• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

Everyone else should post their characters as well.

Am I the most adorable Lyn NA~

xmaslyn2.jpg

I really hope they will make these Christmas costumes available at launch...

They said they won't on a tweet or something like that, will have to wait next christmas for them cause it won't be christmas when the game releases. Maybe they'll change their minds but not sure. It'd make for some pretty good launch cash shop sales though I'd think.

Personaj

Neo Member
I haven't enjoyed an MMO this much in a long time. Really digging the art style and the classes are pretty enjoyable. Been playing all day and currently have a level 18 summoner. Looking forward to the launch!

Vex_

Banned
Looks like new costumes came out for the Korean client:

(Jin Male / Jin Female / Lyn Male / Lyn Female / Gon Male / Gon Female / Yun)
zHtfbVd.png

dXloz3P.png

Love 'em!

LAWHD.

Also, I would post pics of my character from the other betas (I saved the looks), but I'm kinda shy.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They said they won't on a tweet or something like that, will have to wait next christmas for them cause it won't be christmas when the game releases. Maybe they'll change their minds but not sure. It'd make for some pretty good launch cash shop sales though I'd think.

I hope they have a good amount of costumes to purchase at launch. I wanna go crazy!

I haven't enjoyed an MMO this much in a long time. Really digging the art style and the classes are pretty enjoyable. Been playing all day and currently have a level 18 summoner. Looking forward to the launch!

Glad to hear it. Would love to have you with us come launch! :)

LAWHD.

Also, I would post pics of my character from the other betas (I saved the looks), but I'm kinda shy.

Don't be shy! :p

==============================

After taking some time comparing costumes, designs, and appearance between the Gon Female and Jin Female, I've decided to roll with the latter come launch. Jin won't have access to the Soul Fighter class when it's released, so I'll give that to my Gon instead.

Baalzebup

Well, there isn't that much point to leveling up more in this beta since all characters and progress will be wiped tomorrow.

So I did this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUrnKd43m0

Special thanks to YG and PSY for letting me use their music without muting my audio track <3

Hahaha! Brilliant. Time well spent, I say.

OT: Ya'll playing on Mushin, right? I wanted to use this last night of beta to see if I can play on the US servers without crippling lag spikes.

I have a feeling I am reading this wrong, but is the next beta tomorrow or is the actual early release tomorrow? I am getting so confused the more I read!

SDBurton

Hahaha! Brilliant. Time well spent, I say.

OT: Ya'll playing on Mushin, right? I wanted to use this last night of beta to see if I can play on the US servers without crippling lag spikes.

Correct, we're on Mushin for the CBTs and we'll be there when the game launches.

I have a feeling I am reading this wrong, but is the next beta tomorrow or is the actual early release tomorrow? I am getting so confused the more I read!

Headstart begins on the 15th of January. Though if you have either a Disciple or Master pack you'll be able to create your character and reserve your name on the 11th.

==============

So insane that after all this waiting the game will finally be launching in the US within a couple weeks. Feels so surreal after spending so many years wishing, hoping, and begging for NCSoft to bring the game over they finally did it. I'm so happy! :)

If anyone's wondering how class distribution might be shaping up for NA/EU release, there's a Reddit poll going:
http://strawpoll.me/6326045/r

ASSASSINS ERRYWHERE

Correct, we're on Mushin for the CBTs and we'll be there when the game launches.

I think they said they are not using the beta server names for release though. We'll have to decide which server we want to be on when they release the real names I guess.

Also, during beta Crimson Legion Red Team spent most of their time being farmed by Cerulean Order Blue Team. If this game ends up being anything like how Aion turned out, everyone will want to be on the pretty light faction (Elyos) and people on the edgy dark faction (Asmodians) won't have very much fun being outnumbered 2:1 everywhere they go. I believe that in beta, only Blue Team was able to get a kill of Blackwyrm on Mushin.

What I'm saying is we should probably be careful when we consider our faction for release. At this time it's hard to predict if the trend in beta will carry over to release, but I don't want to be on AMD Red Team if we're going to get our asses kicked all over the world by Intel Blue Team.

Aion Beta tests... and in most MMO's in General... when there is a Good/Positive looking faction vs. a Evil/Negative looking faction... most people roll with the Evil/Negative faction because "it looks cooler!"

Which faction actually performs the best is a toss up.

Me & a friend posted our images of chars we have worked on solo / collaborated with =3

https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/for...r-characters-screenshots/page-55#entry1457079

That post shows some of the reference images used for that specific character, at the bottom of the post there are links to some other chars we have worked on. We have been playing bns since it launched in kr so spent most of the beta helping people out & steering people away from bad habits & rng pitfalls =V

We have made a bunch of chars over the years & decided to just show some off.

Has anyone in here been playing bns since launch or maybe on a different region?

SDBurton

If anyone's wondering how class distribution might be shaping up for NA/EU release, there's a Reddit poll going:
http://strawpoll.me/6326045/r

ASSASSINS ERRYWHERE

I think they said they are not using the beta server names for release though. We'll have to decide which server we want to be on when they release the real names I guess.

Also, during beta Crimson Legion Red Team spent most of their time being farmed by Cerulean Order Blue Team. If this game ends up being anything like how Aion turned out, everyone will want to be on the pretty light faction (Elyos) and people on the edgy dark faction (Asmodians) won't have very much fun being outnumbered 2:1 everywhere they go. I believe that in beta, only Blue Team was able to get a kill of Blackwyrm on Mushin.

What I'm saying is we should probably be careful when we consider our faction for release. At this time it's hard to predict if the trend in beta will carry over to release, but I don't want to be on AMD Red Team if we're going to get our asses kicked all over the world by Intel Blue Team.

I've already discussed this matter with Ultimadrago and ShinMaruku during CBT 3&4 and we have decided to switch to the Cerulean Order at launch, more so because of the difficulty everyone was having joining Crimson Legion when trying to get in the clan.

In regards to server names I'd be surprised if they changed them. It was mentioned that we'll be getting a list of servers prior to name reservation so at the very least we'll have time to decide where to go if indeed Mushin is out.

Aion Beta tests... and in most MMO's in General... when there is a Good/Positive looking faction vs. a Evil/Negative looking faction... most people roll with the Evil/Negative faction because "it looks cooler!"

Yeah, I feel most players will have that "horde, black/red" mentality when it comes to faction choice because unlike Aion, your faction isn't based on race.

The first costume also looks much better for Crimson I think. The following ones are actually pretty good for Cerulean, but the starting one I find kinda meh, especially in comparison to Crimson.

Regardless though it's not terrible important unlike some other games. You only really put the costumes to do your pvp daillies or farming, but most of the time you'll be using another costumes for pve or arena, and since world pvp isn't really a major component of the game, which side you're on won't have too much of an impact, probably.

Kyne

actually,

a lot of people hated the way that the Asmodians looked on Aion. The majority of the population favored Elyos.

SDBurton

The first costume also looks much better for Crimson I think. The following ones are actually pretty good for Cerulean, but the starting one I find kinda meh, especially in comparison to Crimson.

Regardless though it's not terrible important unlike some other games. You only really put the costumes to do your pvp daillies or farming, but most of the time you'll be using another costumes for pve or arena, and since world pvp isn't really a major component of the game, which side you're on won't have too much of an impact, probably.

I'd say it has some significance, only because we obtain Faction Insignias (used to level up the clan) through PvP dailies. The higher we get the clan up in rank, the more benefits we get. :D

SDBurton

I only had time to make a character and log in during closed beta... Is blade dancer good?

Haven't played one myself but I heard good things from those that did. Ultimadrago mains one and we've been having a blast figuring out setups between his class and my KFM.

ShinMaruku

Blade Dancer is in a sweet spot right now being melee but different and having a newer class idea behind it. Worry not too much about nerfs or any disruptive changes.

SDBurton

Yet another dumb question: So early access is January 15th. So that means that there is no more closed betas or anyway to play before that date?

Correct. At this time there are no more CBTs planned. January 11th you'll be able to log in and make your character, but you won't be able to actually play until the 15th.

Hadoukie

I'm regretting that I played the beta test now, since I already burnt myself out on the game. The grinding aspect is really a chore, which really holds back my enjoyment for it. With more enjoyable PvE content, it would be one of my favorite MMOs. I spend more time making characters than playing them, because of how great the creator is; I can make the female character I always wanted.

I think it's alright for what it is, but I'm gonna wait for act 4 and the Warlock to come out before I pick up again.

SDBurton

I'm regretting that I played the beta test now, since I already burnt myself out on the game. The grinding aspect is really a chore, which really holds back my enjoyment for it. With more enjoyable PvE content, it would be one of my favorite MMOs. I spend more time making characters than playing them, because of how great the creator is; I can make the female character I always wanted.

I think it's alright for what it is, but I'm gonna wait for act 4 and the Warlock to come out before I pick up again.

Noooo Hadoukie! :lol

No worries, here's hoping the Warlock class comes out shortly after release so we can get you back. Like you said, the character creation is amazing, and can easily be a time sink on its own. Super happy that character templates can transfer from all versions so I can fire up the JP client at anytime and make alterations if need be. Hell, I spent so many hours working on my Gon female only to decide to roll Jin come launch (who is looking stunning btw! :p).

I only had time to make a character and log in during closed beta... Is blade dancer good?

I have done a LOT of research on this the past few days because of disturbing things I saw while playing my LBD in beta. This chart summarizes everything I've found.

edit:

The original version of this post was too damn long, i'll use bullet points instead.

- LBD has the lowest DPS of any PvE class right now, some experienced KR/JP/TW BnS players have argued even lower than the tanks (BM and KFM).
- LBD is a great PvP class.
- Play LBD if you like it and will do some PvP in addition to PvE.
- Destroyer is preferred over LBD in the PvE role they play (support/DPS using CCs, grabs, stuns, KDs, etc.) because of much higher DPS.
- LBD has been bottom-tier DPS in KR BnS for some time now with no apparent PvE buffs forthcoming from NCSOFT.
- It's not clear if LBD will ever get PvE buffs or if NCSOFT is happy with LBD as primarily a PvP-centric class.
- Your first character may take anywhere from 30-50 hours to cap with. Your second could take as little as 20-25 if you go fast. There's no penalty for picking a class considered "weak" to start with, because of how fast you can raise an alt if you go quickly.
- My current plan is to start with an LBD because they can be leveled quickly. Depending on how I feel about it at the NA/EU release 45 cap, I'll either keep it for PvE or just use it for some PvP and raise a FM instead.

ShinMaruku

Oh you read that person's whole idea on the dps ranking? Basically Blade Dancers from now on are gonna get nerfed, warlocks when we get them will subsequently be nerfed, everybody else will be rebalanced but Assassin and Force Masters only get better because they get better gear and the rebalncing with elemental damage is silly.

Well since the launch NA/EU cap is 45 we're starting out about 1-2 years behind Asia so it's safe to say that everything which has happened in Asia will happen here. The future is set and we do not make our fates for ourselves.

ShinMaruku

It's not quite 2 years behind because the class balance is the 3.0 update before the overhauls so we are perhaps 1 year behind but until we see the warlock patch we can't say what pace we are on.

Vex_

Banned

This is why I dont play cbt's longer than I need (to figure out if it will be my main mmo). I dont want to burn myself out before launch. To level, and then have to level ALL OVER AGAIN? I think that would burn ANYONE out on ANY mmo you get far in.

The only reason I would play during the cbts now is to gank other low level players in the starting areas >:D Which is ALWAYS fun.

With that being said, I am getting the shakes how bad I wanna play this game now. Which means my plan worked >:D

Ranmo

This is why I dont play cbt's longer than I need (to figure out if it will be my main mmo). I dont want to burn myself out before launch. To level, and then have to level ALL OVER AGAIN? I think that would burn ANYONE out on ANY mmo you get far in.

With that being said, I am getting the shakes how bad I wanna play this game now. Which means my plan worked >:D

Haha. That's how I feel. I did the exact same thing with limiting myself to just figuring out what I want to do when live hits...but now I'm getting that itch.

Top Bottom