• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
In the middle of "We've Got Hostiles". Those aimbotting motherfucking marines. They are way too ruthless, and I'm only playing on Normal. The damage isn't the issue. It's that I'll barely stick my elbow out and every enemy in the room is filling it with lead immediately. I found a tweak that should hopefully slow their reaction time just a tad.

Thanks for the help guys!

I thought the graphical update made the game quite terrifying and tense..it felt good seeing that blue sky in surface tension, before being bombarded I mean.

eot

Banned
Does anyone share that opinion of the late game? Who's winning in Black Mesa?

I agree to an extent. Some of the scenes leading up to Forget about Freeman are missing and the game doesn't sell the marine extraction quite as well, but there are still plenty of HECU vs aliens scenes. So it's a valid criticism but I think that thread overstates it a little.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This game man. I haven't played HL1 in forever and a day. It's fucking criminal that it holds up so well and a lot of fps don't even begin to have a campaign worth anything nowadays. Everything from the jump puzzles to the "fetch quests", feel like they're actual hurdles, keeping you from escaping, and not like a dev just placed them there for padding.

Right up until you get to the surface, they manage to up the "survival horror" atmosphere even more-so than it was in the original. It also helps that they did away with having a zombie in every corner of everything in the game. I'm not as trained as I was in the og version, so it's easy to let your guard down some.

I really don't know how I feel about the marines. I feel like I fear them for a different reason in this game. In og HL, hiding behind boxes for to long meant certain death at the hands of several grenades tossed at your direction. As the grenades were sailing in the air, they would flank the fuck out of you, so you had to be fast in taking them all out. Here, I've only seen one so far, and the bastard threw it before I even walked in the room. Their aim is fucking gdlk. I've seen a marine pointing at a wall and manage to shave off health, before they turned completely around. That said, the Magnum owns all of their souls and I haven't had to much of a problem yet. Just stay at range. If you get to close to even one, you're gonna die. I'm playing on normal, so it's not bad.

I miss fps built like this, so much. :(

pa22word

You know, it's so funny to be seeing people rage at the soldiers. In a way, this vitriol being spewed at those jackasses (again) brings back more warm nostalgic memories than actually playing the mod itself.

I remember my older brother threatening to smash my N64 pad with a hammer because I threw his new mouse across the hall after dying to them dozens of times back in the day. Shit, it's hard to believe it's been over ten years now -_-;

Also, for new players: learn how to use the .357 (ie lrn2headshot). It will make your live go so much easier in this game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Try turning water settings down to their lowest if you haven't. Reflect All is the highest setting and acts like an angled mirror. The lowest setting is a little ugly and doesn't reflect anything but it's worth it to play through the game!

That's the weird thing, the water settings are all the way down and I'm still getting crashes whenever I'm in rooms that have water. It's pretty annoying and I'm not sure how to get around it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
You know, it's so funny to be seeing people rage at the soldiers. In a way, this vitriol being spewed at those jackasses (again) brings back more warm nostalgic memories than actually playing the mod itself.

I remember my older brother threatening to smash my N64 pad with a hammer because I threw his new mouse across the hall after dying to them dozens of times back in the day. Shit, it's hard to believe it's been over ten years now -_-;

Also, for new players: learn how to use the .357 (ie lrn2headshot). It will make your live go so much easier in this game.

Honestly, this is the best advice. lol. The marines have the best body armor government money can provide.

Razek

Banned
That whole thread (Is BM's Xenian Invasion Sufficiently FUBAR?) makes me hope they'll take a good long look at the game before wrapping it up.

Does anyone share that opinion of the late game? Who's winning in Black Mesa?

I didn't even know what was going on half the time. I should probably read the wiki synopsis but I feel it's going to be 'tainted' by HL2 story crap that I don't care about.

For me though, directly related to what you're saying, I don't get it either. The aliens are very weak in this game. The marines always owned them in any cross battles I came across. The only upper hand the aliens have is the instant teleporting. They didn't sell Xen feeling like it was any kind of real threat. We would just cross level mp5 them all to death (lol). If there ever was a full invasion, I don't see why the scientists wouldn't start mass producing HEV suits. We would be unstoppable then.

Alright I give up, how the hell did everyone download this?

Download the torrent file, then download Utorrent for the program if you don't already have one. Make sure to say no to everything in the installer to avoid malware.

Download the torrent file, then download Utorrent for the program if you don't already have one. Make sure to say no to everything in the installer to avoid malware.

Better to download a pre-uTorrent 3 version from oldversion or something. And never update it.

I'm already on uTorrent 3 something, but the game was downloaded in about 4 minutes. Took half an hour to install though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alright I give up, how the hell did everyone download this?

Torrent

Also I agree that the aliens are not as much of a threat in this retelling both in terms of story presentation and actual gameplay challenge. Remember, though, that the Xen expansion pack will be nothing BUT aliens. We still haven't fought this chick:

C16GonarchsLair004.jpg

Also the Xen Masters in the last room were pretty hard on Hard mode, and Xen is full of them. Throw in some Alien Grunts, Tentacles, and Gargantuas and I think people will come to respect the Source aliens as much as the Source HECU.

wrowa

Better to download a pre-uTorrent 3 version from oldversion or something. And never update it.

I'm already on uTorrent 3 something, but the game was downloaded in about 4 minutes. Took half an hour to install though.

3GB in 4 minutes? Damn, I want your connection.

Danneee

Awesome mod! Some physic bugs aside (and awkward puzzling because of it, boxes in water...) its really well done. I particularly like the dialogue, the Office space conversation as especially nice.
Oh and some slightly confusing level layouts have which have led to some unneeded backtracking, but that might be me gotten used to streamlined fps this gen.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
what's this?

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

If you want to try it, put it at the top of the skill.cfg file. It's found in ...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg.

I found on the Black Mesa forums. It affects all enemies, not just marines. The difference is minute, but it gives you a little more time to duck behind cover before you're dead. You can tweak the numbers if you want. The base values are apparently 0.1 and 0.3, respectively.

EDIT: If you really want to walk through the whole game, put in an obscenely high number. I tested it on some headcrabs (didn't have a save near some marines) and they just minded their own business.

Tehalemi

If you want to try it, put it at the top of the skill.cfg file. It's found in ...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg.

I found on the Black Mesa forums. It affects all enemies, not just marines. The difference is minute, but it gives you a little more time to duck behind cover before you're dead. You can tweak the numbers if you want. The base values are apparently 0.1 and 0.3, respectively.

Interesting, I'll try this thanks.

Also:

Despite little flaws I've found so far, I love this mod! :3

Drencrom

EDIT: If you really want to walk through the whole game, put in an obscenely high number. I tested it on some headcrabs (didn't have a save near some marines) and they just minded their own business.

Thanks man, the marines really started to piss me off on "Power up" with their inhuman reaction time.

Tacitus_

Also the Xen Masters in the last room were pretty hard on Hard mode, and Xen is full of them. Throw in some Alien Grunts, Tentacles, and Gargantuas and I think people will come to respect the Source aliens as much as the Source HECU.

Meh, those things were easy. Since they have unguided projectiles you can actually survive better by playing better. I had way more trouble with the grunts since the fuckers have seeking ammo.

Jintor

I swear vorts used to hit harder back in the original. Or am I just remembering unchained Vorts from HL2 and onwards that could kill pretty much anything in one shot?

gabbo

I swear vorts used to hit harder back in the original. Or am I just remembering unchained Vorts from HL2 and onwards that could kill pretty much anything in one shot?

They used to pack more of a punch on higher difficulty levels, especially if they gang up on you.

Has Valve made any comments on the mod? I have to imagine some employees must have played this by now.

Do they make a habit of commenting on mods?

Xen is terrible, I consider a version without it an improvement.

OP has a bunch of links.

I used the torrent.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with no Xen.

That said, I'm glad they're taking their time with it, as I hope it resembles very little of the original. In fact, the only thing I really care about keeping is Gonarch.

Ocaso

Am i the only one that always loved Xen? All that psychedelic, ethereal and ominous atmosphere... so good.

No, you're not. It's a Zebes-like environment that oozes atmosphere and it gets unfairly maligned presumably because of all the platforming. Here's hoping it's awesome once it does see a release.

(For the record, I also liked the weird alien levels in the Halo trilogy. Bungee knew what they were doing. )

Razek

Banned
Am i the only one that always loved Xen? All that psychedelic, ethereal and ominous atmosphere... so good.

It was my favorite part too. I couldn't figure out the final battle though so that was a strike against it. I feel most people are just tired out by that point of the game and blame it all on Xen. The game is fairly long after all. There are way worse parts in the game. The original 'on a rail' was so boring, long, and tedious. This version is better, but it still was a snooze fest.

dalin80

Banned

hl1 vorts did pack a punch but the trade off is the BMS vorts will find, target, charge up and hit you with sniper accuracy in about 0.015 seconds.

Sibylus

Banned
I definitely have the feeling that the BMS team have tuned the NPCs up so that they themselves and their testers would find it challenging. Probably a bit too much, as it turns out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Residue Processing has aged so badly. It's typical 90's "my first 3D platforming" nonsense.

Top Bottom