• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

But Half-Life in general loaded a lot faster than Half-Life 2, even at launch. That streaming tech can't come soon enough.
Yeah, the loading in Half-Life quickly became damn near instantaneous. Playing through it now to refresh myself, the entire tram ride up to the point where a Barney greets you is 5 loading segments.

Not tried this yet, is it full of cockroaches? I remember some very old talk about cockroach AI and stuff.
Cockroaches are indeed in the game at several points scurrying about.

Castun

Neo Member
Another complaint about the Marine AI: they are also alerted by you even when their back is turned to you while you sneak around the corner from 50 feet away. 360' no-scope.

Type_Raver

Loving the remake! The atmosphere, tension, and the HL universe in its origins but with nicer textures and models. Nice touch on the grain effect while in the green toxic areas.

Sweet time filler until HL3 is announced.

Razek

Banned
Beat it. I enjoyed everything except for the final battle. What a mess. It ran like a slideshow, probably ~15fps. The flying alien brain guys are completely broken in hit detection. If you shoot their tiny body it counts as a hit, but hit their enormous head and it goes right through, urgh.

Also, my favorite part: "It's ready! You must go!"
*Jumps for the open port
*Dies anyways because it wasn't actually open.

I had fun with the mod. It's well done and hey, you can't beat free. Too bad my very last memory of it had to be sour.

Ugh can anyone else not get fast weapon switching to work? I check it in options, then resume game it doesn't work, I check to see if the option is on but its not when I clearly clicked it.

Finished it, having never played a HL game before.

Fantastic. I am hyped for the final area. I hope they take their time and make it long, because I am up for much more of this game.

Should I wait until I play the end of HL1 before I play HL2?

Fantastic. I am hyped for the final area. I hope they take their time and make it long, because I am up for much more of this game.

It isn't really a must see ending. HL2 is pretty self contained, and you will have seen enough by the time you finish the mod to connect any dots.

MrBig

HL2 is great, having never finished HL1 myself, but I'd wait for the rest of Black Mesa.

You don't even really need to play through HL1 to get to HL2, so go for it. Maybe check out a Youtube vid of the ending of HL1 just to see how it directly connects to the intro of HL2, but it's not necessary.

hiryu64

Anyone have trouble getting the Hidden Hat achievement to register? I managed to find the hat in
Lambda Complex during the first teleporter segment
, but when I finally got to the portal to Xen I took the hat through and...nothing. I reloaded and threw the hat in separately before jumping in and...still nothing.

Am I the only one having trouble with that achievement?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer online. Apparently
there's a second hat in the "Forget About Freeman" chapter located in a shipping container in the warehouse with the assassins. Seems that this is the hat that registers the achievement.

I really wanna play the original version. Is it available on Mac in any way? I have some access to good enough windows computers but I don't really wanna spend money on something I won't be able to play whenever I want.

demolitio

Light-hearted early game spoilers but contain achievements.

I knew I loved this as soon as I randomly stumbled upon a microwave that I broke and got an achievement for and then ran into the guy in the bathroom asking for toilet paper so I rolled a roll under the door at him and he thanked me and unlocked another achievement for it. Best interactions ever...

MrBig

I really wanna play the original version. Is it available on Mac in any way? I have some access to good enough windows computers but I don't really wanna spend money on something I won't be able to play whenever I want.

It's free and is not based on a version of Source that was ported to Mac.

jediyoshi

Loading up HL1 for a bit, I think my biggest problem with weapons so far are still grenades and satchels. They both had a super predictable arc and practically moved in slow motion. Them being tied to physics in BM makes the way they land too unreliable, especially the satchels just flopping around everywhere if they land on the front side.

jambo

Um, how do I call the air strike on Surface Tension? Shoot and action buttons do nothing once I select the target...

I just used left mouse click for the air strike and it worked first time...

Loading up HL1 for a bit, I think my biggest problem with weapons so far are still grenades and satchels. They both had a super predictable arc and practically moved in slow motion. Them being tied to physics in BM makes the way they land too unreliable, especially the satchels just flopping around everywhere if they land on the front side.

Just pick them up with the e key and throw them around.

jediyoshi

Just pick them up with the e key and throw them around.

Even worse since you have way less throwing range, it relegates the item to being one you have to strictly plan to use as opposed to being able to just throw it at dudes in an emergency. Any distance you let go of them that isn't right off the ground and they roll all over the place. I'd sacrifice the reality of physics to just have satchels that slid into place like they used to.

Alastor

My fights with marines so far look pretty much like this: die, or win with barely any health left. Reload. With known enemy placement, use explosives, finish what's left with revolver and/or shotgun. Done!

I agree it shouldn't be like that. There isn't much that needs tweaking overall, so maybe they'll listen and change the AI for more fun encounters.

leng jai

nope, it's self-executable. you just need to download the Source SDK toolkit 2007 (wich is free also)

if you're scaried by all of this, soon it will available as a simple mod on Steam

Not scared just making sure I don't waste my cap downloading the original game. Thanks.

Surface Tension sucks. The Marines are too accurate, they react too quickly, and the helicopter on the cliffside took 6 rockets and multiple charged shots. Just unfair trial-and-error all over.
Agree on the helicopter. It was annoying to say the least. But I disagree on the Marines. The Marines are special forces trained in CQB battle, you are a freaking scientist. If you can hit them they should definitely be able to hit you.

SparkTR

I'm not having trouble with the difficulty on medium, they give you so much health even if you finish an encounter with <30hp you'll be on max along with shields again in no time. Take out a few marines from long range with the revolver/crossbow before you get in closer and you'll be golden.

DocSeuss

I disagree that marines are exactly like the original. Damage? Sure. Reaction speed? No way. They're so quick to react and insanely accurate over a long distance that it changes the flow of combat. Half-Life marine battles were comfortably played at high speed. You can't really do that here due to how accurate and damaging they are. Instead it plays slower and more exploitive, keeping distance to land precise shots while peeking out of cover. Get too close and you're torn to ribbons in literally a couple of seconds.

There's a lot of little flaws like this in the combat. Both the Vortigaunt and Houndeye charge up times seem significantly decreased, again shaping the combat towards 'quick draw' style gameplay versus proper, up close running and gunning.

It's the one major part of the mod that I feel deviates a little too much from the original *cough* source.

Vortigaunts seem too fast. The marines kinda scare the piss out of me. I ran and hid in a conveyor belt, then jumped out later and re-entered the room, to find all the marines gathered around the conveyor belt, waiting for me to exit.

They seem to be a lot smarter than they were in Half-Life. At another point, one drew my fire while another came behind me and nearly killed me.

They do too much damage, though. I died a lot in that bit where you have to go into a flooded basement to turn on a generator.

xJavonta

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to get controller support at the main menu? Getting off my couch and going to my deskt to load my save isn't fun :p

jediyoshi

Has anyone figured out how to get controller support at the main menu? Getting off my couch and going to my deskt to load my save isn't fun :p

Unfortunately not, they'd have to write up from scratch a menu system themselves that'd support it. Would be nice if somewhere down the line Valve back patched the earlier Source engine games for controller menu support. Or do some kind of feature you toggle while BPM is on to emulate mouse movement with the stick.

Jackpot

Banned
Regarding the Surface Tension chopper boss, there's an easy way to kill it:

far-left of the cave entrance is a little wall made of rock. Hide behind it and you are invulnerable even from rockets.

SLV

DAMN IT ! It is maxing a single core on my i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz, basicaly single core is like 99 % at all times, rest of the cores are like 0-2 %, which makes Black Mesa stutter at times >.<

eot

Banned
DAMN IT ! It is maxing a single core on my i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz, basicaly single core is like 99 % at all times, rest of the cores are like 0-2 %, which makes Black Mesa stutter at times >.<

Try changing the CPU affinity for the process.
http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=12660

Ugh can anyone else not get fast weapon switching to work? I check it in options, then resume game it doesn't work, I check to see if the option is on but its not when I clearly clicked it.

For some reason there are two options for it, one in the main list and then one in a sub-menu (it's a legacy UI think I think). The one in the main menu is the one you actually want to toggle.

There isn't. There was a Mac version made that never got released for various reasons.

Top Bottom