• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

TheFreshPrince

Does anyone else feel that there is a horrible difficulty decline right around Fontaine Futuristics?? I have the Security Command Level 3 Plasmid, Inferno Level 3, and Insect Swarm Level 3...and it's basically making every single fight a cake walk.

I don't know, just feels like at this point I am such a badass, with all the weapons/ammo types, that everything became dramatically easier (playing on Hard).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rez said:
I don't think it's missing floor, they're just elevated above the sea floor? unless you're talking about something else, or it's clearly missing.

personally, I haven't had an issue with the underwater sections. probably because I'm not examining anything super closely. as a package, everything looks pretty nice. I feel like I'm crazy, though, because nearly everyone is disagreeing. :lol

Nah, the one I mean was in Fontaine Futuristics.

If you can remember where one of the signal relays you need to destroy, the one I mean was in Frank Fontaine's office. It had a desk, a bear statue, a statue head you could move for a audio diary, etc. There was a big window in the office that would probably give an awesome view, you can see 4-5 big weeds that take up the length of the window, but when you look out it's nothing but blue. You can see the weeds get cut off by blue right below the window where ground should be, it was extremely weird. There was another window in FF where you could see the boundary of the entire outside in the shape of a square, but I can't remember the spot.

As for the underwater thing, it's not really bad looking unless you look closely. Those moments were clearly meant to have you just keep walking forward until you got out, but I was really anticipating awesome stuff with them and was trying to see if you could explore at all down there, all it really did was expose some vile looking textures. :p

You know what I find really odd? I've been playing Capture the Little Sister a lot recently, and I've constantly been using the Houdini Plasmid to cloak myself once I had the sister in my possession. There was a time when a group of three enemies passed me because I had turned invisible moments before. This is odd because the plasmid only cloaks the user, meaning that the sister is still visible. I have no idea why it has been such an effective strategy. I guess people just look for whoever is highlighted, rather than for the sister. Although how hard could it be to miss a floating, flailing little girl?

fernoca

Really enjoying th single player more; after decided a few things:
1. Don't mind getting killed. Just appear in a Vitachamber, and try again.
2. Spend money. Buy ammo, first aid, etc when needed...not save money.
3. Be offensive. Big Sisters, splicers..whatever use plasmids, empty guns, whatever it's needed to defeat them.

I've been defeating Big Sisters with no problem (fire, drill, fire, drill) [upgraded to max the drill too..]..Big Daddies still are a pain, but now I just die... get out of the Vitachamber..die again..rinse and repeat till beating them. have to try what Amirox said about researching a Big Sister.

Online, still ..a little weird since I've only played 2..out of 10 times I've gone online with the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow!

major end-ish spoilers DO NOT HIGHLIGHT
just killed Sinclair
, so good!

wish I had more interesting things to say, but I don't. this game just keeps getting better.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
Geez I don't know what some people are talking about in this thread the last time I visited (some people said they were so bored that they weren't going to finish, etc). This game is amazing!! I just beat it today. One part near the end just blew my mind. I loved the story in this game more than the first one because my favorite aspect of BioShock is the relationship between Big Daddies and Little Sisters. This game was just perfect in regards to that.

It's one of those games that just makes me feel so great after playing it :)

Just had an interesting game of Survival of the Fittest. Mainly because I was playing with the number 1 guy on the leaderboards. He won with like a 20-5 score. It's nice to see people on top of leaderboards that aren't hackers/exploiters like in Modern Warfare 2. Guess it helps too when you play a ton like he already has.

I just hit 20 and am taking a break from MP to go back for my hard run through single player.

So how many people in here are actually playing around with MP? I was pretty skeptical at first but its actually pretty fun and addicting when you get passed the occasional freezing/losing connection to host.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
Sorry if this was already asked but...

What happened to Tenenbaum?? I thought she would have had a much bigger role in the game after meeting her again in the beginning.

TTG

Ahhh, finally finished. Great game over all. I would not put it in the top tier(with the original) but those expectations don't really get in the way of enjoying Bioshock 2.

The absolute highlight for me is seeing the sequel carry the torch as far as a very unique brand of FPS and even expand on it in parts. The way the levels are designed, variety of plasmids and tonics and now with the adam gathering sequences... it's a very particular pace and play style.

Siren's Alley and Fontain Futuristics were the 2 best levels. The last level was fun but very hard to navigate if you didn't have a quest arrow on like me. It's also a sort of clash in story vs gameplay(
I was exploring empty rooms and hacking safes while the world was supposedly crumbling around me
)

The story was interesting in parts(huge spoiler:
seeing the world through a little sister's eyes was awesome
) and average in others. Not average by videogame standards I suppose, but not very memorable for me. Ryan's and Fontaine's radio messages were the most interesting, that's telling.

EDIT: also, the soundtrack and some of the sound effects, absolutely top notch. Too bad that it was also the buggiest part of the game for me.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I just finished the game and although I loved the first, I really am glad I just rented this. I mean, I enjoyed the game but I have zero desire to play it again or do any multi-player. It really just didn't draw me in like the original. It was still great fun, but it stilll kinda felt like a downgrade.

big_z

Dark FaZe said:
Decoy makes everything in the game irrelevant. I don't think I got the proper gameplay experience because of how strong that power was.

never tried decoy. i used trap since you can spam it and stop any enemy from attacking you save for big daddy/sisters. hypnotize also works really well. hypnotize a big daddy before a big sister attack and he will kill the sister every time with ease.

So how many people in here are actually playing around with MP? I was pretty skeptical at first but its actually pretty fun and addicting when you get passed the occasional freezing/losing connection to host.

im playing it. pc version suffers from alot of other bugs. lag isnt a problem for me although if another player is lagging their character model moves around at 4 frames a second making them nearly impossible to hit.

Dax01 said:
I was too busy having fun to notice the same enemies being spawned over and over again in the same room, if any at all. I just got through with the level, and I have absolutely no idea of this atrocious spawning system you're talking about. Hardly "transparent and irritating."

on 360 movement might be too slow to see the spawning but on pc it's very apparent. siren alley is really bad. clear out a room then walk about 10 steps out of it and turn around a couple splicers will walk out. this is one of my complaints with the game. in the first bioshock it felt like you killed enemies that were living in an environment wandering around and then a few scavangers would show up at random. in bioshock 2 it's monster closet city.

TTG

quadrax1s said:
Sorry if this was already asked but...

What happened to Tenenbaum?? I thought she would have had a much bigger role in the game after meeting her again in the beginning.

She's like the sgt. Johnson of the Bioshock world. You never know how she survives or wtf happens, but she'll be in every game.

Scarecrow

Just beat it. The ending was very touching. Looking at the achievements, I'm missing two secret ones, worth 25 and 5 points. Anyone have an idea what they could be?

Alright, scratch that. The two I'm missing are
sparing everyone (didn't spare Gil), and pay respects to founder of rapture (which I don't know how to do)

TTG

big_z said:
on 360 movement might be too slow to see the spawning but on pc it's very apparent. siren alley is really bad. clear out a room then walk about 10 steps out of it and turn around a couple splicers will walk out. this is one of my complaints with the game. in the first bioshock it felt like you killed enemies that were living in an environment wandering around and then a few scavangers would show up at random. in bioshock 2 it's monster closet city.

I only got that in Fontaine's Futuristics really. There were a couple of rooms interconnected that were particularly bad.
I had to take out an extra big daddy that was just walking around because he would not leave the area right around where I needed to get the Adam. The Alpha big daddies would spawn every time you went in and out of the room, which happened a bit thanks to the wandering Big Daddy. Defending the little sister there had the feeling of being in a very exposed area as the splicers and alpha big daddies flooded the screen and ofcourse it's a completely closed off room...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Scarecrow said:
Just beat it. The ending was very touching. Looking at the achievements, I'm missing two secret ones, worth 25 and 5 points. Anyone have an idea what they could be?

Alright, scratch that. The two I'm missing are
sparing everyone (didn't spare Gil), and pay respects to founder of rapture (which I don't know how to do)

For the respects one, you need to play through to Ryan Amusements again. There's a robotic Ryan there(I don't think you can miss him, sits behind a desk), there's a golf club in the back you can pick up with telekinesis and throw at his head.

Pelydr said:
I just finished the game and although I loved the first, I really am glad I just rented this. I mean, I enjoyed the game but I have zero desire to play it again or do any multi-player. It really just didn't draw me in like the original. It was still great fun, but it stilll kinda felt like a downgrade.

I do not know if you tried the multiplayer yet but it is really fun, they way you use the plasmids is pretty much the same like the single player and overall it has been fun except for the freezing issues. I got my guy to level 40 and clocked in about 20 hours in the multiplayer so far, kinda nice as it is different from other traditional shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

MacBosse

Just finished Siren's Alley and wow that was awesome. That level alone got me feeling the old Bioshock vibe again with so intresting settings and characters. I love the slower pace that Bioshock brings to the FPS genre.

Btw guys, how far along am I? I just completed Siren's Alley.

TTG

MacBosse said:
Just finished Siren's Alley and wow that was awesome. That level alone got me feeling the old Bioshock vibe again with so intresting settings and characters. I love the slower pace that Bioshock brings to the FPS genre.

Btw guys, how far along am I? I just completed Siren's Alley.

50-60% through, I would guess.

Firestorm

What the hell... My game just froze and crashed... Also, has anyone seen Brute Splicers after
Fontaine Futuristics
? I filled up every research track except that which I need just a little bit more in but I haven't seen one all level. Is the last plasmid and plasmid track after this too?

Oh and the
last Big Daddy had such an amazing audio journal.
It was chilling.

This game is really amazing. The story of Rapture did have something left to tell after all.

Firestorm said:
What the hell... My game just froze and crashed... Also, has anyone seen Brute Splicers after
Fontaine Futuristics
? I filled up every research track except that which I need just a little bit more in but I haven't seen one all level. Is the last plasmid and plasmid track after this too?

Oh and the
It was chilling.

This game is really amazing. The story of Rapture did have something left to tell after all.

There are some more Brute Splicers before the end, it was the last one I maxed out. The last plasmid is coming up as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just finished the game.

maybe it's because there was so much negativity surround this game prior to launch, but I was really, really surprised by just how good this was. I was always one of the few cautiously optimistic folk, but all the same, bravo 2K Marin for making the sequel that no one thought they wanted with such artistic/creative integrity. Really great stuff, all round.

It certainly would have been high on my GOTY list last year, put it that way. It's one of those games that I finished roughly half-an-hour ago, and I'm still smiling (as sickening as that is).

TTG

Firestorm said:
Oh and the
It was chilling.

The binary choice of saving/harvesting little sisters really didn't do much for me in the first or second game, except for that time. You follow that guy's story from the moment he arrives all the way through... I was glad to rescue that particular little sister and it made the ending more meaningful as well.

SlayrUK

TTG said:
The binary choice of saving/harvesting little sisters really didn't do much for me in the first or second game, except for that time. You follow that guy's story from the moment he arrives all the way through... I was glad to rescue that particular little sister and it made the ending more meaningful as well.

I assume we're referring to Mark Meltzer? I loved that sub-plot throughout the game. The way it's told using only audio diaries and then that final one you find one the big daddy, which turns out to be him, is chilling.

Not sure who else looked at the Bioshock 2 viral website (somethinginthesea.com) last year? But for those who did and who followed Meltzer's story (right from when he started noticing girls being abducted from countries around the world by the big sisters) I personally thought this was a very satisfying conclusion to the story and great addition to the game.

Truant

SlayrUK said:
I assume we're referring to Mark Meltzer? I loved that sub-plot throughout the game. The way it's told using only audio diaries and then that final one you find one the big daddy, which turns out to be him, is chilling.

Not sure who else looked at the Bioshock 2 viral website (somethinginthesea.com) last year? But for those who did and who followed Meltzer's story (right from when he started noticing girls being abducted from countries around the world by the big sisters) I personally thought this was a very satisfying conclusion to the story and great addition to the game.

Lots of people got pissed off by that, but I feel that's the only worthy end for that little story.

Firestorm

TTG said:
I actually froze for a second and had to think about what I had just done :lol

Edit: Hmm, not gonna highlight the people quoting you 'til I finish the game! Just one or two areas left I think.

TheFreshPrince said:
Does anyone else feel that there is a horrible difficulty decline right around Fontaine Futuristics?? I have the Security Command Level 3 Plasmid, Inferno Level 3, and Insect Swarm Level 3...and it's basically making every single fight a cake walk.

I don't know, just feels like at this point I am such a badass, with all the weapons/ammo types, that everything became dramatically easier (playing on Hard).
It is a pretty easy game over all. By the end you're tripping over health packs and EVE.

Also, is matchmaking slow as shit for anyone else? (360)

AKS

Bioshock 1 and 2 seem to be of similar quality to me. I thought the first was massively overrated, but the sequel seems to be underrated. Both seem to fall in the 8 to 9 out of 10 range for me. I haven't quite finished the sequel yet, so I have yet to see if the final 1/3 provides a better experience than the final 1/3 of Bioshock 1, which I found to be rather disappointing.

I wish this game would stop crashing constantly. That's really been a major problem since that patch. I'm not completely sure if that's the cause. Maybe everything past the early areas are very buggy? DK.

Solo

Dax01 said:
Okay. I just finished Fontaine Futuristics, and
THAT level is a better level than Fort Frolic. A couple of reasons why:
- The gameplay, though this is throughout all levels, but it definitely adds to the experience.
- Alexander the Great is portrayed much better portrayed than Sander Cohen was (I also think Gil is a better character than Cohen) due his recordings you encounter through the level before he went insane. There is a clear before and after, and gives much better depth to the character.
- The whole Mark Meltzer incident. Poor guy.
- There are several awesome encounters in the game, like in the "show and tell" plasmid hall where Alexander asks for "volunteers," and the first time you encounter an Alpha Daddie.
- The teleportation plasmid. Who else followed it all the way until the end?
- In the end, I decided to end Alexander's life, as he asked for in his recordings. From what I saw, though, the whole killing process looked really damn painful.

So, um, yeah... Fontaine Futuristics is amazing.

Your neverending quest to putting BS2 over BS1 is admirable :lol , but no. Fontiane Futuristics isnt even as good as Siren's Alley or Persephone.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
saying X is better than Y which is no where near as good as Z seems pointless to me, but I thought that there were certainly levels in Bioshock 2 that stood toe to toe with the best in Bioshock 1.

I think in tiers more than in best to worst rankings.

Solo

Dont get me wrong, Rez - Siren's Alley and Persephone are better than everything in BS1 outside of Fort Frolic and maybe Arcadia. Its just that FF is in a class of its own, and nothing else in BS1 or BS2 is remotely close.

But yes, I do agree that "level X in game A is better than level Y in game B" is pointless. Im just having some fun with Dax, since each of his posts seems to be trying to do a direct correlation between level X in BS1 and level X in BS2, and also each level and FF.

TTG

SlayrUK said:

More big story spoilers:

I didn't follow the website, but didn't feel like that subject was never really explained? I didn't actively look for every audio tape but I got the 100 tape achievement right at the beginning of the last level and listened to all of them; don't remember much on girls being kidnapped from the surface. Obviously, Bid Daddy development is explained in great detail and how Sinclair was involved in getting test subjects for that. The little sister orphanage and Elenore's storyline is very clearly laid out. But as far as the original premise(girls being stolen from the surface) from some of the marketing stuff we got early, not a lot of it made it into the final game. The one audio log I remember picking up late in the game did talk about how Big Sisters are only a stop gap to the problem of little sister ranks thinning out. That one did suggest that eventually girls would have to be brought from the surface, but no more than that.

Also, I don't remember if Tenebaum comes back because girls are being kidnapped or because she knows there are still girls to be saved in Rapture already. Her appearance in the game was so short that it's almost irrelevant.

Anyway, the Mark Meltzer story was great and I think the girl who got stuck babysitting the children on new year's day deserves a mention as well. Both of those added a lot to the game.

Solo said:
Your neverending quest to putting BS2 over BS1 is admirable :lol , but no. Fontiane Futuristics isnt even as good as Siren's Alley or Persephone.
Fontaine Futuristics is a MUCH better level than Siren's Alley.
I can't be blamed for the fact Alexander the Great is a better character than Sander Cohen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, Fort Frolic and Sander Cohen will probably be what I remember as one of the best moments of this gen.

walking into the theatre and watching the piano explode as Cohen screamed from above was one of those memorable moments I don't get to experience all that often.

Dax01 said:
I can't be blamed for the fact Alexander the Great is a better character than Sander Cohen.
107ugev.jpg

Solo

But you can be blamed for being crazy, Dax! Hush hush, little moth.

Rez said:
yeah, Fort Frolic and Sander Cohen will probably be what I remember as one of the best moments of this gen.

walking into the theatre and watching the piano explode as Cohen screamed from above was one of those memorable moments I don't get to experience all that often.

Precisely! FF was pretty much the most amazingly conceived and realized FPS level of the past decade.

Natakuu

Banned
Finished the game just now. Definitely surprised at the quality overall, didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Also glad that it didn't have as shitty an ending as the first had.

TTG

Dax01 said:
How is that insane? Gil is much more fleshed out than Cohen was.

Let's not get into what characters were more fleshed out or more interesting, it doesn't paint a particularly good picture for the sequel. Sofia Lamb is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the utilitarian "common good" ideology, she serves as the philosophical foil to Ryan and nothing more. On the other hand, Ryan goes down in history as one of the most interesting characters across all mediums.

MORE GAME ENDING SPOILARS:

Actually, I thought Elenore had more potential
and maybe we'll get to see more of her story if/when there is a third game. I'd like to know how much humanity and individuality she really retains. I got the good ending and even then having her stick a needle into the player to sort of keep a part of him in her conscience is very interesting, I would assume a bad ending hints at even more emotional problems/damage.

bigswords

I don't get the ending...why did
Elanor kill you, so that you can be "with" her? Can't I stay alive with her in my big daddy suit?

TTG

bigswords said:
I don't get the ending...why did
Elanor kill you, so that you can be "with" her? Can't I stay alive with her in my big daddy suit?

The way I saw it is you were about to croak anyway. She just sort of downloads the player's consciousness/memories and adds it to her collection if you can call it that. Or maybe it's not a collection or hard drive(to continue the analogy) but it permanently augments her consciousness... that's one of the reasons she seems interesting.

Solo

Now give me Ken Levine, 2K Boston, and a prequel for BS3, plz. I want to see Rapture pre-gone to hell in a handbasket, I want to see Ryan pre-paranoia, Fontaine pre-Atlas, and a slightly less crazy Sander Cohen (but still crazy enough to be Sander Cohen).

Ridley327

Rez said:

I need to make a screenshot of one of the many FIRED! scrawlings you come across in Fontaine Futuristics; it would be so much more appropriate. :lol :lol :lol

Solo said:
Now give me Ken Levine, 2K Boston, and a prequel for BS3, plz. I want to see Rapture pre-gone to hell in a handbasket, I want to see Ryan pre-paranoia, Fontaine pre-Atlas, and a slightly less crazy Sander Cohen (but still crazy enough to be Sander Cohen).

I'd rather if 2K Boston charged forward with whatever new game they happen to be working on right now. As good as Bioshock 2 turned out to be, I am in no rush to revisit Rapture anytime soon.

Solo

Ridley327 said:
I'd rather if 2K Boston charged forward with whatever new game they happen to be working on right now. As good as Bioshock 2 turned out to be, I am in no rush to revisit Rapture anytime soon.

I mean post-X Com or whatever their secret game is. We all know there will be another game, so Id prefer it done by the original team. Jordan Thomas should slip back into his level designer role, which is where his real talent lies.

bigswords

TTG said:
The way I saw it is you were about to croak anyway. She just sort of downloads the player's consciousness/memories and adds it to her collection if you can call it that. Or maybe it's not a collection or hard drive(to continue the analogy) but it permanently augments her consciousness... that's one of the reasons she seems interesting.

Oh? :( that's sad in a way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Rez said:

See, this is why I was so pumped for Bioshock 2. Jordon Thomas, the director of BS2, was the man behind Fort Frolic as well as The Cradle in Thief III (which was also extremely memorable). I was hoping his influence would take the game into strange new places...

Haunted

Bioshock 2's standout scene for me was the
level you play from the little sister's pov. That's about the only moment I'd even consider to be on par with the brilliance of Rapture's reveal or Ryan's death in the first game. Good stuff!

Aside from that, it's a competent sequel. An inoffensive story, good voice acting, good art direction, a good balance of research, using plasmids and gunplay, everything pretty equal to the first game. The locations did have a bit of a "been there, done that" feeling to them, and I noticed enemies re-spawning much more often than I did in the first one (did that even have respawning enemies?).

It's also clear to me that 2K can't and won't use the same (Unreal 2.5) engine for Bioshock 3, they've gotten a lot out of it, but I think it's been pushed as far as it's gonna go - some of the texture work, animation blending and just plain poly count (underwater sequences, I'm looking at you!) just doesn't hold up to the other top tier stuff coming out these days.

All in all, I really enjoyed it, it made my preliminary GOTY 2010 list. :)

edit: not interested in the MP, so I can't comment on that.

hamchan

From OP said:
Brigid Tenebaum returns for BioShock 2. She's likely returned to Rapture because of all the recent kidnappings that have happened along the coasts of the Atlantic. Her priorities are unclear, but it is likely that the well-being of the Little Sisters is first and foremost in his mind. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise; you're expendable to her.

The OP sets Tenebaum up as a potentially interesting character but there was no sign of that at all in game:(

How awesome would it have been if she did something to screw over the player, in order to save a little sister?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheFreshPrince said:

I feel the opposite and Im at the same place ; lets say I'm using my shotgun, and inferno 3 ..

a splicer pops up around a corner shots me 2 times with her shotgun before I can react, I toss an inferno and miss, and I only hit her with one of my shotgun blasts -> dead unless I spam the first aid kit button

fuck mang, bayonetta on nsclimax was easier than this shit

big_z

TTG said:

sometime around the pillow scene it's briefly explained that if the little sister dies the connection with the big daddy is lost forever. as a result the big daddy goes insane and ends up dying. thats why the screen goes red and you grunt going through those tubes at the end, youre dying. kinda opens up a massive plot hole, since you died at the start of the game....

Bioshock 2's standout scene for me was the
level you play from the little sister's pov.That's about the only moment I'd even consider to be on par with the brilliance of Rapture's reveal or Ryan's death in the first game. Good stuff!

i liked that part as well.
for me it didnt really become apparent how big of a shit hole rapture has become until that part. it really hits hard with the contrast of what youre seeing.

Corky said:
I feel the opposite and Im at the same place ; lets say I'm using my shotgun, and inferno 3 ..

a splicer pops up around a corner shots me 2 times with her shotgun before I can react, I toss an inferno and miss, and I only hit her with one of my shotgun blasts -> dead unless I spam the first aid kit button

fuck mang, bayonetta on nsclimax was easier than this shit

in bioshock 2 the overpowered plasmids from the first game (fire/lightning) suck balls in this one. trap and hypnotize are the win weapons this time around.

Top Bottom