• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

SPEA

I just watched the Video review. Environments look as good if not sometimes better and as inspired as the 1st. I can't wait.

Truant

Not watching or reading that review, but can someone give a quick spoiler free typeup? Like plusses and minuses?

theBishop

Banned
Truant said:
Not watching or reading that review, but can someone give a quick spoiler free typeup? Like plusses and minuses?

Thankfully, the review doesn't have any significant spoilers.

+ Rapture is still cool
+ Normal sequelly gameplay tweaks (hacking doesn't interrupt the game, don't have to switch to use plasmids)
+ Did mention Rapture?

- Andrew Ryan is gone and no one equally cool takes his place
- Graphics aren't Uncharted 2
- Rapture isn't as shocking the 2nd time

theBishop said:
Thankfully, the review doesn't have any significant spoilers.

+ Rapture is still cool
+ Normal sequelly gameplay tweaks (hacking doesn't interrupt the game, don't have to switch to use plasmids)
+ Did mention Rapture?

- Andrew Ryan is gone and no one equally cool takes his place
- Graphics aren't Uncharted 2
- Rapture isn't as shocking the 2nd time
I wouldn't go this far. There were a few interactions with certain characters I could have really done with out.

For example,
I didn't want to know that the Big Sister can steal your Little Sister from you

Ramirez said:
Just the first one.
These "MUST HATE!" posts are always pretty funny.

Truant said:
+The changes 2K Marin have made make for a better play experience.
+Story is tighter and easier to digest.
+Additional story details, such as audio diaries and writings on the wall, refer to the game's main events, and drive the action with a more "coherent momentum."
+LS Adam-gathering sequences are a lot of fun.
+Moral choices are good and the game is much better at presenting the impact of your choices throughout the game.
+Audio is good. Strong voice acting and music score.
+The story, setting, and gameplay are woven together in a very good way.
+Multiplayer is (or can be) better than expected

- None of the characters are as good as Andrew Ryan.
- It feels very familiar.
- Graphics aren't a huge improvement.
- Some of the mystery/chaos/panic of Rapture has been lost.

FrankT

Well just put down a second reserve. I'm going to hit up the midnight release. Anyhow, this is somewhat disappointing;

- None of the characters are as good as Andrew Ryan.

Shawsie64

Banned
jesus @ the special edition with vinyl.. had it pre-ordered and was gonna just get reg until i watched the video unboxing in the OP.. incredible! day one:D

From email propaganda

bio2letter_hed2.jpg

bio2_review_scores.gif

onken said:
Damn forgot about this, now I have to go play the first one, thanks jerks.

If you sit for a while, you should be able to beat it this weekend, and if you are going to watch Superbowl and have party tomorrow, still should be able to beat by Monday.

Do not start the second one without playing the first.

Denzar

So I just scored some extra cash. Should I pick up Bioshock 2?

The other guaranteed buy this month is Heavy Rain.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what 2K Marin have in store for the games intro.

I replayed the whole first section up until the Medical Pavilion of Bioshock, and damn, that is one of the best levels in gaming; it's a masterpiece.

Rich!

Anyone know yet whether the PS3 version stands up to the 360 one or not?

I've got mine preordered where I work. What sucks is that we got our copies in on thursday, and they're there taunting me every time I work - we can't early rent them or anything unlike usual games. And when it comes out on tuesday, I'm working an entire day shift. Everyone else is going to be coming in, picking up their copies, and I'll be stuck at work, waiting to go home and play mine.

Firestorm said:
When does the embargo lift for the real websites?
It's looking like it will be Monday.

Deepack said:
So I just scored some extra cash. Should I pick up Bioshock 2?

The other guaranteed buy this month is Heavy Rain.
Did you enjoy the first game a lot? Are you down for another round in Rapture? If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, then you should pick it up.

richisawesome said:
Anyone know yet whether the PS3 version stands up to the 360 one or not?

I've got mine preordered where I work. What sucks is that we got our copies in on thursday, and they're there taunting me every time I work - we can't early rent them or anything unlike usual games. And when it comes out on tuesday, I'm working an entire day shift. Everyone else is going to be coming in, picking up their copies, and I'll be stuck at work, waiting to go home and play mine.

Either checkout the developer walkthrough from the Playstation Blog or watch last month's Qore episode. Both feature heavy amounts of video from the PS3 build and it looks like it turned out just fine. Certainly better than Bio1.

Amir0x

Banned
It hasn't been for me since I've been playing a month of great games and burying myself in work.

It's gonna be hard for me NOW because I have two weeks of nothing between me and Bioshock 2, since even though I'm going to have Bioshock 2 next week I won't be able to play it because I'm going to be away.

Wiggum2007

Something about the combat in Bioshock 1 always seemed a bit clunky and I guess just "off" to me, though I can't put my finger on what exactly. I guess one thing was probably the sheer density and monotony of the enemies, I got sick of them pretty quickly. It made the game somewhat exhausting for me to continue playing towards the end, but I'm hoping they've improved upon this in 2, and I am still excited enough to be picking it up after I've finished Mass Effect 2.

Wiggum2007 said:
Something about the combat in Bioshock 1 always seemed a bit clunky and I guess just "off" to me, though I can't put my finger on what exactly. I guess one thing was probably the sheer density and monotony of the enemies, I got sick of them pretty quickly. It made the game somewhat exhausting for me to continue playing towards the end, but I'm hoping they've improved upon this in 2, and I am still excited enough to be picking it up after I've finished Mass Effect 2.

I agree that combat on console Bioshock hasn't aged well. Only because you really have to rely on the auto aim as the analog settings are pretty bad by today standards.
Playing on PC though, the combat is still very much awesome as the added precision/speed really opens it up. This is why I went ahead with the PC version.

sam27368

Banned
play.com says it's been posted! Any news if there's a/on the difference between 360 & PS3?
samueljustice - xbox 360 tag, add up for some multiplayer.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Will be picking up the original Bioshock today for $10 new at BestBuy. I want to finish it before I jump into Bioshock 2.

edgefusion

Just picked this up from my local supermarket (yes, supermarket) and it's installing now. Damn there is no progress indicator and it's taking forever. I just wanna play! :(

edgefusion said:
Just picked this up from my local supermarket (yes, supermarket) and it's installing now. Damn there is no progress indicator and it's taking forever. I just wanna play! :(
:O Make sure to post impressions! Then post more impressions! I want to hear opinions from other GAFfers.

EzLink

Banned
Any word on the length? I really want to play this but I'm too broke to buy it, so I'm wondering if I can beat it on a rental

Merovin

What a week to have off work! Forgot this was released this Tuesday! Preordered on Amazon some time ago, I hope they get it delivered for Tuesday morning!

edgefusion

I'll try my best to be as spoiler-free as possible (PS3 version).

Intro - Pretty gripping, they've certainly improved facial animation and overall people look significantly better than in Bioshock 1. The atmosphere is sufficiently chilling and intriguing, it almost immediately raises a whole bunch of questions.

You can see the Big Daddy's helmet in the corners of the screen which is a little irritating, hopefully I'll get used to it. Fake edit: there's an option to turn the helmet off in the options. Phew!

It seems to control very similarly to the original Bioshock which makes it easy to slip into. The drill has a fuel gauge which seems to go down quite quickly (but I've not had any problem finding fuel laying about). Combat is also pretty much the same, except you have a drill instead of a wrench which elicits mass gore when you poke someone with it. The first plasmid you get is
Electro Bolt, just like in the first game

Resolution could be better, text is blurry (and/or jaggy) and there's a vaguely vaseline-like quality to the environment because of it. So far this is my main gripe really, it'd be much nicer looking if it were just crisper.

There's an option to unlock the framerate (like in Bioshock 1), it seems to make the game much smoother although I'll have to see how it goes. I'm inclined to say it's better with it unlocked, especially if you're the kind of person who is sensitive to framerate. I can't see myself locking it again anyway unless it really causes some performance issues.

Audio logs are back and just as interesting as ever.

Overall my first impressions are good, it seems like more of the same (great) stuff but I'm only a short way into it so who knows how it could get changed up. There are lots of similarities to the first game which makes it really feel like you're returning to Rapture and.... well that's pretty great! It feels like a continuation rather than a revamp. If you didn't enjoy the first Bioshock though then I'd be inclined to give this a miss as it doesn't seem like you'll find anything significantly different. I'll post again later with some updated impressions if I have anything new to say and I'll leave multiplayer impressions to someone else as I'm not really a multiplayer kind of guy.

Alec

I'm about 9 hours in....I've explored absolutely every nook and cranny in the game so far, so I'm not sure how much more I've got left.

The story isn't out of this world or anything. I'm expecting a huge twist at some point like in the first game, but I'm beginning to think that twist isn't coming.

To sum up my feelings so far: It's BioShock. If you like BioShock, you'll like BioShock 2. I haven't been even the slightest bit bored, but I haven't exactly been intrigued by anything going on in the game either. It might not be as *good* as the first one, but it's certainly just as fun.

farnham

Banned
did 2k mention something about region free..?

the first one was confirmed to be region free well in advance to the release...

Top Bottom