• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Ridley327

ColR100 said:
Returned to PC gaming with this, and Bioshock 2 has reminded me why I've not used my PC to play games in a while. Won't be buying a PC game again for god knows how long in the future now.

Crash crash crash crash. Happily plays through the first cut-scene when starting a new game, has a little audio quickly on a black screen, and then bam, locked up.

Can't understand people crying out for a PC version of Alan Wake in that other thread.

Will try and resolve the problems I'm having with Bioshock 2 tomorrow, shouldn't even need to do this.

Hardware if anyone's wondering: Q6600, 4GB ram, GTX260+.

I'm almost certain I have to murder you now.

All semi-jokey threats aside, your system is definitely up to the task of playing it just fine. Maybe you need to download some drivers for your GPU if you haven't been playing games in a while?

Miburou

I have a slightly lower specced system than yours, and the game looked amazing on it. 60fps @ 1080p is hard to beat. I had 3 crashes total, which is about what I had with BioShock 1 on the 360.

NIGHT-

ColR100 said:
Returned to PC gaming with this, and Bioshock 2 has reminded me why I've not used my PC to play games in a while. Won't be buying a PC game again for god knows how long in the future now.

Crash crash crash crash. Happily plays through the first cut-scene when starting a new game, has a little audio quickly on a black screen, and then bam, locked up.

Can't understand people crying out for a PC version of Alan Wake in that other thread.

Will try and resolve the problems I'm having with Bioshock 2 tomorrow, shouldn't even need to do this.

Just one more reason I stick to console gaming. Just pop the disc in and play.

ColR100 said:

Couple of quick Q's.

What operating system and latest graphics drivers installed ?

ColR100

NIGHT- said:
The Steam 4-pack price tempted me too much over the 360 version this time round. But yes, not sure all the tweaking hassle is worth the pay-off sometimes.

Ogs said:
Couple of quick Q's.

What operating system and latest graphics drivers installed ?
Windows7, along with 191.07 drivers. Updating those to 196.21 now. Will report back tomorrow with regards to if they work.

Also, out of curiosity, are people forcing AA through the Nvidia Control Panel or doing it some other way?

Cheers for the posts as well you lot with reference to my crashes.

venom2124

I have finished the game twice now and can say I love it. To me, Bioshock 1 is a 10 while this one is a 9. As others have said the story is slightly weaker, but the gameplay is that much stronger. I'll spoiler tag the rest just to be safe.
I was surprised how emotional the connection between Big Daddies and Little Sisters was portrayed. Hearing the audio diary that said an Alpha was crying at a Gatherer's Garden was pretty chilling. As for Lamb, I found her to be completely vile but also a bit second-string. Ryan and Fontaine/Atlas are two of best videogame characters ever and Lamb just didn't measure up. Other than prefering the original villains, Rapture was more interesting in the first. I enjoyed exploring the city more before the ocean started reclaiming it, as it appears in the second game. I loved the underwater sections, observing Rapture through the eyes of a Little Sister, and actually making stronger moral choices.

As for a third game, I feel it needs to be set in Rapture. It's too strong a setting to abandon. Andrew Ryan was always paranoid that the CIA were going to take his city, so I'd love to see that in a sequel. Play as a CIA agent attempting to uncover the technology of Rapture while the Soviets send their own agent to do the same. Hell, just give me a zoo level with a spliced up zookeeper and tiger. Have the spliced tiger hunt the player throughout the level and you have my goty right there.

Barakov

TheFreshPrince said:
Just finished....great game, but I'm left confused......

Ultimately, what was
Eleanor supposed to be? A 'perfect' person? A perfect leader/dictator for The Family? I get the Lamb was trying to put all of Rapture's memories into her, so that she could in effect 'do it all'....but what was the end goal??

Also, am I mistaken, or is
Gil Alexander humongous in the tank???

From what I read into it from all the psychobabble she spout: It seems Lamb wanted Eleanor to be the perfect person to lead a Utopian society. By putting all those memories into her I guess she wanted Eleanor to make the right decisions at the right time that would benefit Rapture as a whole. It definitely seemed like Lamb valued the well being of all over the well being of a few individuals in her own twisted way. As for Gil Alexander it looked like he transformed into a humongous fetus.

Firestorm

ColR100 said:

Update your drivers. It takes like a few clicks. I've had one crash through my entire experience with BioShock 2 thus far. I've had crashes on 360 and PS3 before as well.

NIGHT- said:
Discs? What are we? Cavemen?

All I did was double click to download, started up the game, signed in with Live account, and was done... Only issue I have is no Anti-Aliasing options built-in but that's a problem for consoles too. Would have liked gamepad too but turning off the lights and playing on my monitor is just as immersive I found out =)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I for some reason can not connect to multiplayer for shit on the Ps3

I have had this game for 5 days and 0 multiplayer goodness

It keeps hanging me on the lobby, it keeps searching for players, rather than putting me in a game

I haven't started single player yet, was finishing up Dante's Inferno, do I have to go into single player to start multiplayer?

It's really pissing me off, I can connect to White Knight Chronicles, Modern Warfare 2, even Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge of all games, but not BioShock 2

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know this isn't really the thread to ask a question about Bioshock 1, but i don't want to bump a 2-3 years old thread for this.

Anyone who played the PC version of Bioshock 1, have you ever encountered a bug where the shotgun does 0 damage at all? I keep shooting at splicers and walls and it's like no bullets come out of it. Never seen this before, but i have a feeling it has something to do with me using a cheat to have all weapons fully upgraded(yes yes i know, cheats sucks blabla, but i already beated the game without them once, i just wanted to try something new), but still... only the shotgun doesn't work.

Amir0x

Banned
Haha just had a pretty funny multiplayer experience.

we're playing Capture the Sister, and they're laying Geyser traps around the girl on the stage in Fort Frolic. I jump down thinking I'll grab her and maybe move her two feet, but the Geyser trap catapults me up to the balcony above much to my great luck. And it happened so fast, nobody including the Big Daddy knew where the Little Sister went for a few seconds, allowing me the time to dash across the way and net the Sister for a point.

I love when an enemy Geyser trap works for me :lol

TheFreshPrince

I keep seeing reviews both professional and amateur saying that they felt the last few hours redeemed the game. What are these people liking about the ending?

I loved the game a lot more early on when I was weak and low on health. Big Sisters were scary, each encounter required strategy.

By the end, especially with
Decoy 3 and Summon Eleanor
you pretty much don't have to do much of the fighting. Heck, the encounter with the
two Big Sisters simultaneously
should have been the hardest part of the game....but I breezed through on Hard in a few seconds.

Do people like the sense of empowerment, or what is it about the 'redeeming final hours'???

Filldough

TheFreshPrince said:
I keep seeing reviews both professional and amateur saying that they felt the last few hours redeemed the game. What are these people liking about the ending?

I loved the game a lot more early on when I was weak and low on health. Big Sisters were scary, each encounter required strategy.

By the end, especially with
Decoy 3 and Summon Eleanor
you pretty much don't have to do much of the fighting. Heck, the encounter with the
two Big Sisters simultaneously
should have been the hardest part of the game....but I breezed through on Hard in a few seconds.

Do people like the sense of empowerment, or what is it about the 'redeeming final hours'???

For me I think part of it is just getting over wanting it to be Bioshock1 and accepting it for what it is... It absolutely does not have the same magic the first game had but it stands on its own in the end. Just seems more action oriented whereas the first one felt a lot more mysterious and adventure-like. I've almost started to enjoy it more than the first though... I guess I also like becoming a badass and I feel like there are more ways to kill this time around. I'm already planning to play thru again using different plasmids and tonics.

edgefusion

Amir0x said:
This just boils down to a limitation of your imagination, and should not determine where a franchise should head for the developers in charge.

Like many people, when they see the incredibly realized and unique location of Rapture, you assume "nothing can top this! Hell, it'd be hard for anywhere to even equal it!" And it is true, Rapture is one of the truly brilliant gaming locations ever devised.

But to say there's nowhere else that could be as creative or inspired? I think that's a little bit much. Now again, I am not the idea maker, but I can think of a few other places. Interesting locations for moguls and their twisted morals and philosophy.

Again, I'm not making money, but the world is filled with amazing architectures and styles to choose from. We're an incredibly diverse universe and there are so many possibilities it's insane to think "well, Bioshock has hit the peak. No other ideas are worth trying."

Take a look at some diverse architecture:

http://www.newhouseofart.com/wp-con...ern-float-ecopolis-lilypad-architecture-5.jpg
http://www.thecoolist.com/wp-conten...r_by-ashton-raggatt-mcdougal-architects_1.jpg
http://trishamillerthailand.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/UN_Memorial_modern-zen.com.jpg

I'm not making a statement on whether any of these are good, just a statement on the diversity of architecture. There's a plethora of legitimate styles to choose from, and amazing locations. And even better, this is gaming... where you can invent your own.

It could be a floating city, ringed by mist among the mountains, overrun with flora and fauna. It could be a decaying temple, a portrait of hedonism and religion gone mad. Who knows? It could be anywhere. Just, it can't be Rapture again.

Sure there are lots of amazing looking individual buildings but we're talking about a whole city and cities are usually made up of many different styles. Rapture is so amazing because it's one large city all in one distinct visual style in an incredible setting. If the series moves to another fantasy setting (rather than a real place), a city in the clouds or wherever I'd only find myself thinking "Really? Another utopia? How convenient." If it took place many many years after the fall of Rapture and Splicers/some new leader type have created a new paradise then I guess it could work if that's really how they wanted the series to go. Maybe it's just me but I couldn't imagine Bioshock without Rapture, take Rapture away and it just isn't Bioshock anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
Just got to
Fontaine Futuristics
. How much left?
you're about two thirds of the way through the game.

you have that level, and then two more.

Rez said:
you're about two thirds of the way through the game.

you have that level, and then two more.

Holy shit are you serious? Damn :lol

Sinclair was like
okay kid this is the end
or something and I'm like NOOOOO

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
Holy shit are you serious? Damn :lol

Sinclair was like
okay kid this is the end
or something and I'm like NOOOOO
heh heh, you've still got some of the best content left in the game to go. wish I could play it for the first time again.

ColR100 said:
The Steam 4-pack price tempted me too much over the 360 version this time round. But yes, not sure all the tweaking hassle is worth the pay-off sometimes.

Windows7, along with 191.07 drivers. Updating those to 196.21 now. Will report back tomorrow with regards to if they work.

Also, out of curiosity, are people forcing AA through the Nvidia Control Panel or doing it some other way?

Cheers for the posts as well you lot with reference to my crashes.

Col, I had the same problem you are having. I forced DX9 mode in the Steam shortcut and it fixed it.

In Steam:
R-click on Bioshock 2 > Properties
Set Launch Options...
type "-dx9" (w/o quotes) and click OK.

Worked for me. Good luck...

Rez said:
heh heh, you've still got some of the best content left in the game to go. wish I could play it for the first time again.

Sounds good. Obviously I've been taking my time, soaking everything in and attempting to get all the audio journals, even though I know that's not happening on the first playthrough.

Scarecrow

Looking through the art book has made me dissapointed they didn't add a bunch of the stuff they designed. This is true especially with their Bid Daddy designs. They had such neat concepts that were scrapped and opted for only one new design, which itself is an unused BS1 design. The Rumbler they chose looks so lame compared to their WWII plane aesthetic one.

I can't say how well it'd go over, but I also wish they would have included some of their Doom-esque creatures in there, too. Just a few, as bosses perhaps, to show how such prolonged splicing can mess up the citizens.

Scarecrow

samus4ever said:
Just beat the game. What a last level. Now time to play some multi.
Speaking of the ending, I thought they could improve on it in a small way:
I wish that the enemies were trying to smash through the glass to get to Elenor and the sisters and not just attacking you. It would give that last section more emotional resonance. It's the last protect the little sisters mission you would do. The ultimate, everything on the line, gathering-type protect sequence.

Psy-Phi

Just finished it, and dog gonnit am I in love with this series even more now. Not sure which ending I got but it frightened me, then gave me the warm fuzzies, then perplexed me followed by more warm fuzzies.

Before I finished it I couldn't imagine having a sequel any place other than Rapture, but now...I can definitely see it elsewhere. And unlike finishing hte first, I badly want a sequel to this one. Bioshock 2 really is the best sequel nobody wanted.

Also, I've read a few people giving the impression that Rapture
is now blown up and underwater after those bombs Lamb used
. It's not
she was sinking the area you were in, it was above a chasm, but the rest of the city is quite a distance above where you were and not over the chasm.
. So it could easily still continue in Rapture.

Psy-Phi

How I wish I could delete posts whenver I do this. I mean to check and see if there's been another after I type for a few minutes but forget by the time I hit the end of my thoughts. Sorry >_<
edgefusion said:
Sure there are lots of amazing looking individual buildings but we're talking about a whole city and cities are usually made up of many different styles. Rapture is so amazing because it's one large city all in one distinct visual style in an incredible setting. If the series moves to another fantasy setting (rather than a real place), a city in the clouds or wherever I'd only find myself thinking "Really? Another utopia? How convenient." If it took place many many years after the fall of Rapture and Splicers/some new leader type have created a new paradise then I guess it could work if that's really how they wanted the series to go. Maybe it's just me but I couldn't imagine Bioshock without Rapture, take Rapture away and it just isn't Bioshock anymore.

After finishing I don't believe it needs to take place in any place unique other than a major metropolitan area. Imagine the technology of Rapture coming to the surface,
or Sophia Lamb continuing to try what she did in Rapture with the tech she knows,
entire cities or most of the population in those areas going crazy for the splicing just like the people down in Rapture did. Except now we have an open sky and huge high rises with no enclosed spaces to confine the powers in.

Maybe the tech could lead to humanity making a city on the moon, which would be just as enclosed as Rapture.
Sophia could be behind that too
, or an entirely new mogul,
working with Sophia
. There's countless possibilities that aren't of the 'roll your eyes' variety.

Finally sunk about 90 minutes into this game last night. So far it's a good game, I like it, but I can't help feel that they played it way too safe. Considering this time you're playing as a Big Daddy, it had the potential of doing some really cool and unique stuff. Yet for some reason I still find myself collecting food and drinking coffee, saving money, using vending machines, plasmids, hacking cameras, etc.... I feel nothing like a Big Daddy. I loved the first game - but I'm also getting a sinking been-there-done-that feeling while playing this one. I'll give it more time though. Combat is still fun.

I also wish there weren't as many voice-overs. Between radio communications and the tape recorders it seems like you can't walk 10 feet without having someone talking in your ear. Sometimes I'd just like them to shut up and let me explore the setting on my own.

Haven't read the rest of this thread for fear of spoilers.

wRATH2x

Banned
Was the last few levels really that great?

I got a little over half way and was really enjoying it, not as much as the first though, then my cousins Xbox went to shit. I was like I'll beat it when he fix's his 360, will be a while.

Lince

Banned
PoweredBySoy said:
Considering this time you're playing as a Big Daddy, it had the potential of doing some really cool and unique stuff. Yet for some reason I still find myself collecting food and drinking coffee, saving money, using vending machines, plasmids, hacking cameras, etc.... I feel nothing like a Big Daddy.

exactly, only the drill gives you the feeling of being a BD, never noticed a BD hacking a vending machine or drinking coffee and eating chips in Bioshock... never imagined playing as one would be like this, it's a complete letdown (lazy 2K). And no, no "alpha" or "delta" excuses, is the player really a BD or a splicer with a drill?

Filldough

Lince said:
exactly, only the drill gives you the feeling of being a BD, never noticed a BD hacking a vending machine or drinking coffee and eating chips in Bioshock... never imagined playing as one would be like this, it's a complete letdown (lazy 2K). And no, no "alpha" or "delta" excuses, is the player really a BD or a splicer with a drill?

Maybe thats part of why this game took a while to gel with me. Also, apparently I was hammered when I first played cause I started again last night and didn't remember 90% of what was happening. :lol

But yeah, just feels like they played it really safe. I thought we were supposed to get to wield dual plasmids? Once I got over the disappointments or expectations I had a lot of fun. Definitely picks up a lot at the end and I can honestly say I enjoyed it.

TTG

PoweredBySoy said:
Finally sunk about 90 minutes into this game last night. So far it's a good game, I like it, but I can't help feel that they played it way too safe. Considering this time you're playing as a Big Daddy, it had the potential of doing some really cool and unique stuff. Yet for some reason I still find myself collecting food and drinking coffee, saving money, using vending machines, plasmids, hacking cameras, etc.... I feel nothing like a Big Daddy. I loved the first game - but I'm also getting a sinking been-there-done-that feeling while playing this one. I'll give it more time though. Combat is still fun.

I also wish there weren't as many voice-overs. Between radio communications and the tape recorders it seems like you can't walk 10 feet without having someone talking in your ear. Sometimes I'd just like them to shut up and let me explore the setting on my own.

Haven't read the rest of this thread for fear of spoilers.

Right, because cutting out a huge part of what made the first game great and then making the player a clumsy bullet sponge would of been totally the right thing to do.

Spend another 2-3 hours with the game and you'll see some of the changes they made. Defending the little sisters as they gather Adam for you is one of the most unique elements in any FPS and fits well with... playing as a big daddy. How often do you play a first person shooter defensively? Actively picking an area where you feel you have the biggest advantage, setting up defensive measures and distractions, planning out the plasmids and weapons you will be using before triggering the event.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm at Dionysus Park now and I encoutered quite the bug.

My left hand, the plasmid one then, was suddenly gone after I used the scout plasmid. I couldn't use any of the plasmid abilities. At first, I couldn't even get up the plasmid wheel.

It seemed to go back to normal when I ran up to some splicers and let them kill me so I could respawn at a vita chamber though. Either way, that's gotta suck if you're playing without vita chambers (unless you can turn them on during mid-game, I suppose?).

EDIT: I'm playing it on the X360, by the way.

dyergram

I have run into a control bug I have re mapped 'use' to E it works with everything except picking up the little sisters anybody else experience this? Its real annoying having to switch back to the default controls all the time :(

Firestorm

Haters are wrong. Just finished the game and there were so many great moments during my playthrough. Rapture absolutely did have a reason to be revisited and I'm glad they made it. I do hope we get a game where
we see what happens to those who reach the surface

Cep

Banned
Firestorm said:
Haters are wrong. Just finished the game and there were so many great moments during my playthrough. Rapture absolutely did have a reason to be revisited and I'm glad they made it. I do hope we get a game where
we see what happens to those who reach the surface

No real reason to visit it other than to make another game.

I personally think this game is superior to the first in almost every way, but let us not kid ourselves.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Picked this up today and played up through
the amusement park

Liking it a lot so far, although it does feel very much like a retread of the first Bioshock. Hopefully the story picks up more soon. The gameplay feels great so far and the atmosphere is very food.

I also really like the unlock framerate option. I noticed no difference in graphics and the framerate went up a ton. More console games need this.

Jintor

I have to say, they did a really good job of not making every defence event not feel like a chore and instead feel like FUN.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:
I have to say, they did a really good job of not making every defence event not feel like a chore and instead feel like FUN.
yeah, they lasted for juuust the right amount of time. it was a really worthwhile addition to the whole little sister thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dyergram said:
I have run into a control bug I have re mapped 'use' to E it works with everything except picking up the little sisters anybody else experience this? Its real annoying having to switch back to the default controls all the time :(
the little sister prompts don't change, but you can still use 'e' to pick them up.

if 'e' stops working, go into the menu and rebind the button to another key, then straight back to 'e' and it will work.

Cep

Banned
Rez said:
yeah, they lasted for juuust the right amount of time. it was a really worthwhile addition to the whole little sister thing.

Ehh, they do get pretty repetitive, but not OMG MAKE IT STOP bad.

I still wish that they had worked on making the encounters feel unique, but it was okay, definitely not a strength though.

Also, am I the only one that liked the writing in this game more? This time there was a much more active plot and I feel that the game hugely benefited from it.

Come to think of it, I did not really like the first Bioshock much, liked this one much better.

They still need to learn level design(not completely fair, they got a lot better) and game progression though(I think that they may have gotten worse).

Red

Anyone else playing on PC able to get into a multiplayer game? The only gametype I can even connect to is free for all, and I've never made it through a full match without a crash :(

On the plus side, I'm enjoying my second time through the game much more. The gameplay is a huge step up from the first game. New plasmids and the changes they made to higher level abilities add a lot to the experience, though enemy types and AI can still be pretty predictable and easy to deal with. Hopefully there are some tougher fights, or at least more interesting enemies in the next BS title.

Still think the story is disappointing, still don't think the writing matches up to number 1, but the strength of the gunplay carries it.

fernoca

Yeah, agree with the whole Big Daddy feel.. :lol
Looking at his mask..where does he put the cigarettes? How does he eats potato chips? Does he open the tiny vent and just throw the chips all over his face? :p

Anyway..loving the game. But I can only play it like after 10PM..earlier in the day, it just doesn't feel the same....oh, and Siren Alley's ending was ..all sorts of awesome.

Miburou

dyergram said:

I had the same issue, except I mapped hacking to the E button (while keeping B as the primary). I can hack with the E button just fine, but when choosing to buyout E doesn't work; only B does.

G-Fex

I'm probably wrong to question this but.

Yay we made it to the surface, oh you're going to die? That's ok! let me draw your lifeforce/adam and inject it into me so you'll always be with me! We're going to go live normal lives k thanks bye. And what's with the "Father you always told me." He never talked! He's a big daddy, last time he did talk was when he was human and even then I'm sure it was way before they met.

But a real real real good sequel though I liked it

G-Fex said:
I'm probably wrong to question this but.

Yay we made it to the surface, oh you're going to die? That's ok! let me draw your lifeforce/adam and inject it into me so you'll always be with me! We're going to go live normal lives k thanks bye. And what's with the "Father you always told me." He never talked! He's a big daddy, last time he did talk was when he was human and even then I'm sure it was way before they met.

But a real real real good sequel though I liked it
I thought
she said you showed me, not you told me.
I don't remember that well though.

I'm planning on restarting since I only got to
Dionysus Park.

I'm going to be really meticulous now and find every last diary, and power to the people station.

Although maybe I should just finish my first playthrough just to see one of the endings.

Top Bottom