• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

The comparison is about how these corporates thinks what gamers want against what we actually want. Target audience is 1:100000 it seems then.
This doesn't make sense to me because considering how popular shit like fortnite and more recently Helldivers is clear gamers also wants those kinda games, this concord thing just seems like it couldn't find an audience and that happens to a lot of single player games as well, I see not point in drawing up some kinda comparison other than to do a victory lap about a game you don't like for whatever reason failing, which is some weirdo behavior.

Flabagast

The Tiger Vanguard / Yellow Wind Sage back to back is so so amazing. Both boss fights are insane, what the fuck is the mega bug it invokes from the desert all of a sudden ? I was screaming at my screen

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Had to look up a guide in order to find the Loong Scales in chapter 2, now way I would have figured that on my own.

Aside from that I'm still in chapter 3. Pretty cool, game's ramping up the kino.

SkylineRKR

I love chapter 3. The Pagoda is probably its weakest part but my favourite boss so far is the required one on the turtle island. This boss design, moves, setting.. I enjoyed this one a lot. I beat the other immediately after. Well, after 5 or so losses that is. I didn't bother using the Galeguard set for both, but it probably helps.

powder

Neo Member
it's impossible to find it in game ? is there any in game clue ?
Follow the drunk boar's side quest. The one you talked to in the very back of the level. If you can't find him after talking to him in his original location – go search the Crouching Tiger Temple again…

Flabagast

Follow the drunk boar's side quest. The one you talked to in the very back of the level. If you can't find him after talking to him in his original location – go search the Crouching Tiger Temple again…
Yes I have talked to him in the temple after he ate the rotten rats, but dont know what to do next. He mentions a golden coin but not location where to go to

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Such a beautiful game. Sorry about the fps counter. Just crop it out yourselves.

yk1oWIH.jpeg

vqOP8wK.jpeg
4UvIkhT.jpeg
sVafC4g.jpeg
TKU7rR5.jpeg

powder

Neo Member
Yes I have talked to him in the temple after he ate the rotten rats, but dont know what to do next. He mentions a golden coin but not location where to go to
If I remember correctly, he'll be waiting back near his original location but closer to the giant door that's cracked open…

Gaiff

I don’t like that certain abilities get nerfed when you upgrade them.

For instance, Immobilize’s last skill increases the duration at the expense of more mana.

Rock Solid’s last skill recovers mana upon a successful execution but the deflection window is narrowed.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
And here it is, final boss, first attempt, no guides, 18 minutes of combat bliss, I'm that dude (honestly could have been a lot cleaner lol). Spoilers obviously:

Found the secret endgame boss too, that's a tougher battle, will beat it before starting NG+ though.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Chapter 3. Finished it, but some regular enemies are annoying as hell.

Blind Monks: Thankfully, they're blind and you can just kite them with thrust attacks. Now, they're not problem.

Double chakram monk: Annoying as shit. Lots of health, quick and deadly combos that last forever. Rock Solid and Immobilize for them.

Vulture Tengu: My most hated enemy. They annoy you with their giant fans and frost attacks, and they always seem to come with other enemies.

Tentacle Yaksha: This guy is just insanely tanky and often moves right in the middle of your combos.

I had to make more frequent use of my spells. I hate wasting mana on trash mobs, but a lot of these enemies give you no choice.

Did a good chunk of Chapter 4 and I'd say it's easier than 3 so far.
Yeah once I used healing circle it made everything trivial try that.

gatti-man

I love chapter 3. The Pagoda is probably its weakest part but my favourite boss so far is the required one on the turtle island. This boss design, moves, setting.. I enjoyed this one a lot. I beat the other immediately after. Well, after 5 or so losses that is. I didn't bother using the Galeguard set for both, but it probably helps.
The optional one in turtle island was the only boss I had to come back to. Wrecked my shit over and over

FeastYoEyes

I am stuck on the Bear and fear this game might just not be for me. At least with Souls likes there is other places to go to grind XP. Even in the earlier games. But it's just a wall whenever you hit a boss you can't beat.

Gaiff

I am stuck on the Bear and fear this game might just not be for me. At least with Souls likes there is other places to go to grind XP. Even in the earlier games. But it's just a wall whenever you hit a boss you can't beat.
Black Bear Guai? Last boss of Chapter 1? Do you use the Fireproof Mantle? It makes you immune to fire damage for a while. Very useful against him.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
go do the side quests in chapter 1 and you will get an item you can use against the bear to negate burn damage.

you are talking about the first chapter boss, right?

hes super easy and i beat him without that item. you dont have to grind since you can respec at any point. just put everything into health.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I heard this wasn't a Souls-like. What constitutes a Souls-like? Because it sure feels like one to me.

Also, what is up with the invisible walls in this game? They are everywhere and often at places it totally looks like you should be able to go.

It has souls like elements but it isnt souls like. The game has been a breeze for me, meanwhile i had a lot of trouble with Elden Ring and Shadow of Erdtree

I loved that boss, he pushed my shit in so many times it forced me to get better at the game

Your build is probably unoptimized. Watch some early build help on youtube

Last edited:

Jesb

I wanna play this but I’m not really big on boss fights and there’s many so maybe it wouldn’t be fun.

It has souls like elements but it isnt souls like. The game has been a breeze for me, meanwhile i had a lot of trouble with Elden Ring and Shadow of Erdtree

Your build is probably unoptimized. Watch some early build help on youtube
Thanks but naw I don't like looking up builds for games I'm currently in the process of playing

Gaiff

Annoyed by gimmick boss fights that nerf the fuck out of the player. 2 in Chapter 4 in particular. The first one has you fighting in sticky mud so your dodge is practically useless. The other one slows you down to a crawl the last part of the boss fight.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Just got off the turtle island in ch3 and wow, this game keeps impressing me. Ch3 looks to be massive. Cyan Loong wiped the floor with me with his ultimate, I can't quite seem to time it. Maybe I just need to go into cloud step for that?

The story boss before was just incredible.

SkylineRKR

Just got off the turtle island in ch3 and wow, this game keeps impressing me. Ch3 looks to be massive. Cyan Loong wiped the floor with me with his ultimate, I can't quite seem to time it. Maybe I just need to go into cloud step for that?

The story boss before was just incredible.

Once you figure him out he's not that hard really. He does hit considerably harder than the mandatory boss so perhaps he was meant for later.

Most of the time you can make him do the flying slash into dive slash. These are very easy to evade and the latter is punishable. If you combo him in his back, he will do a tail swipe before your light attack ends, i rolled to his front and finished the combo each time. From the front eventually he raises his fist and do a ground spark, you can do a variable combo at this time and not get hit but it seems to be risky (perhaps thrust is completely safe). Or roll out.

Rarely he does a 2 or 3 hit sword combo which isn't hard to evade and his electric sword power up is easily telegraphed.

He doesn't have long combos in general, and he stands idle a lot.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Now that I've completed the game I'm looking up stuff I missed, pretty amazing that I found *most* of the secrets and funny the one's I didn't. Early example, I had all the Buddha Eyes, completely ran past the point you're supposed to use them, this ties into larger quest line that I was this unable to complete. Also, never noticed a certain something in the garden, kept wondering what happened with that item I gave lol.

Man, I will continue to say. This game fucking rocks but the lack of a map is absolutely killing me. Makes it so fucking annoying to try and backtrack/explore other areas. Never have any idea if I'm going on the "actual" route or secondary areas. I really have no other complaints, I even feel the performance issues are way overblown, but for the love of God, if there is a sequel, a map needs to be a requirement.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Secret endgame boss down, that was EPIC THIS is where the game channels God of War, otherwise it's 80% Souls/20% GoW ! Now I'm ready to move on to NG+, this monkey don't stop 🐒🐒🐒

GymWolf

Gold Member
The Tiger Vanguard / Yellow Wind Sage back to back is so so amazing. Both boss fights are insane, what the fuck is the mega bug it invokes from the desert all of a sudden ? I was screaming at my screen
The huge bug is
another secret boss you fight in that chap.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Seems like they nerfed Wise-Voice with the latest patch. Fine by me, he's challenging but honestly not that fun to fight against anyway.

TintoConCasera

I found that other laser guy harder. Much weaker, but harder to actually hit. Probably the 2 bottom tier bosses.
Yeah, that area overall can just go fuck itself, worst section in the game so far.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Gotcha just ego and arrogance but no humility.

Humility doesn't enter the equation, you decided to quote me and be insulting, not the other way around.

Now, it's already been outlined why the game is more like Souls, not going to repeat myself (and I doubt you've even played much Souls making your thoughts on the matter irrelevant). Let's take ourselves out of the debate though, perhaps the best way to gauge it is through the many people who posted in this thread saying "I picked up this game thinking/hearing it's similar to GoW when it's actually more like Souls which I'm not into". Nothing more to say, seems to me *you're* the one with the trouble admitting you're wrong, it's OK, perhaps in your next life.

Gaiff

The game adopts A LOT of conventions from Souls games for sure. What’s interesting is that Souls games don’t have tons of unique or innovative single mechanics. It’s the combination of them all that was unique and groundbreaking.

Gaiff

Who gives a fuck if for some people feels more like a souls and for some people feel more like new gow?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just be happy that the game is good.
There have been so many awful Souls copycats that many of us want to avoid them. LOTF (the original), Darksiders 3, Mortal Shell, Thymessia (or however it’s spelled) and the list goes on.

I find this game to be fantastic and in many ways, I prefer it to Souls games. Mainly due to the setting, art, and inspiration. I just don’t get excited for dark medieval fantasy with dragons and knights in a bleak and desolate world. I also enjoy the much higher production values that make Elden Ring look like an indie game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Darksiders 3 wasn't a souls clone and the game was pretty decent, hard disagree on that one, you could have listed 50 games before ds3 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Who gives a fuck if for some people feels more like a souls and for some people feel more like new gow?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just be happy that the game is good.

Apparently the people thinking about buying the game and looking for accurate information about what it *actually* is give a fuck, otherwise I don't give a fuck either, hardcore fan of both series from the very start.

Agree about the game being good, don't think anyone else in this thread has written more praise than I have. And I agree about Darksiders 3 (have the plat trophy for that too!) though both 1&2 are superior. DS3 takes a *little* Souls inspiration but otherwise I wouldn't call it a Souls-like.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Humility doesn't enter the equation, you decided to quote me and be insulting, not the other way around.

Now, it's already been outlined why the game is more like Souls, not going to repeat myself (and I doubt you've even played much Souls making your thoughts on the matter irrelevant). Let's take ourselves out of the debate though, perhaps the best way to gauge it is through the many people who posted in this thread saying "I picked up this game thinking/hearing it's similar to GoW when it's actually more like Souls which I'm not into". Nothing more to say, seems to me *you're* the one with the trouble admitting you're wrong, it's OK, perhaps in your next life.
Bruh you are the one who started it with your dismissive laughing emojis. Next life? Wth are you talking about lol. Okay you win this is Souls-like. I am happy admitting I am wrong in this life itself.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Bruh you are the one who started it with your dismissive laughing emojis. Next life? Wth are you talking about lol. Okay you win this is Souls-like. I am happy admitting I am wrong in this life itself.

"Next life" is a play on the reincarnation themes in Wukong/Buddhism but looks like you're too dumb to pick up on it (NOW I'm being insulting). I don't care about winning, I care about facts, now move on.

Gaiff

Darksiders 3 wasn't a souls clone and the game was pretty decent, hard disagree on that one, you could have listed 50 games before ds3 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Nah, it was lol. Adapted a lot of Souls things that weren't in the other games.

>Checkpoint and respawn system that resurrects the enemies
>You also lose xp upon death and can only retrieve it by recovering your lost souls aka bloodstain
>Much harder combat
>New and far more difficult and punishing counter mechanic
>Limited healing with a long animation that can be interrupted, unlike 1 and 2 which had instant healing that couldn't be stopped
>Level design that moved away from the Zelda-like conventions of the previous games and went more Metroidvania style

It has every single aspect of a Soulslike. I don’t know how you played it and concluded it isn’t one when it ticks all the boxes. I bought it day 1 and my thoughts within 2 hours of play was that it was an awful Souls clone. Even the Wikipedia page for Soulslike list Darksiders 3.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Oh yea

MArh1fz.jpeg

Started NG+ after wrapping up some missing items I needed. FYI the only way to get the plat trophy is through NG+, new items/weapons/armor that are needed for the respective trophies can only be found in this mode.

I'm most intrigued by what an NPC said at the end of the optional talisman quest in ch. 4, wonder if it will manifest somehow here. I remember the devs said there is a huge secret that still hasn't been discovered...

Top Bottom