• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul |OT| Kiss From A Rose

Out of curiosity, how did you guys decide on the Mushin server? And what website or info did you use to judge this on?

I'm asking because this is, literally, the first MMO I've ever played (Warcraft never interested me, nor any others for various reasons). So I don't know what the impact of server choice is, especially with this game since it seems switching servers isn't an option after you've made your character.

I just chose the first server on the list yesterday (Iksanun or something) and successfully logged in. Is there a chance a server will become a ghost town and get shut down? Will they let players migrate over to another server if/when that happens?

Realistically I probably won't get around to properly playing this for a few weeks, so I'll delete my current character anyways. But what's the best way to choose a server for the long run?

Out of curiosity, how did you guys decide on the Mushin server? And what website or info did you use to judge this on?

I'm asking because this is, literally, the first MMO I've ever played (Warcraft never interested me, nor any others for various reasons). So I don't know what the impact of server choice is, especially with this game since it seems switching servers isn't an option after you've made your character.

I just chose the first server on the list yesterday (Iksanun or something) and successfully logged in. Is there a chance a server will become a ghost town and get shut down? Will they let players migrate over to another server if/when that happens?

Realistically I probably won't get around to properly playing this for a few weeks, so I'll delete my current character anyways. But what's the best way to choose a server for the long run?

If servers become too dead, they'll start merging servers. You never have to worry about your character just being on a server that gets shut down.

As far as choosing servers, just wait for the community you want to play with to decide on one.

I knew GAF was on Mushin but I didn't care to wait, so I rolled elsewhere.

So whats the verdict for ping challenged players? Should I just give up, or are some of the classes ok to play despite high ping? I've heard the Force Master is alright, but I was hoping at least one of the melee classes would be too, since this is a martial arts MMO.

Also, how does one join the GAF guild?

Chariot

Server is down :(
I want some of those cosmetic outfits on the store pretty bad, but I don't want to pay for them
You can craft Hongmoon coins with ingame currency to buy costumes, right? You can buy basically everything but premium with it, as far as I have seen.
So whats the verdict for ping challenged players? Should I just give up, or are some of the classes ok to play despite high ping? I've heard the Force Master is alright, but I was hoping at least one of the melee classes would be too, since this is a martial arts MMO.

Kungfu Master is pretty bad with high ping, but everything else should be fine.

I've read Destroyers are fine at high ping unless you're going for optimum ani-cancels.

As for the GAF guild, join the faction they're in and then ask for an invite in here. I'm not even on the same server so I can't help; not sure what faction they are.

You can craft Hongmoon coins with ingame currency to buy costumes, right? You can buy basically everything but premium with it, as far as I have seen.Kungfu Master is pretty bad with low ping, but everything else should be fine.

You mean high ping?

Psyren

Depending on the server location in the EU i'll be playing at around 150-220 ping (I really should switch ISPs again, i should gain some more on the latency front).

I don't really intend on playing any hardcore endgame content in this game, but will i be okay for max-leveling + getting best buyable gear?

Chariot

Really?
I didn't know that, that's cool.
I need to look into it against myself once the servers are up again, but in the CBT it was like 1 gold to 1 Hongmoon Coin. The Hongmoon Store has multiple tabs, one for premium, on for Hongmoon Coins.

oh, the servers are down? I thought my game was just broken because it wouldn't load characters
Maintenance. Probably kicking out the cumulated afklers from the last days :,D
But they oughta bet doing something against the bots. Just pay someone to ban anyone spamming gold farm sites in the faction chats.

Ricker

Maintenance...? damn,this is the only hour I can play without a queue before heading out...oh well.So there's a max number to guilds and Believe on Mushin is full...? well put Thaur on the waiting list anyway,currently on Cho but will make a guy on Mushin when I can...

Maintenance. Probably kicking out the cumulated afklers from the last days :,D
But they oughta bet doing something against the bots. Just pay someone to ban anyone spamming gold farm sites in the faction chats.

They're also adding 4 new NA servers and 2 new EU servers during the maintenance.

Chariot

Maintenance...? damn,this is the only hour I can play without a queue before heading out...oh well.So there's a max number to guilds and Believe on Mushin is full...? well put Thaur on the waiting list anyway,currently on Cho but will make a guy on Mushin when I can...
Yeah, you can raise the member limit with upgrades, but those are expensive and not many people are probably at the point where they can spare the resources.

They're also adding 4 new NA servers and 2 new EU servers during the maintenance.
They need to make the main servers bigger, if that's possible. People are in the first place scared to go on servers that might end up dead in a few weeks.

Psyren

Depending on the server location in the EU i'll be playing at around 150-220 ping (I really should switch ISPs again, i should gain some more on the latency front).

I don't really intend on playing any hardcore endgame content in this game, but will i be okay for max-leveling + getting best buyable gear?

Anyone?

Yeah seriously, this is the one time I actually thought I might have a chance to play. Guess it makes sense for them to take the servers down now though since there's slightly less traffic now.

Fuz

Banned
Allowing only 2 characters per account, in a game where you can create infinite free accounts is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
The game is quite good, the combat is fantastic, but it's PLAGUED by the classic korean grindy MMO annoyances. Enormous number of weird objects that clutter your inventory tied to complicated mechanics, for starters.
Speaking of which, any way to store the soul shields out of the bags? Do I have to keep every single set in my bank?
Also, what to do with exceeding pieces?

Hubb

Server is down :(
I want some of those cosmetic outfits on the store pretty bad, but I don't want to pay for them

Check out some of the already in game costumes, I thought I was going to buy a costume or two (and the Christmas one is still calling for me) but I've been collecting the ones available in game instead. There are some really good ones, and even better costumes will be coming both in game and in the cash shop.

Allowing only 2 characters per account, in a game where you can create infinite free accounts is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
The game is quite good, the combat is fantastic, but it's PLAGUED by the classic korean grindy MMO annoyances. Enormous number of weird objects that clutter your inventory tied to complicated mechanics, for starters.
Speaking of which, any way to store the soul shields out of the bags? Do I have to keep every single set in my bank?

At a low level like below 20, just sell them. The percentage chance they turn into dust just isn't worth the time. After that, just start salvaging any piece you get that you won't use. There isn't any reason before cap to hold on to any, you shouldn't be wasting money fusing them together at that point.

As far as inventory goes, it is definitely the worst part. Chests, once you get the item you need (usually your weapon, but sometimes an accessory) just sell the leftovers. They aren't worth using the key on, though there are some boxes that drop blue sellable weapons, check the martetplace for the going rate on those weapons and see if it is worth using a key on though as time goes on the weapons will drop in price. The revival/mass revival items you get and the teleport items you get are pretty useless and if you need to free up inventory you can either use em or sell them. Potions and food, this may be different if you are crafting them, but for the most part the standard potion and dumpling are your go to items. The other one's you pick up during your leveling and rewards from quests aren't worth holding on to and taking a space up in your bank, use em or sell them. This may change at cap if you get food that provides buffs, but for the most part dumpling + healing potion is all you need.

The gems that you use to upgrade weapons and accessories, you want to save the green ones. Upgrading gets real expensive and exp is pitiful later on. The green gems are great at later levels but you only get so many so you don't want to blow them at low levels. Purple/red (I think check the gem) are 1-36 so make sure you use them when you weapon/accessories get close to 36.

Any piece of equipment that isn't listed as a breakthrough item use to upgrade your gear asap, there really isn't much point in holding onto items that you can't use to breakthrough. Untradeable equipment that is breakthrough but not for your class is the same, use it as fodder to upgrade your gear.

At a low level like below 20, just sell them. The percentage chance they turn into dust just isn't worth the time. After that, just start salvaging any piece you get that you won't use. There isn't any reason before cap to hold on to any, you shouldn't be wasting money fusing them together at that point.

Selling them makes no sense without salvaging. They sell for 1 copper each and the broken pieces of stuff you get for failing to salvage fusion powder also sells for 1 copper each. There's literally no penalty for salvaging.

Sakura

Check out some of the already in game costumes, I thought I was going to buy a costume or two (and the Christmas one is still calling for me) but I've been collecting the ones available in game instead. There are some really good ones, and even better costumes will be coming both in game and in the cash shop.

That's good to hear. I haven't had much of a chance to check out much of the game yet. Was going to play tonight, but alas...

Chariot

Just salvage soulshields you don't equip.

Spruchy

Crimson Legion vs. Cerulean Order PvP in a nutshell

sports.png

Amazingly on-point.

Fuz

Banned
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Selling them makes no sense without salvaging. They sell for 1 copper each and the broken pieces of stuff you get for failing to salvage fusion powder also sells for 1 copper each. There's literally no penalty for salvaging.

Except it's EXTREMELY time consuming, since it takes a few clicks, a few seconds and you can only do one piece at a time.
Goddammit Korea, why do you always have to be this way?

Alrus

Yeah tbh, I wouldn't waste time salvaging shields part before the golden deva ones (around lvl 28 I think?), it's not worth the time if you don't have much of it(especially for the blue/purple ones where you have to confirm each pieces). After all, getting powder is super easy/fast with the free ones you get killing world bosses past lvl 28, I doubt the dozen or so powders you get before that are really worth it.

Is EU still down? Just downloaded but.. :(

Weekly maintenance, still at least 1 and a half hour before they go back up.

arimanius

I'm having a hard time picking a class. Got my sin to 25 but it can be frustrating at times. Specially in groups. How are FM at max level? I've read they are pretty weak until the level cap gets moved to 50.

MadGear

Since I'm not supposed to use these upgrade gems yet, how do you guys manage to upgrade your accessories early on (<lvl20)? I'm getting a few weapon drops so maxing out my weapon is hardly an issue (at least for now) but I'm struggling to upgrade even one of my accessories because I rarely get any items to sacrifice.

Chariot

Since I'm not supposed to use these upgrade gems yet, how do you guys manage to upgrade your accessories early on (<lvl20)? I'm getting a few weapon drops so maxing out my weapon is hardly an issue (at least for now) but I'm struggling to upgrade even one of my accessories because I rarely get any items to sacrifice.
Look closely at the description of your upgrade gems. Most give flat weapon/equip exp, so it doesn't really matter when you use them. That said, I didn't use most because I am a hoarder and was fine wit just throwing all the crap in I got dropped, you don't need to be absolutely up to date. Just push forward and if you really hurt for items, run dungeons like Blackram Narrows and Tomb of Exiles and try to bid cheaply on accessories, like a few coppers. Few people want to fight over a piece of upgrade stuff and you can collect other stuff too.

If you ran Blackram Narrows 10 times you get also a 400hp bonus, so it's worth doing it anyway.

Alrus

^Huh, I didn't know that, I got my weapon on my first go so I never bother to run it again. I'm way overleveled for it now, wonder if I can just solo it.

Near Jade Rock village, there's a cave with a ton of mites in them, the boss at the end drops a plague necklace 100% (at least it did for me) and it takes at most 5 minutes to run through. I just farmed that for a bit (it's required to upgrade your hongmoon necklace anyway). Otherwise I just use the other jewels that drop from monsters while questing.

Farm vilray in Yutay lair the ring he drops is good for lvling all rings,necks and earrings..

Chariot

^Huh, I didn't know that, I got my weapon on my first go so I never bother to run it again. I'm way overleveled for it now, wonder if I can just solo it.
Take a look in the achievement menu (U), you will see half a dozen achievements that give a stat bonus, though you can only have one active at a time and it'S opt-in. Don't forget to actually activate it, after achieving them.

Near Jade Rock village, there's a cave with a ton of mites in them, the boss at the end drops a plague necklace 100% (at least it did for me) and it takes at most 5 minutes to run through. I just farmed that for a bit (it's required to upgrade your hongmoon necklace anyway). Otherwise I just use the other jewels that drop from monsters while questing.
It's daily also drops Viridian Poison, something Merry Potters need.
Chariot is there still space in the EU guild on Windrest? :eek: I'm thinking of making a second character today (If I can :p) and then joining GAF :)
Of course, just give me your name and I'll add you once the servers are back.

MadGear

Thanks guys, this should definitely help me. I'm actually glad that the servers are down right now, still need to get some stuff done before I start playing ;)

Of course, just give me your name and I'll add you once the servers are back.

Thanks, like said I would have to make the character first. With my KFM I'm in the guild of a RL friend but it's more of a collection of people he knows than a real guild so I want to take the opportunity and play with GAF for once. That is assuming that I can be in two different guilds with two characters, can I?

Zand

Neo Member
Really?
I didn't know that, that's cool.

You can only craft Hongmoon Coin IF you have Premium membership, also the item you need to start the craft process (Venture Token) seems to be exceedingly rare...I've yet to have one drop from any box its been listed as a reward.

Alrus

Take a look in the achievement menu (U), you will see half a dozen achievements that give a stat bonus, though you can only have one active at a time and it'S opt-in. Don't forget to actually activate it, after achieving them.

It's daily also drops Viridian Poison, something Merry Potters need.Of course, just give me your name and I'll add you once the servers are back.

Will check the achievement, more HP is never bad.

Also thanks for the tip for viridian poison, I'm running out of them crafting the upgrade stones (which sell really really fast and I don't get why, iirc you get enough to upgrade your stuff without having to buy more).

Sakura

You can only craft Hongmoon Coin IF you have Premium membership, also the item you need to start the craft process (Venture Token) seems to be exceedingly rare...I've yet to have one drop from any box its been listed as a reward.

Oh :(
Never mind then.

Kyne

How bad are the queue times, for getting in?

at the moment, probably 30-60 mins for peak hours and 15~ mins for non peak hours.. and that's on every server.

They are adding new servers (right now) and also added an AFK timer which should alleviate some of the congestion.

at the moment, probably 30-60 mins for peak hours and 15~ mins for non peak hours.. and that's on every server.

They are adding new servers (right now) and also added an AFK timer which should alleviate some of the congestion.

30-60 minutes? I'd love to be on those servers. Peak hours, Old Man Cho queue is 4-6 hours.

Oh that is not that bad, yeah i heard they where adding servers. And the afk timer should help.
Wait yeah where those for free or premium?

cHinzo

How do those professions exactly work? Do u need to craft a lot of items to level up ur profession so u get to craft better items or something like in the other MMOs or does it work differently here?

Top Bottom