• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul |OT| Kiss From A Rose

NeOak

but at the same time as soon as I left the dungeon I was back to mashing buttons on the quest fodder until I stopped at around level 39 and switched to my mushin character which I'm playing now.

I just wish they'd put the same amount of danger in the pve outside dungeons.

Enemies start using counters and defense too later on.

Sorian

Banned
I'm at like, 17 breakthrough weapons I can't use while trying to get mine on that deva roulette. You can't even trade them. At this rate I'm going to run out of keys :/ Game really wants me to spend money I guess...

It's ok, the next breakthrough weapon is the same RNG but you have to run a whole dungeon before you get your 1 (maybe 2) weapon boxes.

KimChi

I was able to play a little bit earlier on mushin and stopped at lvl7, I'm confused about 1 thing regarding the soul shield.

I killed the stalker boss near the cemetery a couple times and got those soul shield packs from the wheel. Can we just toss the soul shield parts we have duplicates of? Kinda annoying they take up inventory space but oh well.

Also, what settings are you guys playing at? I have a gtx970 and the fps is usually going below 60. This is with the settings at 3, unchecking everything below post-processing and special effects.
I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram

I was able to play a little bit earlier on mushin and stopped at lvl7, I'm confused about 1 thing regarding the soul shield.

I killed the stalker boss near the cemetery a couple times and got those soul shield packs from the wheel. Can we just toss the soul shield parts we have duplicates of? Kinda annoying they take up inventory space but oh well.

Also, what settings are you guys playing at? I have a gtx970 and the fps is usually going below 60. This is with the settings at 3, unchecking everything below post-processing and special effects.
I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram

Yeah you can just salvage those pieces, you won't need them, but you may get some fusion powder.

Alrus

It's ok, the next breakthrough weapon is the same RNG but you have to run a whole dungeon before you get your 1 (maybe 2) weapon boxes.

Guess I'll spend the money on that one then, can't imagine running a dungeon over 20 times to get my stuff...

Bartux

Neo Member
I recommend not unlocking those treasure chests at the end of those mini-dungeons to cut back on the key consumption. Most of the time it's just a dumpling and/or health pot.

I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram

You can salvage them to get materials to upgrade the better soul shield that you find later on. Its not like with weapons which you don't need to dismantle to upgrade other weapons. You need both the shield and the mixing powder.

i5-6500K @ 4.1gHz
16 GB ram
Nvidia GTX 970

Have everything max and it runs smooth aside from a weird dip here and there.

KimChi

*Facepalm* I think I discarded some of them earlier completely forgetting we can salvage lol.
Yeah you can just salvage those pieces, you won't need them, but you may get some fusion powder.

You can salvage them to get materials to upgrade the better soul shield that you find later on. Its not like with weapons which you don't need to dismantle to upgrade other weapons.

i5-6500K @ 4.1gHz
16 GB ram
Nvidia GTX 970

Have everything max and it runs smooth aside from a weird dip here and there.
hmm, is it a something to do with my cpu then? Find it so weird I can't even get a stable 60fps for this game but warframe on the otherhand has no issue.

*Facepalm* I think I discarded some of them earlier completely forgetting we can salvage lol.

hmm, is it a something to do with my cpu then? Find it so weird I can't even get a stable 60fps for this game but warframe on the otherhand has no issue.

I figure it might have to do more with RAM, but the processor might be an issue, too. Just try bumping up the setting and try it out for a bit. If all else fails, just check the box where it says "optimize for combat".

I know it's down to personal preference but I'm torn on what class to choose. Which do you prefer and why.

I'm torn between Assassin, Kung-Fu and maybe Blade Master just for the swords.

Hubb

They still last like 4 seconds until they're dead.

Trash mobs really don't get any better outside of doing more damage if you aren't paying a little attention. Dungeons so far have been ok. I've only done the 3 easiest, they are short, sweet, and to the point. If you have 6 people who have no idea what they are doing wiping is very possible. Doing Brightstone Ruins with a bunch of 44s I wiped a few times.

what are people doing with their Locked Stalker Weapon chests after getting their breakthrough weapon?

Unless you are interested in something else out of it, I usually sell mine.

I'm torn between Assassin, Kung-Fu and maybe Blade Master just for the swords.

The answer is Blade Dancer because mowing dudes down as a little furry whirlwind never, ever gets old.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the gameplay more than I thought I would so far. I'm still not sure what I think of those oil sliders and boob physics, but at least it hasn't been too obnoxious on most of the NPCs (so far). If nothing else, the environments are goddamn gorgeous:

http://i.imgur.com/HUll7hV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7IIasYr.jpg

It does feel a lot more than I thought it would like running around inside a Guo Xi painting. Still images don't really do it justice. The zone art team nailed it.

Anyway, if I want to take The GAF Plunge for this particular game, how do you go about doing it at this point? The Discord link seems to have expired. I did get onto Mushin, at any rate, so.

Chariot

Huff. Reached Level 43. Tomorrow I'll get max level and try to farm some money for the now ridiculously expensive upgrades.

NeOak

I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram
It is CPU, and also the lower settings don't load the GPU as much. Leave it to what the game gives you by default instead of lowering it.

Look into overclocking your CPU to at least 4.0Ghz. This is an UE3 game, so single thread performance matters.

I have a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz and a 7970 GE. I get higher frames at preset 5.

KimChi

It is CPU, and also the lower settings don't load the GPU as much. Leave it to what the game gives you by default instead of lowering it.

Look into overclocking your CPU to at least 4.0Ghz. This is an UE3 game, so single thread performance matters.

Thanks, will take a look into overclocking soon.

Vex_

Banned
The answer is Blade Dancer because mowing dudes down as a little furry whirlwind never, ever gets old.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the gameplay more than I thought I would so far. I'm still not sure what I think of those oil sliders and boob physics, but at least it hasn't been too obnoxious on most of the NPCs (so far). If nothing else, the environments are goddamn gorgeous:

http://i.imgur.com/HUll7hV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7IIasYr.jpg

It does feel a lot more than I thought it would like running around inside a Guo Xi painting. Still images don't really do it justice. The zone art team nailed it.

Anyway, if I want to take The GAF Plunge for this particular game, how do you go about doing it at this point? The Discord link seems to have expired. I did get onto Mushin, at any rate, so.

quote to reveal discord link? is that how we do that here guys? not sure. but want to be safe jic.

Uthred

Damn didnt notice the goss sliders, was wondering why my character looking so "slick". Having TERA issues with Blade&Soul i.e. it can be hard to make female characters look cool and casters have the least visible weapon.

I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram

I have the same card but an i7, 16gb of ram, and running off an ssd. I play smooth on max. I hear its processor intensive.

It took them like 3 months to add the AFK auto-kick to FFXIV. It's funny how glacial the pace of development is in that game and how long I tolerated it. I mean after 2 years they are just now talking about implementing a UI that works with 4K resolution in FFXIV.

mkenyon

Banned

ty for restating this

It's the only way to get decent performance out of UE3. Watch your FPS drop like crazy whenever physics stuff happen, UE3 is so awful at it.

Please just go away UE3.
Thanks, will take a look into overclocking soon.
You can probably put it to at least 4.0 GHz without a bump in voltage, would take maybe 5 minutes to figure out how to do that on your specific mobo. If you want to go further, go here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

The 4.2-4.6 range (4.2-4.4 for your Haswell proc) is the point where UE3 seems to keep most frames below 16.7ms, with a pretty steady 8.3ms-10ms frame time.

Vex_

Banned
hey guys. i just read this?

Atheyana said:
http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/126486-switching-graphic-control/

This is a two part step to maximize performance and to create more stable FPS. This mitigates FPS issues but doesn't completely remove them.

Part 1:
Open nVidia Control Panel
Click the "Adjust image settings with preview" tab under 3D Settings section
On the right window you will see "Use the advanced 3D image settings" bubble (Check this bubble)
Click "Take me there" and you will see Global Settings. Adjust this until you get the best performance for your PC
Ensure the programs you are running is utilizing Global Settings not it's own settings

Part 2:
Go to Configure Surround, PhysX
On right panel you will see "PhysX settings"
Set the Processor to run your nVidia GeForce card instead of CPU

The above should help improve FPS by making it more stable and will work for all games not just Blade & Soul. This method only works on nVidia cards so not sure the process for AMD cards.

I've been trying this out and maybe I am just imagining things, but my fps is even smoother. There are times where I get 80+ fps? Obviously in crowded areas my stuff tanks tho. I am wondering if anyone else is running there game like this?

mkenyon

Banned
I have the same card but an i7, 16gb of ram, and running off an ssd. I play smooth on max. I hear its processor intensive.
Unless you're on a 4970K, the i7 won't offer anything over an i5 at stock clocks. 4970K basically runs at 4.2GHz out of the box. Get the i5 there and they'll be identical.

_Legacy_

Really loving this game so far, even at the low levels. The combat is different, especially as an assassin.

I'm only a level 4 scrub, is it still possible to get a clan invite? My name is Black Claud and I'm from Windrest.

Rising_Hei

The queues for this game are insane, i know that they have to make money somehow, but not many people is willing to sit there for 2 hours doing nothing just to play, they'll bitch, if people then don't speak good things about the game, less people will come play it and less people will pay for the premium things. Ncsoft should reconsider many things

mkenyon

Banned
The queues for this game are insane, i know that they have to make money somehow, but not many people is willing to sit there for 2 hours doing nothing just to play, they'll bitch, if people then don't speak good things about the game, less people will come play it and less people will pay for the premium things. Ncsoft should reconsider many things
They just need to start kicking people who are AFK. It'll solve the problem instantly. No one is logging out, they just leave it running in the background so they don't get kicked.

It's a Prisoner's Dilema.

KimChi

ty for restating this

It's the only way to get decent performance out of UE3. Watch your FPS drop like crazy whenever physics stuff happen, UE3 is so awful at it.

Please just go away UE3.

You can probably put it to at least 4.0 GHz without a bump in voltage, would take maybe 5 minutes to figure out how to do that on your specific mobo. If you want to go further, go here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

The 4.2-4.6 range (4.2-4.4 for your Haswell proc) is the point where UE3 seems to keep most frames below 16.7ms, with a pretty steady 8.3ms-10ms frame time.

much appreciated, haven't ever done overclocking before.

Vex_

Banned
we waitin boyz

4XVNO0a.png

so uhhh anyone wanna play hearthstone or something in the meantime lol Or make some tea and watch a movie?

Kudo

I have an
i5-4670k @3.40ghz
8gb ram

GTX 780, i7-6700k, 16gb ddr4 and installed on HDD, playing on 1440p.
I get 50-60fps most of the time with some dips in loading spots, and if I unlock the fps depending on are it goes up to 70-120fps but usually stays 50 or above.
I wonder what could I do myself to make the game run consistent 60? Maybe it's just not optimized that well for 1440p, or my GPU doesn't have enough memory?

Maybesew

we waitin boyz

so uhhh anyone wanna play hearthstone or something in the meantime lol Or make some tea and watch a movie?

Last night I logged in when I got home from work. I ate dinner, played some divinity original sin, then some friends logged into PS4, and for some reason they are starting destiny. So I took them thru the first few story missions, and we danced in front of a shadow making shadow puppets for about ten minutes. After several hours of gaming, I was about ready to go to bed, but then checked my PC and saw that there were only 12 people left in front of me in queue. So I played a few hours of blade and soul. Tonight may be no different.

Sölf

Aaaaand I got disconnected. Welp, so that was what, an hour maybe? Well, at least I reached level 10. But getting a disconnect in the middle of a lengthy story quest sucks.

Quonny

Implement a much needed AFK timer but then not reset the server.

Really. Just take it down for 2 minutes and everything will be better.

Vex_

Banned
Implement a much needed AFK timer but then not reset the server.

Really. Just take it down for 2 minutes and everything will be better.

Im guessing they will have to take it down for a server maintenance soon anyhows. Dont most mmos have weekly server maintenance?

mkenyon

Banned
GTX 780, i7-6700k, 16gb ddr4 and installed on HDD, playing on 1440p.
I get 50-60fps most of the time with some dips in loading spots, and if I unlock the fps depending on are it goes up to 70-120fps but usually stays 50 or above.
I wonder what could I do myself to make the game run consistent 60? Maybe it's just not optimized that well for 1440p, or my GPU doesn't have enough memory?
Overclock your processor to 4.0-4.6 GHz.

UE3 was designed to run on the 360 at 30 FPS, basically. Tacking more and more "next gen" stuff on top is a lot for two processes to handle, so it's extremely dependent on per-thread performance.

Top Bottom