• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

Narroo

But then frankly I think Makoto is pretty damn useless herself with her only role being "Tsubaki Friend #2"

Which is funny given how much she was favored in her story mode in Extend.
I doubt Hazama is dead. He's been the main villain for two games, and a co-villain for the third. He's Ragna's arch-nemesis. They're not killing him off so undramatically while Ragna is off doing other things.

Of course, that makes the whole Terumi subplot in CP pointless, but hey, who's expecting the writing here to be that good?

I guess that's the weakness of a focused story mode. Some characters are likely to have little to no role (
Taokaka
) in the story.

While with separate story modes for each character everyone gets a chance to do something, but that can be a bit iffy too if everything takes place at the same time so there's not much sense of progression/moving forward each time you play through one.

I wonder which way GGXrd will go.

antibolo

Banned
We were determining the differences in load times between the Vita's physical and digital versions.

Yes I know, but I'm still confused by your "only the menus take some time to load". I also have the digital version and there is definitely a long unskippable wait before matches.

Ran into Apollo, had a set with him

Got destroyed at first, something like 3-11 before I lost count lol

But then ran it back a bit, prolly ended like 6-4 in his favor

Ohnonono

I played real people on the Vita! So I got crushed .... astral finished like every match. They were clearly very good players but it was still fun. Found a room with someone closer to my level and managed to win one and lose one before he bailed. I would imagine having and IRL person to help you with this game would make it so much easier because the high skill guys were clearly playing with their food and I am sure there were some simple pointers that could help.

Surprisingly more ppl playing on vita than I thought though, they just dont seem to play ranked, they just make player rooms. Regardless still having lots of fun with this game. I know I am getting better but still I fell like a mad scrub.

Is funny I see a lot of Gaffers I use to play with in the OG BlazBlue and CS 1.0 playing Under Night on the PS3 just when I got back into BlazBlue on the PSN :(

Uraizen

Banned
I don't ever plan to stop playing blazblue unless they magically fuck it up and bring it down to CT levels of shit again. UNiB is great, but I still like this series more.

I played real people on the Vita! So I got crushed .... astral finished like every match. They were clearly very good players but it was still fun. Found a room with someone closer to my level and managed to win one and lose one before he bailed. I would imagine having and IRL person to help you with this game would make it so much easier because the high skill guys were clearly playing with their food and I am sure there were some simple pointers that could help.

Surprisingly more ppl playing on vita than I thought though, they just dont seem to play ranked, they just make player rooms. Regardless still having lots of fun with this game. I know I am getting better but still I fell like a mad scrub.

Playing real opponents than AI is much, much different. Instead of thinking "how can I exploit the system?", you start thinking "how can I outplay my opponent?" It's much more rewarding.

Is funny I see a lot of Gaffers I use to play with in the OG BlazBlue and CS 1.0 playing Under Night on the PS3 just when I got back into BlazBlue on the PSN :(

Pretty sure most people will play both.

Rhapsody

Banned
How's that a spoiler? Since when is: "She has a story mode, like every other character, and get's a good lime light" a spoiler?

He wasn't referring to the line he quoted. He referred to the stuff after that line since he didn't want to quote the spoilers themselves.

Pics_nao

Finally played an online game since actually learning how to use Izayoi. Got fucking bopped by a Hakumen that did nothing but spam C moves. Holy **** I need to learn how to block

Ohnonono

Playing real opponents than AI is much, much different. Instead of thinking "how can I exploit the system?", you start thinking "how can I outplay my opponent?" It's much more rewarding.

Pretty sure most people will play both.

For sure its better. I need to get my BnB stuff really down though, I start to get all panicky and mash shit. Also most of the people were way up off my level pretty obviously. The person I found who was right around my skill level was lots of fun though. I got to hit some combos and it felt like I could think before getting bounced around for half the match.

antibolo

Banned
Finally played an online game since actually learning how to use Izayoi. Got fucking bopped by a Hakumen that did nothing but spam C moves. Holy **** I need to learn how to block

For what it's worth, Izayoi is considered bottom tier (or at least she was pre-patch, not sure now).

Uraizen

Banned
For what it's worth, Izayoi is considered bottom tier (or at least she was pre-patch, not sure now).

Way better now, imo. You just need to put in a lot of work with her. In other words, she's not a character for new players or an "easy to play, hard to master" type of character.

Pics_nao

Yeah I know but I don't want any excuses for my shit performance. It did make me switch back to Hazama right after though D:

How the hell am I even supposed to play 1.1 Hazama anyway? How much has he changed from 1.0?

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah I know but I don't want any excuses for my shit performance. It did make me switch back to Hazama right after though D:

How the hell am I even supposed to play 1.1 Hazama anyway? How much has he changed from 1.0?

It's the same gameplan. It's just with j.C having less untechable time, you'll be doing less loops on average.

That and you can't convert j.C from super jump height, land, and then loops lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nu looks a lot closer to her CT self now
Her swords seem to be doing more damage now, although it could be my imagination.

She can now Arc Parser into the air, and her ground spike now has a short version in addition to halfscreen and fullscreen.

And she has calamity sword as a full-time distortion again!

Edit: Huh, Lambda has some interesting stuff, but I'm happy high tackle wall bounces again.

Ground sickle seems to go further and they mentioned it not having a ~C version.

They also made her overhead 6B as the two hit version and 4B is how her old 5B with her new 5B presumably being her old 6B.

Her swords seem to be doing more damage now, although it could be my imagination.

She can now Arc Parser into the air, and her ground spike now has a short version in addition to halfscreen and fullscreen.

She's definitely doing more damage but I wouldn't expect the damage to stay after the loketests, Celica's damage is pretty ridiculous too from those combos.
The calamity sword looks like it appears at quite a distance in front of her compared to Lambda's sword which fall's literally right next to her. That would certainly limit it's uses as a reversal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
She's definitely doing more damage but I wouldn't expect the damage to stay after the loketests, Celica's damage is pretty ridiculous too from those combos.
The calamity sword looks like it appears at quite a distance in front of her compared to Lambda's sword which fall's literally right next to her. That would certainly limit it's uses as a reversal.
Lambda's Calamity Sword is supposed to track the opponent now. Its properties will probably be useful for combos and not much else.

Dlent

Is it common to have gigantic lag spikes in three bar matches? I feel like the bars don't accurately represent connection quality, or this game just has unusually bad netcode for an Arcsys game.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is it common to have gigantic lag spikes in three bar matches? I feel like the bars don't accurately represent connection quality, or this game just has unusually bad netcode for an Arcsys game.

In my experience the bars are a mix of distance and stable connection, but mostly the former.

If you're having lag spikes though instead of a huge delay, that could either be because one player is on wireless or doing something else on the internet like torrenting/streaming.

I haven't really gotten a lag spike if my opponent or I wasn't the cause of it.

Uraizen

Banned

Edit: Huh, Lambda has some interesting stuff, but I'm happy high tackle wall bounces again.

Ground sickle seems to go further and they mentioned it not having a ~C version.

They also made her overhead 6B as the two hit version and 4B is how her old 5B with her new 5B presumably being her old 6B.

Lambda's Calamity Sword is supposed to track the opponent now. Its properties will probably be useful for combos and not much else.

Good to know...
Keep your enemies closer, etc.

Uraizen

Banned
Man, the player base has vanished since UNIEL dropped. I can't find matches for the life of me except for between the hours of like, 9 and 11 pm.

I'm waiting for loketest info next week. Knowing the version you're playing has chars that might be radically changed in the update is a bit of a buzzkill, too. Arc loves to radically change their characters in updates, that's why I want to hear what it'll be like at the loketest.

Pics_nao

I'm waiting for loketest info next week. Knowing the version you're playing has chars that might be radically changed in the update is a bit of a buzzkill, too. Arc loves to radically change their characters in updates, that's why I want to hear what it'll be like at the loketest.

Don't the usually end up not keeping a bunch of changes? At least in P4U2 Liz went from not garbage in the first two or so loketest to being still ass tier in the full release

Onemic

I do, and I'd probably have a good connection with you if your internet is half-decent. Let me add you to PSN.

sweet

Can you give me some tips on how to get started with her in terms of neutral strategy as well as important combos to learn when just starting out? the dust forums seem like they only have a quarter of her stuff done

Essay

sweet

Can you give me some tips on how to get started with her in terms of neutral strategy as well as important combos to learn when just starting out? the dust forums seem like they only have a quarter of her stuff done

I'm still pretty new to BB, but I'll see what I can do.

Neutral seems really match-up dependent to me. Some characters have trouble dealing with her staffed options leaving you to speed-up and slow-down the pace at will, for some you have to plant and send out the staff deliberately (for example, for cutting through nu's projectiles, which it eats up quite nicely) and follow it in, and other times I find myself constantly maneuvering and harassing with the staff in constant motion until I get my opportunity to rush-down. Learning how to frustrate and set up pressure by avoiding anti-airs with her staffed and staffless j.D might be a good thing to get used to early.

As for combos, she doesn't have much in terms of basic stuff beyond short-confirms into DP or sweep > staff set, and this still won't get you far unless you have the pressure and oki to back it up after. Instead, let me just mention a few combo pieces and ideas that were important for me in getting her midscreen damage up to respectable levels.

Legend: (e) = staffless, (m) = staffed, hopefully the rest of the notation looks familiar.

1a) Itsuu A juggle link: ...juggle into staff's return hit (aka "staff2") 66 5B-4B(m), 41236D~A xx 421D, 3C-2D...
The staffed 4B > 41236D~A link is a pretty important one, and more challenging than most links in this game as you have to get the stance to come out on the first possible frame, and still get the A follow-up to come out right away as well. You're going to want to use the button-hold trick (hold button down to repeat the input for 5 frames) to make sure that happens, but you still have to get the rhythm between the two button presses correct within a few frames.
Until you get confident with this middle combo piece, you're probably better off ending your combos with 6D(1) xx 623D after the 4B (which you also have to do in some lower juggles anyway).

1b) Itsuu A xx 421D, microdash 3C-2D...
Make this second-nature too. The microdash isn't always necessary, but you have to get 421D to come out on the first cancellable frame, so use the button-hold trick. Depending where you are on screen you end up going into...
...microdash 6C(2) or 5B-6C(2) > [staff2, 6A] or 3C(m) > super (works everywhere, but requires you to choose correctly based on about 7 possible screen-positioning quadrants)
...staff1 421C > corner combo (from a little out from corner)
...staff1, 3C xx 421C > corner combo (corner)

3) Itsuu-B confirms
My highest damage midscreen, non-OD combos tend to include Itsuu-B. If you can land this move in neutral, you want to convert it into damage, either like this from range:
41236D~B, 41236D, 421[C], 66 5B-4B, 41236D~A...
or like this from close:
41236D~B, 5[D], ][236A xx 236B xx 236C staff2, 66 5B-4B...
You can RC into the close variation from staffed 6D confirms vs standing/crouching (first or second hit, but first preferred for long combos) or staffed 6A if you're confident they won't block.

4) ...3C(m) RC 6B jc IAD j.B-j.A, 5B-4B...
Another better use of 50% meter than just comboing into staffed super. Even if you're not confident in linking Itsuu A after for the damage, the 6D(1) xx 623D ender will give better oki than the super does. The trick to this is doing the instant-airdash j.B a little late, and gattling into j.A even later than you'd expect. I think it's possible on everyone, but some characters definitely make it easier than others.

5) Dash-momentum Itsuu's
These can be useful in neutral if someone's hanging out just outside of the tip of Itsuu's range, but they're also good for adjusting spacing in some combos. Try this to get the motion down:
staffed backthrow > 412366D~A xx 623D, 236A xx 236B xx 63214A...
If you do it right, Litchi will slide forward when she goes into stance. Other combos will require dash-momentum rekkas as well.

Otherwise, I'll just say that her corner combos are much easier sources of damage when you're just starting, but I'll leave you to figure those out for yourself.

Onemic

So would you at least say that when in staff mode her focus should be on footsies or no? How good are her normals in staffed mode vs staffless? Also for that first combo when does the notation begin exactly?

Shun

BuruRaji, BlazBlue's online web radio show, is the best thing to come from this series in forever.

I'm catching up on the episodes and they're pretty funny. The Blayzbloo art makes it better.

BuruRaji, BlazBlue's online web radio show, is the best thing to come from this series in forever.

I'm catching up on the episodes and they're pretty funny. The Blayzbloo art makes it better.

"Why is the robot wearing panties?"
"They're not panties!"

Top Bottom