• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

I've never been a huge fan of MMOs, but this one grabbed me like no other with its combat and animations. Really liked what I played and glad it's P2P like Guild Wars 2 (only other MMO I liked).

However, the launcher is so buggy. I would run it and type in my password, but then a small white window would pop up on the top left of my screen then crash. I got around this problem with typing my password elsewhere and copy-and-pasting it in. Still a very weird issue that they haven't really solved from looking at their beta forums.

Unknown Soldiers link should provide you with cluttered information about what was changed since it's if course the things the people asked.

That stuff looks pretty bad.

Things seemingly changed for no discernible benefit while adding in inconsistencies in the story.

Luckily I play this for the gameplay but the fact that the translation isn't as good as it could be is a bit disappointing to hear.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That stuff looks pretty bad.

Things seemingly changed for no discernible benefit while adding in inconsistencies in the story.

Luckily I play this for the gameplay but the fact that the translation isn't as good as it could be is a bit disappointing to hear.

Reading through the thread right now, that's kind of crazy. :O

They do have that in the tutorial though! You might have rushed through it by chance but it was at this part:

They finally gave me a detailed explanation of the Martial Tome as part of the level 18 quest where I meet the 8 Masters. This is like 10+ hours into the game for a first-time player like me who doesn't know where to go and what to do. I really think it should have been done earlier but oh well. I have a lot of skills now, anybody know about popular/good Blade Dancer builds?

They finally gave me a detailed explanation of the Martial Tome as part of the level 18 quest where I meet the 8 Masters. This is like 10+ hours into the game for a first-time player like me who doesn't know where to go and what to do. I really think it should have been done earlier but oh well. I have a lot of skills now, anybody know about popular/good Blade Dancer builds?

They show you the tome in the tutorial as posted. The second explanation is how to assign points, which you can't do until you do that quest later on. When you level up, in the tome, all new skills are in the new tab so you can see what you got and how it works. Seems kinda straight forward to me.

SDBurton

Y6AkRrC.png

GC3WFf8.jpg

z4GdtdA.jpg

NeoGAF photo time! :D

Demoskinos

If anyone has a extra key I'd be grateful. I wouldn't mind checking this out for a bit. I signed up on the site but apparently nothing so far. If not I'll just check it out in january I guess. :)

Zabi

Banned
There has been a complication. My new computer hasn't arrived yet but my laptop is good enough to at least install the game and mess around in the main menu and so I decided to check something. As I feared, there is no option to turn off the blood which is a problem because I'm squeamish. Back when I played the Chinese version I remember my Chinese speaking friend didn't see anything in the options menu that looked like some sort of blood toggle but I didn't think much of it because it was the Chinese version which meant the blood was edited anyway and I figured that a toggle would be added for the US version since the US is so prideful about accessibility and MMOs tend to be the most accommodating in terms of options. Final Fantasy XIV winning AbleGamers' 2013 GOTY is the finest example of MMO accessibility. I'll determine whether the blood in Blade and Soul is a deal breaker or not after my new computer arrives and I'm able to properly play the game.

Kitoro

Just found this thread, and am trying to figure out if this is something to be interested in or not.

I'm looking for an MMO to play with friends. We played FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 and 2.0 together, but we really missed the larger, more mysterious and exploratory aspect of FFXI and XIV 1.0 that was lost in the more direct "go here and do this" aspect of 2.0.

Is this a game where friends can run free, explore, jump around vibrant environments, and have fun? Or is it more of a quest/dungeon grind? Even if it is the latter, are the social/party elements fun and fluid?

I might just get a founder's pack!

SDBurton

There has been a complication. My new computer hasn't arrived yet but my laptop is good enough to at least install the game and mess around in the main menu and so I decided to check something. As I feared, there is no option to turn off the blood which is a problem because I'm squeamish. Back when I played the Chinese version I remember my Chinese speaking friend didn't see anything in the options menu that looked like some sort of blood toggle but I didn't think much of it because it was the Chinese version which meant the blood was edited anyway and I figured that a toggle would be added for the US version since the US is so prideful about accessibility and MMOs tend to be the most accommodating in terms of options. Final Fantasy XIV winning AbleGamers' 2013 GOTY is the finest example of MMO accessibility. I'll determine whether the blood in Blade and Soul is a deal breaker or not after my new computer arrives and I'm able to properly play the game.

I don't believe there is an option for it, but I'll look around and see if I can find anything. :)

Just found this thread, and am trying to figure out if this is something to be interested in or not.

I'm looking for an MMO to play with friends. We played FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 and 2.0 together, but we really missed the larger, more mysterious and exploratory aspect of FFXI and XIV 1.0 that was lost in the more direct "go here and do this" aspect of 2.0.

Is this a game where friends can run free, explore, jump around vibrant environments, and have fun? Or is it more of a quest/dungeon grind? Even if it is the latter, are the social/party elements fun and fluid?

I might just get a founder's pack!

It's a mixture of both honestly. Some areas can be huge (Moonwater Plains) while others have more of an instanced feel to it, but you can definitely run, jump, and fly in the world while taking in the beautiful scenery. The social/party elements are incredibly fun. Once you get in a dungeon with a party and figure out combo setups with other classes, you'll lose your mind. :)

Here's hoping you and your friends join us soon!

Kitoro

Thanks, SDBurton! You pretty much sold me.. Now to sell my friends!

How many players make up a party, by the way?

ShinMaruku

With windwalking and how certain quests are put around, I would say Blade and Soul is something that really promotes exploration. In the end game you do have to do some grinding but they have things spread all about the game. :)

Kitoro

Lastly, does this game use FFXIV first and last name conventions?

As in, can there be multiple players named Cloud so long as they have different last names?

SDBurton

Lastly, does this game use FFXIV first and last name conventions?

As in, can there be multiple players named Cloud so long as they have different last names?

One of the people on my friend's list (not in the guild) has the name Rema Dee. So I believe you should be fine.

NeoGAF photo time! :D

How do we access a model viewer like this for screenshots? So far I've only had screenshots from walking around but this looks like something I wanna use.

Sorry guys, I just can't help being this adorbs in my Christmas outfit :3

Since these characters are being wiped before launch, I wonder if we'll have to wait until December 2016 to see these outfits again ;_;

THEY ARE!?!? Aww man, so I shouldn't get so attached then :( At least it's good practice for the character creation.

SDBurton

How do we access a model viewer like this for screenshots? So far I've only had screenshots from walking around but this looks like something I wanna use.

What I did was hit alt+x to get rid of the UI, then scrolled my mouse wheel either up and down for zoom and focus, and then pressed and held down the mouse wheel to move the camera around. I would recommend installing IrfanView so you can create a keybind to take high quality screencaps, because the one in game is terrible. :lol

THEY ARE!?!? Aww man, so I shouldn't get so attached then :( At least it's good practice for the character creation.

Yep. I would definitely recommend those playing in this CBT4 and CBT5 to work on creating their ideal characters. That way you won't be hassled to do that during name reservation and possibly miss out on a name you wanted to use.

What I did was hit alt+x to get rid of the UI, then scrolled my mouse wheel either up and down for zoom and focus, and then pressed and held down the mouse wheel to move the camera around. I would recommend installing IrfanView so you can create a keybind to take high quality screencaps, because the one in game is terrible. :lol

Yep. I would definitely recommend those playing in this CBT4 and CBT5 to work on creating their ideal characters. That way you won't be hassled to do that during name reservation and possibly miss out on a name you wanted to use.

Thank you for the reply. I'll be sure to try this out when I get home.

Paprikka

Well lesson learned, don't be fighting as the servers go down or the game never exits, and you have to kill the process. First time I've never just been booted.

Was a good final night. Thanks to my fellow Gaffers, I cleared Blackram Narrows once and almost cleared it a second time. Got into a funny bidding war, that now that I think about it, probably was the reason why we didn't clear it the second time. ;/ Sorry!

Got my Assassin to 19, KFM is still 14 but he'll get some love next weekend if my key really is still good then.

Baalzebup

Lol, finally made it to Blackram narrows but the EU side was dead for the last few hours. I soloed pretty much everything up to that point, but there ain't no soloing that one. The swarm of foes in the kennel area was a bit too much.

I think I'll have to swing by the US servers to observe how bad the ping might get. My waking hours are so off-kilter that playing with NA people would likely make more sense than trying to find other crazy night-owls from EU.

-Deimos

Well lesson learned, don't be fighting as the servers go down or the game never exits, and you have to kill the process. First time I've never just been booted.

Same thing happened to me. At least I won the round.

The music that was playing was actually pretty cool so I stuck around for a bit while checking out some costumes. Some advice for people who like cool costumes, don't pick male Jin.

Paprikka

Was a good final night. Thanks to my fellow Gaffers, I cleared Blackram Narrows once and almost cleared it a second time. Got into a funny bidding war, that now that I think about it, probably was the reason why we didn't clear it the second time. ;/ Sorry!

Got my Assassin to 19, KFM is still 14 but he'll get some love next weekend if my key really is still good then.

Ha, that was me, was fun just seeing how high we were willing to go. Glad you were able to get in the instance and try it at least once before the servers went down tho.

Okay, now that I've actually seen a dungeon in this game, this game is super fun and I only want to play more of it. The solo content has too much fetch questing and meh but sometimes awesome things happen in the main story and also the party content seems super fun with a good group.

I'm seriously debating giving NCSOFT $75 to reserve my name. What the hell is wrong with me. It's just a name. Who cares. Bastards gating name reservation behind the $75 Founder's Pack is a stroke of cruel genius.

Ahahah I had the problem too. Lot of first times in this game, the client has a lot of technical issues. It's amazing how towns can bring my computer to it's knees because the engine is so poorly optimized and can't show 20 players at once without melting. It reminds me so much of Tera in that regard, another Unreal Engine 3 MMO.

Ha, that was me, was fun just seeing how high we were willing to go. Glad you were able to get in the instance and try it at least once before the servers went down tho.

Hahah yeah that's exactly what I was doing. Just upping for the sake of it. I totally didn't realize how much money I had either. When you upped it and it got to the 6 silver range I was like, "Oh shit. I don't even have that much!" and passed. Then when the game locked up I noticed I had 11 silver somehow. I guess that instance gives out a ton of money or something?

Edit: Would've been nice to clear it. 4 manning that thing with me underleveled would've been a nice feather in the cap. Oh well. 36% left til kill isn't shabby.

Someone should have told me Blade Master had a Iaido/Iajutsu stance and I would have tried them out sooner.

Right now I'm looking to choose between Blade Master, Kung Fu Master and Assassin for my class when the game releases in January.

Relevant.

Paprikka

Hahah yeah that's exactly what I was doing. Just upping for the sake of it. I totally didn't realize how much money I had either. When you upped it and it got to the 6 silver range I was like, "Oh shit. I don't even have that much!" and passed. Then when the game locked up I noticed I had 11 silver somehow. I guess that instance gives out a ton of money or something?

Well I think I ended up paying 6 silver or so in the end so I'm assuming you each got 2, but I'm not sure exactly how the auctions work. The other two dudes had left the area so maybe you got all of it.

Well I think I ended up paying 6 silver or so in the end so I'm assuming you each got 2, but I'm not sure exactly how the auctions work. The other two dudes had left the area so maybe you got all of it.

Oh what? So the bids go to the competitors? That's interesting. I thought it was just a way to do DKP without actually doing DKP while also being a money sink.

Then yeah, I guess it did go to me. Crazy. If it's true about the Razer keys carrying over to next weekend then I'll send it back your way.

If you guys haven't tried it, launch the game client with the servers down to enjoy the cool title screen. It's kind of weird that the only way to see this title screen is when the servers are down since it otherwise shows the accept license thing which covers it up.

Chariot

Bid auctions are actually pretty cool. Yes, the bid gets shared between everyone else. At some point I ran the Tomb just to make money from people bid warring over stuff. This system allows you to get richer and richer while not whinning smd ultimately gives you the tool to win ehat you eant later with all the moneyvwhen you didn't won.

Kitoro

I purchased the lowest Founder's Pack today, and am trying to figure out if it's worthwhile for me to step up to the second or third tier.

Do we have any reasonable idea as to how much the Premium Membership will cost per month? It seems like it would be beneficial to sub for a month or 3 just to obtain the higher level status.

What are the difference between gold coins and NCoins as far as using them in this game are concerned?

Also, I've heard much about last names being a thing in this game, leading me to believe that first names need not be unique ala FFXIV's similar naming convention, but in beta I was only asked to choose a first name, and it did actually have to be unique. What's the actual deal here?!

Thanks again!

I purchased the lowest Founder's Pack today, and am trying to figure out if it's worthwhile for me to step up to the second or third tier.

Do we have any reasonable idea as to how much the Premium Membership will cost per month? It seems like it would be beneficial to sub for a month or 3 just to obtain the higher level status.

What are the difference between gold coins and NCoins as far as using them in this game are concerned?

Also, I've heard much about last names being a thing in this game, leading me to believe that first names need not be unique ala FFXIV's similar naming convention, but in beta I was only asked to choose a first name, and it did actually have to be unique. What's the actual deal here?!

Thanks again!

Premium's probably 15 bucks? 10-15 is what I'd assume. Second pack is pretty decent because of name reservation and gives most of the added value in coins, which I know I'd buy some of anyway. Master pack value is much less interesting to me, lots of fluff there, so I'm sticking with the medium one. Premium will definitely be useful though, makes leveling less annoying(more xp on daillies, can sell anywhere, can buy a bunch of the stuff for the zone badges for less than the vendor etc) and you can afford weapons instead of playing the roulettes for the blue ones since you get copper drops from monsters very early on so saves you a bunch of time. Less so once you're at cap I think.

Not sure what gold coins you're referring to. If you mean the normal ingame currency, it's just that. NCoins let you buy stuff from the cash shop, costumes, premium, dual spec, inventory expansions and whatever else they end up putting on there(probably xp food, brilliant keys and such). There's a second type of coins, Hongmoon Coins, which are basically the same as NCoins, but acquirable via ingame means(mostly the daily dash thing).

Your name has to be unique. You don't however need a last name, you can just have a single word name, or multiple words. But you can't have the same name as someone else. You can for example have one of the words used in someone else's name as your name though. Mickey, Mouse and Mickey Mouse are 3 potential valid names, all different. Can't have several people named Mickey.

The thing about Premium seems to be that you can buy those Brilliant key things which guarantee a sealed chest pops out a weapon specific for your class. If you don't want to have to farm Blackram Narrows for instance to breakthrough your Hongmoon weapon at 20, it seems like you are forced to have a Premium.

So at least for the first month of launch, some people might find it worthwhile to have Premium just to save some farming while you're leveling. You apparently use your Hongmoon weapon from 1-45 until you attempt to get Legendaries.

Names are unique to the whole region, not per server. There can only be one Mickey in all of NA, and one in all of EU. I think this scarcity exists to "encourage" people to buy more $75 Founder's Packs. Ultimately, the $75 FP seems to break down to $15 value of 1 month Premium + $30 value of Ncoin = $45, which means you contribute only $30 to NCSOFT's Nexon Defense Fund if you were going to buy Premium and some Ncoin for costumes anyways.

Chariot

Nah, played CBT without premium, made it through fine without ever seeing a brilliant key. Everything important drops in dungeons and with some tenacity it's easy to get it all and along the way to make big bucks and get extra equipment. Farming for stuff isn't really that bad.

I got my Blight Sword in 2 runs, therefore when I try again after launch, it will take 20 runs. The RNG gods will make sure of this.

I really want to get to launch already, I wanna earn stuff and keep it!

The brilliant key thing for premium is only relevant for blackram really, cause it's only 20 badges so you can generally buy it right away if you do all the daillies in the first area, saves you a bunch of blackram runs. Once you get to the Cinderlands however, the key is like 60badges, which is several days of clearing every daily in the zone(and that eats into your daily limit pretty quickly), and you won't have near enough unless you play super casually so you end up doing dailies a lot in that zone.

If you plan on powerleveling hard for like the launch weekend or whatever, you'll do all of cinderlands in like a day, maybe 2, and you need like 3 with all the quests to buy a key(and iirc you need 2 keys for the whole thing, but I think you get a key from the surveys and what not). You'd be better off just grinding the dungeon, especially since you need a lot of the Tomb drops to upgrade the rest of your gear too(like 40 or so of the thingies?). Or you can just not upgrade your weapon at that point and keep it until 45, cause it's not very far and the pre Tomb upgrade one has a good proc.

Could be good for moonwater too, don't remember if they sell keys for these. Although once you're there, you're gonna be grinding dungeons and what not anyway, so doesn't change all that much.

SDBurton

Yeah, more likely then not it's going to be a good idea to grind dungeons, specifically Blackram Narrows (level 20), and Tomb of Exiles (level 36) as both drop soul shield pieces with incredible stats.

What I'm most curious about is the crafting systems and what's going to be useful. I see speculation that the profession that makes Soul Shields will be the most popular, primarily for it's money making ability but what I'd really like to know is which are useful at all and which really aren't.

Since I'm not all about amassing a fortune through controlling a market, I tend to just stick with professions that will be helpful to my class and to a lesser extent the guild. But it seems like nobody really discusses which professions actually do that, which is unfortunate.

Top Bottom