• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

RoeBear

I'm working to repair the reputation of Noel players everywhere. I was even called a "sophisticated Noel" the other day. :p

Also due to the changes to her drive it's a lot easier to drop combo's with it if you are just spamming.

If anyone wants to play right now hit me up on PSN.

I won't even hit up practice mode let's do it!

Dremark

Banned
I just got delivery confirmation on my copy. I'll be home in a couple of hours and I'm going to play the crap out of this.

Fugu

I'm working to repair the reputation of Noel players everywhere. I was even called a "sophisticated Noel" the other day. :p

Also due to the changes to her drive it's a lot easier to drop combo's with it if you are just spamming.

If anyone wants to play right now hit me up on PSN.
The issue with Noel has never been her baby-level execution. I mean, this is annoying considering many characters (*cough* Litchi *cough*) do a lot more work for a lot less damage but Ragna has always been a bigger deal in that regard.

The big issue with Noel (and the origin of the drive spam complaints) is that Noel's drives all have bizarre properties that are unique to Noel and are not accurately illustrated by the game. This makes a lot of them very spammable (4D in CSEX, 6D in pretty much every revision, 2D sometimes) in situations where other characters are required to think. Her drives must be baited properly, and many of them can punish their own bait, requiring two correct guesses. Yes, Noel is not an amazing character because she can be punished very hard and has lots of gaping weaknesses, but she is very, very frustrating to play against because of the properties of her drives and the way they take a lot of the thought out of playing an offensive game. This is just exacerbated by her "hit 'em low and take 'em to the corner" gameplan advocated by her CSEX design.

I've said it before; CSEX Noel is probably the worst designed fighting game character in any fighting game I've ever played. I sure hope they've done something about that.

EDIT: I think the best (and most ridiculous) example of this is 4D > Crossup followup. This allows you to anti-air for free, requires your opponent to read a punish-punish and block the other way, and even counts as a good hitconfirm if you're close enough to the corner. This option is so good and also gets you an ass ton of damage.

FSLink

Banned
So apologizes if it's been posted but is there an extensive and detailed change list from Extend to CP?
I know of the simple stuff like new moves, Overdrive replacing Gold Burst, and such.

Rhapsody

Banned
Wish I could play with some of you guys. But I'm always too busy with school work Mon-Fri to even just boot up my PS3.
I've said it before; CSEX Noel is probably the worst designed fighting game character in any fighting game I've ever played. I sure hope they've done something about that.

EDIT: I think the best (and most ridiculous) example of this is 4D > Crossup followup. This allows you to anti-air for free, requires your opponent to read a punish-punish and block the other way, and even counts as a good hitconfirm if you're close enough to the corner. This option is so good and also gets you an ass ton of damage.
I'm still annoyed by how CT and CS1 Noels were. Their gameplan was just to yolo all day by drive invul, 6B, or 3C.
2D in CT being an overhead was pretty dumb, but CS2 and on's j.4D pretty much replaced that on being dumb along with taking a guard primer in CS2 (?)

Extend did annoy me too (actually every Noel iteration annoyed me). A lot of players would just guess and disrespect all day.
It doesn't help that she's not fundamentally well designed for a fighting game imo by her moveset and gatlings.
So apologizes if it's been posted but is there an extensive and detailed change list from Extend to CP?
I know of the simple stuff like new moves, Overdrive replacing Gold Burst, and such.
There's the DL wiki http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=BlazBlue:_Chrono_Phantasma

vocab

I have been playing more terumi and benched relius. Relius is a lot of training of the brain, and is generally just exhausting to learn. Also amane drill chip spam may be the dumbest thing in the game. Ya, barrier, I know. It's still dumb.

Onemic

My passionate hatred for Noel continues to shine.

ggs poorfate, Sorry I couldn't be much of a match, I only messed with a few characters trials and I guess this is my first real foray into BB since my playtime with Extend is virtually non existent.

Are any of Noels drive moves punishable btw? They all seem safe and the ones that should be negative all seem like they can be canceled a quick low or overhead into tons of dmg pretty much making everything she does safe. Also, how do you block her drive mixups? There a few drive moves that go low or overhead and her drive overhead seems to not even come out slow like her non-drive overhead and most other BB characters overheads.

I tried joining that last match, but pressing x wasnt doing anything and then it looked like the lobby eneded or I got kicked.

Rhapsody

Banned

ggs poorfate, Sorry I couldn't be much of a match, I only messed with a few characters trials and I guess this is my first real foray into BB since my playtime with Extend is virtually non existent.

Are any of Noels drive moves punishable btw? They all seem safe and the ones that should be negative all seem like they can be canceled a quick low or overhead into tons of dmg pretty much making everything she does safe. Also, how do you block her drive mixups? There a few drive moves that go low or overhead and her drive overhead seems to not even come out slow like her non-drive overhead and most other BB characters overheads.

I tried joining that last match, but pressing x wasnt doing anything and then it looked like the lobby eneded or I got kicked.
It's possible the frame data changed (haven't looked at Noel's yet) but a lot of Noel players seem to do drive blockstrings with gaps in them that can be DPed out of. 6D is her low while d.6B is her high. The rest can be blocked normally. Good Noels will know when to safely end their drive string. If they're doing something like Bloom Trigger, it's minus on block but you'll have to IB the hit to negate the pushback it does. BBCP Noel's probably end pressure with something else, so I can't help you on that until I see it.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm going to hate the mirror matches. I already don't like mirror matches and Rachel's are on a different level.

I'm pretty sure every Rachel main out there hates the mirror match, myself included lol

Getting lobelia'ed while doing yours and losing a pumpkin or frog is such a huge deficit...

Fugu

Updated for new page:
WHEEL OF FATE-TURNERS A.K.A. GAF'S OFFICIAL LIST OF LOSERS
Code:
GAF                  PSN           MAIN
Fugu         	     Fygu          Litchi
Hao Chi      	     hao-chi       Litchi (I think?)
Qistoptier   	     Qistoptier    Mu or Makoto?
Prototype-03 	     Prototype-03  Rachel
RoeBear      	     Roe-Bear      Clover family
FluxWaveZ    	     FluxWaveZ     Mu [citation needed]
CJ_Iwakura   	     CJ_Iwakura    Tsubaki
Rhapsody     	     Rhapzody_     Rachel
SolarKnight  	     SolarKnightR  Mu
VanillaCakeIsBurning Mondos123     Guessing Noel
Master Milk          Platinum_Milk Platinum Platinum
ApolloJoh            ApolloJoe400  Litchi, also plays Ragna
Keasar               Keasar        Tager
Kincaido             Kincaido      Izayoi and Jin
3Kaze                T2_Kaze       Relius
Ken                  ???           Bullet
Karsius              Onem1c        Hakumen/Izayoi
Lyte Edge            lyteedge2     Tager

Drives can be cancelled into other drives which make many of them not punishable or not feasible to punish. However, you can *always* punish the last move of a drive string, as they are incredibly unsafe.

Also, most of her drives have wacky properties that you must be aware of when attempting to DP them. The characters with the shittier DPs will see their DPs lose to 4D, for example.

Onemic

Updated for new page:
Code:

Drives can be cancelled into other drives which make many of them not punishable or not feasible to punish. However, you can *always* punish the last move of a drive string, as they are incredibly unsafe.

Also, most of her drives have wacky properties that you must be aware of when attempting to DP them. The characters with the shittier DPs will see their DPs lose to 4D, for example.

I use Izayoi and Hakumen though.

I guess I should add myself to the list:

PSN: onem1c
Main: Hakumen/Izayoi

Wunderdoo

Neo Member
I really like being in the 64 man lobbies, so hoping the other regions areas fill up a bit when the game gets released everywhere else.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
PSN: lyteedge2

I guess I'd have to go with Iron Tager as my main and Litchi as an alternate. Still not sure if I want to use anyone new yet. I only messed with Bullet (weird) and Azrael (seems fun) for a bit.

Was also surprised to see so many importers online in the lobbies and also how many people don't seem to understand what Tager's magnetization does. Made it easy to hit some 360s, lol.

Fugu

I use Izayoi and Hakumen though.

I guess I should add myself to the list:

PSN: onem1c
Main: Hakumen/Izayoi
Updated.

OUTDATED INFORMATION INCOMING, DEFINITELY NOT SURE IF APPLICABLE TO CP
Hakumen has a really, really strong option against Noel: 2D. Noel really depends on low hits to get damage so you'll see her fish for them a lot.

My copy is in tomorrow, but I'm going to be doing mostly training mode until Wednesday. I feel like organizing some sort of GAF lobby; who would be interested in playing Wednesday around 4:00 PM EDT?

L.O.R.D

Amane_Nishiki_%28Chronophantasma%2C_Character_Select_Artwork%29.png

134948399021.jpg

seriously ...WTF ?

The issue with Noel has never been her baby-level execution. I mean, this is annoying considering many characters (*cough* Litchi *cough*) do a lot more work for a lot less damage but Ragna has always been a bigger deal in that regard.

The big issue with Noel (and the origin of the drive spam complaints) is that Noel's drives all have bizarre properties that are unique to Noel and are not accurately illustrated by the game. This makes a lot of them very spammable (4D in CSEX, 6D in pretty much every revision, 2D sometimes) in situations where other characters are required to think. Her drives must be baited properly, and many of them can punish their own bait, requiring two correct guesses. Yes, Noel is not an amazing character because she can be punished very hard and has lots of gaping weaknesses, but she is very, very frustrating to play against because of the properties of her drives and the way they take a lot of the thought out of playing an offensive game. This is just exacerbated by her "hit 'em low and take 'em to the corner" gameplan advocated by her CSEX design.

I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be. Noel's drive is something you can pick up on just from using the character for a while. In the same way that you play other characters to learn what they are capable of. Some things you have to look up if you want to know how much invincibility move A or B has which is the same thing you do for other characters. I can't say I've been able to throw them out without thinking against good opponents. 4D for example is only good versus attacks that hit mid. If you just throw it out and they hit low or use something in the air then you will get counter hit. As an anti-air it only works if you react to it early, which makes sense for any attack that can be used as an anti-air. Since I know how most of her moves work I don't find it frustrating to play against her. That spot is reserved for Taokaka's Unlimited Blockstring Works. I imagine I would have an easier time playing against Tao's if I picked up the character for a while (to learn her moves/capabilites). Noel has more mid-game options now so I'm not sure working in the corner is emphasized more this time around. Getting your opponent to the corner is a benefit for all characters so I'm not sure why pushing someone to the corner with Noel is considered a negative.

As for your edit part, the only way that makes sense to me is if they block the 4D, since if they don't then there's no way to get crossed up since 214D can combo from 4D. If you d.214D after 4D then your opponent can easily jab you out of it when you make it to the other side as it is unsafe.

The only drive move that is an overhead is the axe kick (d6B). Everything else is mid with one low being the sweep kick (6D). Basically block low and watch for the axe kick/heel drop.

My hardest matchup so far is against Ragna since he can just instant divider out of your drive. I'm not sure if there's a drive string that he can't divide out of.

I made a new room and sent invites but I guess it bugged out. That Tao player massacred me. I tend to press buttons while blocking so I got CH'd a lot. The key to being able to do anything in that match is to block forever until they eventually make a mistake. Against a good Tao you really need good blocking/throw break skills.

If you want to get out of it easy you just need one move with quick startup like Ragna's divider. Depending on proximity a jab can work as well.

hao chi

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but while it does, I want to compile a list of import PSNs so I don't have to play 200ms+ matches with the Japanese like I did when I imported CS.

If I missed anyone, post the relevant information.
I made a lot of your mains up and I probably missed at least a few people so please let me know what to correct.

EDIT: Also, if you're on the list and you didn't import let me know so I can flag you as such.

Yeah, I main (a very scrubby) Litchi. I feel like I already have a lot more figured out for her in CP than CSE though.

Onemic

Just got the game... Now to wait until work is over.

edit: what is up with the numbers of imports on this game??

No one wants to wait

The avatar lobby system they implemented is great in finding other NA players. The one populated lobby in NA usually has around 50+ players in it.

Ken

Updated for new page:
Code:
Karsius              Onem1c        Hakumen/Izayoi
Lyte Edge            lyteedge2     Tager

want me to toss that into the OP somewhere?

hopefully picking up my copy today from the post office D: !!!!

Fugu

I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be. Noel's drive is something you can pick up on just from using the character for a while. In the same way that you play other characters to learn what they are capable of. Some things you have to look up if you want to know how much invincibility move A or B has which is the same thing you do for other characters. I can't say I've been able to throw them out without thinking against good opponents. 4D for example is only good versus attacks that hit mid. If you just throw it out and they hit low or use something in the air then you will get counter hit.
It's also good against attacks that hit high, making it an anti-air. Most anti-airs have tiny range or are wildly unsafe; 4D is neither. It also gets big damage (okay) and has safe gatlings which, again, most anti-airs lack. The big issue, however, is that most anti-airs are merely head invulnerable, whereas 4D will beat a lot of standing normals outright. This is nuts and is something you will only know by playing her.

Noel has more mid-game options now so I'm not sure working in the corner is emphasized more this time around. Getting your opponent to the corner is a benefit for all characters so I'm not sure why pushing someone to the corner with Noel is considered a negative.
Noel's midgame is trash. That's why the overhead > low reset and drive gimmicks are so popular. Hell, Noel's corner game is trash. That's why she does so much damage.

As for your edit part, the only way that makes sense to me is if they block the 4D, since if they don't then there's no way to get crossed up since 214D can combo from 4D. If you d.214D after 4D then your opponent can easily jab you out of it when you make it to the other side as it is unsafe.
Right. So I have to bait a crossup when I punish your anti-air, whereas most other characters, when their anti-air is blocked on the ground, eat shit for days. And if you don't do the crossup, I face drive pressure.

The only drive move that is an overhead is the axe kick (d6B). Everything else is mid with one low being the sweep kick (6D). Basically block low and watch for the axe kick/heel drop.
You know that Noel can punish standing blocks, right?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I might mess with Kagura the most at first untill Kokonoe comes out though. He kinda has Makoto's old oki game but anywhere on the screen so I like that

Naite

Feel free to add me to the psn list as well.
PSN = Nthenorm
Main = Azrael

There's a whole bunch of characters I'm trying to pick up but I'm mainly sticking with him for now.

Ken

got my copy (and surprise disgaea guide)!

have there been any patches? would i need to have a jpn account to download them? kinda want to put off making a jpn account as long as possible lol.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
You're gonna have to make one to redeem the Terumi code. Patches can be downloaded on any account on your PS3.

Beats

got my copy (and surprise disgaea guide)!

have there been any patches? would i need to have a jpn account to download them? kinda want to put off making a jpn account as long as possible lol.

There was one if I remember correctly. I installed and downloaded it on my NA account.

It's also good against attacks that hit high, making it an anti-air. Most anti-airs have tiny range or are wildly unsafe; 4D is neither. It also gets big damage (okay) and has safe gatlings which, again, most anti-airs lack. The big issue, however, is that most anti-airs are merely head invulnerable, whereas 4D will beat a lot of standing normals outright. This is nuts and is something you will only know by playing her.

It's a good move as Noel doesn't have much to escape pressure. If Arcsys thought it was an issue I'm sure they would have nerfed it. As it is now there are plenty of ways to beat it. Using air attacks and adjusting based on distance after you've seen it. Or using low attacks to stuff it. I've already had opponents adapt in these ways to it.

Noel's midgame is trash. That's why the overhead > low reset and drive gimmicks are so popular. Hell, Noel's corner game is trash. That's why she does so much damage.

I'm talking about being able to get combo's off of things of off longer moves like 5B and the mid-screen wallbounce from d.5B. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

Right. So I have to bait a crossup when I punish your anti-air, whereas most other characters, when their anti-air is blocked on the ground, eat shit for days. And if you don't do the crossup, I face drive pressure.

Well if they can already do 214D then you've failed to punish the 4D. In that case assuming you are still standing for some reason if they do 214D you can just jab like I said before or block. Drive pressure you block or interrupt if able. I'm still not seeing a problem here.

You know that Noel can punish standing blocks, right?

By hitting low? If so I don't see why that's worth mentioning since every character can do that.

Alright, I am going to try and dl this tonight. How do I obtain psn jp cards/codes? I decided since I need +r anyways might as well get this too

Kumubou

I'm really surprised that no one in the GAF list is playing Jin, given both how easy and how good he looks in this version. Well, I could always add myself. :x

Kumubou
PSN: RottenSashimi
Main: Jin

Alright, I am going to try and dl this tonight. How do I obtain psn jp cards/codes? I decided since I need +r anyways might as well get this too
Places like Play-Asia or Japan-Codes should be selling them, although you'll have to pay a premium of 30% or so. Beyond that, you'll need a contact in Japan to pick them up (There has been runs arranged by some kind GAFfers in the past, I'm not aware of any standing offers though.)

I'm really surprised that no one in the GAF list is playing Jin, given both how easy and how good he looks in this version. Well, I could always add myself. :x

Kumubou
PSN: RottenSashimi
Main: Jin

Places like Play-Asia or Japan-Codes should be selling them, although you'll have to pay a premium of 30% or so. Beyond that, you'll need a contact in Japan to pick them up (There has been runs arranged by some kind GAFfers in the past, I'm not aware of any standing offers though.)

Ah thats what I thought. I talked to somebody today who said he knew ppl in japan. I'll try to take him up on his offer unless someone on gaf is able to

Top Bottom