• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
"Next life" is a play on the reincarnation themes in Wukong/Buddhism but looks like you're too dumb to pick up on it (NOW I'm being insulting). I don't care about winning, I care about facts, now move on.

denzel washington cringe GIF

cringe

That probably sounded cooler in your head than it ended up being in a reply

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Enjoying the game a lot but man, wish I knew more about the lore. Lots of stuff happening and cool characters showing up but I feel like I'm missing a lot here.

"Next life" is a play on the reincarnation themes in Wukong/Buddhism but looks like you're too dumb to pick up on it (NOW I'm being insulting). I don't care about winning, I care about facts, now move on.
You sound like an asshole dude, chill.

Hanging Hang Out GIF by BBC America

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nah, it was lol. Adapted a lot of Souls things that weren't in the other games.

>Checkpoint and respawn system that resurrects the enemies
>You also lose xp upon death and can only retrieve it by recovering your lost souls aka bloodstain
>Much harder combat
>New and far more difficult and punishing counter mechanic
>Limited healing with a long animation that can be interrupted, unlike 1 and 2 which had instant healing that couldn't be stopped
>Level design that moved away from the Zelda-like conventions of the previous games and went more Metroidvania style

It has every single aspect of a Soulslike. I don’t know how you played it and concluded it isn’t one when it ticks all the boxes. I bought it day 1 and my thoughts within 2 hours of play was that it was an awful Souls clone. Even the Wikipedia page for Soulslike list Darksiders 3.
Sometimes a game is more of the sum of its parts i guess.

It's been a long time since i played the game so i don't remember the details but it never felt like a proper souls clone in the way fallen, surge, mortal shell etc. felt.

It always felt like a more like a 3d metroidvania like you said, and i rarely associate with soulslike, even if it had soulslike stuff in it.

I remember the game having puzzles and i don't remember classic puzzles in soulslikes.

I could be wrong on this one but we return to the wukong discussion, sometimes a game just doesn't feel like a soulslike even if it has elements of the soulslikes for some people, even small things like the combat rythm, the controls, the clunkiness or lack of it etc.

Like i played fallen way before ds3 and i clearly remember that one feeling like a poor soulslike but i don't remember feeling the same for ds3.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sometimes a game is more of the sum of its parts i guess.

It's been a long time since i played the game so i don't remember the details but it never felt like a proper souls clone in the way fallen, surge, mortal shell etc. felt.

It always felt like a more like a 3d metroidvania like you said, and i rarely associate with soulslike, even if it had soulslike stuff in it.

I remember the game having puzzles and i don't remember classic puzzles in soulslikes.

I could be wrong on this one but we return to the wukong discussion, sometimes a game just doesn't feel like a soulslike even if it has elements of the soulslikes for some people, even small things like the combat rythm, the controls, the clunkiness or lack of it etc.

Like i played fallen way before ds3 and i clearly remember that one feeling like a poor soulslike but i don't remember feeling the same for ds3.
Honestly, I just hope they eschew those elements in Darksiders 4. I don't think they lend themselves well to the series' gameplay, which had always been more of a mix between GOW and Zelda prior to that. 2 added RPG elements that were hit or miss, but I still like it far more than 3.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Enjoying the game a lot but man, wish I knew more about the lore. Lots of stuff happening and cool characters showing up but I feel like I'm missing a lot here.

You sound like an asshole dude, chill.

Hanging Hang Out GIF by BBC America
Yeah, not knowing the lore is super bad on this game, i'm missing a lot.

But i also don't believe people that say "watch this 10 min recap and you are gonna know everything" because the amount of lore, names, etc. Is staggering and no amount of 15 min recap is gonna make me remember all this stuff i think.

But i'm still 10x times more engaged by wukong than by any read the objects description then watch a vatyvidia recap type of plots of any fromsoft game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Honestly, I just hope they eschew those elements in Darksiders 4. I don't think they lend themselves well to the series' gameplay, which had always been more of a mix between GOW and Zelda prior to that. 2 added RPG elements that were hit or miss, but I still like it far more than 3.
All 4 games have different philosophies so i have no idea what they are gonna do with ds5

First one was a 3d zelda with better\more combat
Second one was an open world with quais-dmc pcombat and diablo loot but still had zelda dungeons and puzzles
Third one was more soulslike
4th one was a coop isometric umm...dungeon crawler?!

Maybe ds5 is gonna be a racing game with sim city elements and a first person view :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I liked all 4 games (not at in the same way of course, 1 and 2 are the best) so i'm kinda ok with whatever they do.

Last edited:

Gaiff

All 4 games have different philosophies so i have no idea what they are gonna do with ds5

First one was a 3d zelda with better\more combat
Second one was an open world with quais-dmc pcombat and diablo loot but still had zelda dungeons and puzzles
Third one was more soulslike
4th one was a coop isometric umm...dungeon crawler?!

Maybe ds5 is gonna be a racing game with sim city elements and a first person view :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I liked all 4 games (not at in the same way of course, 1 and 2 are the best) so i'm kinda ok with whatever they do.
The way they had planned it was to have one horseman star in each game. If Strife is indeed the main character in 4, then they'll have no choice but to rely heavily on 3rd-person shooter elements. Something akin to Evil West perhaps? Over-the-shoulder camera with different guns but still a lot of melee combat. That could work out pretty nicely if they take inspiration from the modern GOW and RE4/5.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ch 4 Fought
buddha hand and spider granny. Now I am working my way to another boss on top the level.

Sometimes I wish they’d let me fall off a ledge instead of run into an invisible wall.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

I'm pretty jealous of anyone got the collector edition. I normally don't buy collector edition because figure quality usually not good. But Wukong figure looks really nice.

It reportedly sold out in seconds as soon as it was announced. They saved some to influences like Kojima to promote the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The way they had planned it was to have one horseman star in each game. If Strife is indeed the main character in 4, then they'll have no choice but to rely heavily on 3rd-person shooter elements. Something akin to Evil West perhaps? Over-the-shoulder camera with different guns but still a lot of melee combat. That could work out pretty nicely if they take inspiration from the modern GOW and RE4/5.
They already used strife in ds4 so they are free to use whoever they want i think.

Gaiff

They already used strife in ds4 so they are free to use whoever they want i think.
I did say main character though. Strife and War co-star in Genesis. It's not Strife's full story. If it's considered his game, then the next game will be the one with all four as playable characters because this was to be the culmination of the franchise's story. I personally hope we got one game where we play solely as Strife, but the series may not have the popularity two justify to extra entries.

Still, they said 3 was profitable within weeks of release, so here's hoping they got enough juice for another two.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I did say main character though. Strife and War co-star in Genesis. It's not Strife's full story. If it's considered his game, then the next game will be the one with all four as playable characters because this was to be the culmination of the franchise's story. I personally hope we got one game where we play solely as Strife, but the series may not have the popularity to justify to extra entries.

Still, they said 3 was profitable within weeks of release, so here's hoping they got enough juice for another two.
At this point i don't think they care about the original plans.

I bet they are gonna use war or death because they are the more beloved characters.

(I liked the chick a lot tbh).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, the Dragon fight on the frozen lake was so cool. Really fucking hard to hit the fucking thing, but I loved the spectacle of it all. Sometimes you just need a cool setpiece moment.

The section afterwards sucked ass though. I died so many times by being thrown off ledges by bats coming out of nowhere. We went from GOW style bosses to souls level design in a span of a few minutes and it completely killed the high i was experiencing. i am so done with the souls formula lol

Gaiff

Man, the Dragon fight on the frozen lake was so cool. Really fucking hard to hit the fucking thing, but I loved the spectacle of it all. Sometimes you just need a cool setpiece moment.

The section afterwards sucked ass though. I died so many times by being thrown off ledges by bats coming out of nowhere. We went from GOW style bosses to souls level design in a span of a few minutes and it completely killed the high i was experiencing. i am so done with the souls formula lol
This area isn't very long, thankfully.

Surprised at how often people die there lol. Those bats give an audio cue when they're nearby. You hear them laugh/cackle. I only died once to falling form a ledge because I whiffed the finishing blow on one of those fuckers.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Setpiece-gimmick fight against gigantic creatures= actual shit fight mechanically

Wukong dragon boss proved this once more, thank fucking god that gow cutted that bullshit to have mostly humanoid sized boss fights, fuck the setpieces if they are in the way of good combat mechanics.

I guess that it's ok to have 1 or 2 in a game with a lot of bosses, but it should never be the norm.

Last edited:
Done! Overall pretty good game. The level design was a bit disappointing. Fuck Pagoda Realm.
I guess I missed some secret end boss judging by the comments here, but that's what NG+ is for!

To be fair to ER, it's a cross-gen game.
Yes, Wukong seems to be way easier. Didn't count them, but it feels like bosses have more moves, but they don't hurt as much for the most part. ER is slower with chunkier damage. I prefer it tbh. Completed SotE 6 or 7 times, I don't see myself doing the same with Wukong.
Well I'm happy for you. Unfortunately for me I really started to get Souls Fatigue towards the end of Elden Ring. I doubt I will ever play Shadow of the Erdtree but who knows.

Setpiece-gimmick fight against gigantic creatures= actual shit fight mechanically

Wukong dragon boss proved this once more, thank fucking god that gow cutted that bullshit to have mostly humanoid sized boss fights, fuck the setpieces if they are in the way of good combat mechanics.

I guess that it's ok to have 1 or 2 in a game with a lot of bosses, but it should never be the norm.
Which fights are you talking about?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well I'm happy for you. Unfortunately for me I really started to get Souls Fatigue towards the end of Elden Ring. I doubt I will ever play Shadow of the Erdtree but who knows.
Same.

I'm absolutely burn out by fromsoft soulslikes, i didn't had this problem with lies of p or wukong.

It's not on them of course, sometimes i get burned by yakuza games even if i love the saga.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Which fights are you talking about?
Big ass dragon on frost lake.

Some people always wanted more setpieces and big ass monsters in the past 2 gow, but unfortunately, big ass setpieces boss are usually dogshit mechanically, that's why i love the new gows, less shit fights, more humanoid good fights.

Monster hunter is the only one that manage to have big ass monsters fights that feels good mechanically, but let's be honest, mh combat system is a thing by itself and different from anything else.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Cloud step saved my ass in that area, especially on that little bridge.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dang so many people burned by souls. Which sounds crazy to me unless you’re a couple hundred hours in. I’ve clocked 200 hours in Elden Ring + DLC and i can’t wait to see the next game from them.

But jfc you also realize this and Team Ninja are basically from the life stream of the souls games.

Again, there’s nothing wrong with fatigue or having a different opinion. I totally get it, but I also realize that’s why we take breaks. This is just a general observation. Like, you bought Wukong knowing it came from the same family of games.

I would say I love this genre, but I’m looking forward to something like Visions of Mana after this.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Chapter 2 felt to me that the UE5 initial demo promise was finally realized. So gorgeous
Except it's not as even texture wise, a lot of questionable textures here and there.

But yeah, except for the hb2 tech demo, this is the game that get closer to the demo.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The first chapter took 20 mins on NG+. Melt. My PS5 clock reads 55hrs so I spent a good amount of time on my first playthrough. Only missed one journal entry.

Same.

I'm absolutely burn out by fromsoft soulslikes, i didn't had this problem with lies of p or wukong.

It's not on them of course, sometimes i get burned by yakuza games even if i love the saga.
Yeah both Lies of P and Black myth have additional mechanics and amazing art direction that make them interesting.

I'm done with how From handles difficulty at this point. Massive damage and relentless attacks make for a very tedious learning experience.

Gaiff

Except it's not as even texture wise, a lot of questionable textures here and there.

But yeah, except for the hb2 tech demo, this is the game that get closer to the demo.
Yeah, Chapter 2 and 3 are very bad with textures. I'm not sure if it's a bug but a lot of textures seem not to even load like in FF.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, Chapter 2 and 3 are very bad with textures. I'm not sure if it's a bug but a lot of textures seem not to even load like in FF.
I thought it was a me problem with textures not loading, but when i said this in another topic a dude immediately quoted me to tell me that i was right, so it's definitely not my pc.

It's even more jarring because sometimes you have big rocks formations that have like 3 different tiers of texture quality

Almost ue5 tier
Ps4 tier
Ps3 tier

And like hb2, robocop and any other ue5 game, the more you get close, the more the whole facade crumbles, if memory serve me well, the ue5 demo mainteined the granular detail even when zoomed in ( i could be wrong, it has been a while).

We are still far from hb2 in a massive game with actual stuff going on, maybe on ps6.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah both Lies of P and Black myth have additional mechanics and amazing art direction that make them interesting.

I'm done with how From handles difficulty at this point. Massive damage and relentless attacks make for a very tedious learning experience.
For me it's more abstract, it's not about the challenge, i like hard games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If I found Elden Ring’s DLC to be at a 9/10 on the difficulty scale, what is this game’s difficulty by comparison?
I haven't played the dlc but wukong is around 5-6, some bosses are 7, very rare bosses are like 8,5.

It also depend what build you use, some people said that building around clones or cloud step make the game far easier, but it doesn't sound fun at all to play like that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If I found Elden Ring’s DLC to be at a 9/10 on the difficulty scale, what is this game’s difficulty by comparison?
Starts off piss easy, then the difficulty curve keeps going higher and higher but at a slow pace.

Last edited:

Sentenza

All over the place. I've heard/read people claiming they find this game way easier and others saying the difficulty is bullshit and they already uninstalled it.
I personally find some of the toughest bosses I faced here (i.e. Yellow Loong, Erlong) way thougher than anything I've ever faced in a FROM Soft game and they took me more attempts to move past.

Like, I was never stuck on Malenia for as long as I've been on Erlong.
I've also beaten a lot of bosses at my first try... But then again the same was true for more than half of the bosses in Elden Ring?

Last edited:
Dang so many people burned by souls. Which sounds crazy to me unless you’re a couple hundred hours in. I’ve clocked 200 hours in Elden Ring + DLC and i can’t wait to see the next game from them.

But jfc you also realize this and Team Ninja are basically from the life stream of the souls games.

Again, there’s nothing wrong with fatigue or having a different opinion. I totally get it, but I also realize that’s why we take breaks. This is just a general observation. Like, you bought Wukong knowing it came from the same family of games.

I would say I love this genre, but I’m looking forward to something like Visions of Mana after this.
I still really appreciate some design philosophys souls made popular like

- bonfires
- inter connected level design
- challenging difficulty.

Black myth has all 3 of these but it also has a bunch of cool unique stuff as well. I'am tired personally of FROM games themselves and I guess the outright clones.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Thanks for the responses fellas. Just curious what I’m in for. I really did buy the game on an impulse. Just felt like be a part of the initial launch sales and support AAA Chinese game development.

I plan to start as soon as I’m done with Hogwarts Legacy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for the responses fellas. Just curious what I’m in for. I really did buy the game on an impulse. Just felt like be a part of the initial launch sales and support AAA Chinese game development.

I plan to start as soon as I’m done with Hogwarts Legacy.
Ah, the ol' Resetera rage whirlwind speedrun, any%

GymWolf

Gold Member
I still really appreciate some design philosophys souls made popular like

- bonfires
- inter connected level design
- challenging difficulty.

Black myth has all 3 of these but it also has a bunch of cool unique stuff as well. I'am tired personally of FROM games themselves and I guess the outright clones.
The last 2 are not somethng that soulsgames invented, interconnected level design and challenging games always existed.
Pretty sure that even bonfire not called bonfire are nothing new.

Mixing pre-existent things is what souls do well, with great art design and a stamina system that make everything harder.

It's like what zelda botw did, it didn't invented jack shit but it mixed stuff from various game with good results.

The last 2 are not somethng that soulsgames invented, interconnected level design and challenging games always existed.
Pretty sure that even bonfire not called bonfire are nothing new.

Mixing pre-existent things is what souls do well, with great art design and a stamina system that make everything harder.

It's like what zelda botw did, it didn't invented jack shit but it mixed stuff from various game with good results.
No they definitely didn't. I think they did make those things popular again when everything was either super linear or bloated open world.

OG resident evil was the original soulslike for me! Typewriters work similar to bonfires and the levels are certainly very interconnected. Not that difficult though.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No they definitely didn't. I think they did make those things popular again when everything was either super linear or bloated open world.

OG resident evil was the original soulslike for me! Typewriters work similar to bonfires and the levels are certainly very interconnected. Not that difficult though.
I can't say that i feel the same about re being the first souls tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Evergrace was the first real souls game:messenger_tears_of_joy:

How many attempts at Bosses can you tolerate before you start to rage!?

The most I've personally died in this game is about 10 to 20 times. Which for me is not too bad lol. Some Bosses in other games have taken me about 50 to 150 attempts.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How many attempts at Bosses can you tolerate before you start to rage!?

The most I've personally died in this game is about 10 to 20 times. Which for me is not too bad lol. Some Bosses in other games have taken me about 50 to 150 attempts.
I had a tough time with Mesmir, or whatever his name was. I think it took me about 20 times, but I did it. I don’t tend to rage. I just have another drink.

Top Bottom