• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

So I played some more, and another little detail I like is when the security guards remind to you reload, if you are walking around with a gun with a half spent or near empty chamber.

"Remember to load your gun, Mr Freeman."
"I won't travel with you if you keep forgetting to reload your gun like that"

That is another nice touch.

I also like that you can actually wound scientists in this game, unlike Half-Life 2 where all the NPC's are invincible. That makes me sound a bit sadistic for pointing this out, but it was a little detail that annoyed me in the HL2 series.

Other things I noticed:

- I didn't care how late in the game you received the crowbar. I can understand what they were going for here, but It would've been nicer to have a melee weapon sooner. Though, you could pick up discarded flares and use them to burn zombies. So that does even things out a bit.

-The crowbar whacking animation seems a bit stiff to me, I don't know this feels a little off.

-The Vortigon seem easier to kill. maybe it is just me, but I remember them being a lot harder to put down in the original game.

-Slight variations in level design. Actually some of these changes are really well done, like how you have to turn on the power to the large elevator with the headcrabs that rain down on you, before you can use it.

-Half-Life 2 physics add some neat touches. Like the moment where you had to jump from box to box that are attached to metal cables. Landing on each box causes to them sway and tilt a bit adding an extra feeling of vertigo.

-I still prefer the action music in the original half-Life 1... but here the new tracks are still decent.

epmode

-Half-Life 2 physics add some neat touches. Like the moment where you had to jump from box to box that are attached to metal cables. Landing on each box causes to them sway and tilt a bit adding an extra feeling of vertigo.

I'm pretty sure the swaying boxes were in the original as well.

I don't mean to discount this mod's accomplishments because it's still goddamned amazing!

epmode

Yeah, there's some silly incidental dialogue.

I also like how the NPCs talk to each other even when it's not a fully scripted conversation.

"Haven't we been here before?"

"Just shut up"

Tattooth

I posted in here before but I don't think I got a response. Does anyone else have an issue where weapon models do not show. I have re-installed both the SDK and the mod, but no luck so far, I really want to play this but this odd issue is stopping me.

Dopefish lives!
3FBAE570F5B28CBE838DCE8D450FB5BBFC03D354

I don't mean to discount this mod's accomplishments because it's still goddamned amazing!
Nope, they remained completely static. Wasn't until HL: Source that there was a little swing when you jumped from one to the other.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed it. It was great! Hats off to the team for making this happen. Shows a lot of dedication and love for the original material.

Couple crashes here and there, was solved by reloading a save from 1 min before. No biggie, it's not like this had the QA of a major release :)

Good job!

sn00zer

Just completed it. It was great! Hats off to the team for making this happen. Shows a lot of dedication and love for the original material.

Couple crashes here and there, was solved by reloading a save from 1 min before. No biggie, it's not like this had the QA of a major release :)

Good job!

Any critiques AI wise?

Clydefrog

yep, found it.

for those who want to do AA injection (ie, SweetFX)

Steam\steamapps\[your_steam_account_name]\source sdk base 2007\

is where you need to go. works wonderfully.

I put all the sweetfx files in there but when I run the game, it doesn't create a log.log meaning it's not working. :(

McNum

some fresh crow is to be served to some of ya'll haters and doubters.
This mod by far exceeds my expectations. I expected it to be a nice mod at best, not something that would be close to the original Half-Life in quality. It has a few rough patches and a couple of bugs, but I'm up to Blast Pit and so far it's good.

They did an excellent job. Much better than I was expecting. Quite the vindication for those guys I would think.

Terrible thread title, though. Sorry.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Those boxes were annoying the hell out off me, took me a good 15 tries to finally get past it. The wire kept clipping the side of my character which would make a character go way off target when I was sprinting.

jediyoshi

How do you get the xbox controller working?
Mine isnt working.

Options -> Mouse -> Enable the joystick

Left trigger - Alt Fire
Right trigger - Fire
Left bumper - Sprint
Right bumper - Reload

A - Jump
B / X - Use
Y - Flashlight

Left thumbstick - Crouch
Dpad up/down - Zoom
Dpad left/right - Weapon scroll

xJavonta

Banned
How do you get the xbox controller working?
Mine isnt working.
Plug and play for me. However controller support kind of sucks. Can't do any menu stuff with it, and since aim playing from my couch in BPM I have to get up and go to my computer to load the game. Minor inconvenience. But I'd still love to see full support.

Haunted

Plug and play for me. However controller support kind of sucks. Can't do any menu stuff with it, and since aim playing from my couch in BPM I have to get up and go to my computer to load the game. Minor inconvenience. But I'd still love to see full support.
Yup. Just from the coincidental release timing, this would have been a great fit for big picture mode. Free mod, hotly anticipated, native controller support.

edit: also I just can't get over how awful the HL menus are. Just terrible.

xJavonta

Banned
Yup. Just from the coincidental release timing, this would have been a great fit for big picture mode. Free mod, hotly anticipated, native controller support.

Still could be a perfect fit if it's fully complete and on Steam by the time BPM is out of beta!

And Half Life has always had pretty lackluster menus. Just small text with a background that indicates a recent event you passed in the game. Same with Portal 1

Is anyone else having to crouch and jump at the same time to reach platforms, instead of just jumping, or is something wrong with my game?

some fresh crow is to be served to some of ya'll haters and doubters.

It's funny, all the people who we're trolling the BMS threads throughout the last year or so have not showed up in this thread outside of Elektrixx who kept bashing it in this thread. I don't expect them to come here and make amends with this game and their rough treatment of it over the years and there is a certain mod who was doing some heavy bashing and trolling who i don't expect to come in here either.

Razek

Banned
Is anyone else having to crouch and jump at the same time to reach platforms, instead of just jumping, or is something wrong with my game?

After someone told me how, I've basically had to crouch jump ~95% of the jumps in this game. Overall, this has been the biggest design flaw I have had with the game, and it actually starts to bleed into the 'annoying' category.

Hmm, haven't seen any hound eyes for a while but three vortigaunts spawned. I'm at this point:

None of the doors open, and I can't get to that upper one.

I got a bit lost there too. You go back through the red hall and into the main corridor. There will be a room with electrical water on the floor through some breakable glass.

Crouch jumping is a common thing, worry not.

It's a classic HL1 mechanic. HL2 somewhat did away with it by having your character auto crouch whenever you needed the extra clearance.
Wow really? All this time and I had no clue. I would just crouch jump things that seemed like they required it out of habit.

jediyoshi

It's a classic HL1 mechanic. HL2 somewhat did away with it by having your character auto crouch whenever you needed the extra clearance.

After someone told me how, I've basically had to crouch jump ~95% of the jumps in this game. Overall, this has been the biggest design flaw I have had with the game, and it actually starts to bleed into the 'annoying' category.

Agreed, they should've made the jump height length longer. Only other complaint I have is that the game turns auto aim on everytime you start it up. Great mod otherwise!

I've played through HL1 a few times and only remember a few times when you needed to crouch jump, in Black Mesa you have to do it for every platform.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Would this be a good way for someone to get into the HL series? I've never played them...

Definitely. Play on Easy or Normal though.

Better than the Combine, maybe not quite as good as the marines in the original.

They're basically the same. When you're behind cover and they're not in view, they will run closer to you. If they're in view they will stand still and shoot at you for a little while.

I think they're really cool and atmospheric. It was a great touch that they added from HL2.

Anyways, still trudging through Hard and having the time of my gaming life. Almost done with Surface Tension.

7990509546_47909524da_b.jpg

People complaining about the crouch-jump or getting stuck near objects are gonna have a really fun time with Residue Processing. The level is 90% platforming :)

7990500173_c57c1be5d4_b.jpg

The average health I had for this level was probably around 20. The dam fight was ruthless but so cool. I recommend the magnum and smg for long range when you're out of crossbow ammo. The shotgun is really excellent too, the recovery time is extremely small. The grunts are more accurate in BMS than the original so I've even found use for the Hivehand as a way to chip damage around corners. If you're playing on Hard and haven't passed Questionable Ethics yet, just be ready for some really tough fights. You have to pretty much know where the enemies are coming from and where the turrets are. The tanks and helicopters will also give you a bad day if you're not prepared. And damn the music is sooo good.

And good effing luck with the assassins. Definitively harder than their HL counterparts, I recommend the SMG secondary fire and trip-laser-mines.

jediyoshi

I've played through HL1 a few times and only remember a few times when you needed to crouch jump, in Black Mesa you have to do it for every platform.

Then yes, there may be something wrong with a configuration file if every platform requires a crouch jump. The sv_gravity variable is a quick check and there's probably one tied directly to jumping. You can search for commands in the console with 'find <searchterm>' and see if anything isn't matching up with the default value it lists next to the variable.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ah, thanks. Are they ever going to release that section of the game, or is this it?

It will be released later along with Deathmatch Source (HL1's competitive multiplayer remake)

Xen is really different from the rest of the game, so it's not a jarring end or beginning.

Wow, residue processing looks awesome in that pic above, can't wait to get there. And I fear having to fight the ninja assassins in this mod, i felt like the ones in OG HL we're hard motherfuckers as is.

Top Bottom