• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Wiggum2007 said:
Noooooo why post a link here!? I don't think anyone interested in the game here feels like getting the ending spoiled!

Someone PM'd me saying they received PMs from others asking for it, so.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
As excited as I am about the game, I'll admit I haven't really kept up with news regarding it. Is there even the slimmest chance we'll get an early 360 demo a la the first game?

Was such an exciting day way back when...

tedtropy said:
As excited as I am about the game, I'll admit I haven't really kept up with news regarding it. Is there even the slimmest chance we'll get an early 360 demo a la the first game?

no

Defcon

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
Screen_shot_2010-02-04_at_8_29_31_PM.png

bombershock.jpg

tedtropy said:

Same here. But apparently the narrative is even better in the second one and the ending is awesome.

saunderez

vodka-bull said:
I just can't imagine that a multiplayer game called Bioshock 2 could build up the same atmosphere as it's predecessor which was a really deep singleplayer experience.
You do realise that totally different developers did the single and multiplayer portions of the game right?

vodka-bull said:
I just can't imagine that a multiplayer game called Bioshock 2 could build up the same atmosphere as it's predecessor which was a really deep singleplayer experience.

I'm sure he thought multiplayer ruined MP2: Echoes too.

Edit: Also, any idea how the game'll perform? Im slightly above them recommended specs...but are those likely to be the ACTUAL recommended or not even close? First one runs fine though, why'm I worryin.

Poona

Anyone know if the 360 and PS3 have any differences yet?

I have both consoles, and decided to put a pre-order down for the PS3 version. If the 360 version is better though I will change to that.

Poona said:
Anyone know if the 360 and PS3 have any differences yet?

I have both consoles, and decided to put a pre-order down for the PS3 version. If the 360 version is better though I will change to that.
Well, Bioshock 1 was better on the 360.

I don't think anyone/website has confirmed which version is better.

SuperAwesome said:
Someone PM'd me saying they received PMs from others asking for it, so.

Jesus. People are silly, eh? If you don't care enough to play the game, why on earth would you care enough to want to know the ending?

vodka-bull said:

And so getting back to your original point, you think its lame for Bioshock 2 MP to have a leveling up system because Bioshock 1 SP was a really deep experience?

Well sir, you have certainly convinced me not to buy Bioshock 2.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
whatevermort said:
Jesus. People are silly, eh? If you don't care enough to play the game, why on earth would you care enough to want to know the ending?
People are probably just interested in where Rapture ultimately went but have no interest in this game. Be it the monetary or time investment.

Regardless, it isn't worth hearing the ending because it's unlikely it will have as much meaning without context.

Truant

I just want to say that I'll ban anyone so munch mentioning a spoiler in this thread, through sheer force of will.

DeadlySchnauzer said:
And so getting back to your original point, you think its lame for Bioshock 2 MP to have a leveling up system [attached with achievements to force 100% completionists to play it] because Bioshock 1 SP was a really deep experience [because it didn't had a mulitplayer mode]?

Well sir, you have certainly convinced me not to buy Bioshock 2.

fixed.

"How can we actually earn extra money by making the buyers play the multiplayer besides the singleplayer?"
"let's make a leveling system, attach some achievements to it and we'll be fine. Those two elements are much faster implemented than something like good balancing and the other dinky stuff big MP games can offer. wolfenstein did it and so do we!"

SlayrUK

Truant said:
I just want to say that I'll ban anyone so munch mentioning a spoiler in this thread, through sheer force of will.

I'll help - i've waited years for this game so don't need it spoiling so close to release.

Maybe i'll take a GAF vacation till Tuesday...

Johnny Utah said:
Still don't feel like picking this up.

Pretty big fan of the original though. However this just feels like an expansion pack.

Of course it's a junior that makes a post like this.

CozMick

Banned
So damn hyped for this game,

It's such a shame the story/ending has been leaked and now will stop me from visiting this thread until I've finished it because of possible suicide accounts.

One question before I leave, Are Plasmids in multi-player Bioshock's version of Perks in MW2?

Are they unlocks included in the progression ranking system?

CozMick said:

It's such a shame the story/ending has been leaked and now will stop me from visiting this thread until I've finished it because of possible suicide accounts.

One question before I leave, Are Plasmids in multi-player Bioshock's version of Perks in MW2?

I think you rank them up, and they do different things. You getting this like mick should have mine for the weekend like zavvi sent it out two days ago. Your internet back up like you need mag you dick.:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i saw something naughty in this thread

Johnny Utah said:
Was just voicing a concern. No need to play the junior card.

GAF tends to have a proverbial stick up their ass, especially when you voice a differing opinion. This is best displayed in the "official" threads. You get used to it.

COLLECTORS EDITION DISPATCHED!!!!

tenritsu

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Well, Bioshock 1 was better on the 360.

I don't think anyone/website has confirmed which version is better.
The PS3 Bioshock 1 had a bunch of bonus content though, didn't it?

RDreamer

tenritsu said:

It had some DLC you could get. You had to pay for it, but I don't think it was ever available for the 360. I think there were some graphical anomolies and things for a bit on the PS3, but I want to say they fixed some of that. On my playthrough I never noticed anything at all wrong. It played pretty smoothly for me, and I would have never guessed I was playing a shoddy port or something, so that's why I'm pretty confident in picking up the PS3 version of Bioshock 2, too.

Eric WK

Johnny Utah said:

You weren't voicing a concern, though. You made an offhand comment with no explanation or reasoning. In what way does BioShock 2 feel like an expansion pack? Has anyone who's played the game made comments or relayed impressions that would lead you to this "concern"?

That said, the Junior card is dumb as hell and Dax is a little bit special.

tenritsu

Banned
RDreamer said:
It had some DLC you could get. You had to pay for it, but I don't think it was ever available for the 360. I think there were some graphical anomolies and things for a bit on the PS3, but I want to say they fixed some of that. On my playthrough I never noticed anything at all wrong. It played pretty smoothly for me, and I would have never guessed I was playing a shoddy port or something, so that's why I'm pretty confident in picking up the PS3 version of Bioshock 2, too.
Yeah then do that.

Plus, if you pick up the PS3 version, you can play multiplayer with me! :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Stop posting pictures of your boxes. I don't give a shit. :lol

Play! Play! Play! Take a picture of your TV with the game running.
whatevermort said:
RIP bro.

Johnny Utah said:
Please tell me the logic in posting in a thread dedicated to a game that you have no intention of playing. To go even further than that, tell me why you feel the need to let other people know you won't be getting the game. Do you think it's because others will care?

Solo said:
Dont worry. Dax doesnt like it when you disagree.
Similar to my response to him, but please tell me, or explain to me, the reasoning in posting in a thread dedicated to a game that you aren't going to play. Especially if those posts show that you don't like the game (i.e., trolling).

Eric WK said:
You weren't voicing a concern, though. You made an offhand comment with no explanation or reasoning. In what way does BioShock 2 feel like an expansion pack? Has anyone who's played the game made comments or relayed impressions that would lead you to this "concern"?

That said, the Junior card is dumb as hell and Dax is a little bit special.
I'm not sure if I want to know what you meant by that, but in response to the junior card, that was the first time I ever used it I think. I regret doing it, too.

DancingJesus said:
When does the embargo go up for reviews?
It's looking like Monday is when the embargo is lifted.

Neverender said:
Sorry it's just a photo from the store room, I'm not breaking street date :). Box is huge though.
Why do you intentionally mislead me? :*(

On the subject of the marketing, WSJ posted an article about BioShock 2's marketing. The article kind of gives something about the campaign away, but it was something that was expected if you've been following SomethingintheSea. I'll put the article in quotes with the spoiler in tags.

If the man in the picture shows up and demands that you get into his car, would you do it?

Three people actually did last week when they were met by him at a Red Roof Inn in Miami. Videogame publisher Take-Two Interactive’s 2K Games subsidiary arranged the stunt as part of an elaborately staged marketing campaign for its highly-anticipated first-person shooter game BioShock 2.

The game, to be released February 9, is set in Rapture, a fictional underwater city that was designed in 1946 as a utopia for the intellectual elite. The city breaks down after scientists discover they can genetically re-engineer themselves through stem cells harvested from a sea slug that are mass-produced in the stomachs of young girls. The first BioShock game was set after that breakdown in 1960.

BioShock 2 picks up about a decade after the events of the first game. As part of a stealth marketing campaign, the company created a fictional character, Mark Meltzer, whose daughter is kidnapped and taken to Rapture. The company set up a Web site called “Something in the Sea,” where it left information that Meltzer had ostensibly dug up, including X-ray photos and fake newspaper articles.

But what started out as a modest campaign has become a much bigger production than the company had imagined. A few months after putting up the Web site, the company left a note with Meltzer’s postbox address on it. The postbox actually went to two 2K Games employees. One fan, on a whim, sent in an actual letter, to which the 2K Games team responded with a crayon drawing of a BioShock character. That opened up a deluge of fans writing in from all over the U.S. and overseas, including Australia, Germany and Canada.

Tom Bass, director of marketing for 2K Games, said the company received 150 letters a day at its peak with many of them creatively done, smeared with blood, using an old typewriter or written on an old piece of paper. To each, 2K Games sent back a record of the song “Rise Rapture, Rise,” with a hidden message from Meltzer’s daughter at the end of it.

A few months later, the company posted a puzzle that revealed the coordinates of eight beaches around the world, the date and the time of sunrise. Fans who showed up received bottles from Rapture with BioShock posters inside it. (Bass said some fans sold them on eBay for up to $300. At Jones Beach in Long Island last summer, 250 fans showed up.

Bass said the campaign has been so successful that it has even prompted the developers to change the game to incorporate the Meltzer character, who wasn’t originally part of the game.
He won’t say how much the campaign has cost, but says “it’s the biggest that 2K Games has ever done.”

Now the months-long campaign is about to draw to a close. On January 8, 2K Games launched a global manhunt for a man who escaped from an insane asylum but may be useful to Meltzer because he has been to Rapture. For the last several weeks, actors dressed in 1960s-wear have been showing up unannounced on the doorsteps of fans, who had sent letters to Meltzer, with mysterious telegrams , secret packages and assignments to help them find the man.

All signs are now pointing to something happening in San Francisco this weekend. Bass won’t say what that is, but promises that fans won’t be disappointed.

The most awesome bit I put in bold.

tenritsu said:

The 360 had some free DLC that included the Sonic Boom plasmid and a few extra tonics.

The PS3 had the Challenge room DLC that were each stages that existed outside of the main game that allowed you to use some of the Bioshock toolset in new and creative ways.
CozMick said:
:

Thanks

More or less, yeah. You start off with the basic weapons and plasmids (shotgun, machine gun, pistol and the "elemental" plasmids, Winter Blast, Incinerate! and Electro-Bolt), you then unlock more plasmids, tonics, and weapons as you level up and reach the higher echelons of the Sinclair Solutions Product Testing program (Silver Club, Gold CLub, and so on).

Top Bottom