its weaker compared to the predecessor. And bare in mind I wasnt a big fan of the original either. In contrast to the original it felt a bit dragged out by the end. And there do seem to be some boggling plotholes in it. The representation of
Sofia Lamb
, her character and relevance to the Bioshock universe felt out place. Most of the characters didnt add up to the scenery, some even bothered me.

To me Bioshock was about an eerie mystery feel and leaving some things to the imagination and observation of the player. Most of this was taken away. Feels like they could've executed it better. Hopefully Ken Levine be at the steer of the next game. Something about this game lacked his touch.

Im playing the MP now for the trophies, its alright but nothing amazing.
Agreed 100% with the bolded. BS1 was subtle in its philosophical references, suggesting views from within the characters' personalities. BS2 has none of that subtlety, it's constantly, explicitly reminding you what philosophical bent each character holds. It beats you over the head with "meaning" and comes away worse for it.

I just started playing the MP yesterday and it is surprisingly fun, as I did not expect it to be good at all. The modes involving the Little Sisters I find to be the most fun, and I enjoy the customization using the tonics and plasmids. In addition, being able to be a Big Daddy is rather fun too. However, what is up with the freezing issue (360)? I had it happen in the lobby and in-game yesterday, highly annoying.

Rich!

Just finished it, got the bad ending.

A really good game, but I was dissapointed there weren't any truely majestic moments like the first descent into Rapture from the original game and seeing it all for the first time as Andrew Ryan spoke over you.

Maybe stepping into the ocean for the first time in Bioshock 2 met it in some ways, but you'd seen it all before.

As bad as it probably sounds, I do feel that the next system shock/bioshock/whatevershock should be set somewhere else. Rapture, for me at least, has run it's course.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat it with 8 research subjects maxed. Why not 9? Because they never have thuggish splicers after the initial area you get the camera in, and since I was still adjusting to how to properly do it, I was just a small chunk away from maxing it. I just needed one more in the game somewhere, but it never happens...great design there.

EliCash

Papercuts said:
Beat it with 8 research subjects maxed. Why not 9? Because they never have thuggish splicers after the initial area you get the camera in, and since I was still adjusting to how to properly do it, I was just a small chunk away from maxing it. I just needed one more in the game somewhere, but it never happens...great design there.

That happened to me aswell.

edgefusion

So I've been playing the crap out of the multiplayer lately. I keep meaning to restart the whole single player but every time I boot the game I just get sucked into the online mode. In the last few matches I unlocked the
houdini
plasmid which is an absolute ton of fun, really brings a new dimension to the game. I wish some of these online-only things were available in the single player, along with a new-game+.

Papercuts said:

You didn’t come across a ton near the end after you are rescued by Elanor?

Truant said:
Can someone post pictures of Gil?

I couldn't make out what he looked like through the tube.

He looks great in the art book, but I thought they really copped-out on him in the game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I keep having this problem where I lose network connection as soon as I return to the lobby after a match. There's never problems during a match, just 95% of the time I get dropped upon reaching the lobby again. Sometimes the damn system doesn't even save my stats updates too, which sucks balls. [I'm on PS3.]

XxBigP123xX said:

Also, I still find it odd how people were level 40 two days after the release of the game on PS3.
I recall playing a couple matches with you either today or yesterday. Good stuff.

Papercuts

Slightly abridged version of my thoughts on the game:

+The levels for the most part kept getting better.
Ryan Amusements, Pauper's Drop...eh. Siren's Alley was probably my favorite, Diyonysus Park was great too. Fontaine Futuristics and Persephone weren't as good as those two, but I liked them more than the initial ones, so atleast it doesn't take a nosedive like bioshock 1 did
+The sound was really well done for the entire game
+Gameplay improvements felt natural for the most part. The plasmid hand/weapon hand felt natural, and the new hacking was a nice way to make hacking hectic, simple, and fun.
+Rebalanced plasmids were good...maybe too good. The first bioshock gave you the god wrench and the 1-2 punch that was amazing the entire game. It still works to an extent here, but they made most of the plasmids atleast have a reason for existing. I didn't use that many in the first game, but here I was always using different ones, even though most of them are overpowered in their own way. I used insect swarm a lot, which stayed for an extremely long time and had a big stun time on enemies, though this meant I was never even close to low on eve because of how much you got out of a single use. Decoy was another really good one.
+Some minor side stuff I liked seeing(
The combination near the end of the game you get by listening to the audio diary and looking at the paintings, the teleporting tonic, and the Meltzer thing. Would have loved to see more stuff like this
+Early fights with the Big Sister were really hectic

+/- Weird difficulty balance. Game is hard at first, simple later--I complained multiple times in this thread how un-daddy like you felt for the health, and while the complaint still stands for me, I did like feeling extremely powerful at the end. What I didn't like was nearly all the optional searching around near the end had you hacking safes, doors, etc. to get nothing but shitloads of ammo and health you never needed anymore, I was unable to pick up the majority of the stuff at the end game.
+/- Multiplayer. It isn't bad but it holds no longterm playing for me. The lag can get bad, the host quit dropping the game is annoying, and it's a game that will only frustrate you if you take it competitively, because the unlock system has you constantly getting way better stuff with little regard for balance.
+/- Researching again. They changed it up for 2 a lot, but I'm not convinced it's THAT much better. Doing different attacks to get more points makes sense, but choosing the camera, taking a picture, then changing weapons back got really clunky feeling at times.

- The game is REALLY rough around the edges. The visuals look no different from Bioshock 1, the game freezes a lot, the autosave sucks so if you freeze near the end of a level without saving in between...you're going to have to redo the whole level. It missed attention to detail in a few areas that really stuck out to me, it compounds to make rapture feel so much more like a videogame level instead of an underwater utopia you're experiencing like the first game felt. These seem minor but really bugged the hell out of me when it missed detail
like leaving siren's alley, walking through the flooded room. At the entrance, there's blood all over the floor, and it looks ridiculous having the blood on the floor reflecting the light when you're UNDERWATER. I also mentioned above how Fontaine Futuristics had a few windows which showed completetly missing outside floors, just weeds and bubbles coming out of an awkward looking blue abyss, or being able to see where the ground ended abruptly
-Way too predictable. You basically can prepare for ambushes because of how blatantly obvious they start to become--every time you pick up a tonic splicers come, you could basically tell when you were going to get trapped in a room, etc. They also reuse some bioshock 1 spooks like the dead body on the floor not being dead way too often.
-Not enough enemy variety. I had this issue with the first game and it still hasn't changed, 9 enemies total, 2 being specific bigger encounters and 1 never fucking showing up(thuggish splicers) basically means there's 6 for most of the game.
-I want to slap whoever made you unable to backtrack. I missed a single weapon upgrade and needed one picture of a thugglish splicer for the whole game, but you can't do anything about it. I know in bioshock 1 you could miss one of the weapon upgrades in Cohen's room, but you could get everything else whenever you wanted. I know the game tells you the trains are a one way trip, but I never would have known stuff like thuggish splicers never showing up again, and the only way to get all 9 tracks maxed is to replay the entire game and take a shitload of pictures of everything again, which I don't want to do.
-Story/characters not nearly as good.
Story probably doesn't need much said since everyone is mentioning it, but characterwise I was surprisingly uncaring about Sinclair for the whole game. The guy showed no emotion about anything, which especially stuck out in Siren's Alley where he says he's getting low on oxygen in the calmest voice ever. I did not care about killing him like I was supposed to. It also was a missed opportunity there, I had hypnotize 3 and it WORKS on him, why can't I get the key from him like that?

All I can really think of at the moment.

JordoftheDead said:
You didn’t come across a ton near the end after you are rescued by Elanor?

Nope. :\

I was looking for them the entire time, even taking my camera out to try and take pictures of people I wasn't sure about. Never found a single one.

Truant said:
Can someone post pictures of Gil?

I couldn't make out what he looked like through the tube.

That felt like such a missed oppurtunity to me...

When I was looking around that area in the dark, I couldn't help but notice the huge tube. I knew he was going to be in there and was excited to see what he was going to look like, but you can barely see him.

Dan

Papercuts said:
+/- Researching again. They changed it up for 2 a lot, but I'm not convinced it's THAT much better. Doing different attacks to get more points makes sense, but choosing the camera, taking a picture, then changing weapons back got really clunky feeling at times.
It'd probably be better if they just had it so the camera is always on and basically all combat contributes to research. Then have a bigger emphasis on using a variety of attacks and whatnot to increase your rate of research.

Dan said:
I keep having this problem where I lose network connection as soon as I return to the lobby after a match. There's never problems during a match, just 95% of the time I get dropped upon reaching the lobby again. Sometimes the damn system doesn't even save my stats updates too, which sucks balls. [I'm on PS3.]

I recall playing a couple matches with you either today or yesterday. Good stuff.
Wouldn't be surprised, I would run into the same people like 20 times a day! :lol

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the game and I am enjoying it so far. Rapture's ambiance is pretty good, and the upgraded weapons and plasmids feel fun.

I'm also liking multiplayer much much more than I thought I would. Becoming a big daddy is awesome!

The textures in this game are terrible. Having replayed the first Bioshock over the summer I remember being really impressed with how that game still held up. It just seems as if B2 looks shittier overall. Really weird when you've become accustomed to sequels almost always looking better than their predecessor. It just so muddy and rough looking. PS3 version, btw, and the version of Bioshock 1 I was comparing it to was also on the PS3.

Ridley327

It's definitely not just the PS3 version, as the PC version looks shamefully bad at times. It's easy to blame the engine itself since UE2 is ancient, but that doesn't explain how wildly inconsistent the texturing ends up over the course of the game. Visually, it's the most rushed game I've seen since InFamous.

Dan

Corky said:
sometimes it really feels like a glitch for me its been like this

go to the mens restroom, kill enemy
go to the ladies restroom, fight enemy, kill enemy, got hurt...but oh wait there was some health back in the mens restrom

go to the mens restroom, two splicers standing there chilling waiting for me.

I wouldnt care at all if a splicer wouldnt take two or three healthbars of yur health if you miss a couple of shots.

edit : but obviously its intentional and given the response from some people here it seems it really only bothers me :/
It annoys me at times, especially during the gathers when splicers respawn in closed off rooms. I'd just prefer they respawn in way that makes some sort of sense, like traveling to your area from another, not materializing out of nowhere into a room with one entrance that you're blocking.

Crunched said:
Agreed 100% with the bolded. BS1 was subtle in its philosophical references, suggesting views from within the characters' personalities. BS2 has none of that subtlety, it's constantly, explicitly reminding you what philosophical bent each character holds. It beats you over the head with "meaning" and comes away worse for it.
No it doesn't.

Holy hell, Siren's Alley is so good. I'm already itching to call it better than Fort Frolic. The difficulty, the Wale Brothers, the level design
finding the secret plasmid lab was awesome and finding the audio diary of Frank Fontaine was pretty cool
, and the gameplay are all coming together much better than they did in Fort Frolic. Haven't finished it yet, and I'm nearly eleven hours into the game.

Edit - And another cool thing, the level has
a painting of Jack's plane's crash right outside the lighthouse near the entrance of the level

JoeBoy101

Just finished the SP games and some initial thoughts:

Plot - I was put off from the sequel, because I honestly could not see how they could shoehorn it in properly with the first game. And the truth is, they couldn't and didn't. That said, the plot was a lot stronger than I expected. Whereas the first game was about Rapture, this one felt much more focused on the bonds between Big Daddy and Little sister. Its not as tight (
Sinclair on the whole felt wasted, as was Metzler
) and it felt very welded onto the primary story from the original, but overall I'd actually rate it above average in the annals of computer games. Also, the last third to quarter is much better paced thematically than the first one. They did do a decent job in adding some morality to the game, but I would prefer it not be so, well, obvious when that happens.

Gameplay - Plasmids were MUCH more useful than the first one. I found myself using a much more diverse set of powers, and thought the fully upgraded plasmids well thought out (loved the full Hypnosis with Brutes). About the same with weapons as I found myself switching between them, with the only one underbalanced one being the Rivetgun. Way too little damage on it, even upgraded. Also, wanted more out of the drill. Maybe because the wrench was so awesome in the first one, and the drill dash is sweet in this one, but it felt too underpowered. The mechanics with the Little Sisters worked well and made items like the trap spears and proximity mines much more useful than in the first game.

Level Design - Passable. Look, their solid levels for gaming, but the first one really excelled in capturing a different feel with each of the sections and this one didn't do that. Some of them felt distinct, but as part of a city, they tend to blur together with the color, layout, and feel.

I'll digest some more and read here to see what I think after a day or two. Overall, I think the game is earning the ratings its getting. Solid 'B' to 'B+' but a little short for an 'A'.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ehh, I wouldn't go so far as to call it better than Fort Frolic. I thought Father Whales and his brother weren't fleshed out enough as characters.

Still, that level has probably been the highlight of the game for me so far. It was where everything really clicked cleanly into place. Heaps of weapons and plasmids, a great environment to explore, interesting goals, a cool climax and a new big daddy type. All of those things just worked so well within the confines of the sandbox, it was great.

Just finished Dionysus Park. I'm still really, really enjoying the game, but I found that the level itself was, on the whole felt kind of rushed. Visually, it was very unimpressive, there was very little variety in the locations you explored, and the main mission objective throughout the whole level was essentially something that I would have usually done in any other level anyway. Lazy isn't the right word, I'd imagine that 'compromised' probably suits it better.

It's a testament to the quality of the game that even in a level like that, I still had a whole lot of fun.

fulsome

Can someone tell me how far I am?
I just finished the Dionsys (sp) Park

Is it just me, or does this seem like the exact same game as the first? Even the levels seem very similar.... the hotel place comes to mind. It seems almost TOO similar. I guess it has to, in order to continue the story... I feel like I am missing something that hooks me into the game.

Crunched said:

What? "No Gods or Kings. Only Man." is subtle? The name Andrew Ryan is far from subtle. It was incredibly obvious he was all about Objectivism.

Red

VistraNorrez said:
What? "No Gods or Kings. Only Man." is subtle? The name Andrew Ryan is far from subtle. It was incredibly obvious he was all about Objectivism.
I was talking more about the course of the plot and the audio logs. BS2 beats you over the head with what would have been self explanatory in the first game.

Didn't help that the writing overall wasn't quite as sharp. Something felt inferior about just about everything, though I can't place exactly what it was. Maybe in a few days, after another playthrough, I'll be able to explain things a bit better.

mattso

Just beat this with the best ending. I really enjoyed it. Overall this game felt like a much tighter experience than the first did.

I'll agree it was a little rough the first few levels but I'm glad you aren't a super killing machine the whole time. At the end I had my freeze 3 plasmid/ice drill combo and I was nigh unstoppable. Most things were dead in one hit after being frozen.

I liked the story. I didn't expect it to have the same wow factor the first did but all in all I think this one delivered a good experience. My next playthrough I have to make sure to get every recording. I was pretty thorough but next time I'll make sure to really hit every nook and cranny. I also have to make sure to complete every research track.

I would say that would be my one complaint about this game... switching to and from the camera still feels rather clunky.

Playing this on my pc on the max settings I don't get the complaints people are having about how it looks. Looked great for me.

I really loved the section as a little sister seeing the visuals transition from her idealized view into what rapture has become as you explored/gathered adam & big sister outfit pieces.

Fighting along Eleanor was also pretty awesome.

The combat is fucking great. Its a FPS where i feel like im getting stronger. hell, its better than mass effect 2 in that respect. Atmosphere stilll holding me.

Im actually looking forward to doing an all melee run with my drill with the passive skill that reduces plasmid costs by alot.

Wow. Been playing this all day and I just got done. The game really pulled me in since Siren Alley.

It was awesome having
Eleanor kicking ass with you
during the final level. And the final fight and ending cinematic was a hell of a lot better for this game than the first.
I got the very goody ending where everyone lived
. I believe I saw that there are about 6 different endings as well, should look and see how those play out.

It sucked that I never had Thuggish splicers show up after the getting the camera. It was the only one I needed by the end of the game. I only needed this achievement, the Hard play through, and the ranking multiplayer achievements left.

All in all, I definitely got my money out of this game. Oh and during the credits
I loved the concept images of the enemies. One of my faves was the delivery boy being transformed
. Oh and of course the
"Help, I'm trapped in Rapture!" comment during the credits

Volcynika

Anyone else basically (end game spoiler, don't read unless you beat the game)
have an "OH SHIT" moment when you were running to the lifeboat, turn the corner, and see those explosives all set up there. I was :O

BeeDog said:
You weren't kidding! The finale was freaking awesome, very well made. Too bad I have a hard time progressing in both ME2 and this game, gaming fatigue is setting in big-time. :(
Yeah, the Siren Alley finale was cool. And a great level all around.

scoobs said:
How did they manage to make the graphics worse than the original?? Weird lol.
They look pretty much the same to me. But if they dropped, it is probably because they have more enemies on screen . . . those splicer hordes can have lots of splicers simultaneously.

Red

Volcynika said:
Anyone else basically (end game spoiler, don't read unless you beat the game)
have an "OH SHIT" moment when you were running to the lifeboat, turn the corner, and see those explosives all set up there. I was :O
Nope, absolutely everything about the last section of the game was extremely predictable except for
seeing through a Little Sister's eyes
. I wish there were more surprises. From E3 I had an idea of how the story would pan out, and I kept hoping it would throw some surprises at me, but no; it all happened exactly how I imagined it.

Papercuts said:
Way too predictable. You basically can prepare for ambushes because of how blatantly obvious they start to become--every time you pick up a tonic splicers come, you could basically tell when you were going to get trapped in a room, etc. They also reuse some bioshock 1 spooks like the dead body on the floor not being dead way too often.

Very true, I thought the exact same thing. By the end of the game I knew exactly what would cause an ambush or respawn. I was really disappointed and I thought it was one area that was much worse than the first game. Every 'suprise' or ambush you could see coming from a mile away.

What difficulty were you playing on? I find it odd that you couldn't finish your research. That sucks...

Red

JordoftheDead said:
Very true, I thought the exact same thing. By the end of the game I knew exactly what would cause an ambush or respawn. I was really disappointed and I thought it was one area that was much worse than the first game. Every 'suprise' or ambush you could see coming from a mile away.

What difficulty were you playing on? I find it odd that you couldn't finish your research. That sucks...
I played on hard and only ran into one thuggish splicer after Pauper's Drop. He showed up randomly at the end of a Little Sister harvesting sequence. I was stuck at like 85% thuggish splicer research for the rest of the game.

Dan

Oh yeah, I was annoyed that research on a subject would quit if you hit one of the milestones. Conceivably that could help screw you on completing research on some of the rarer enemies.

Papercuts

JordoftheDead said:

I was on normal, and yeah. I was double checking every enemy and was literally a single picture away from maxing out the thuggish splicer, not a single one to be found. :lol

I also forgot to say this in my post above, but I'm also letdown by all of the underwater segments. They are all literally short segments of walking straight, I was anticipating some more open parts walking around the rapture outskirts at some point, never happened.

Quagm1r3 said:
Yeah I went through that process, but I was hoping to get the thing I was chasing. Oh well.

Yeah I think that whole situation was pretty odd. It seems like the payoff could have been a way better
tonic or plasmid. They had this whole amazing scene set up, when you see it you think it's going to be something game changing and what do you get? A freaking discount on items. Thanks for the letdown!

edgefusion

Grady Durden said:
Yeah I think that whole situation was pretty odd. It seems like the payoff could have been a way better
tonic or plasmid. They had this whole amazing scene set up, when you see it you think it's going to be something game changing and what do you get? A freaking discount on items. Thanks for the letdown!

I think that's a metaphor for the entire game. The developers are post-modern and ironic.

savor100

XxBigP123xX said:

Some people got to that level (and also got the platinum) even before the game was released. Don't ask me how they did it though.

edgefusion

savor100 said:
Some people got to that level (and also got the platinum) even before the game was released. Don't ask me how they did it though.

I saw one guy who was rank 30 something two days before the games official release, I thought he must be a 2K employee until I checked out his PS3 level... 28. He'd played every game under the sun and had some crazy huge number of platinums. I think these guys just dedicate their whole lives and every fiber of their being to playing games, like a lot.

A quick question about multiplayer.

How does the Houdini Plasmid work? I understand that if I hold it down I stay invisible for longer. However, does anything happen if I just press the button and then release it right after? Do I get a quick burst of invisibility, or does it need to be held down for several seconds before it starts working?

edgefusion

Obsessed said:
A quick question about multiplayer.

How does the Houdini Plasmid work? I understand that if I hold it down I stay invisible for longer. However, does anything happen if I just press the button and then release it right after? Do I get a quick burst of invisibility, or does it need to be held down for several seconds before it starts working?

You have to hold it down, it has a bit of a charge up (less than a second) so it's not insta-on. If you just press it nothing happens except it looks like you've just done a big red fart.

The thuggish splicer comment is odd to me; I must have run into hundreds of them over the course of the game (medium difficulty - 360). Of course, I never got past 75% on the Big Sisters despite having Keen Observer 1 or 2 at all times, so there you go.

TBH, I think its a better crafted game design than Bioshock 1. There was clearly more thought into the level progression and layout - the plasmids, particularly. What lets it down and keeps Bio1 on the throne is that while Bio2 is a refined experience...well, most of the surprise and wonder is lost because we saw it in the first game.

Still a hell of an experience though.

Top Bottom