• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

RoeBear

I've decided to do 50 or so matches with each character to help me improve my matchups. It has helped tremendously in the Kagura matchup

Yeah I just like human opponents and not many people play the characters I need practice against.

Also it's impossible for me to play Carl on the Vita version. Pretty much have to go Relius exclusive or I look dumb.

Does the Vita version come with any of the DLC or do you still have to buy characters, colors, announcers, and stages?

hao chi

wow, story mode is so long this time.

I'm at over 40% and at this rate I should finish it quite a bit faster than CSE's, I think.

I kind of like how there's not nearly as many fights (so far, anyway). That works perfectly for me since I've been putting the text advancement on auto and reading the story mode while eating meals.

hao chi

Kagura for sure, I just feel like when I fight him I just instantly die.

I seem to have trouble with any character that has normals with good range. It took me several matches before I felt somewhat comfortable vs Kagura and finally took a match vs my friend's Kagura.

RoeBear

I seem to have trouble with any character that has normals with good range. It took me several matches before I felt somewhat comfortable vs Kagura and finally took a match vs my friend's Kagura.

He's got crazy range! He also can kill Nirvana super easy, like one combo and she dies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got CP for Vita this morning. The load times are kind of bad. It took nearly 30 seconds to go from the character to select screen to a match. Will check for an install option when I get another chance to play it (at work right now).

EDIT: Nothing of the sort, as expected. Get read for 26 seconds between matches!

The game also froze up and locked up my Vita the first time I tried to run it, but I'm without a wireless connection here to check for an update.

Does the Vita version come with any of the DLC or do you still have to buy characters, colors, announcers, and stages?

You have to buy everything, but it shares DLC with the PS3 version.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kagura for sure, I just feel like when I fight him I just instantly die.

Hm... I haven't used him in awhile, so I only know some combos here and there, but I'll try to see if I can get him down well enough. His damage is high, but he's not too bad to block once you know how his gatling and drive options.

ApolloJoh

Kinda late on this but the only things that scare me in this game are:

Being between Carl and Nirvana

Being in the corner against Azrael

aaaannd mirrors with Ragna

Everything else, even Kokonoe, is okay.

Mdesilva

Anyone know anything about the JP PSN DLC sale? Apparently some stuff is half off for Vita owners but everything is cross-buy so it should carry… I may get Kokonoe and the Unlimited characters if it's ¥500.

Nyoro SF

Anyone know anything about the JP PSN DLC sale? Apparently some stuff is half off for Vita owners but everything is cross-buy so it should carry… I may get Kokonoe and the Unlimited characters if it's ¥500.

You couldn't pay me to download the cat OR Hooded Noel

sounds pretty sweet too bad my game versions are different

Lemstar

Crossposting from the fighting games general thread: Anyone want to buy a cheapish disc copy of BBCP with a tear on the front cover? I'm thinking something like $34 shipped.

Rhapsody

Banned
Learning Hazama (this was the only iteration I never learned him until now) and Makoto eventually.

High damage loops everywhere. Also amusing to get 4-5k off of anti airs. lol

vvise

I don't understand how everyone online is so godly at this game. I've been getting my ass handed to me all night. My win loss is down under 30% (scrubbing some wins with tager), come across a bullet player that's 1 for 5 games thinking okay finally maybe I can get a win.

I DIDN'T TOUCH THE GROUND. two perfect rounds wtf.

I feel like if i don't drop money on a new internet connection and quit my full time job to train there's no point even trying ranked matches...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tried the Vita version online last night. Hard to tell if cross-play is there (assuming not), but I found enough people to play. Ranked and player matches (with lobbies) are available. Connection quality was pretty good overall.

Guy's guys!! I got a stupid question, I've heard that this was the last one of the series, is this true?

Nope, far from it

The question is, will they ever redo a version of BlazBlue from the ground up (either with all-new sprites or a switch to polys), or will it look the same until the end?

RoeBear

The question is, will they ever redo a version of BlazBlue from the ground up (either with all-new sprites or a switch to polys), or will it look the same until the end?

I would have mixed feelings if they changed things.

I wouldn't mind if they redrew things like they did with Noel. I think it would be cool to also see Carl grown up or even Platinum older.

If they did it CG like GGXrd I'm not sure how I'd feel. Since I still haven't seen GGXrd in motion I'll hold off on judgement.

Nyoro SF

Redrawing all the sprites would take way too much time money and work. They might as well make a new fighter.

I think Mori said on record that the sequel to BBCP would be the last game.

Nyoro SF

I thought he said BBCP was going to be the last game at some point

Now I have to find the interview when I get home lol

EDIT: That's right, EH did a translation of the interview Mori did with Famitsu.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...bility-making-celica-nine-and-jubei-playable/

--- That may be true. Okay, moving on, will the next BlazBlue game really be the final chapter of the series?

Mori: Yes, like I've said before, the next game is the final chapter. Personally, it'd be a pain for me too if we were to drag it further. So as promised, the next game will be the last. But with that said, it's not like the BlazBlue franchise will completely come to a halt, never to appear in another form ever again, after that. This simply means that with the next game, Ragna The Bloodedge's story will finally come to an end.

--- Even in Chrono Phantasma, it would appear that things are pretty wrapped up...

Mori: Exactly, right? But... (takes a deep breath) Nope. There's still a little more of the story that we'd like to tell.

IIRC Mori has said he wants to bring BB to next gen.

After seeing GGXrd I full agree.

It's unfortunate since sprites are great, but it looks like Arcsys is making greater returns on GG at least by moving to 3D. Maybe it's possible they could have created a new 2D game while still retaining the 3D camera angles during supers/intros/outros/etc except animated via sprites but I guess they thought that it would be too much work when the same could be more easily accomplished with 3D which looks spectacular by the way.

I've only watched videos of GG but I get a much stronger sense of the characters themselves due to what they've done with them in 3D. I'm referring to things like body movements and expressions in the supers/intros/outros/IK's and arcade mode cutscenes which feature fully 3D characters moving about instead of text and portraits.

I suppose if BB goes the way of Xrd then we won't have to worry about seeing cutscenes like this
K8QxIuQ.jpg
anymore since they can be done in-house (or whoever Arcsys hired to handle the cutscenes if they outsourced).

FluxWaveZ

Is the ASW process of creating models cheaper or less resource intensive than their process of creating sprites? I don't know much about the process itself, but I believe that what they did for BB and P4A was to make rudimentary 3D models, render them, transfer them into sprites and then edit them + add effects, right? I wonder if cutting out the phases after the "3D model creation" part saves them time and energy, or if it's actually more expensive or time consuming due to the high quality of the models in Xrd.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is the ASW process of creating models cheaper or less resource intensive than their process of creating sprites? I don't know much about the process itself, but I believe that what they did for BB and P4A was to make rudimentary 3D models, render them, transfer them into sprites and then edit them + add effects, right? I wonder if cutting out the phases after the "3D model creation" part saves them time and energy, or if it's actually more expensive or time consuming due to the high quality of the models in Xrd.

BlazBlue models are pretty high quality already and they were just there to be drawn over. If you ever saw the kokonoe 3d model it was really really well done though it was just a wireframe :p

I was actually going to mention that (they use 3D models for posing which you can still see on the GGXrd site in the wanted section if it's still up).

I think the issue with animating sprites is that it gets harder the more detailed it is. Since you have to redraw the entire sprite as opposed to 3D where when you make a 3D model, rig it, then it's just a matter of moving them around at different keyframes in the animation (I have no experience with motion capture but I've read there's some clean up work involved after getting the capture from the actor).

3D assets can be developed in high quality then adjusted based on the hardware.

I think there was an interview posted a while ago where they talked about at what point 2D or 3D becomes more expensive than the other but I can't remember where I read it at the moment.

Onemic

I don't understand how everyone online is so godly at this game. I've been getting my ass handed to me all night. My win loss is down under 30% (scrubbing some wins with tager), come across a bullet player that's 1 for 5 games thinking okay finally maybe I can get a win.

I DIDN'T TOUCH THE GROUND. two perfect rounds wtf.

I feel like if i don't drop money on a new internet connection and quit my full time job to train there's no point even trying ranked matches...

same here.

My problem, I think, is that I feel as if there's no character that is really "for me" in this game. At least that I've come across yet. Hakumen is no Baiken and I really suck at characters that have poor mobility options.(I'm looking at you SF Makoto) I got burned out from playing back in November because of this, trying to force myself to play a character that isn't really my style of play at all. I simply tried putting up with it because he looked cool and was supposedly like Baiken, which he isn't. I would play Litchi, but her execution is over the top that I'd probably lose interest in trying to get good with her simply because BB wouldn't be my main game.

Mu and her j.2C can go fuck off into space.

Slowly but surely getting better at this game.
I still suck though.

Azrael is so much fun to play as. Bullet too, now that I have a better understanding of how she works.

Terumi is nice for when I want to turn my brain off.

same here.

My problem, I think, is that I feel as if there's no character that is really "for me" in this game. At least that I've come across yet. Hakumen is no Baiken and I really suck at characters that have poor mobility options.(I'm looking at you SF Makoto) I got burned out from playing back in November because of this, trying to force myself to play a character that isn't really my style of play at all. I simply tried putting up with it because he looked cool and was supposedly like Baiken, which he isn't. I would play Litchi, but her execution is over the top that I'd probably lose interest in trying to get good with her simply because BB wouldn't be my main game.

This is something that gets me in fighting games too.

At most I've stuck with characters for months at a time but I've yet to find one that I thought was absolutely perfect for me.

Except for Labrys maybe. I don't think I played anyone else but her online.

cj_iwakura

After an exciting mirror GF, Kokonoe just took the NW Regional tournament. I'm going to need lots more practice against her.

I'd like to think Tsubaki may have a chance the others don't, but that's probably mad wishful thinking.

Top Bottom