• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

ShinMaruku

Ok I have fixed my issues come back online. On DIscord with my fellow fgc people but all are welcome to join and discuss.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I am just now introduced and getting hyped for this game. How does the beta work? Do I have to pay for it? When does it end, etc?

Ruff

I really like this game but man dungeons are just a mess for me. With 6 people I can barely see whats going on, though all the spam combo effects and whatnot and it gets me killed a lot haha. I did try turning other players invisible but it feels weird to not see what others are doing too. Ehh.

Some party wanted me to have my cat tank a boss and honestly I couldn't even see my little cat in the chaos to even know what was happening to it or if my commands were being excuted with it.

So I am just now introduced and getting hyped for this game. How does the beta work? Do I have to pay for it? When does it end, etc?

You can buy a premium pack thing to get beta access, but they also give beta keys every beta. It's open on weekends only, closing today for this weekend, next is hmm, in 2weeks I think? The dates are on the site. Game launches in January and there's 2 beta weekends left.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

To gain access to the beta you can either get a key by chance from signing up to their newsletter, try to snag one during one of their partnered giveaways, or simply buying a founder's pack.

What makes a founder's pack valuable is that it gives you access to all CBTs, while the other methods get you access to that specific CBT only.

Chariot

Me too. I am not even looking forward to the next CBTs because they will be so short >_<
Gimme the game already.

Chariot

Will you be playing on EU or joining us on NA at launch? :D
Since I play with real life friends, EU probably :(
Connection to NA was entirely okay in the first beta, but I do enjoy the missing night queue. Then again, can't be too long to raise a character to max, maybe I commit to a additional NA character later.

SDBurton

Since I play with real life friends, EU probably :(

Noooooooo! T_T

Connection to NA was entirely okay in the first beta, but I do enjoy the missing night queue. Then again, can't be too long to raise a character to max, maybe I commit to a additional NA character later.

No worries. :)

Same here.

At least there's Xenoblade X on Friday. That will keep me busy until the next test starts.

Very true.

Chariot

Btw. do we already have an B&S GAF Discord server? It would be a pleasure to chat with you guys during the game and it would be nifty for quick questions.

Astra

I really want to get into this game, but it's not very fun by yourself. I've tried several times to join the GAF group, but no responses in game :(.
Also asked some friends to try it out with me, but they won't. Even though it's free!

SDBurton

I really want to get into this game, but it's not very fun by yourself. I've tried several times to join the GAF group, but no responses in game :(.
Also asked some friends to try it out with me, but they won't. Even though it's free!

Oh wow I'm sorry if I missed you. To be honest I'm not really a fan of the notification system they have in this game as the icon is at the bottom of the screen (the last place people would look lol).

What's your character's name in game? And if you didn't do it the last beta, be sure to create a chat channel that focuses only on whispers and clan chat, so it makes it easy to know when people are trying to reach you. :D

My character's name in-game is Yuridaze, so be sure to PM me so I can get you settled. (Make sure you're part of the Crimson Legion faction so I can invite you to the clan!)

Played a bit of this, the combat is great, dialog is unbearable, character models are nice but the world is kinda plain. I have a 970 and an i5 but I get a lot of stuttering, and anti aliasing doesn't seem to do much even if I bypass the game settings and use nvidia's. Seems odd for a fairly old game running on unreal, I think? Any word on what version of the game these beta are running on? Did they say to expect technical issues?

SDBurton

Played a bit of this, the combat is great, dialog is unbearable, character models are nice but the world is kinda plain. I have a 970 and an i5 but I get a lot of stuttering, and anti aliasing doesn't seem to do much even if I bypass the game settings and use nvidia's. Seems odd for a fairly old game running on unreal, I think? Any word on what version of the game these beta are running on? Did they say to expect technical issues?

Does this occur in well populated areas or everywhere you go?

I think I like the Cerulean Society's (is that the faction name or did I just make that up?) clothing more.

It seems like people in the beta just swarmed Crimson Legion. What's so good about them compared to Blue Guys faction?

SDBurton

I think I like the Cerulean Society's (is that the faction name or did I just make that up?) clothing more.

It seems like people in the beta just swarmed Crimson Legion. What's so good about them compared to Blue Guys faction?

Honestly there is no difference between the two. I mentioned a page back or so that we may want to consider switching factions come launch, because I can already imagine the hassle we'll face in regards to having people joining our clan when the faction itself is full.

I've been dealing with that issue since the start of beta, not fun at all. :lol

Honestly there is no difference between the two. I mentioned a page back or so that we may want to consider switching factions come launch, because I can already imagine the hassle we'll face in regards to having people joining our clan when the faction itself is full.

I've been dealing with that issue since the start of beta, not fun at all. :lol

I vote in favour of Cerulean Society then. I think they look cooler than the red team. Being part of the underdogs will be fun!

Astra

Oh wow I'm sorry if I missed you. To be honest I'm not really a fan of the notification system they have in this game as the icon is at the bottom of the screen (the last place people would look lol).

What's your character's name in game? And if you didn't do it the last beta, be sure to create a chat channel that focuses only on whispers and clan chat, so it makes it easy to know when people are trying to reach you. :D

My character's name in-game is Yuridaze, so be sure to PM me so I can get you settled. (Make sure you're part of the Crimson Legion faction so I can invite you to the clan!)

Oh no worries, I figured you may have been afk, or the message got lost in the ridiculous sea of the chat. I just didn't want to keep spamming you with whispers, lol.

My name in game is Astraea Vinland, and I've joined the Crimson Legion :}

Now I just hope to get into the next beta!
I need a break from ffxiv and B&S is a nice change.

Oh no worries, I figured you may have been afk, or the message got lost in the ridiculous sea of the chat. I just didn't want to keep spamming you with whispers, lol.

So true.

IMO FFXIV's combat is one of the most stale things imaginable. Blade&Soul came out a year before ARR (it was out for a couple months while the old version of FFXIV was still running) and they didn't take any lessons from it, instead opting to go for a basic tab target system that's been used for years already (only thing cool they added is Limit Break), except now with a long GCD to make things even slower. I personally play FFXIV now for the story since I've invested so much time in it, I'm interested in seeing how it will go. First time run throughs of content are ok because you're seeing new things. But after that the gameplay doesn't hold up on repeated playthroughs of content you've already done.

Blade&Soul came out 3 years ago but it feels like it's light years ahead of FFXIV in terms of gameplay.

The idea to have the same number of skills that classes get in normal MMOs, but to design the system around contextual use of your skills is brilliant. Completely cuts down on hotkey/button bloat that FFXIV currently suffers from (I remember Yoshida saying they would do something for controller users about the ability bloat but nothing ever actually happened to my knowledge). B&S has the true version of combos that FFXIV should of had instead of what it currently has which is more or less an excuse to fill up more spaces on your crossbar than should be needed.

Blade and Soul is just so fluid and each class feels so good to play, it almost feels like you're learning a fighting game character due to how everything is laid out and executed. Blade and Soul is what future MMOs should look to for how to design fun and cohesive combat that doesn't require you to set up 3-4 bars of skills to piano. Absolutely 0 setup required yet is deep and leaves you plenty of room to grow into as you learn the finer intricacies of your class.

I don't ever want to have to setup hotbars in an MMO ever again. Blade and Soul shows that it is absolutely not necessary and the results speak for themselves imo.

SDBurton

I know I have you on my friend list because I remember that name! I'll definitely add you to the clan next cbt. :)

I'll be sure to be on the lookout for beta key giveaways if they pop up next week.

So true.

IMO FFXIV's combat is one of the most stale things imaginable. Blade&Soul came out a year before ARR (it was out for a couple months while the old version of FFXIV was still running) and they didn't take any lessons from it, instead opting to go for a basic tab target system that's been used for years already (only thing cool they added is Limit Break), except now with a long GCD to make things even slower. I personally play FFXIV now for the story since I've invested so much time in it, I'm interested in seeing how it will go. First time run throughs of content are ok because you're seeing new things. But after that the gameplay doesn't hold up on repeated playthroughs of content you've already done.

Blade&Soul came out 3 years ago but it feels like it's light years ahead of FFXIV in terms of gameplay.

The idea to have the same number of skills that classes get in normal MMOs, but to design the system around contextual use of your skills is brilliant. Completely cuts down on hotkey/button bloat that FFXIV currently suffers from (I remember Yoshida saying they would do something for controller users about the ability bloat but nothing ever actually happened to my knowledge). B&S has the true version of combos that FFXIV should of had instead of what it currently has which is more or less an excuse to fill up more spaces on your crossbar than should be needed.

Blade and Soul is just so fluid and each class feels so good to play, it almost feels like you're learning a fighting game character due to how everything is laid out and executed. Blade and Soul is what future MMOs should look to for how to design fun and cohesive combat that doesn't require you to set up 3-4 bars of skills to piano. Absolutely 0 setup required yet is deep and leaves you plenty of room to grow into as you learn the finer intricacies of your class.

I don't ever want to have to setup hotbars in an MMO ever again. Blade and Soul shows that it is absolutely not necessary and the results speak for themselves imo.

You wouldn't mind if I use this quote of yours for the OT would you? It's so good.

I know I have you on my friend list because I remember that name! I'll definitely add you to the clan next cbt. :)

I'll be sure to be on the lookout for beta key giveaways if they pop up next week.

You wouldn't mind if I use this quote of yours for the OT would you? It's so good.

I don't mind. I don't know if my rage post will get more people to take a look at the game but if you think it might then it's worth a shot I suppose.

I went in pretty hard on FFXIV but I think it's something people should still play if they are interested in the story and Final Fantasy trappings (or maybe the crafting/market stuff since that seems to grab some people). I just find it's combat to be more than lacking for such a recent game. So it creates this funny reaction when I go from it to something like Blade and Soul which clearly does a lot more in that department.

ShinMaruku

So I have a proper set up on the gaf Discord server. We shall have a pvp channel, dungeon channel, general chat,pvp and raid channel. There will also be some side channels for other games that we can branch into.

I kind of wish they had a CBT in January or something. Because we're getting two more in December but then nothing for almost the whole of January till release.

This withdrawal is getting to me. :/

SDBurton

I kind of wish they had a CBT in January or something. Because we're getting two more in December but then nothing for almost the whole of January till release.

This withdrawal is getting to me. :/

I hear you. Here's what we're looking at right now in regards to their schedule:

Weekend 5: Dec 18, 10am PDT - Dec 21, 10pm PDT (English, French, German)(Final CBT)

Name Reservation: January 11th

Head Start: January 15th

Launch: January 19th

Here's hoping they can slip in one more on the 1st of January or something so we won't go crazy. :lol

=====================================

Currently sick at the moment so I decided to stay home and work a bit more on the OT. I really hope you guys like it. :)

Astra

So true.

You speak true. I really do love FFXIV, but not for its combat. 2.5 second GCD is ridiculous, and even the ninja feels slow as molasses.

Another thing I absolutely love about B&S over FFXIV, is that the hardest content is 4 man. In FF it can be such a chore to get 8 people together on the same schedule to do endgame raids. That's the only really difficult content, is 4 bosses. B&S seems to have so much more variety.

Thanks! I'll send you more whispers in the next CBT. I'd love to join some GAF parties :D

SDBurton

Thanks! I'll send you more whispers in the next CBT. I'd love to join some GAF parties :D

Please do! We also got a Discord server up for chat thanks to ShinMaruku, so definitely feel free to hang with us as we play. :D

You can either download or open the discord app on your browser here.

Vex_

Banned
Lol sdburton has been polishing that OT for decades now! LOL!

What if If someone comes along when the game launched and just releases an OT before you REALLY FAST?

Does that ever worry OT makers?

...what if I am planning to betray you, sdburton? WHAT THEN?

giphy.gif

Hope you feel better :(

Ultimadrago

What if If someone comes along when the game launched and just releases an OT before you REALLY FAST?

Hope you feel better :(

Lol. That's why we have the OT reservation thread, silly~

SDBurton

tqmOZte.png

ANYBODY CAN BE BOUGHT!

You speak true. I really do love FFXIV, but not for its combat. 2.5 second GCD is ridiculous, and even the ninja feels slow as molasses.

Another thing I absolutely love about B&S over FFXIV, is that the hardest content is 4 man. In FF it can be such a chore to get 8 people together on the same schedule to do endgame raids. That's the only really difficult content, is 4 bosses. B&S seems to have so much more variety.

There's a lot of stuff to add to the NA version. Like I heard there's a solo thing called Mushin Tower where you pretty much have to get good at your class to beat in addition to more group dungeons and stuff.

I read something a awhile ago where it was said that NCSoft wants to get NA up to date in time for the world championship at the end of the year (2016).

If correct what that means is that we should be getting about 3 years worth of content in one.

Don't quote me on that though since I can't find the actual quote at the moment.

Basically there's a lot of cool stuff for us to look forward to.

Astra

There's a lot of stuff to add to the NA version. Like I heard there's a solo thing called Mushin Tower where you pretty much have to get good at your class to beat in addition to more group dungeons and stuff.

I read something a awhile ago where it was said that NCSoft wants to get NA up to date in time for the world championship at the end of the year (2016).

If correct what that means is that we should be getting about 3 years worth of content in one.

Don't quote me on that though since I can't find the actual quote at the moment.

I heard something similar, with the new class coming out they wanted to release that to all regions so everyone has a chance to practice with it and get good before the championship.

That would mean a pretty aggressive content release schedule for this year, and that'd be an amazing thing. We won't be left looking for something to do in this game for quite awhile :D

Zand

Neo Member

Indeed. There is a ton of content coming our way, we only have show some patience. =)

Once we're all caught up with KR (minus December update), we'll have something like:
Warlock
lvl50 (+10 or more extra levels)
15(?) max level dungeons (4/6 man versions)
3 Raids (24 members)
5 Open Raids (instances that support 24 people, can't switch channels)
2 Regions beyond what we see now in beta
Mushin Tower (updated with more bosses than we'll see when we get it)

I think we'll get lvl50 + Warlock by Summer, since I think NCSoft wants NA/EU to be able to compete in the World Championships, so we'll need lvl50/WL/Hongmen levels. So much to look forward too!

Also, Crimson is popular at the start because their outfits look a lot better than Cerulean (to most people), but as time goes on people begin to switch because the Crimson Zerg falls apart after obtaining what they wanted.

SDBurton

That feel when you wake up and realize you have to wait another week before you can play Blade & Soul again...

At least PSX and Capcom Cup is this weekend.

That feel when you wake up and realize you have to wait another week before you can play Blade & Soul again...

At least PSX and Capcom Cup is this weekend.

Xenoblade X (if you have a Wii U).

Should line up nicely for next week CBT.

For next CBT I'm going to try leveling Force Master to get a better feel for them. I'm also going to be working on creating a better character since these CBTs are good for creating and saving an appearance to use for when the game goes live fully.

Top Bottom