• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

GGs Milk. I still need to relearn a bunch of Tager stuff but I sincerely enjoyed playing your Platinum all the same. Always had to attempt to armor / guard point through the projectiles as I saw them.

:p

I need to pick a character to learn, but I pretty much have no experience with fighting games.

From playing SF4 for like half an hour all I can say is that I have no idea how to properly apply pressure and usually end up turtling until I get opened up and eat a ton of damage and lose the match. I crumble really easily under pressure.

Not to mention that I don't even know how to pick a character for my play style because I don't have one. Usually I just do it by feel so I was trying Jin in CT and Hazama in CS. Tried playing Kanji in P4A because that grappler burst damage is very appealing to beginner scrubs like me. However I never really played any of those games long enough to properly learn anything.

SF4 analogs don't really carry over to a game like BlazBlue I feel. As for everything else you can always try hitting up one of the people here, all the better if you have a mic and they can give you pointers in game. If you're just starting out with fighting games as a whole I'd probably recommend picking up a character that has a little bit of everything (Ragna was mentioned a bit higher up) so that you can develop as a player without having to deal with any glaring weaknesses with the character itself. If you're still having trouble getting out certain motions or something then I think that should be one of your higher priorities in terms of things to polish up asap.

Beyond that ... maybe watch some match vids to get a feel for how the game looks when its played correctly and copy accordingly? Try not to fall into a trap where you're focusing on just your combo stuff too.

shaowebb

try everyone!

or do it my way by picking the characters with the largest bust

Shame on you. You'll never experience the greatness of Rachel and Plat.

tcaS2PI.gif
EetUlTF.gif
ZaOn6Ca.gif
4LTICYc.gif

I love this character's animations. So troll to win with. So over the top and fun to wreck stuff with. My God do I love her overhead and pogo antics. Such good pressure to open folks up with.

shaowebb

Seems like there are a lot of Platinums on GAF.

Even though I don't really know this game well yet she was about all I played in Extend. I love pressure characters and her roulette of magical girl powers you could either use or blow all in one go were amazingly fun. Mainly though the pressure from her pogo, and the overhead had me hooked but the goodness of that bubble trap...god does she ever have tools. So much to enjoy there...plus when you win she either rides away on a merry-go-round horsey or pokes the shit outta you on the ground. Damned entertaining to watch.

Rhapsody

Banned
Even though I don't really know this game well yet she was about all I played in Extend. I love pressure characters and her roulette of magical girl powers you could either use or blow all in one go were amazingly fun. Mainly though the pressure from her pogo, and the overhead had me hooked but the goodness of that bubble trap...god does she ever have tools. So much to enjoy there...plus when you win she either rides away on a merry-go-round horsey or pokes the shit outta you on the ground. Damned entertaining to watch.

236A? I don't think that's actually good to pressure with outside of bubble shenanigans midscreen.
But yeah, she has a ton of fun pressure and mixups going for her. Miracle Jeanne Bombs are super fun.

Platinum sucks, don't use her. Disco's description of her was spot on. Too much effort, not enough reward.

GGs Milk. I still need to relearn a bunch of Tager stuff but I sincerely enjoyed playing your Platinum all the same. Always had to attempt to armor / guard point through the projectiles as I saw them.

:p

Yea, it was fun watching you figure stuff out.

Ohnonono

If you straight up hit someone with DD,4DD with Nu is there anything to follow that up or is it just a way to get more zoning pressure? Right now its a 4 hit combo. Also if you hit low enough can you combo j2DD into DD,4DD for a 6 hit? these may be dumb questions but I am trying to figure this out on my own because looking at combo vids and stuff just never sticks.

Mdesilva

Wow holy crap, I didn't realize that BlazBlue had "Free for All" lobbies where there are multiple matches going on at a single time. They're done really well too since you don't need to wait for the current rotation to finish before starting a match with someone. And ya know ... they don't break the UI.

Why are there such a disproportionate amount of Match/Spectate rooms when the free for all lobby option exists? Do people just prefer doing the walk around one with the chibi avatars?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If you straight up hit someone with DD,4DD with Nu is there anything to follow that up or is it just a way to get more zoning pressure? Right now its a 4 hit combo. Also if you hit low enough can you combo j2DD into DD,4DD for a 6 hit? these may be dumb questions but I am trying to figure this out on my own because looking at combo vids and stuff just never sticks.
DD 4DD qcf D, or DD 4DD~66 into a setup if the spacing is right.

At certain ranges you can hit astral with DD~66, Astral.

I hope you didn't notice all the blank spaces before linking that thread. :(

shaowebb

Platinum sucks, don't use her. Disco's description of her was spot on. Too much effort, not enough reward.

If she's fun and I'm entertained I'll use her regardless of tiers. Fun is the name of any game for me.I know I'm not good at BB and I'm still learning it, but its not always about whose the best. Its about who folks enjoy that make a game memorable to them IMO. Hell I used Arthur and Ironfist in Marvel and ran Ryu in Vanilla.

GGs again milk, really odd place for my internet to completely crap out on me there but it made me laugh regardless. I'm really at a loss as to what to combat Platinum's pokes with. Especially with Tager I feel like nearly all of my stuff is beaten out by her damn 5A, guy gets cornered and it's GG. Time to learn a zoner!

GGs again milk, really odd place for my internet to completely crap out on me there but it made me laugh regardless. I'm really at a loss as to what to combat Platinum's pokes with. Especially with Tager I feel like nearly all of my stuff is beaten out by her damn 5A, guy gets cornered and it's GG. Time to learn a zoner!

Backdash grab!

But yeah, if you get cornered, you're pretty screwed.

If you pick up Mu, our win ratios will easily reverse

But yea, just backdash 720 more

Tager backdash sucks in 1.10. Much easier to punish a wakeup reversal backdash unless the netplay delay is that bad.

Yeah this is basically what I was facing, the backdashes would often get stuffed in a lot of situations and Platinum in particular can chill in a location where her pokes/oki strings leave her all but immune to it.

But it's okay guys because I'm gonna try a zoner. His name is Azrael.

shaowebb

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Hooooooooooooooly shit. I just got off the phone with Comcast to cancel my internet before I move and I was curious how they measured up to my 50mbs service that I'm switching to.

Comcast had honest to God throttled me down to 6mbs download XD
03LAvLf.gif

DEM AFRICAN INTERNETS!
*note this was after me UPGRADING a few months back too. I pay like $70-ish for internet only in WV*

Fuuuuuuuuuuck playing me online folks.

I'm still wondering why I get to level 20-30 on each blazblue game if I don't even like the games. I must be here just to pass time and hate on the crew. I feel like I'm stinkmeanering this game.

Yeah this is basically what I was facing, the backdashes would often get stuffed in a lot of situations and Platinum in particular can chill in a location where her pokes/oki strings leave her all but immune to it.

But it's okay guys because I'm gonna try a zoner. His name is Azrael.

Azrael isn't a zoner. He's also link based so his timing's pretty strict.

Azrael isn't a zoner. He's also link based so his timing's pretty strict.

He sometimes has a projectile and that's zoner enough for me! And yeah going through his stuff now and this guy is no joke. Immense respect for anyone who can use him well.

Unlocking Kagura is gonna be a pain ...

RoeBear

He sometimes has a projectile and that's zoner enough for me! And yeah going through his stuff now and this guy is no joke. Immense respect for anyone who can use him well.

Nah, Only character that gets auto respect from me is Tager and maybe Carl. Tager either has to be really smart at guessing, or good with gimmicks. If they are neither they will lose.

Kagura has probably one of the best reversals in the game.

Azrael makes no sense. I seriously think that I'm losing the battle... One combo later, I'm winning. Everything he does feels like plus frames, and every move is a 50/50 guessing game. Also, a dash that goes to the other side? I get confused myself. Best mixup ever.

Seriously, I win more games half assing with Azrael than Terumi.

OceanBlue

Azrael makes no sense. I seriously think that I'm losing the battle... One combo later, I'm winning. Everything he does feels like plus frames, and every move is a 50/50 guessing game. Also, a dash that goes to the other side? I get confused myself. Best mixup ever.

How effective are the Azrael crossup OSes? I don't know any Azrael players (I might pick him up so people I know have MU experience against him) so I've never actually tried it.

Rhapsody

Banned

Most of his stuff are plus besides his drive normals. His mixup potential goes up once you learn how to TK his specials.

Azrael can easily destroy people that don't know which block to use or when to mash.
How effective are the Azrael crossup OSes? I don't know any Azrael players (I might pick him up so people I know have MU experience against him) so I've never actually tried it.
Pretty good. It's just a matter of not doing it at the wrong time. Galileo was probably doing that against Dogura at Evo. Either that or he called out the cross up since he knew Dogura was doing it far too often.
That's probably the best way to have it. That way you won't go easy on them ;)

Haha, I remember when someone sent me a message back in CT for saying he had respect for me using such a hard character. Too bad Rachel was actually pretty dumb in that game. Then when CS1 came around, most messages revolved around "you have my sympathy"

Dia: If you're close enough you can do 5DD > 4DD > 4B > into a much better combo, like almost anything you want.
Asides from that, there's not much else you can do asides from 236D(~C if they're really far) for the knockdown or spend meter to keep the combo going.

Luna: 5DD > 4DD doesn't actually combo but after either of those you can do 236B which can lead into a lot of things depending on the spacing.

j.2DD has too much recovery to land and combo into 5DD. It's better to poke with j.2D(D) and then confirm from there what you want to do. You may be able to get some weird combo off of j.2D CH but that's really hard to confirm unless you're looking out for it. Otherwise the only combo you'll be able to from j.2DD on a grounded opponent is j.214D, which may whiff depending on which stance you're in lol

I always get blown up by one Azrael's 3D and 6D. I haven't really had any match up experience with him asides from online so the lag makes it really hard to react to the animation.
Luckily one of my friends decided to pick him up after Evo.
As a Nu main; Growler and Gustaf really makes me salty though. Why is Gustaf +1 on block. :/

My strategy against Kagura and Azreal players is to barrier while mashing 4 and 1.

If they are good and I get hit it is pretty much game over. My only hope is for a one hit victory (only when I play Noel).

Rhapsody

Banned
If you are not barriering Az away from you, you are fucking up.

I'd say it depends. You don't want to always barrier him. Barriering his drive screws you over hard when you could've started offense.

But yeah, barrier helps against autopiloting Azraels. If they're not thinking and 5BBing everything, the second one ends up whiffing, so you can go for a whiff punish.

Edit: Oh, and IB 6C. No reason to let him lazily reset pressure so easily.

Top Bottom