• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
Leto and Gosling are definitely A-listers. Not that star power really matters in terms of box office performance these days.

shandy706

Probably one of the best movies I've ever seen in a theater in 30 years.

Visuals and soundtrack were breathtaking. The sounds literally shook you.

Movie deserves so much more return $$$ wise.

Excellent experience.

Violet_0

Banned
Hate to break it to some of you guys but the original wasn't that great either. Hyped by people on here and bought the 5-disc bluray set. Was so hype to watch it but all I got was some robot wanting to be Shakespeare :(

have you seen 2049 yet? I'm not claiming it's the bestest movie ever, but it was certainly worth the price of admission

Blade Runner (the original) is notable for creating the 'look' and 'feel' of the cyberpunk genre in every visual medium. Futuristic cityscape that stretches on to the horizon, set at night time, possibly with heavy and prominent rainfall, flying cars, giant industrial towers producing steady streams of smog clouds in the background, crammed filthy slum-like streets filled with shady characters, constant intrusive ads on huge screens, blinking neon lights everywhere, a mix of Western and Asian aesthetics? You'll find that franchises such as Star Wars, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, among many others, draw from this image

s_mirage

Excellent film and I'm disappointed by the box office results, not too surprised though. I've been worried about this happening since GitS bombed, and Alien: Covenant bombing compounded the worry. Yes, those two weren't amazing, but ordinarily I'd have expected them to have done better than they did. This has been a pretty terrible year for big budget sci-fi at the box office.

I just hope that it manages a decent hold next week on the back of positive reviews. I don't believe there's much coming out next week to do major damage.

I've been looking forward to that all year, will it even get a theatrical release at this point? I haven't heard anything lately.

All we know so far is that it's Netflix and will get a "limited theatre release" sometime in 2017. I hope Blade Runner 2049's reception doesn't put Netflix off putting Mute in theatres as well, that would suck.

Ah well, at least there's another cyberpunk noir film coming out from another really talented director anyway. I'm happy enough getting to see even 2 cyberpunk films this year.

Figgles

It’s a shame. Easily one of the best movies of the year. There might not be much action, but the action you get is more impactful and intense than all of the marvel/dc offerings this year combined.

If you have even the slightest bit of interest, go watch this in theaters. It is so incredible looking, that you will regret it if your first viewing is as a rental on your tv.

No one went to see that J Edgar Hoover movie.
To be fair. That's just 1 film.

I'm surprise The Revenant made over 500 million honestly. Hell Inception made over 800 million. There's more examples if sure

Edit: side note, I forgot Magnificent Seven happened. Had a lot of big names too, then again I thought it looked boring and unteresting

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed the plot, the music, the acting, the visuals. Pretty much everything but the pacing (yes, i know its true to the source). But part of me kept thinking peoples attention span are not going to be nice to this movie. And kids growing up now dont even know the relevance of blade runner.

90s remakes are going to make more money than 80s remakes at this point I think.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like Inarritu is an artistic fraud, I don't know how many feel that way though.

People wanna talk about BR2049 being too long or slow paced while turning out in droves for Revenant.

That movie was like watching paint dry.

watershed

Banned
Nothing about this movie tries to be a blockbuster or even crowd pleaser. Props to the advertising department for doing everything they could to get people to the theaters though.

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
This is a shame. I bought a ticket on a whim to go check this out with a friend having never seen the original(I ended up watching the director's cut last night to prepare). I absolutely loved the original and 2049. But hearing it's not doing so hot is giving me flashbacks to Tron: Legacy and reminding me that reviving old properties is great for the fan base but never translates into success with general audiences.

Replicant

It's packed house here in Sydney, Australia. Maybe US audiences just have too short attention span for this kind of film?

berzeli

Banned
It's a shame.
Both the results for the film and that the op went with a Mendelson article+headline.

Not sure which is worse.
It's packed house here in Sydney, Australia. Maybe US audiences just have too short attention span for this kind of film?
It's doing really well in UK & Aus according to Deadline. Overall the international numbers are fine with some major markets still to open to boot.

Empty

for the film to be successful it wouldn't be any good. the pacing is absolutely vital to the film and such a carefully paced and hypnotic film will be an alien experience to most. i'm just glad it was made. it reminds me of scorsese's silence in this regard, why would you want a version of that film which would make money, it would suck.

personally i don't think it's a total masterpiece but the film will still be relevant as a piece of art in thirty years, by then no-one will care if the studio behind it had a poor '17 fiscal quarter on the back of its figures. shareholders can cry me a river.

J_Viper

People wanna talk about BR2049 being too long or slow paced while turning out in droves for Revenant.

That movie was like watching paint dry.

Yeah

I can do slow movies, but Revenant was a complete bore. There's a good 30-40 mins of cloud shots that could have been cut.

BR2049 is slow and lengthy too, but I wouldn't even know begin to know what to cut if they were looking to tighten up the pacing. Every scene felt essential.

SRG01

How much of this BO failure could be attributed to audiences not appreciating hard science fiction films anymore? I remember the same disappointment when audiences didn't go see Edge of Tomorrow :(

I watched it last night. It has great scenes but I hardly found anything that drew me in save from the excellent worldbuilding. Ryan does a great job in his role but the story is left to be desired.

SeppOCE

Isnt the first one just a cult classic which did poorly at the box office that took multiple releases to get good anyway ?

Edit: like why would we expect a sequel to take off?

It bombed critically

It also didn't even made back its budget despite being one of the most hyped up films in ages. They spent more on marketing as they did on the entire film. I recall hearing it wouldn't start making a profit until it hit $1.2b in sales. Wiki has it pegged at ~$880m so far, so that's pretty much a bomb considering they spent so much to create it.

Nesotenso

shame about the box office. I saw the first one recently and the good word of mouth for the second one makes it likely that I will like this one. Didn't get a chance to see it this weekend. Have to catch a matinee next weekend.

I’m about to help out a bit with my girlfriend, but I asked my friends and most of them didn’t know what it was/hadn’t watched the original so they weren’t interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom