• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

hao chi

If you get gadget fingered you have a one in three chance of getting hit with something on wake-up. They can 5a 360, 720C, or 423C/ air buster you. It's mainly a guessing game.

For the 5A you can block and jump it. I prefer to block and try back hopping. Usually if they hit you they will continue a ground combo and drop you cause you're technically air borne.

Second option is either delay tech or jump right when you can.

Again for the last option I prefer back hops.

Tager is all about guessing once you're in the bad situation. Bursting is almost never an option on gadget finger unless they try and hit you, same with a counter assault. Best thing is to get a few hits in him then play like a coward. You have to be patient. Also, never run up to him on his wake up because that's an easy spot for them to buffer a 360 or 720.

Thanks. I'll have to go back and watch the match to see if the chain or air command grabs that I got stuck in is actually considered a combo, but knowing his options for pressuring you on wake up and how to deal with them is great to know.

I at least did much better versus Tager last night and feel like I'm getting a much better understanding of the match up overall. Delayed teching seemed to help a ton, though probably partly because the person I'm was playing with is likely used to me rolling backwards on wake up.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks. I'll have to go back and watch the match to see if the chain or air command grabs that I got stuck in is actually considered a combo, but knowing his options for pressuring you on wake up and how to deal with them is great to know.

I at least did much better versus Tager last night and feel like I'm getting a much better understanding of the match up overall. Delayed teching seemed to help a ton, though probably partly because the person I'm was playing with is likely used to me rolling backwards on wake up.

Since you're Litchi, play lame as much as you can, but be careful of when Spark Bolt meter is full. Know your oki setups. In the corner, Tager should be pretty free on wakeup against Litchi. If you're not able to get a setup on his knockdown, you're still free to meaty him on wakeup if he doesn't have meter. 360A has invul starting from frame 3. If he does wakeup backdash, don't go in and just play in the best screen position for Litchi.

Tager's all about getting his guessing game. In a short match or set, it's really hard to figure out their habits or how they like to guess your wakeup. Technically anything gets beaten into big damage if he guesses right. Basically anything can lead back up to gadget finger. He also has a scary high/low mixup game.

Tager can't combo into command grab. He'll be doing resets into air command grabs and such, but that's it. If you're getting sucked in while you're in the air (623C or j360), just throw out one of Litchi's air normals and you should hit him before getting grabbed (depending how well or not he tried to sneak in the reset).

In short, just play where it's optimal for Litchi and get that oki. A lot of people have problems against Tager at the start since they don't know how his moves work. Just ask here or look up his info on the DL wiki. Netplay Tagers (myself included) get away with so much just because of matchup inexperience.

thundr51

What type of speeds are you guys getting on your PS3s? I would like to play online but it seems that I have terrible upload speeds no matter what. I have fios (wired) and when I do a test on my PC I get 83/39 (d/u) but when I do a speed test on ps3 I get something like 8.6/2.5? Is there some magic switch I forgot to hit?

Say is Online region-limited? Both me and my friend have a imported Japanese copy and despite the game now being out in PAL regions we still hardly find players with good connection speeds :/

Rhapsody

Banned
What type of speeds are you guys getting on your PS3s? I would like to play online but it seems that I have terrible upload speeds no matter what. I have fios (wired) and when I do a test on my PC I get 83/39 (d/u) but when I do a speed test on ps3 I get something like 8.6/2.5? Is there some magic switch I forgot to hit?

My PS3 DL and UL speeds are somewhat close to how it is when I do a speedtest test on my laptop.
In the past I used to configure my connection by setting it to custom on my PS3. Putting the IP and everything myself. Also did things like open ports or DMZ, but not really anymore since without it it's getting the same quality.

You can try all of that above if you feel that your router is blocking in some of the data being sent and accepted.
The PS3 is a bit weird for online. I remember in 3rd Strike Online, I was never able to get a NAT-1 connection like my 360 did with the exact same setup.
Say is Online region-limited? Both me and my friend have a imported Japanese copy and despite the game now being out in PAL regions we still hardly find players with good connection speeds :/
It's not region limited. Maybe it's because people are staying away from netplay by training or doing story mode.

hao chi

Since you're Litchi, play lame as much as you can, but be careful of when Spark Bolt meter is full. Know your oki setups. In the corner, Tager should be pretty free on wakeup against Litchi. If you're not able to get a setup on his knockdown, you're still free to meaty him on wakeup if he doesn't have meter. 360A has invul starting from frame 3. If he does wakeup backdash, don't go in and just play in the best screen position for Litchi.

I actually do spend a lot of time just planting my staff and waiting for the perfect opportunity to send it flying to cover my approach, and I've also been trying to make sure I also have some fake run in attempts just so I'm not so predictable and I can occasionally bait one of his attacks. I'm also usually good about not being damaged by Spark Bolt. I noticed the person I was playing against started shooting them upwards to try to catch me when I was doing j.5D, and I started baiting them so they'd miss me and I wouldn't even be magnetized.

I'll definitely keep in mind that he can't do much in the corner vs Litchi without meter.

Tager's all about getting his guessing game. In a short match or set, it's really hard to figure out their habits or how they like to guess your wakeup. Technically anything gets beaten into big damage if he guesses right. Basically anything can lead back up to gadget finger. He also has a scary high/low mixup game.

The worst thing about this for me is I'm never sure what is and isn't an overhead/low for him. I'll have to go on Dustloop and go in training mode with him later.

Tager can't combo into command grab. He'll be doing resets into air command grabs and such, but that's it. If you're getting sucked in while you're in the air (623C or j360), just throw out one of Litchi's air normals and you should hit him before getting grabbed (depending how well or not he tried to sneak in the reset).

This is what was really confusing me. I was flying around and getting command grabbed while I was in the air, but regardless of what I tried I was never able to even get a jab to come out. It just seemed like there was nothing I could do to avoid the command grabs.

In short, just play where it's optimal for Litchi and get that oki. A lot of people have problems against Tager at the start since they don't know how his moves work. Just ask here or look up his info on the DL wiki. Netplay Tagers (myself included) get away with so much just because of matchup inexperience.

Yeah, he is really confusing to fight against at first, but slowly I'm improving at the match up. And one thing I should really do more is save my match vids to review them later.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Rhapsody

Banned
This is what was really confusing me. I was flying around and getting command grabbed while I was in the air, but regardless of what I tried I was never able to even get a jab to come out. It just seemed like there was nothing I could do to avoid the command grabs.

Oh, maybe that was his atomic collider move? I guess you can count that as a grab. That one is comboable. So if you see the combo counter staying red, then that's a combo. I'd say the best way to figure out the matchup is try out Tager in training mode and look at frame data.

5B, 2B, and 3C are his lows. 6B and 6C are his highs. 6A is one of his moves that has super armor against highs and mids (can only be broken by a single hit stronger that 1.6k). It loses to lows and throws.

If a Tager ever does A Sledge (and no follow up) and you block it, it's -4 on block. So mash out a button if he has no meter or punish if you IB it.

I'd say these are some of the misconceptions that people don't know about Tager that a lot of people fall for.

hao chi

Oh, maybe that was his atomic collider move? I guess you can count that as a grab. That one is comboable. So if you see the combo counter staying red, then that's a combo. I'd say the best way to figure out the matchup is try out Tager in training mode and look at frame data.

I couldn't remember if the combo counter stayed on the screen or not, but I made sure to save the replay so I could watch it later. During the match I thought the counter disappeared, but I could be and probably am wrong.

5B, 2B, and 3C are his lows. 6B and 6C are his highs. 6A is one of his moves that has super armor against highs and mids (can only be broken by a single hit stronger that 1.6k). It loses to lows and throws.

If a Tager ever does A Sledge (and no follow up) and you block it, it's -4 on block. So mash out a button if he has no meter or punish if you IB it.

I'd say these are some of the misconceptions that people don't know about Tager that a lot of people fall for.

Thanks. I'll check out all those moves in training mode, which I feel like I should really do for the rest of the cast. At some point I plan on doing some training and challenge mode with each character, then doing their arcade mode so I'll have at least a basic idea of what to expect from every character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tager is a brutal character to learn the ropes against as he is all about punishing mistakes. I atleast know what I always mess with first is seeing if people just mash out neutral tech a lot, as it lets him set up easy 360/720 attempts as I intentionally drop a combo and whiff a move and see them tech into it. Same with air teching and getting pulled into Atomic Collider if you're magnetized(sounds like this might have been what's happening to you).

It's not region limited. Maybe it's because people are staying away from netplay by training or doing story mode.

this is my current phase, sorry!

Don't worry that's fine! :) And hmm I guess that explains it, we just worried because the game is out now in English and all we ever saw in Ranked Matches were still Japanese players only with 0-1 connection levels :/ But then again maybe we also just did something wrong as we more or less randomly clicked through the online menu without being able to read anything :p

I'm wired. You picked a stage that apparently isn't considered netplay-friendly. Here's LK's Tweet about it: https://twitter.com/lordknightbb/status/458868981244243968

Want to try again on a different stage? It seemed to work fine on Lessons.
Wired and we're only getting 1 bar? Weird. I actually got 0 when I joined again. But yeah I'll join and stick to Lessons. I need to remember to stop doing Random.

I'm West coast by the way.

hao chi

Wired and we're only getting 1 bar? Weird. I actually got 0 when I joined again. But yeah I'll join and stick to Lessons. I need to remember to stop doing Random.

I'm West coast by the way.

Honestly, I don't pay too much attention to bars in Arc Sys games. I've had perfectly smooth zero bar matches, and three bar matches that were a Powerpoint presentation.

RoeBear

I'm... actually surprised, haha. Bang's not so threatening in this game.

However, netplay 3C Bang's scare me.

I gave up. Even with Kokonoe (not that there's anything to unlock with her).

My Fear list is:
1. Kokonoe/Carl
as I'm scared of the guy I play -_-
2. Tager
3. Rachel
4. Ragna
5. Bang

Rhapsody

Banned
My Fear list is:
1. Kokonoe/Carl
2. Tager
3. Rachel
4. Ragna
5. Bang

Most of those are characters I play lol. At least more experience for you.

My top 5 are:

1. Kokonoe/Rachel
2. Mu
3. Ragna
4. Azrael
5. Hazama

Rachel mirrors are just plain awful. Valk would be up there if I came across more good Valks.

RoeBear

There's like no Valks at all in the US. If there were he'd be up there for me too. Mu isn't on my list as her brain dead combos just make me laugh even as I'm getting pummeled.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm... actually surprised, haha. Bang's not so threatening in this game.

However, netplay 3C Bang's scare me.

I gave up. Even with Kokonoe (not that there's anything to unlock with her).

I dunno what is even happening when I fight unlimited bullet but I just get wrecked, haha.

I'm not sure what I would put in a most feared list but Hazama is at the top. I hate fighting him so much. Arakune too, though I haven't seen any in CP yet.

Rachel has never been a very good match for Tager but even in CT I always liked fighting her for some reason.

Rhapsody

Banned
That's pretty interesting. As a Rachel main, I have no idea how I'd deal with her if I ever faced one with my Tager. Same goes for Tager vs Mu.
There's like no Valks at all in the US. If there were he'd be up there for me too. Mu isn't on my list as her brain dead combos just make me laugh even as I'm getting pummeled.

Mu just scares me. At the start of the match I'm wondering, are they going to 5C? And then they just do sword of infinity and I just stare at the screen lol. Also trying to pressure them bugs me on their wakeup. It's a terrible feeling down-backing/non-meaty 2A only to somehow get j2C'ed online. Same goes for wake up overhead.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Of course most of these had to be overhead starter. So mad. lol

They all work off 5C -> 6C as well but the timing is completely based on how far they are from you. The overhead starter is the only consistent version of those combos.

The 5C-6C starter does A TON of meterless damage like that was her thing til koko came along haha

hao chi

My Fear list is:
1. Kokonoe/Carl

It's alright. I main(ed?) Yukiko in P4A and have zero idea what to do against her. Nobody else I know uses her, and I only ever fought her a couple times in ranked (won most of them, but I clearly had little idea what I was doing).

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Roebear. Nice being able to play again after midterms.

Yeah, it's sort of hard on the conversions for Izayoi. I haven't used her for awhile, so I didn't lab any new stuff. Using her is still a bit awkward at the moment. A bit easier than Aigis, but the pay off is much lower. I'm going to try and put more work into her later.

RoeBear

GGs, Roebear. Nice being able to play again after midterms.

Yeah, it's sort of hard on the conversions for Izayoi. I haven't used her for awhile, so I didn't lab any new stuff. Using her is still a bit awkward at the moment. A bit easier than Aigis, but the pay off is much lower. I'm going to try and put more work into her later.

I know it's the case for fighters in general, but I'm glad there's always something to improve upon. Been slowly adding new stuff to my puppet masters. Getting a little better at switching sides and sandwiching which is nice. Still hard to do it against the master of wind :D

I got my first arcade stick a few weeks ago and this game has taught me how to use it pretty well. Of course, I still need more training... but I'm having a lot of fun. My friends hate it when I pick Noel.

Nyoro SF

Got the Vita version of BBCP. My review:

Pretty much exactly the same as the console version, but the load times are longer. The game looks very amazing on an OLED. I'm a stick player not a pad player but I can semi-do Hakumen combos
like normal #Kappa
on the handheld.

Make sure your regions match. I have the Asian version of the console game and the JP version of the handheld, so RIP any form of syncing.

Now release Xrd for Vita
and PC
pls.

I know it's the case for fighters in general, but I'm glad there's always something to improve upon. Been slowly adding new stuff to my puppet masters. Getting a little better at switching sides and sandwiching which is nice. Still hard to do it against the master of wind :D
I've decided to do 50 or so matches with each character to help me improve my matchups. It has helped tremendously in the Kagura matchup

Top Bottom