• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

shaowebb

Oh come on! I go through another hour after that last post to install after it downloads and now when I log in and try to update it gets a server error 400 in game and can't be played because it can't update?!

I started this before 2 oclock pm today and its 12:30 am now...
;_;

shaowebb

Anybody want to play on PSN?

Me.....*Cries as game fails over and over*

*edit 7:35 am*
It finally finished. Welp...time for bed
ibrnY9KJuxa4Fz.jpg

shaowebb

Tried out Bullet finally. Reaaaaaaaally suffered in the V13 matchup. Learned some good pressure stuff though grinding it out. I still got so little clue what I'm doing its laughable though. I like her airdash into her medium (B?) and her crouching heavy (C?).
I also like how her ground projectile works for her. I can end stuff with it and it feels like its making things safer and it helps to chuck it and run up and either go into her air grab or jumping B.

Gonna learn her and this game slowly. It'll take time, but it feels pretty damned real out there even vs AI. Haven't really felt like this in awhile. Been playing a lot of string based slower fighters over the past 2 years.

Tried out Bullet finally. Reaaaaaaaally suffered in the V13 matchup.

You have moves with projectile invincibility, gotta learn to use them when appropiate.

If they are predictably spamming the proyectiles, use the charge up move so that you can get to heat level 2 for free. To close the distance or if they decide to use proyectiles when you're close, Midlet Capture also has that kind of invincibility (but not of any other kind).

None of this works against Amane however since none of his ranged attacks are proyectiles so you're fucked there. Gotta be much more patient and careful with him.

shaowebb

You have moves with projectile invincibility, gotta learn to use them when appropiate.

If they are predictably spamming the proyectiles, use the charge up move so that you can get to heat level 2 for free. To close the distance or if they decide to use proyectiles when you're close, Midlet Capture also has that kind of invincibility (but not of any other kind).

None of this works against Amane however since none of his ranged attacks are proyectiles so you're fucked there. Gotta be much more patient and careful with him.

Charge up is ABCD isn't it? Thats the one that allows me to go nuts with her D?
Sorry, but I'm super noob right now on this game. Been playing extend for the most part but only casual. The whole time I pretty much went nuts with Trinity's air pressure and D. This is the first I've really tried to go whole hog on BB.

Bullet's level charge move is 214D, which you can hold to get to level 2. ABCD is her overdrive, which puts her at level one and allows her to keep heat levels when she expends them.

shaowebb

Bullet's level charge move is 214D, which you can hold to get to level 2. ABCD is her overdrive, which puts her at level one and allows her to keep heat levels when she expends them.

okay stop...214?

I know Marvel Annotations, KoF annotations, and MK/IGAU annotations. You lost me with that one though.

Start at the beginning here. What are the numbers and what is heat? You're talking to a guy whose spent the past quarter of a year in books and at work and in Zbrush. I haven't done much but casual poke BB and try to translate Marvel/Kof stuff to it. I literally dont know it.

Vice

What's the button layout for this game? My stick defaults to a 2x2 layout but that feels strange

okay stop...214?

I know Marvel Annotations, KoF annotations, and MK/IGAU annotations. You lost me with that one though.

Start at the beginning here. What are the numbers and what is heat? You're talking to a guy whose spent the past quarter of a year in books and at work and in Zbrush. I haven't done much but casual poke BB and try to translate Marvel/Kof stuff to it. I literally dont know it.

For the numbers look at the ten-key/number pad on your keyboard. 2=down 1=down-back 4= left

Heat is Bullet's mechanic. You can either level it up manually with the charging move, or every time your drive attacks hit but you lose a level every time a D move is blocked or if you don't level up after a certain amount of time.

Lv0
-Not glowing
-Your dash sucks
-Your proyectile's range is short
-Your lock-on area is small and your 5D is unsafe unless charged
-No follow ups to either your 5D or any special moves using D or the 720 grab

Lv1
-Glows orange
-Ok dash
-Proyectile's range is ok
-Lock-on area is medium sized and your 5D is now safe on block uncharged but barely.
-Gives you follow ups to your 5D, special moves, and the 720 grab

Lv2
-Glows red
-Really good dash
-Full screen proyectile
-Big lock-on area and your 5D is even safer on block
-Much better follow ups to 5D and your special moves (usually a bigger wallbounce) and it gives you full access to the third follow up of the 720 grab for massive damage.

Also, the 214 thing is number notation

5 is neutral, 6 is forward, 4 is back, 2 is down, and 8 is up. Just look at your keyboard's numpad.

What's the button layout for this game? My stick defaults to a 2x2 layout but that feels strange

ABC
D

or

BCD
A

are the options in the arcade versions.

shaowebb

*drops some knowledge on Shaowebb's scrubby BB beginnings*

Thanks! :)
I didn't know her gimmick was called heat. With all the terms in this game I thought it was yet another universal mechanic you were referring to. 214 is her QCB then. I take it the number pad annotations are being used because ABCD means saying stuff like QCB could make someone hit their B or something out of confusion reading someone's combo notes.

I was pretty much just raw using heat the whole run by trying to combo into 5d to build her stuff up for followups. Goin in raw the entire run vs V13 using airdash B, 2C, and pressuring with high low 1's ,2's and such into her projectile.
Hard mode and it sure felt like it.

I've yet to crack open training. After the enormous wait I just went straight for arcade, ramped it up and went in to get a feel for her normals and pokes and to just generally get some matches in between packing. Does training mode go into detail on each character's D ability in depth as well as give priorities, frame data, or other stuff?

It's more because numbers are universal and stuff like qcb doesn't necessarily mean anything in other languages. Also it's what the Japanese use so yeah.

The character tutorials don't go that in depth, but they do teach the basic of each character.

shaowebb

It's more because numbers are universal and stuff like qcb doesn't necessarily mean anything in other languages. Also it's what the Japanese use so yeah.

The character tutorials don't go that in depth, but they do teach the basic of each character.

Well its a good start at least. Where can I go to find stuff like her frame data, overheads, and what has immunity to projectiles? Dustloop maybe?

BTW watching some more vids now. Seems I was getting her footsies and pressure with the high lows pretty decent but not even scraping the surface of her combo potential because I wasn't charging heat properly nor figuring out all her links at different heat levels. She definitely fits my high low pressure style and love of grabs.

shaowebb

Sweet. One last question for now before I dig through their data. I was using her Projectile at the end of block strings because V13 wouldn't punish afterwards and it still left me close enough to go for stuff. Is that projectile actually safe on block or was the Hard mode AI just being dumb?

shaowebb

Depends on if you consider -5 as safe.

So just the computer being dumb then on hard mode. I'll look for a safe blockstring ender then and change that up to just using it for spacing and for what looks like an OTG at higher levels of heat.

Feels nice to have a game to dig deep into again :)
Haven't had so much to dig in on since I first started out with Marvel. Too much time playing Injustice where I'd just shoot venom and go autopilot.

Uraizen

Banned
Lv2
-Much better follow ups to 5D and your special moves (usually a bigger wallbounce)

Wall stick in the corner, extremely useful to know. You can dash in 6A > CT then dash in 6A > charged shot, then your usual follow-up. No particular reason for pointing this out, I just like doing it.

shaowebb

Uncharged 5C is -1 in 1.1 iirc

-1 isn't too bad at least, but yeah I'll look for one thats plus to end with if that frame data has changed recently. Hoping between packing my upstairs today to put in some serious lab time to work on Bread N Butter and block strings.

cj_iwakura

-1 isn't too bad at least, but yeah I'll look for one thats plus to end with if that frame data has changed recently. Hoping between packing my upstairs today to put in some serious lab time to work on Bread N Butter and block strings.

Are you doing the challenges? They help.

shaowebb

Are you doing the challenges? They help.

Not yet. Like I said I'm moving and till now BB extend was casual visual novel time for me trying to catchup from Calamity Trigger. Yesterday I popped it in, went raw hard mode arcade with Bullet to grind out some basic understanding of her normals, ranges and general feel. Now I'm digging trying to really see how to get her going. I plan on working her over the next few weeks then move on to Amane and just sort of float the cast in this manner over the next few months between animation work and regulatory training to really get a handle on this series.

Literally the first new fighting game I've bought in two years, can't wait to jump in and get wrecked by you guys. Crossing my fingers that my download doesn't get corrupted too. I played a bit of CS and CS2 back when they were big, lost interest after the way Arc Sys handled Extend but it feels good to jump back into the fold. Can't wait to try out Platinum and all of the Extend / Chrono Phantasma characters as well though with the way Arc handles balancing I'm figuring pretty much everyone is going to feel like a completely new character.

PSN : DiscoShark

Shame they didn't put the DLC on sale ...

Ken

I accidently got the vita copies of the dlc cast and I dont own a vita (new to PSN and jsut clicked em all)...can I gift those to you through PS3 somehow?

I have them but thanks though!

Also I don't think the DLC characters are tied to any specific platform so you can probably use them yourself?

^yeah cross buy lol

shaowebb

I played so much yesterday offline. Rachel and Platinum are just too fun.

Here's hoping for the best in 2.0.

Platinum the Trinity was all I messed around with in Extend outside of the visual novel. I love characters with crazy pressure and her cycle of powers was so fun to use. I loved that you could use some of them several times or just go whole hog and do some crazy super powerful variant of that ability like her bullet bills. My fave was the overhead though. Between divekick pogo fun times and that she was just a joy to play with.

I should start reading her data alongside of Bullet on Dustloop. I have no idea what Platinum the Trinity is supposed to use, just how fun she was to screw around with.

Oh man, I don't think I've ever had more fun with a BlazBlue game. I feel like I'm picking up things faster in Chrono Phantasma than I ever did when I was playing Continuum Shift, though whether that's due to overarching system changes or a shift in the way I learn the game I'm not sure. Felt like my time in CS was more focused on trying to learn BnBs rather than learning how a character physically "functions" in the neutral game so I've been going through and playing with characters with a priority on making sure I find out the properties of their normals, specials, and general movement options. Its been great so far.

Bang and Platinum are totally crack to me right now, probably gonna be messing with Tager as I relearn his shenanigans as well but im at a point where I'm just seeing what all the new characters can do at the moment.

ironmang

Just picked this up via the PSN sale.

First thing I noticed was, coming from SF4, the default button layout on an arcade stick seems a little weird. Anybody have a suggestion for a better layout for me? I was just going to change it to:

A B C
D

Probably should map the other buttons too but not sure what would be the most useful yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just picked this up via the PSN sale.

First thing I noticed was, coming from SF4, the default button layout on an arcade stick seems a little weird. Anybody have a suggestion for a better layout for me? I was just going to change it to:

A B C
D

Probably should map the other buttons too but not sure what would be the most useful yet.

That works well on stick

Top Bottom