• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Disappointing to hear. Its easily the best movie so far this year.

WW did 80 million for the weekend so hopefully this breaks even in the long run at least.

Vileneuve seems to have a hard time hitting it big in the box office. He should probably do a comic book movie or two so that his name gets more recognition. It helped Nolan a lot.

HariKari

Vileneuve seems to have a hard time hitting it big in the box office. He should probably do a comic book movie or two so that his name gets more recognition. It helped Nolan a lot.

That's a pretty depressing thought/state of the industry.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

WW did 80 million for the weekend so hopefully this breaks even in the long run at least.

Denis Vileneuve present's Howard the Duck

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

you're not wrong, and it fucking hurts.

Its pacing isn't fast & furious enough for the young crowd, I guess. :( Then again, 2001 Space Odyssey would flop if it was released now. BR2049 deserves all kinds of success but I'm not surprised (after seeing it today). For some reason it has zero mass appeal and that's a shame. The movie could be a lesson for some people. Hell, after the credits rolled even walking out of the theatre felt hectic, haha.

At least a 9/10 theatre experience.

Arrival was a hit. 100 million domestic for a somewhat smaller sci-fi film like that is a success.

This explains why there were only 2 other people in my theater last night. I thought it was just because our show started at 11 pm. Booo

It could be that the public just isn't spiritually in the mood right now for another corporate dystopia in the midst of all the recent events (hurricanes, the political climate, uncertainties regarding the ACA and expanded Medicaid, etc).

"Every civilization is built on the backs of a disposable workforce," the trailer says. We're deeply depressed enough as it is, the millennials, etc, who've been bludgeoned with (sleazy?) philosophy over the past decade, thanks to the internet.

It may even be that the movie is just late to the party when it comes to that sort of thing. People might just be thinking, "We get it, we're cogs in the machine, thanks!"

And of course, note that I'm not digging at the movie itself as I haven't seen it yet, although my choice critic, Chuck Bowen, wasn't really into it. I'm just offering up a theory.

cgcg

Hate to break it to some of you guys but the original wasn't that great either. Hyped by people on here and bought the 5-disc bluray set. Was so hype to watch it but all I got was some robot wanting to be Shakespeare :(

butzopower

proud of his butz
Is early Oct usually a time movies have big opening weekends? Guess it's Columbus Day weekend, but does that amount for much?

Yeah. The Dark Knight and Inception combo made Nolan huge.

LuuKyK

Thats a huge shame. The movie is amazing and I never watched the orginal nor did I went in with big expectations.

NCSOFT

I'm honestly kind of glad (which is a terrible thing to say - I know - considering so many people worked hard to make this happen), but the movie annoyed the fuck out of me and maybe if more box office bombs like that happen the studio heads will finally realize that the audience doesn't need more of these nostalgia pandering movies but fresh franchises.

This is absolute true but no need to be at the expense of BR2049, audiences need fresh franchises isn't the reason that it's not doing well, because the other reboots, remakes and sequels and movie universes are doing just fine. If we are going to eliminate some of them and exchange for new franchises I'm all for it (80% of the blockbusters today are expendable), but not at the expense of this one, this one can stay.e

TARS

Neo Member
It's a disappointing number, considering that sci-fi can do good at the box office, with films like Gravity, Interstellar and The Martian being successful.

But it looks like Villeneuve more than delivered, so he'll be just fine and will continue to do what he wants next. Fans don't have anything to worry about.

I mean, you have to hand it to Nolan. Dunkirk only did "well" because they controlled its costs. That's gives him the leeway to take continually take risks.
A $520M box office gross is a big number for any type of film (nevertheless a war film) and a $100M budget is always risky for an original property.

I'm honestly kind of glad (which is a terrible thing to say - I know - considering so many people worked hard to make this happen), but the movie annoyed the fuck out of me and maybe if more box office bombs like that happen the studio heads will finally realize that the audience doesn't need more of these nostalgia pandering movies but fresh franchises.

Bullshit.

This would be a fair point if people actually hated the movie, but general response has been extremely positive. Stop trying to take away things people actually enjoy

I'd take this brilliant sequel over most original movies this year...I don't think BR2059 should be the bad example here. It's NOT you typical nostagia pandering movie, that's what I want to say.

Cheebo

Banned
I was thinking let him do Flashpoint. A crazy time traveling thriller could be right up his alley.
"Let him"?

He would never do a film like that.

He is above the shared universe super hero game. They don't get elite talent directors for films like that.

I think he'd much prefer going back to smaller dramas than going within 1000 of a DCEU film based on his style.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
"Let him"?

He wouldn't do a film unless he had 100% creative control.

He is above the shared universe super hero game. They don't get elite talent directors for films like that.

Studio Exec: OK Denis this is where we need you to insert a 2 minute scene setting up our next movie

Denis: I make movies, not commercials.

dabig2

So at first I didn't think it sounded that bad because the first film was cult as hell and this one is a long, R rated cerebral sci-fi being made 35 years after the 1st but...

Arrival was on a $50M budget

Blade Runner was a $150M+ budget

The budget was ONE HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION US DOLLARS????!!!!

Who the hell approved this? And why?

Spoo

A shame, as it is a great movie, but walking out of the theater the first time I definitely felt like this one wasn't going to win over audiences who weren't already dedicated to seeing it. If a friend asks "What's that BR2049 movie about?" I can't encapsulate it neatly for them in a way that is going to make them go see it (I just say "Go see it!"). It's niche, builds a lot of its emotional impact on an older movie that was also niche, and doesn't have a lot of whizz-bang to push into its trailers and advertisements.

HariKari

The guys that had previously bankrolled Villeneuve. He delivered.

Turns out, a fantastic sequel (in more ways than one) to Blade Runner doesn't have wide appeal.

So at first I didn't think it sounded that bad because the first film was cult as hell and this one is a long, R rated cerebral sci-fi being made 35 years after the 1st but...

Producers likely base the budget and sequel on how many damn mentions there are on social media, and the thousands of freaking video essays on Youtube about BR 1.

Too bad decades of film dissection doesn't equal popularity with a mass audience.

I still love the film, and I wish it did a lot better.

Cheebo

Banned
Studio Exec: OK Denis this is where we need you to insert a 2 minute scene setting up our next movie

Denis: I make movies, not commercials.
Only way he would ever do super hero films is if he got to do it on his own, no association with continuity like Nolan did.

Otherwise he would likely say fuck off to any request to do a DCEU movie and go back to doing stuff like Prisoners and Sicario.

Necro

Banned

A wonderful human being, the movie is breathtaking.

KayMote

Bullshit.

This would be a fair point if people actually hated the movie, but general response has been extremely positive. Stop trying to take away things people actually enjoy

Maybe, just maybe, people would also enjoy new franchises with the bonus of it feeling completely fresh.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Only way he would ever do super hero films is if he got to do it on his own, no association with continuity like Nolan did.

Otherwise he would likely say fuck off to any request to do a DCEU movie and go back to doing stuff like Prisoners and Sicario.

I don't think Denis is interested in being part of the superhero conveyor belt either. He had this to say in a recent interview talking about his French heritage

“So I’m used to that, and I also think there’s definitely (thoughts of) a European sensibility. By that I mean I was raised with (books by) European authors, with European references. That’s why if a studio were to offer me a Marvel hero comic-book adaptation, I don’t have the culture to bring that to the screen, because my references are from Europe and European authors.”

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...e-says-film-felt-like-coming-home-howell.html

He's not a good match for superhero movies either. Superhero movies want you to turn your brain off and oogle the spectacle. Denis wants to constsntly engage the viewer with thought provoking subjects.

I'm still going to see it next weekend. I wish I were surprised at this result, but I'm not.

Is there no way to make a financially successful cyberpunk film? There goes any hope I had of a live action adaptation of Cyber City Oedo.

Why would they put so much money into a classic flop sequel

The movie is about 10x better than the likes of Tron Legacy or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

You can definitely see the money well spent on the screen, some the effects are insane and will spark a few conversations on "how did they do that?"

Leto and Gosling are A-listers? LMFAO

Uh, yeah, though this doesn't mean what it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom