• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If I found Elden Ring’s DLC to be at a 9/10 on the difficulty scale, what is this game’s difficulty by comparison?
About a 5/10. The early game is extremely easy with perhaps 1-2 challenging bosses, but they're nothing compared to SOTE bosses. They're closer to decent Dark Souls I bosses.

Chapter 2 is significantly harder and we have one boss I'd say is comparable to a decently challenging Dark Souls III bosses.

Chapter 3 gets harder still and there are a few bosses who are as difficult as tough Dark Souls III bosses.

Chapter 4 is about as hard as Chapter 3 with even more bosses comparable in difficulty to some Dark Souls III bosses.

So far, I'd say the hardest bosses are on the level of high-tier Dark Souls III ones. None comes close to Malenia, Messmer, Rellana, or Promised Consort Radahn. Not only that, but the regular enemies also remain fairly manageable. You don't get bullshit like Fire Knights, Curseblades, or Horned Warriors.

Do keep in mind, some bosses, just like in Souls games, are much harder than the rest. It remains to be seen who you'll find hard as it can very, but the difficulty level can change dramatically between encounters. I'm alright at Souls games and so far, only two bosses have killed me more 5 times and I beat about 70% of them on the first or second attempt.

Last edited:
I had a tough time with Mesmir, or whatever his name was. I think it took me about 20 times, but I did it. I don’t tend to rage. I just have another drink.
I think you will be fine then. You have more base abilities on hand than the average souls build (Unless you played as a mage). You can chain them together to really melt some Bosses. I think Bosses don't hit as hard as the average Elden Ring boss I'm in Chapter 5 and haven't experienced a one hit kill yet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Much more manageable, most bosses i've beated in my first try.
Same here, as most of the "mini-bosses" in this game are essentially just what would be "elites" in other games. Reguar-ish monsters with a health bar at the bottom of the screen, that have a slightly different move-set and more HP.

A couple of bosses in each chapter have killed me several times - but that's the game's way of telling me that I need to pay closer attention to the boss's moves, or to change my build to accommodate something. With the "stage bosses" it means I've likely missed something in a side-quest that negates a big part of it.

The guy at the end of chapter three gave me a bit of trouble, but that one came down to 100% knowing his move patterns and when I could attack. Even then, I think I died fighting him like 8-10 times?

tmlDan

I got to the boss in the end of chapter 4, i believe, and im at the point where im not having fun anymore, the bosses are just annoying now and its not a challenge just a pain to get through.

Never felt like this in souls games, not sure why, but im just bored now

Last edited:

Gaiff

I got to the boss in the end of chapter 4, i believe, and im at the point where im not having fun anymore, the bosses are just annoying now and its not a challenge just a pain to get through.

Never felt like this in souls games, not sure why im just bored now
Me thinks you're not using your toolkit to its full extent. Did you:

Get the Weaver's Needle from the secret area?

Unlock Spellbinder from Chapter 3 (because the final boss can render useless a lot of your abilities).

Use medicines? Stuff like Enhanced Tiger Subduing Pellets, Life Saving Pellets, or Evil Repelling Pellets can make the fights much easier.

Respeced your abilities to deal with the boss? Because if you don't have the Weaver's Needle, he effectively nullifies Immobilize in the last phase.

Unlock Ebon Flow (Yin Tiger), Violet Hail (Daoist Mi), and Yellow Lining (Yellow Loong)? Because at this point in the game, these are by a wide margin the best three transformations.

Unlock Golden Loong Staff that does 108 base damage with shock as a bonus? It amplifies the Pillar Stance considerably and in this fight, it makes a massive difference.

And much much more.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Me thinks you're not using your toolkit to its full extent. Did you:

Get the Weaver's Needle from the secret area?

Unlock Spellbinder from Chapter 3 (because the final boss can render useless a lot of your abilities).

Use medicines? Stuff like Enhanced Tiger Subduing Pellets, Life Saving Pellets, or Evil Repelling Pellets can make the fights much easier.

Respeced your abilities to deal with the boss? Because if you don't have the Weaver's Needle, he effectively nullifies Immobilize in the last phase.

Unlock Ebon Flow (Yin Tiger), Violet Hail (Daoist Mi), and Yellow Lining (Yellow Loong)? Because at this point in the game, these are by a wide margin the best three transformations.

Unlock Golden Loong Staff that does 108 base damage with shock as a bonus? It amplifies the Pillar Stance considerably and in this fight, it makes a massive difference.

And much much more.
this is actually super helpful, you're probably right.

I'll look into these! Thanks :)

Gaiff

this is actually super helpful, you're probably right.

I'll look into these! Thanks :)
Yep. You can go at him normally, but his health pool is ridiculous and you'll likely find yourself out of mana and health sips. Using those other things can make the fight far easier, especially the Life Saving Pellet which restores your health to full and heals any status condition. Only one can be carried at a time, but they can be crafted from common ingredients. There's another one I forgot the name of, but it increases damage, crit damage, crit chance, and damage reduction massively.

It's worth exploring most of the chapter because there are many fun bosses that give great rewards.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget, items can be consumed in the middle of fights. Even gear can be equipped and unequipped while you're fighting I believe. This is useful because you don't have to rely solely on the quick menu for medicines. Just get in a safe spot, press start, and use whatever item you need.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
When a boss starts hitting the ground with it's maces at the rhythm of the music.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Game finally started to click with me last night, for the first time I can say im really enjoying it now.

Had to get my ass demolished about 40 times over the span of 2 days by the white noble, everything since then has been much easier, that fight was like the tutorial of the game for me

Top tier enemy variety, graphics, hit reaction, locations. With some more polish and story execution/delivery this could've been a masterpiece

Last edited:

gatti-man

I am stuck on the Bear and fear this game might just not be for me. At least with Souls likes there is other places to go to grind XP. Even in the earlier games. But it's just a wall whenever you hit a boss you can't beat.
You can go kill stuff where ever and grind XP. It gets easier the further in you go though for sure. There is a spider part in ch4 that’s an XP factory

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man, I haven't seen such terrible, TERRIBLE navigation and level design as in the second and especially the third chapter of this game. I kid you fuckin' not. It's unbelievable that some idiot responsible for all this though that it should be left in the release version of the game as is with not fuckin' map or any kind of visual guidens. There's a lot of the same fuckin' assets everywhere with huge open fields, trees, bushes, rocks etc. and a few levels and it is especially bad and unbearable in the third chapter. I won't effin' believe for a second that none of the testers brought this issue to the dev team, it's in-effin'-possible.

What an incompitent idiots, JFC.

Last edited:
Man, I haven't seen such terrible, TERRIBLE navigation and level design as in the second and especially the third chapter of this game. I kid you fuckin' not. It's unbelievable that some idiot responsible for all this though that it should be left in the release version of the game as is with not fuckin' map or any kind of visual guidens. There's a lot of the same fuckin' assets everywhere with huge open fields, trees, bushes, rocks etc. and a few levels and it is especially bad and unbearable in the third chapter. I won't effin' believe for a second that none of the testers brought this issue to the dev team, it's in-effin'-possible.

Yeah it's not great. It's probably a combination of it being a small studio and there first game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey I think the navigation is fine.

Only downside is the abuse of invisible walls, but aside from that I find navigating and exploring those environments a joy.

About a 5/10. The early game is extremely easy with perhaps 1-2 challenging bosses, but they're nothing compared to SOTE bosses. They're closer to decent Dark Souls I bosses.

Chapter 2 is significantly harder and we have one boss I'd say is comparable to a decently challenging Dark Souls III bosses.

Chapter 3 gets harder still and there are a few bosses who are as difficult as tough Dark Souls III bosses.

Chapter 4 is about as hard as Chapter 3 with even more bosses comparable in difficulty to some Dark Souls III bosses.

So far, I'd say the hardest bosses are on the level of high-tier Dark Souls III ones. None comes close to Malenia, Messmer, Rellana, or Promised Consort Radahn. Not only that, but the regular enemies also remain fairly manageable. You don't get bullshit like Fire Knights, Curseblades, or Horned Warriors.

Do keep in mind, some bosses, just like in Souls games, are much harder than the rest. It remains to be seen who you'll find hard as it can very, but the difficulty level can change dramatically between encounters. I'm alright at Souls games and so far, only two bosses have killed me more 5 times and I beat about 70% of them on the first or second attempt.
Difficulty is always a subjective thing, but I found Yellow Loong to be more difficult than Melenia for example though I haven't played Erdtree as yet

Edit: One thing I will say I really appreciate about this game is that I can make use of pretty much everything I find almost immediately, too many times in Elden Ring, I get a weapon that I just don't have the stats to use

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WTF is this patch and why is it taking a year to finishing installing?

JuaOmmc.jpeg

I started the 1GB download a fucking hour ago. It spent 20 minutes merging over the files. Then it spent another 10 minutes verifying files and now its installing and taking forever.

WTF is the point of having a 7.5 GBps ssd, 5.1 ghz cpu, 1 gig internet if patching games takes well over an hour.

Flabagast

The beginning of chapter 2 is particularly poor on this front, it’s very confusing to know where to go. Overall player guidance through the levels is the main area where the lack of experience of the team transpires.

Does not prevent me from loving the game though, thanks to very strong atmosphere and art direction. And of course the boss design, animation and move set are the strongest point of the game. I am at the middle of chapter 3 right now and legitimately had more fun with several of the boss fights than across the entirety of Elden Ring

TintoConCasera

WTF is this patch and why is it taking a year to finishing installing?

JuaOmmc.jpeg

I started the 1GB download a fucking hour ago. It spent 20 minutes merging over the files. Then it spent another 10 minutes verifying files and now its installing and taking forever.

WTF is the point of having a 7.5 GBps ssd, 5.1 ghz cpu, 1 gig internet if patching games takes well over an hour.
Happened the same to me earlier today, thought the update was busted or something.

Be patient, it'll be done and before the year ends.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hey I think the navigation is fine.

Only downside is the abuse of invisible walls, but aside from that I find navigating and exploring those environments a joy.
It wasn't as bad in the second chapter cuz at least there's some kind of landmarks in the distance etc., but in the late third chapter it's just terrible - a huge snowy forest where you literally can't see shit but trees, rocks and bushes, they're all the same and everything which supposed to guide you visually is hidden under this overload of assets, which makes this even worse - they have this huge mountain in the middle and there's no way for you to see what's at the bottom or the middle cuz everything is covered under the overload of assets. Like, high vantage points are supposed to help you see the environment more clearly, to show you something in the distance, to guide you to places etc. but they did everything they could to make it impossible. It's not that it's hard to know where you need to go, but the exploration suffers a lot cuz of their incompetence you can't tell where have you been already cuz of the very samey looking environment in which you can't see any landmarks or just about anything to guide you to places. The only way you can find something is by going through tons of bushes, rocks and trees only to find out there's a huge ark hidden under all of this visual overload and there's no other way for you to see it at all - it's a constant thing in the late third chapter. Well, if you enjoy such a bad design, more power to you I guess.

The invisible walls are ridiculous as well and they're not even hiding them with anything which could at least make some sense. Like, there was one spot under a bridge and you can't go between pillars while just a few meters back you can - what the hell is this? The plus here is that the game uses UE5 so it only takes one or a few good modders to go through the whole game and remove all of the incompetent design choices.

The beginning of chapter 2 is particularly poor on this front, it’s very confusing to know where to go. Overall player guidance through the levels is the main area where the lack of experience of the team transpires.
Right? Like, I'm 100% confident that they've played all of the From game and even recent God of War games cuz you can clearly see very similar stuff in this game. The thing that buffles me is that none of the From games or even God of War has the same problems when it comes to navigation and exploration. I don't know anything about game development like how to code and stuff, but I'm sure that I don't need to know any of that and still tell how you need to approach level design, visual guidance etc. and based on what I've seen in the game so far, there was no pass on this aspect of the game at all, they just made all these environments, overloaded them with assets and never even bothered to go through them and played the game themselves to see all the flaws (which are glowing and extremely hard to miss) in what they did.

Thank god there's a fox you can transform into to breeze through all the enviromnets like lightning, cuz MC's movement speed is extremely slow even when you dash. Man, there's so much stuff that needs modding in this game cuz otherwise I just can't see myself going through all this again if there's NG+.

Does not prevent me from loving the game though, thanks to very strong atmosphere and art direction. And of course the boss design, animation and move set are the strongest point of the game. I am at the middle of chapter 3 right now and legitimately had more fun with several of the boss fights than across the entirety of Elden Ring
I like Elden Ring bosses and exploration a lot more fun, at least in From games there's an effin' map, exploration and visual guidance are excellent, there's a lot more weapons, skills and moveset variety and you can deal decent damage to bosses instead of tiny pixels like in Wukong even after all of the upgrades and potions and using an absolutely terrible weapon you can possibly imagine for a game like this with needles animations, pointless stances with the same base moveset etc. No matter how good the atmosphere and art is, the bad things in this game are so bad for me, that everything else just pales in comparison.

Like, maybe it's not a 100% perfect analogy, but there's some really good stuff in Rebel Moon I like (the atmosphere, the world, the lore, some cool writing here and there, some character arcs etc.) and there's a lot of potential in it if done right and by the right people, but does it save these movies if like 90% of them are Sci-Fi channel levels of bad in the worst possible way (not to mention pointless nude scenes and other horrible shit at the first movie's intro)? Absolutely not. In fact, when it comes to games, it's even worse cuz you have to interact with it and for a much, much longer than just a couple of hours. I'll say this though, for their first game and some of the shit they managed to get right they should be at least complimented cuz it's impressive and not even all AAA games managed to do stuff they did so well.

Last edited:
Two things I read that there's a patch out for the game but for some reason I am not seeing anything available when I go to launch it, next thing for whatever reason now my game keep crashing when I try to play, anyone have any idea what's going on here? I am playing the steam version btw

Edit: I check and apparently it was updated earlier this morning which means my game is now fucked because of the update

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

No maps :/ I always feel lost in this game.
Yup. I got lost many times. Kinda blame the graphics are too good I can’t see my way .

Also, this game is friggin hard. Like.. seriously hard . It’s kinda pissing me off lol.

lastly, I don’t understand the lore . So I am not familiar with anything and trying to understand but it’s so complicated it makes the Greek mythology look like a child book.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Just finished Chapter 2. Really enjoyed this whole chapter, and I really liked the way the tornado was guiding you to your destination the whole time. Also enjoyed the various secrets in the chapter. The ending was also great, and surprising to see that different animation and the story of it lol.

Onwards to chapter 3 which will be a welcome change of scenery.

JxvRpLu.jpg

uWuJkp8.jpg

G0KUf79.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah the third chapter starts out strong but then it becomes too big towards the end. The forest went on forever. It wasn’t all that fun to explore either. Then you get to the big palace area and it’s even worse. Bigger isn’t always better. I had more fun exploring the more linear first few areas. The chapter opens up with two great boss fights and then it just goes on and on.

The visuals look so fucking good though.

tommib

On chapter 3 and I’ve had my share. It’s too repetitive and the level design is just not there. Had lots of fun for 15 hours. Stop-motion animation at the end of chapter 2 was a high point.

There’s too many graphical glitches on PS5. And don’t get me started with the textures:

TintoConCasera

Done with Chapter 3. Enjoyed it a lot, snowy forests are among my favorite videogame locations and they did it quite well here. Big, mysterious, no music and only the sound of your footsteps on the snow. Very comfy.

Also some great bosses here, loved the different flavors of monks with the one you find in the forest being the highlight of those for me.

Great final boss too, quite easy but I loved the twists and turns during that whole sequence.

Now onto chapter 4.

Gaiff

Chapter 6 really flexes the features of UE5. Remember that fast traversal we saw in the demo way back in 2020? Well, it delivers upon that promise and then some.

That's where the fun stops though. This chapter makes me glad the game isn't open-world. It's huge and insanely boring

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's where the fun stops though. This chapter makes me glad the game isn't open-world. It's huge and insanely boring
Agreed, I felt like chapter 6 was the weakest of all of them, specifically because it's huge and takes forever to get where you're trying to go.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Agreed, I felt like chapter 6 was the weakest of all of them, specifically because it's huge and takes forever to get where you're trying to go.
Yea I think so too
it was weird flying around looking for the next thing to do. The whole stamina and health thing was unique, but overall the bosses weren’t that amazing towards the end.

For 15-20 hours the game really stands out. There’s a lot to explore and the bosses are fun. There comes this point where exploration is just going down a path, items you pick up are lackluster, and the overall variety of combat skills becomes repetitive.

I thought I was going to enjoy the final fight, but I didn’t think it was that fun. I had a lot more fun with the final boss in Dark Souls 3. I was honestly expecting some sorta god at the end.

I want to like it more than I do. Combat is very satisfying, but I got so tired of the huge health bars. NiOh and Dark Souls may have hard enemies, but nothing feels unfair. At times in Wukong, it felt like there was an unnecessary difficulty spike with how long it takes to kill some bosses. I never felt truly prepared for a boss, which has its pros and cons. I love Bloodborne and Elden Ring and there’s more enjoyment to your strategy during boss fights than Wukong.

The last 3 chapters I was kind of over Wukong’s appeal. I didn’t really like grinding for points. I’d much rather have a level up system where I can see stats go up. I like feeling OP rather than a super gymnast. It also doesn’t help that transversing through the levels felt like being inside a glass case. It’s a beautiful game, but it leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The problem with going for the plat in this game are the grindy trophies reliant on RNG (spent 30 mins getting a curio last night but I was listening to Sacred Symbols so it wasn't too bad). I don't like trophies that depend on RNG nonsense, maybe I will slowly chip away at it as I play other games (just started System Shock, still playing Darkest Dungeon 2, Astrobot next week!).

I've been contemplating my overall thoughts on the game now that I've had time to let it marinate. My overall GOTY is still Shadow of the Erdtree, Wukong doesn't even come close (FF VII Rebirth still firmly my number two). FROM's level design, world-building, build diversity, enemy/boss design, sense of adventure/discovery and overall art aesthetic is still head and shoulders above everyone else. Wukong does a lot right though (while being bogged down in other places) and as a debut from this dev what's here is rather remarkable.

The most interesting thing about this game is it's source material and how it adapts it to videogame form. There is *a lot* of narrative here though much of it is told indirectly (another FROM trope), I greedily read through every lore entry. The presentation is spectacular from the cutscenes that open each chapter (ch. 2 my favourite) to the unique animations that close each chapter (hard choice between ch. 2/3). The gorgeous dioramas with fantastic narration are another highlight. The lush animations, unique spells and striking enemy design round out the visual package.

The main issue this game has is it's level design and combat. I've seen lots of posts lamenting the lack of a map (another thing common in Souls-likes) and while I didn't mind it *too* much the fact is the level design isn't intuitive/interesting enough to justify it's absence and Wukong would have been better served copying GoW 2018/Ragnarok where it should have (both those games I consider far superior overall but I digress). Vast, confusing forests in ch. 3 were particularly egregious, ch. 6 does something cool but the world to explore is mostly empty and boring. It doesn't help that your running speed is slow relative to how much you need to backtrack and slows down even further on inclines (this isn't RDR2, I don't need that kind of realism in a game like this).

Now the combat. I actually enjoy the combat feel and the tools the game gives you. I also admire the originality of some of the spells, Ring of Fire is a prime example of taking a unique twist to what might be expected (especially after upgrading it). The fundamental issue is the *main* way you'll be engaging enemies which is with your staff. Yes it has 3 stances, yes it feels fun to use but after about 25 hours it just started feeling repetitive. Transformations thankfully can help break of the monotony (and are super cool to boot) but I wonder if we *do* get a sequel how much freedom the dev has to implement different weapon types vis a vis staying true to the source material, I don't know enough about Journey to the West to weigh in myself.

Otherwise I LOVED the many boss battles and enemy types to engage with. Countless games suffer from the issue of enemy variety, no such problem here. On the contrary, the sheer variety of enemy types and boss encounters is kind of bananas, devs deserve all the praise in the world for going all out here. Some of these bosses had me smiling ear-to-ear, discovering unique item mechanics for specific battles (another Souls staple) was satisfying. The NPC's likewise were universally great, the English VO surprisingly on par with anything FROM has done, pig homie might be my favourite character of the year.

In conclusion I loved my time with Wukong, against all odds it delivered the goods defying the vaporware expectations. Comparing it to another game that had a lot of hype around it and has some similarities in Stellar Blade I prefer Wukong (though I loved SB too). Rise of the Ronin has superior combat but as a whole I prefer Wukong once again. I've played a whole bunch of games this year but as of right now I *think* I have Wukong as my number 3, I'm impressed by what they gave us despite the criticisms I have, can't imagine where they will go from here, the future is bright! Praise the Monkey 🐒 🐒 🐒

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Finally done with unholy and dreadful abomination level design-wise which is late Chapter 3 before the last tample area. Getting into a lush green and way better designed location at the beginning of Chapter 4 feels like a breath of fresh air, after getting out of the 1000 yo sewer or an abandoned, flooded and rotten USSR bunker.

pWYfHPW.jpeg

GymWolf

Gold Member
On chapter 3 and I’ve had my share. It’s too repetitive and the level design is just not there. Had lots of fun for 15 hours. Stop-motion animation at the end of chapter 2 was a high point.

There’s too many graphical glitches on PS5. And don’t get me started with the textures:

The textures are not a ps5 problem, the pc version is also uneven in some locations.

But it's probably worse on console i imagine.

tommib

The textures are not a ps5 problem, the pc version is also uneven in some locations.

But it's probably worse on console i imagine.
It’s super distracting. It’s not like these textures are hiding. They’re in plain sight and brings the presentation tremendously down.

It’s odd that so many games get shit on because of texture problems but Wukong gets a free pass and everyone side whistles.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s super distracting. It’s not like these textures are hiding. They’re in plain sight and brings the presentation tremendously down.

It’s odd that so many games get shit on because of texture problems but Wukong gets a free pass and everyone side whistles.
Dude i know, i'm super susceptible to uneven textures so i suffer in 99,99% of games.

I think wukong is still more even than many games so that's why people don't shit too much on it, at least on pc.

Last edited:
The problem with going for the plat in this game are the grindy trophies reliant on RNG (spent 30 mins getting a curio last night but I was listening to Sacred Symbols so it wasn't too bad). I don't like trophies that depend on RNG nonsense, maybe I will slowly chip away at it as I play other games (just started System Shock, still playing Darkest Dungeon 2, Astrobot next week!).

I've been contemplating my overall thoughts on the game now that I've had time to let it marinate. My overall GOTY is still Shadow of the Erdtree, Wukong doesn't even come close (FF VII Rebirth still firmly my number two). FROM's level design, world-building, build diversity, enemy/boss design, sense of adventure/discovery and overall art aesthetic is still head and shoulders above everyone else. Wukong does a lot right though (while being bogged down in other places) and as a debut from this dev what's here is rather remarkable.

The most interesting thing about this game is it's source material and how it adapts it to videogame form. There is *a lot* of narrative here though much of it is told indirectly (another FROM trope), I greedily read through every lore entry. The presentation is spectacular from the cutscenes that open each chapter (ch. 2 my favourite) to the unique animations that close each chapter (hard choice between ch. 2/3). The gorgeous dioramas with fantastic narration are another highlight. The lush animations, unique spells and striking enemy design round out the visual package.

The main issue this game has is it's level design and combat. I've seen lots of posts lamenting the lack of a map (another thing common in Souls-likes) and while I didn't mind it *too* much the fact is the level design isn't intuitive/interesting enough to justify it's absence and Wukong would have been better served copying GoW 2018/Ragnarok where it should have (both those games I consider far superior overall but I digress). Vast, confusing forests in ch. 3 were particularly egregious, ch. 6 does something cool but the world to explore is mostly empty and boring. It doesn't help that your running speed is slow relative to how much you need to backtrack and slows down even further on inclines (this isn't RDR2, I don't need that kind of realism in a game like this).

Now the combat. I actually enjoy the combat feel and the tools the game gives you. I also admire the originality of some of the spells, Ring of Fire is a prime example of taking a unique twist to what might be expected (especially after upgrading it). The fundamental issue is the *main* way you'll be engaging enemies which is with your staff. Yes it has 3 stances, yes it feels fun to use but after about 25 hours it just started feeling repetitive. Transformations thankfully can help break of the monotony (and are super cool to boot) but I wonder if we *do* get a sequel how much freedom the dev has to implement different weapon types vis a vis staying true to the source material, I don't know enough about Journey to the West to weigh in myself.

Otherwise I LOVED the many boss battles and enemy types to engage with. Countless games suffer from the issue of enemy variety, no such problem here. On the contrary, the sheer variety of enemy types and boss encounters is kind of bananas, devs deserve all the praise in the world for going all out here. Some of these bosses had me smiling ear-to-ear, discovering unique item mechanics for specific battles (another Souls staple) was satisfying. The NPC's likewise were universally great, the English VO surprisingly on par with anything FROM has done, pig homie might be my favourite character of the year.

In conclusion I loved my time with Wukong, against all odds it delivered the goods defying the vaporware expectations. Comparing it to another game that had a lot of hype around it and has some similarities in Stellar Blade I prefer Wukong (though I loved SB too). Rise of the Ronin has superior combat but as a whole I prefer Wukong once again. I've played a whole bunch of games this year but as of right now I *think* I have Wukong as my number 3, I'm impressed by what they gave us despite the criticisms I have, can't imagine where they will go from here, the future is bright! Praise the Monkey 🐒 🐒 🐒
Great post basically agree with everything. I would add the combat suffers by only having dodge as a primary evasion. Having all your other abilities on Timers doesn't help either.

I miss God of wars rythm of dodge, parry, block, guard break, axe throw etc.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Good points.

I only disagree with SOTE. The bosses in that DLC are so obnoxiously poorly designed that it made me hate the game. I couldn’t even have fun because after every boss, all I could think about was how much bullshit there would be in the next fight. Probably my fault for insisting to do it solo. I hate hate that DLC you have no idea how much. Those bosses are From at their absolute worst. They let their games’ reputation for being hard cloud their judgement and went full stupid with them.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think boss quality is that much inferior compared to the average souls game.

They are generally easier or mechanically inferior (ER also has a lot of shit, easy, throw away bosses, it's not all quality all the time, let's be real), but art design wise or just how good it feels to fight them, i'm really loving the bosses in wukong.

Maybe it's recency bias.

Top Bottom