• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

Lemstar

I have some interest in putting together a gameshare group right now, so I'm probably going to go through with it. One-time install slots are $13.33, if you don't want to shell out full price for your own account.

Edit: group full. I can help host another one if necessary, although I doubt that'll be the case.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have some interest in putting together a gameshare group right now, so I'm probably going to go through with it. One-time install slots are $13.33, if you don't want to shell out full price for your own account.

I thought you could only link one ps3 at a time? Do they just unlink the account on the ps3 after and it still keeps it?

cj_iwakura

Having to sit through the win quotes online is a pain.

I enjoy those. Don't know when I'll get mine, I guess if any poverty shipment folk want to share their experiences that'll give me an idea. It's random for me. I got Deadly Premonition in like four days, Catherine took 12.

Has anyone tried Tsubaki yet? It seems I'm the only one who mains her. :(

FluxWaveZ

Finally got the game after a missed shipment and other issues. Navigating through these menus is gonna be a pain initially, from what I can tell.

Ken

Yeah, found that and it's helpful. Still pressed "Okay" to two initial pop-ups which I didn't understand at all though. I think this is my first experience having to use a guide to navigate a game's UI.

i hope that's just the "we couldnt find save data do you want to make one" since i hit ok on both too

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, found that and it's helpful. Still pressed "Okay" to two initial pop-ups which I didn't understand at all though. I think this is my first experience having to use a guide to navigate a game's UI.

Ah, the beginning is saying that it can't find a system data and asks you if you want it to try again iirc. Bottom option should be cancel and then it'll ask if you want to create a system data. You should probably go to options and select save just in case it didn't create one.

FluxWaveZ

Ah, the beginning is saying that it can't find a system data and asks you if you want it to try again iirc. Bottom option should be cancel and then it'll ask if you want to create a system data. You should probably go to options and select save just in case it didn't create one.

Cool, thanks.

Fugu

It's a good move as Noel doesn't have much to escape pressure. If Arcsys thought it was an issue I'm sure they would have nerfed it. As it is now there are plenty of ways to beat it. Using air attacks and adjusting based on distance after you've seen it. Or using low attacks to stuff it. I've already had opponents adapt in these ways to it.
I've never argued that Noel is an imbalanced character. In fact, I've stated many times that she's a character with an abundance of flaws and is therefore actually likely on the lower end of the characters in the game.

I have, however, said that she's got some poor design, and that poor design originates from the way that her drive moves allow her to act like a moron at midscreen and get away with it. The specific example I cited for this is her anti-air that is safe on block, beats ground normals that don't hit low, and can punish attempts to punish it. Hell, you can follow it up with another anti-air, which is another property more or less unique to Noel.

As for not having much to escape pressure, Noel has the best CA in the game and above average meter gain. She also has 4D, which beats a lot of overheads. She does fine. Most of the zoners and Taokaka are much worse off than she is under pressure.
I'm talking about being able to get combo's off of things of off longer moves like 5B and the mid-screen wallbounce from d.5B. I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.
Noel has really, really weak safe pressure and weak poking abilities. She's an aggressive character but lacks the mobility or the zoning to really win on fundamentals alone. So, to compensate, they gave her moves with bizarre properties (like 4D) and a lot of damage off of basically any hit. She has a weak neutral game; it's not as weak as it used to be, but it's still weak. So they've given her damage instead.

Well if they can already do 214D then you've failed to punish the 4D. In that case assuming you are still standing for some reason if they do 214D you can just jab like I said before or block. Drive pressure you block or interrupt if able. I'm still not seeing a problem here.
That is absolutely not true. Because 214D beats most standing normals, you generally have to block and punish it, not punish it outright. Yes, if Noel is being really dumb about it you can beat it by using a low-hitting normal midscreen, but Noel is full of answers for this that reward her immensely (like 3C) so this is generally a non-viable option against decent players. Most characters with a head invulnerable anti-air are at a rather large disadvantage when they're blocked on the ground. This is not the case for Noel, as Noel can use 4D as a springboard for pressure.

The crossup option is strong because attempting to jab out of it loses to all of Noel's other safe options, of which there are many. Inputting a backwards DP has the same problem, with the added caveat that if it comes out, you will likely be CH'd. If you spam out the crossup every time it will stop working, but if you mix it up by not crossing up sometimes and going into unidirectional pressure it is a very effective option that is difficult to react to. A safe anti-air with range is a very powerful thing. A safe anti-air with range, punish punishes, and the ability to beat mid hitting attacks is character defining. If you can't see that as a Noel player then you are simply using the move incorrectly.

By hitting low? If so I don't see why that's worth mentioning since every character can do that.
Noel has a command grab that only works on standing opponents. The reason I mention it is that it forces opponents to react to her overhead because Noel can simply throw in the command grab to beat anyone that tries to pre-empt it by standing up. The logical result of this is that players will have a tendency to block low against Noel drive pressure, which makes her overhead that much more viable.

...Having said that, the overhead is kind of slow and is one of the easiest in the game to react to, which contributes to her just not being all that great in spite of some very strange move design choices.

People have a problem with Noel because once you learn to hitconfirm with her, you can get by very far with just a little bit of guesswork. Her neutral game is not complex and her pressure game is entirely without nuance. Incidentally, this is why she wasn't very effective in top level play in CSEX.

Updated for new page:
WHEEL OF FATE-TURNERS A.K.A. GAF'S OFFICIAL LIST OF LOSERS
Code:
GAF                  PSN           MAIN
Fugu         	     Fygu          Litchi
Hao Chi      	     hao-chi       Definitely Litchi
Qistoptier   	     Qistoptier    Mu or Makoto?
Prototype-03 	     Prototype-03  Rachel
RoeBear      	     Roe-Bear      Clover family
FluxWaveZ    	     FluxWaveZ     Mu [citation needed]
CJ_Iwakura   	     CJ_Iwakura    Tsubaki
Rhapsody     	     Rhapzody_     Rachel
SolarKnight  	     SolarKnightR  Mu
VanillaCakeIsBurning Mondos123     Guessing Noel
Master Milk          Platinum_Milk Platinum Platinum
ApolloJoh            ApolloJoe400  Litchi, also plays Ragna
Keasar               Keasar        Tager
Kincaido             Kincaido      Izayoi and Jin
3Kaze                T2_Kaze       Relius
Ken                  ???           Bullet
Karsius              Onem1c        Hakumen/Izayoi
Lyte Edge            lyteedge2     Tager
Dremark              Dremark       Carl
Naite                Nthenorm      Azrael
Kumubou              RottenSashimi Jin
Toddhunter           Toddhunter    Valkenhyn
want me to toss that into the OP somewhere?

hopefully picking up my copy today from the post office D: !!!!
That'd be great.

hao chi

Fugu, you can remove the '(I think?)' next to my name. Litchi is definitely my main.

I'm really surprised that no one in the GAF list is playing Jin, given both how easy and how good he looks in this version. Well, I could always add myself. :x

Kumubou
PSN: RottenSashimi
Main: Jin

I've considered Jin, but since I'm a masochist I chose Litchi despite being new to fighting games. :p

Fugu

Done.

Litchi was my first "real fighting game" character, although I'd played an ass ton of tournament level Melee before that.

Big thanks to Lemstar for hooking me up.

Going to be a while before I'm up to scratch again.

Toddhunter
PSN: Toddhunter
Main: Valkenhayn (but that might change this game)

hao chi

Done.

Litchi was my first "real fighting game" character, although I'd played an ass ton of tournament level Melee before that.

Smart ass. :p

Melee is actually the only fighting game I ever put much time into learning before this year. Though I didn't have any friends that took it as seriously as I did, so my Link got good enough that I had to use subs or else they would just get frustrated.

Kumubou

I've considered Jin, but since I'm a masochist I chose Litchi despite being new to fighting games. :p
Good luck with that. :V Although, to be fair, it's always a heavy lift the first time around, and if you truly have character love, you can do
almost
anything.

apricot

My copy arrived! It's from AmiAmi so I got the telephone card as well :3

blazblue_zps97cb99cb.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
Done.

I swear I'm like one of the few that was all in 2D fighters but picked up and did Smash stuff on the side afterwards because why not.

FluxWaveZ

Why is it that I always aim to main a technically complex character with low health, in this case Terumi or Carl? Ugh, at least I'm okay with Mu from my short time spent with CSEX, but I hate the fact that she's a good guy now (totally matters when it comes to a main).

Thanks for the invite earlier, RoeBear, but I was part of another lobby at the time. Don't hesitate to invite me in the future, though. Gotta get a handle on how to play this thing and how the individual Overdrives work.

Does everyone use this typical stick layout?:

B C D
A

I used to play CSEX with A in B's place. Wondering if I should go with the common layout or just stick to what I'm used to.

That's Type A. Type B is more popular:

A B C
D

Great, I'm somehow glad I'm not in the minority when it comes to that.

Fugu

If anyone is down to play tomorrow let me know :)
I'll play tomorrow if I end up getting enough time in training mode to do things.

Why is it that I always aim to main a technically complex character with low health, in this case Terumi or Carl? Ugh, at least I'm okay with Mu from my short time spent with CSEX, but I hate the fact that she's a good guy now (totally matters when it comes to a main).

Thanks for the invite earlier, RoeBear, but I was part of another lobby at the time. Don't hesitate to invite me in the future, though. Gotta get a handle on how to play this thing and how the individual Overdrives work.

Does everyone use this typical stick layout?:

B C D
A

I used to play CSEX with A in B's place. Wondering if I should go with the common layout or just stick to what I'm used to.

A B C
D

Rhapsody

Banned

A B C
D

All of my friends here use Type A instead of B. Really depends on your background or character tbh.

As Rachel, I definitely went with B, even if I was a GG player. But I noticed SNK players like to use Type A as well.

Fugu

All of my friends here use Type A instead of B. Really depends on your background or character tbh.

As Rachel, I definitely went with B, even if I was a GG player. But I noticed SNK players like to use Type A as well.
Well I don't have the actual stats but if you watch tournament streams you'll see people picking Type B most of the time. For characters that negative edge it is especially advantageous.

RoeBear

I seem to not be able to execute with Carl. It's pretty frustrating, but Relius still comes easy and so far Terumi seems fun.

So in the little replay theatre it has all of matches I've played. Is there a limit to these or something? Does anyone know how it works? Also can you unlock other announcers, if so how?

And Flux when I make rooms I'll always try and send out tons of invites to people. Still sucks you have to invite people one by one.

FSLink

Banned
Code:
FSLink               amodestproposal   ?

Updated myself on the list.
No idea who I'm gonna use yet. I played a bit of Taokaka, Ragna, Jin, Tager, and Platinum in past entries but never really delve into BlazBlue as much as I did for SF4 and Marvel 3.

Leaning towards Ragna at the moment despite the newcomers looking fun. Maybe Kagura once I unlock him. Is it pretty straight forward to go through story while skipping text?

Ken

spent the day in training mode but i really like the game despite being terrible at it. the new UI and menus are nice, and the hit sounds are great.

Spent quite a few hours trying out the new characters. Bullet and Kagura in the maybe pile.
But I spent most of the time with Tsubaki. I have no idea why.

Lobby system is god like.

vocab

I seem to not be able to execute with Carl. It's pretty frustrating, but Relius still comes easy and so far Terumi seems fun.

Yea, Carl is really hard, and very much a character you have to put a lot of time into even controlling the puppet. I wish you the best of luck. On the other hand, I made some good progress with relius. Got a very basic corner combo down that does 3.5k. That can easily be increased, but I'm just getting the basic stuff down. Up next is block string/ unblockable practice.

Fugu

Code:
FSLink               amodestproposal   ?

Updated myself on the list.
No idea who I'm gonna use yet. I played a bit of Taokaka, Ragna, Jin, Tager, and Platinum in past entries but never really delve into BlazBlue as much as I did for SF4 and Marvel 3.

Leaning towards Ragna at the moment despite the newcomers looking fun. Maybe Kagura once I unlock him. Is it pretty straight forward to go through story while skipping text?
YOUR NAME BROKE THE GOT DANG FORMATTING.

EDIT: Fixed it.
Code:
GAF                  PSN             MAIN
Fugu         	     Fygu            Litchi
Hao Chi      	     hao-chi         Definitely Litchi
Qistoptier   	     Qistoptier      Mu or Makoto?
Prototype-03 	     Prototype-03    Rachel
RoeBear      	     Roe-Bear        Clover family
FluxWaveZ    	     FluxWaveZ       Mu [citation needed]
CJ_Iwakura   	     CJ_Iwakura      Tsubaki
Rhapsody     	     Rhapzody_       Rachel
SolarKnight  	     SolarKnightR    Mu
VanillaCakeIsBurning Mondos123       Guessing Noel
Master Milk          Platinum_Milk   Platinum Platinum
ApolloJoh            ApolloJoe400    Litchi, also plays Ragna
Keasar               Keasar          Tager
Kincaido             Kincaido        Izayoi and Jin
3Kaze                T2_Kaze         Relius
Ken                  ???             Bullet
Karsius              Onem1c          Hakumen/Izayoi
Lyte Edge            lyteedge2       Tager
Dremark              Dremark         Carl
Naite                Nthenorm        Azrael
Toddhunter           Toddhunter      Valkenhyn
Kumubou              RottenSashimi   Jin
FSLink               amodestproposal ?

I've never argued that Noel is an imbalanced character. In fact, I've stated many times that she's a character with an abundance of flaws and is therefore actually likely on the lower end of the characters in the game.

I have, however, said that she's got some poor design, and that poor design originates from the way that her drive moves allow her to act like a moron at midscreen and get away with it. The specific example I cited for this is her anti-air that is safe on block, beats ground normals that don't hit low, and can punish attempts to punish it. Hell, you can follow it up with another anti-air, which is another property more or less unique to Noel.

As for not having much to escape pressure, Noel has the best CA in the game and above average meter gain. She also has 4D, which beats a lot of overheads. She does fine. Most of the zoners and Taokaka are much worse off than she is under pressure.
Noel has really, really weak safe pressure and weak poking abilities. She's an aggressive character but lacks the mobility or the zoning to really win on fundamentals alone. So, to compensate, they gave her moves with bizarre properties (like 4D) and a lot of damage off of basically any hit. She has a weak neutral game; it's not as weak as it used to be, but it's still weak. So they've given her damage instead.

That is absolutely not true. Because 214D beats most standing normals, you generally have to block and punish it, not punish it outright. Yes, if Noel is being really dumb about it you can beat it by using a low-hitting normal midscreen, but Noel is full of answers for this that reward her immensely (like 3C) so this is generally a non-viable option against decent players. Most characters with a head invulnerable anti-air are at a rather large disadvantage when they're blocked on the ground. This is not the case for Noel, as Noel can use 4D as a springboard for pressure.

The crossup option is strong because attempting to jab out of it loses to all of Noel's other safe options, of which there are many. Inputting a backwards DP has the same problem, with the added caveat that if it comes out, you will likely be CH'd. If you spam out the crossup every time it will stop working, but if you mix it up by not crossing up sometimes and going into unidirectional pressure it is a very effective option that is difficult to react to. A safe anti-air with range is a very powerful thing. A safe anti-air with range, punish punishes, and the ability to beat mid hitting attacks is character defining. If you can't see that as a Noel player then you are simply using the move incorrectly.

Noel has a command grab that only works on standing opponents. The reason I mention it is that it forces opponents to react to her overhead because Noel can simply throw in the command grab to beat anyone that tries to pre-empt it by standing up. The logical result of this is that players will have a tendency to block low against Noel drive pressure, which makes her overhead that much more viable.

...Having said that, the overhead is kind of slow and is one of the easiest in the game to react to, which contributes to her just not being all that great in spite of some very strange move design choices.

People have a problem with Noel because once you learn to hitconfirm with her, you can get by very far with just a little bit of guesswork. Her neutral game is not complex and her pressure game is entirely without nuance. Incidentally, this is why she wasn't very effective in top level play in CSEX.

I guess I'll concede to your point. I can't organize my thoughts/compete with large amounts of text anymore.

I'm looking to explore other character options now that I've reached a decent milestone with Noel. Maybe Amane or nu-13.

Also it looks like they went all out on the risque factor for the "Special Guest" section in the gallery.

RoeBear

Yea, Carl is really hard, and very much a character you have to put a lot of time into even controlling the puppet. I wish you the best of luck. On the other hand, I made some good progress with relius. Got a very basic corner combo down that does 3.5k. That can easily be increased, but I'm just getting the basic stuff down. Up next is block string/ unblockable practice.

I could get 2.5k by myself with Carl in CSE but you can't get close to that unless you have a RC in this one. Relius is pretty much the same for me just have to get the timing down on 41236B.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87955183]How come nobody here mains Amane aka Shinji "Sticky Hands" Ikari? You all scrubs?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Busaiku would but I don't think he was going to import.

I got the game yesterday but I was only able to play 1 round til then :(

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87955183]How come nobody here mains Amane aka Shinji "Sticky Hands" Ikari? You all scrubs?[/QUOTE]

He was actually the first person and only person I played with so far... I got my ass kicked, and found him a bit difficult to attack with... not sure if he's very beginner friendly or if I just need to play some more.

vocab

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87955183]how come nobody here mains Amane aka Shinji "Sticky Hands" Ikari? You all scrubs?[/QUOTE]
repulsive to look at.

Lokbob

How the hell do you play against Bullet, once shes hits heat2 she just goes into her autopilot combo over and over and you cant press any buttons.
I should probably just (barrier)block it out and wait for a throw or try late teching and rolling forward...

Top Bottom