• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

Okay, really dumb question. Is Story Mode..just story w/ no fights in between? So it's just like a visual novel/cut scenes?

Again, first game I've bought in the series (dumb I know). Really am loving the other modes though. Was just confused by the purpose of story mode.

It's a ton of dialog and very few fights. I don't give a fuck about the story, so I had my brother beat it for me.

Mononoke

Banned
From what I remember, fights in CP's story mode were less frequent than in the previous installments. There'll be a few to break up your reading, though, even if they're really not very interesting.

Are you already acquainted with the story from the first three games?

No I'm not! I actually just bought the game, because I wanted a good fighting game. I've been playing a lot of Murumasa and just beat Demon Gaze. Half way done with Soul Sacrifice Delta. So I thought it would be a good game to diversify my current Vita library.

That said, I only started playing the story mode, because I like it in fighting games, when there is a story and fights are connected to it. So even though I figured I wouldn't understand the overall plot, it would be nice. But so far I've played 3 episodes (Sector Seven Route), and I've only gotten to Episode 3 with no fights (and I can't progress past Episode 3, despite Episode 3 not having any options to choose).

So I'm assuming I need to play the other routes too, and that will eventually open up the more episodes in the other routes? (Sorry for the dumb questions). I guess worst case scenario, I can just jump back into the other modes. Having a blast playing the actual fights.

Maybe I should just read online past story points. *shrugs*. I don't hate what I've seen so far.

NEO0MJ

So I'm assuming I need to play the other routes too, and that will eventually open up the more episodes in the other routes?

Yep. As for the story mode, it's incredibly long and convoluted with a lot of names to memorize. Still, you need to finish it to unlock the final character. According to the tier list he's pretty weak but I find him pretty fun to play.

Essay

Better late than never

So would you at least say that when in staff mode her focus should be on footsies or no? How good are her normals in staffed mode vs staffless? Also for that first combo when does the notation begin exactly?

I'd say that her focus CAN be on footsy things when staffed (i.e. counter-poking, wiff-punishing, spacing, zoning, abusing your DP's hitbox), but it depends on the match-up. She's got a variety of tools, but with her staffed game-plan usually it's just about making the opponent respect a particular option so that they hesitate and let you start your mode-switch pressure game. The thing is that, depending on your opponent's character, just forcing them to play around your staff-call can work just as well to let you get in, so I find I center as much of my footsies around positioning and timing staff releases in staffless mode, as I do dancing around my peak ranges when staffed.

Her normals in both modes are good, but they do completely different things. When staffed, you don't have any quick lows, so your pressure becomes more about frame-trapping or setting your staff mid-string (or doing both by late-chaining into 6D!) until you can go staffless on them. Staffless, your range (without staff-calls in the picture) peaks at her 2B(e) range, so if your opponent isn't worrying about your staff (for example, it's flying behind you or it's sitting motionless behind them), your neutral and poking just isn't as threatening. Still, I'd argue every normal in both stances has its use.

As for that first combo, the notions I included in 1a) and 1b) are the middle and end of a combo you can start from bullet 3). I also go into it when I anti-air people who aren't air-barriering and for certain staff-position-dependant combos. Unfortunately, it's not quite something you can just go into from regular hits from normals, short of RC'ing into Itsuu. Because of this, even at top levels, you see staffed Litchi often settling for oki and extending pressure, rather than converting every hit into 3k the way some other characters do. Apologies for not making that more clear... and for inexplicably failing to include a bullet 2). >.>

I want to like Litchi but this execution wall is intense....It would be ok if BB was the only fighter I play but it aint

Yeah, you're an SF player, right? The transition wasn't bad for me because my main game is GGXXAC+R, so I've already got a feel for airdasher execution and mechanics, and a variety of people to play at different levels. I think it takes a lot of knowledge-gathering (re: on match-ups, mechanics, strategies) to get comfortable in CP even before you settle on a character. Normally, to make up for this, there are a lot of easy-to-pick-up characters in this game with simple gameplans and low execution requirements to give you time to focus on the core game, but Litchi's not really one of them. She has all the tools to let you feel like a mad genius when everything comes together though, so I have to recommend learning her if you have the time/drive.

Onemic

Better late than never

I'd say that her focus CAN be on footsy things when staffed (i.e. counter-poking, wiff-punishing, spacing, zoning, abusing your DP's hitbox), but it depends on the match-up. She's got a variety of tools, but with her staffed game-plan usually it's just about making the opponent respect a particular option so that they hesitate and let you start your mode-switch pressure game. The thing is that, depending on your opponent's character, just forcing them to play around your staff-call can work just as well to let you get in, so I find I center as much of my footsies around positioning and timing staff releases in staffless mode, as I do dancing around my peak ranges when staffed.

Her normals in both modes are good, but they do completely different things. When staffed, you don't have any quick lows, so your pressure becomes more about frame-trapping or setting your staff mid-string (or doing both by late-chaining into 6D!) until you can go staffless on them. Staffless, your range (without staff-calls in the picture) peaks at her 2B(e) range, so if your opponent isn't worrying about your staff (for example, it's flying behind you or it's sitting motionless behind them), your neutral and poking just isn't as threatening. Still, I'd argue every normal in both stances has its use.

As for that first combo, the notions I included in 1a) and 1b) are the middle and end of a combo you can start from bullet 3). I also go into it when I anti-air people who aren't air-barriering and for certain staff-position-dependant combos. Unfortunately, it's not quite something you can just go into from regular hits from normals, short of RC'ing into Itsuu. Because of this, even at top levels, you see staffed Litchi often settling for oki and extending pressure, rather than converting every hit into 3k the way some other characters do. Apologies for not making that more clear... and for inexplicably failing to include a bullet 2). >.>

Yeah, you're an SF player, right? The transition wasn't bad for me because my main game is GGXXAC+R, so I've already got a feel for airdasher execution and mechanics, and a variety of people to play at different levels. I think it takes a lot of knowledge-gathering (re: on match-ups, mechanics, strategies) to get comfortable in CP even before you settle on a character. Normally, to make up for this, there are a lot of easy-to-pick-up characters in this game with simple gameplans and low execution requirements to give you time to focus on the core game, but Litchi's not really one of them. She has all the tools to let you feel like a mad genius when everything comes together though, so I have to recommend learning her if you have the time/drive.

Thanks for the explanation

And ya, SF is my main fighter. I honestly wouldnt mind the execution barrier if things were laid out nice and easy(i.e. Izayoi is high on execution but I have never really been annoyed at trying her out because everything I need to know is easily laid out without me having to extensively search) The info on Litchi though seems to be near non existent. Dustloop barely has a combo thread complete on her and its been months since release(they only have her corner combos done), not to mention strategy/oki/mixups, so past that it's asking people or looking at match videos, both of which I hate doing when I'm at such an early learning stage.

I'm stuck between committing to Izayoi or committing to Litchi. Which would you say is harder to learn? Right now I dont have much of a problem getting Izayoi's combos down, Litchi's though are on another level.

Essay

And ya, SF is my main fighter. I honestly wouldnt mind the execution barrier if things were laid out nice and easy(i.e. Izayoi is high on execution but I have never really been annoyed at trying her out because everything I need to know is easily laid out without me having to extensively search) The info on Litchi though seems to be near non existent. Dustloop barely has a combo thread complete on her and its been months since release(they only have her corner combos done), not to mention strategy/oki/mixups, so past that it's asking people or looking at match videos, both of which I hate doing when I'm at such an early learning stage.

I pretend to myself that the reason that there's little organization on the Dustloop Litchi forums is that Lord Knight is the subforum moderator and he doesn't want an army of Kokonoe's worst match-up getting their stuff together. xD

Joking aside, I think she's a hard character to map out a guide for, and it just so happens that her player base there doesn't have the time to map things out. Also, with patch 1.1, her combos lost some of their easier junctions, which might have thinned out the number of players with free time, who would have otherwise progressed to writing up guides. #Speculation

Crunching for Evo motivated me to learn what I did, and most of the progress came from watching 1.1 JPN Litchi footage while pausing and taking notes, but I guess I had the existing airdasher fluency from GG to make that easier, and keep my expectations realistic.

I'm stuck between committing to Izayoi or committing to Litchi. Which would you say is harder to learn? Right now I dont have much of a problem getting Izayoi's combos down, Litchi's though are on another level.

I only tried Izayoi at casuals back on day 1 of CP 1.0 (because: hover-dash, obviously), so I can't really comment. If I had more time, I'd take her for another spin, but... too many UNIEL characters I want to play. QQ

Izayoi and Litchi have a similar gameplan, imo. Both have stance changes and both have really annoying set ups/traps. The main difference is that Izayoi sucks and Litchi doesn't. In other words, you'll see more benefits and less work with Litchi (theoretically speaking).

Honestly though, execution aside, it's much more important on how to get the combos started. You can learn all the combos you want but if you can't land a hit, they're worthless. See what you can do with the characters first then invest (ie: Teleport mixups with Izayoi, staff lockdowns with Litchi).

Another thing to remember is to watch videos and LOTS of it. There are so many ways to use a character that watching various ones will give you a general idea on how to use them. See what they do under pressure, what kind of combos they start on AA, what they do against a certain move, how to keep pressure, etc.

Onemic

Izayoi and Litchi have a similar gameplan, imo. Both have stance changes and both have really annoying set ups/traps. The main difference is that Izayoi sucks and Litchi doesn't. In other words, you'll see more benefits and less work with Litchi (theoretically speaking).

Honestly though, execution aside, it's much more important on how to get the combos started. You can learn all the combos you want but if you can't land a hit, they're worthless. See what you can do with the characters first then invest (ie: Teleport mixups with Izayoi, staff lockdowns with Litchi).

Another thing to remember is to watch videos and LOTS of it. There are so many ways to use a character that watching various ones will give you a general idea on how to use them. See what they do under pressure, what kind of combos they start on AA, what they do against a certain move, how to keep pressure, etc.

tbh I like how Litchi plays more when I watch match videos and the fact that Ramlethal sorta borrows some things from her, it's just that information is so sparse on a character that's so technical...Guess i'll watch some match videos and take notes *sigh*

Kikirin

Google Translate has the unfortunate tendency to translate "やれる" as that. I guess it does have that definition as slang.

As far as mentions of Makoto go, they mentioned the change to the parry/followup's inputs, but also that Impact Lv. 2 can be special canceled.

Nyoro SF

Azrael
- "Growler Field" now has only projectile invincibility

RIP

Also no Hakumen notes. Maybe I don't want to see them
Let me empty cancel 5D into specials

He's still got backdash at the very least. But now I can use pumpkin or OS with Terumi to deal with backdash, so I'm good.

I'm interested in Terumi's changes. It's not right that I was able to rank up after 2 weeks of Azrael but couldn't with Terumi.

Although without any big changes, I don't think Terumi will go up in tiers and I don't think Azrael will be dropping either.

Uraizen

Banned
Kokonoe
- Graviton gauge has changed. Now Kokonoe has 9 stocks of Graviton orbs.
- Both setting and activating consume 1 from the meter.
- Recovers when there are no Gravitons on the screen
- You can delay "Activate" by holding the button. You can build intesting stuff with it.

Did she even change?

Hazama
- Ouroboros meter changed. Now it's more easier to follow the meter
- Increased stock to 3

O-Okay.

Izayoi
- "Aegis Blade" is now a reversal move with invincibility
- "Strike Fall" can be cancelled to either "Valkyrie Astrea" and "Mirage Thruster"
- Izayoi has new cancel routes

Ooooh, this explains the nuclear drop buff. She can combo after a non-super reversal now.

How would this work and what does it do

Think of an alpha counter-ish mechanic, except instead of knocking away the opponent you go SSJ and get a guaranteed combo
maybe

I'm just hype for new and improved Makoto. Also OverDrive block cancel is going to be hilarious on her.

I'm more thinking of how hilarious it'll be on Tager and Bullet. Pressuring them when they've got meter and you'll be out at least 50% if you can't jump cancel. Insane.

Is that the only thing they changed about Azrael? If so then I don't have much to worry about.

I don't think the loketests are out yet, so probably not in the final version. Loketests are weird though because even with the tests, the final version may be totally different (lol CS1 Rachel). I'm still so angry about that.

OceanBlue

I don't think the loketests are out yet, so probably not in the final version. Loketests are weird though because even with the tests, the final version may be totally different (lol CS1 Rachel). I'm still so angry about that.

Yeah, this is why I'm not really too concerned with the changes in loketests. A lot of changes don't even make it to the next loketest.

360pages

No I'm not! I actually just bought the game, because I wanted a good fighting game. I've been playing a lot of Murumasa and just beat Demon Gaze. Half way done with Soul Sacrifice Delta. So I thought it would be a good game to diversify my current Vita library.

That said, I only started playing the story mode, because I like it in fighting games, when there is a story and fights are connected to it. So even though I figured I wouldn't understand the overall plot, it would be nice. But so far I've played 3 episodes (Sector Seven Route), and I've only gotten to Episode 3 with no fights (and I can't progress past Episode 3, despite Episode 3 not having any options to choose).

So I'm assuming I need to play the other routes too, and that will eventually open up the more episodes in the other routes? (Sorry for the dumb questions). I guess worst case scenario, I can just jump back into the other modes. Having a blast playing the actual fights.

Maybe I should just read online past story points. *shrugs*. I don't hate what I've seen so far.

You could probably get by with just playing Extend since it has a decent portion of the first story in there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Yeah you need to do all 3 paths to get to the next section.

The way the sector seven story works is a little weird as it doesn't really happen in the same timeline as the other 2

shaowebb

Okay, I'm only just now getting back in after the move and trying to study up for my job's stuff. What is this stuff I am seeing. Is there a new balance patch or something?

Yeah that's true. As long as they don't screw over his offense too much then I won't have too much of a problem with it.

I'm just worried because he's pretty much the only character that I enjoy playing. Bullet is fun too, but that's it. In most fighting games I play a shitload of characters so I can deal with changes to characters because I can just pick another if I don't like what happened to my old one. I won't really be able to do that this time. Azrael ruined every other character in the game for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
Why? They hardly play similar at all in my opinion.
At the start of CS console, all we had were Hazama, Tsubaki, and then Mu for new characters.

I guess she just appealed to people more compared to others (visually).

In CS1, I learned Rachel, Tsubaki, Makoto and Ragna.
Nothing really interested me so I just dropped it eventually.

I guess Cs1 Hazama as well.

Top Bottom