• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Decado

Quick question: Is there another blazblue game coming out this summer? I could swear I saw mention of it in one of these threads. I may be mistaken, though.

Also, is there still much of an online community for this version?

xero273

Decado said:
Quick question: Is there another blazblue game coming out this summer? I could swear I saw mention of it in one of these threads. I may be mistaken, though.

CS2 should be coming soon. It is coming out for handhelds next month so expect it to hit console soon. No, you won't need to pay for it. From what was said CS2 is a free update patch.

Decado said:

On 360 I have no problem finding games.

Ran into an amazing Carl Clover last night that kept beating me, but I eventually got my revenge! :D

Also had an incredible match against a level 50 Tager. Generally the number doesn't mean much, but this guy was better than average and the match came down to the wire. Fortunately I pulled victory from the jaws of defeat.

Man, I'd love to be able to post matches. :(

Yeah, honestly, I don't think this game is for me. I can't even do Ragna's - who is meant to have lenient timing - 3rd challenge (linking to standing b), which I'm guessing is this games equivalent of a BnB. I've read from some places I have to wait until I land and others that I have to do it immediately afterwards. I really want to like it, but I just can't take in all the nuances of the animation that I need to do get such a simple combo down. It feels like I could take the time to learn another fighting game and it would take half the time, and also feel more rewarding..

Blah. Now I feel really sad.

EDIT: Just did it. Fucking hell. This game is all over the place for me..

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, honestly, I don't think this game is for me. I can't even do Ragna's - who is meant to have lenient timing - 3rd challenge (linking to standing b), which I'm guessing is this games equivalent of a BnB. I've read from some places I have to wait until I land and others that I have to do it immediately afterwards. I really wanted to like it, but I just can't take in all the nuances of the animation that I need to do get such a simple combo down.

Unfortunately, watching the combo being performed is the best way to estimate your timing. It would be cool if the game had input display for the CPU demo like Virtua Fighter does, but alas...

Decado

xero273 said:
CS2 should be coming soon. It is coming out for handhelds next month so expect it to hit console soon. No, you won't need to pay for it. From what was said CS2 is a free update patch.
Wow, you're serious? I take it CS2 is some sort of balance upgrade, then (no new characters)?

Also, I'm looking to pick it up for the PS3 (I don't have an arcade stick for the 360). Even if I buy it now, it may take a little while before I venture online.

Decado said:
Wow, you're serious? I take it CS2 is some sort of balance upgrade, then (no new characters)?

Also, I'm looking to pick it up for the PS3 (I don't have an arcade stick for the 360). Even if I buy it now, it may take a little while before I venture online.

You have some time. A lot of us are waiting for CS2 by migrating to MvC3 for a while.

Fugu

Next to BlazBlue's, MVC3's online play is a dilapidated mess.

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, honestly, I don't think this game is for me. I can't even do Ragna's - who is meant to have lenient timing - 3rd challenge (linking to standing b), which I'm guessing is this games equivalent of a BnB. I've read from some places I have to wait until I land and others that I have to do it immediately afterwards. I really want to like it, but I just can't take in all the nuances of the animation that I need to do get such a simple combo down. It feels like I could take the time to learn another fighting game and it would take half the time, and also feel more rewarding..

EDIT: Just did it. Fucking hell. This game is all over the place for me..
You have an eight frame buffer to input things, meaning there's an eight frame period while you're still doing your previous move that you can input the next move. This isn't really a long time, so you're really just going to have to practice. Also note that gatlings can be input much faster because they cancel the move.

Fugu said:
Next to BlazBlue's, MVC3's online play is a dilapidated mess.

That's Crapcom bro.

Three releases, ain't a damned thing changed and they removed spectator mode, I'm assuming to take the burden off their ass netcode, and it's still not up to snuff.

Can't wait for Arcana Heart 3. Godly damn Arc System Works netcode. :3

Fugu

The Take Out Bandit said:
That's Crapcom bro.

Three releases, ain't a damned thing changed and they removed spectator mode, I'm assuming to take the burden off their ass netcode, and it's still not up to snuff.

Can't wait for Arcana Heart 3. Godly damn Arc System Works netcode. :3
I have played fourty games; every single one of them has been quite laggy despite me restricting the selection to local players with good ping. I can't even gatling properly because I get lightning legs instead.

Fugu said:
I have played fourty games; every single one of them has been quite laggy despite me restricting the selection to local players with good ping. I can't even gatling properly because I get lightning legs instead.

It's no joke. I seriously thought Ono changed throws so they didn't work against crouching opponents in SSF4 online.

Then I go into practice mode and what do you know, it works! :|

Crapcom is garbage at online play. Japanese developers seriously need to start sharing / licensing materials. There's no reason every 2D (or Crapcom pretendo 2D) fighter should not be using ASW sexual chocolate for online play. It could give SNK a much needed audience in the West, instead of waiting for their next bucket of fail netcode.

SSF4 online is so bad it's game breaking. I think I'm through after getting totally clowned last night, I shouldn't need to mash sh*t out in a Street Fighter game like it's Power Stone or some other garbage.

With that said, I'm gonna get in some more ranked BB:CS matches. I'm not very good at this game but I greatly appreciate what ASW is doing. They're single handedly keeping the spirit of gaming that I enjoy alive, and I'm considering putting them on the developer of the generation for the accomplishments between BB and it's glorious online play and Hard Corps: Uprising which is just fantastic.

Playing MvC3 online really makes me realize how we took BlazBlue for granted. The bar that this game set in the fighting game genre is immense.

I don't see it being challenged in this realm for a long time to come if developers continue to be this lazy. TTOB definitely hit the nail on the head.

SolarPowered said:
Playing MvC3 online really makes me realize how we took BlazBlue for granted. The bar that this game set in the fighting game genre is immense.

I don't see it being challenged in this realm for a long time to come if developers continue to be this lazy. TTOB definitely hit the nail on the head.
I think that in Japan, over fiber, the game probably feels the same online as off. And thus the developers were satisfied. It's a huge fucking oversight for Capcom's engineers not to consider what online feels like for those outside a country with such an infrastructure. Especially when the game appeals to that very segment.

Arc System Works Online is <3

Thanks for the vote of confidence Solar. :)

_dementia said:
I think that in Japan, over fiber, the game probably feels the same online as off. And thus the developers were satisfied. It's a huge fucking oversight for Capcom's engineers not to consider what online feels like for those outside a country with such an infrastructure. Especially when the game appeals to that very segment.

Arc System Works Online is <3

Yep.

USA 15th in the world for Internet speeds.

I don't want to say Capcom is doomed, that's hyperbolic, but I will say that they really need to make an effort to pay attention to the global audiences as not everybody has insane internet speeds to compensate for mediocre netcode.

Ignoring Western game preferences in how games were played (online instead of long dead arcades) is how fighting games managed to fall out of favor with consumers.

I would like to think that if they ignore quality netcode, and the anemic broadband speeds of the Western world they'll fall out of favor again with consumers due to the quality of the product. As much as I want to enjoy SSF4 online, the difference between online play and offline is night and day.

BlazBlue:CS is a game every fighting game fan should buy on principle alone. Especially now that it's under $30.

The real test IMO will be the new Mortal Kombat game. I'm not counting on the game being fantastic, but I'm curious to see how a Western developer handles online play. ASW still leads the pack and that makes Arcana Heart 3 one to watch because of that.

Can't wait for the CS2 patch to release.

The most frustrating thing is definitely the lack of attention to other markets. I see the same thing with Nintendo and it drives me up a wall. Online features are the key to domination and the Eastern devs continue to meander about.

Arc is a real exception over here for a Japanese centric company.

SolarPowered said:
The most frustrating thing is definitely the lack of attention to other markets. I see the same thing with Nintendo and it drives me up a wall. Online features are the key to domination and the Eastern devs continue to meander about.

Arc is a real exception over here for a Japanese centric company.

Wildy OT, but. . .

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Nintendo is still making atrocious decisions about online play, but that's just due to their demographic, or their perceived demographic, but they still sell a lot of stuff to actual kids so. . .

Which is why I would like to believe closer integration with Playstation Network, your PSN ID, and online gaming (assuming they don't fumble it PSP style) could be what gives the PSP2 the lead in the West. Though I admit I'm not at all excited about what little we know of PSP2 software.

Speaking of handhelds and fumbling, would be awesome if ASW could somehow get the handheld BB games online. Though without a unique account it could be more hassle than it's worth and less engaging for fans.

Personally, I feel that BB was designed from the ground up to be more online-friendly than other titles--even outside of netcode. Huge amounts of hitstop in several combos/openers allow for easy hitconfirms and gives you time to adjust your autopilot. Being able to combo after the 2nd/3rd/4th spammed jab(even Tager can do it a little!) is probably another concession in that vein.

And then on the outside there's the input buffer repeat, which probably does more for online than any number of cheesy input shortcuts ever will. It also helps that most characters' go-to-B&Bs don't typically include stuff like links and instead use dash/jump cancels as the 'difficult' parts instead.

darkblade77 said:
Personally, I feel that BB was designed from the ground up to be more online-friendly than other titles--even outside of netcode. Huge amounts of hitstop in several combos/openers allow for easy hitconfirms and gives you time to adjust your autopilot. Being able to combo after the 2nd/3rd/4th spammed jab(even Tager can do it a little!) is probably another concession in that vein.

And then on the outside there's the input buffer repeat, which probably does more for online than any number of cheesy input shortcuts ever will. It also helps that most characters' go-to-B&Bs don't typically include stuff like links and instead use dash/jump cancels as the 'difficult' parts instead.

2 jabs in a row is horrible in this game. 1 jab for Tsubaki means her 1 charge BNB doesn't work. 1 jab for 0 charge bnb means that her damage drops from 1.8k-ish to 1.3k-ish.

3 jabs means that a lot of combos gets dropped.

So no, linking jabs is not a good thing. 1 jab is usually okay because it's your fastest move to combo but in cases like Tsubaki, you'd have to mixup a lot more.

The proration is a killer in this game (except for Arakune).

There's an 8 frame buffer in this game, but it's only for special moves. For normal links, it's still hell. Try doing Ragna's Carnage Scissor, then dash and 5B. The timing's still pretty strict. Even 3C -> 22C -> 5B is still pretty strict.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
darkblade77 said:

I like mashing jabs with Makoto and having my 7k combos turn into 3k it's awesome :D *oh and having them tech earlier too instead of scoring a reset*

Jabs suck avoid them unless you have to use them *bang*

Wildy OT, but. . .

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Nintendo is still making atrocious decisions about online play, but that's just due to their demographic, or their perceived demographic, but they still sell a lot of stuff to actual kids so. . .

Which is why I would like to believe closer integration with Playstation Network, your PSN ID, and online gaming (assuming they don't fumble it PSP style) could be what gives the PSP2 the lead in the West. Though I admit I'm not at all excited about what little we know of PSP2 software.

Speaking of handhelds and fumbling, would be awesome if ASW could somehow get the handheld BB games online. Though without a unique account it could be more hassle than it's worth and less engaging for fans.
I thought CS2 was coming to the NGP and the 3DS with full online features. Their site has some pictures up and it shows some sort of unique account system with player history.

http://blazblue.jp/cs2_m/mode_3ds.html#net

Not saying mashing jab is a good thing, esp. in competitive play. But online matches don't exactly go past casuals, and sometimes it's better to finish the shitty combo and end at neutral/have oki than to drop it and have nothing.

For some characters it can be used to deal to cope with heavy latency, just like moves with high hitstop. This isn't even a viable option in SSF4 and MvC3. In fact, the only other actively-played game I can think of offhand where you can use jabs like that(and not universally pay for it) is Melty.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Where IS the CS2 patch, already, anyway? That's something that would get me playing this game again.

The real test IMO will be the new Mortal Kombat game. I'm not counting on the game being fantastic, but I'm curious to see how a Western developer handles online play. ASW still leads the pack and that makes Arcana Heart 3 one to watch because of that.

Back in the OG Xbox days, MK Deception had better online play than most of the other fighting games, IMO, although that really isn't saying much looking back.

Lyte Edge said:
Where IS the CS2 patch, already, anyway? That's something that would get me playing this game again.
It'll probably come after the DS and PSP versions are out. I can't imagine they'd want to cannibalize sales.

No doubt designing the game from ground up for online play had an impact. It's something all devs need to consider these days.

And in unrelated news Vampire Collection for PS2 arrived today. GET MUH SASQUATCH ON! wikky woo!

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I have been playing BB:CS again after months of not touching it and i am getting my ass kicked but its great fun, and surprisingly the online is not that dead.

On a side note Toshimichi Mori and Daisuke Ishiwatari will have a 1 hour conference tomorrow at WGC in Cannes, dont know what they will be talking about, but its obviously blazblue related.

Fugu

Ignoring Western game preferences in how games were played (online instead of long dead arcades) is how fighting games managed to fall out of favor with consumers.
It's ironic that you knock Capcom for this when many of the places with strong arcade scenes for BlazBlue (like Toronto, where I live) are accusing Aksys of doing exactly this.

For starters, CS2 not being available in arcades outside of Japan at all has completely obliterated the BB arcade scene. It is dead. There used to be up to 20 people there on the busiest nights up for BlazBlue at the arcade; now they've all gone back to Guilty Gear because there's simply no reason to play an outdated version of the game.

As well, the late release of CS2 for consoles (where most Americans do their gaming) has (at least temporarily) killed the non-Japan scene for the game.

If they want their game to last outside of Japan, they'd better start paying more attention to how their release cycles affect other markets.

xero273

Here's what they said :

Q: Is the BBCS2 DLC for console coming ?
Mori just answers "Kimasu" (coming) in the mic, and then mutters something that the spokesperson translates into "It's definitely coming, but he just doesn't want to say when. It will be either really cheap or free."

Q: Will there be a new GG ?
-Yes.

Q: Is a Guilty Gear x BlazBlue planned ?
Mori: Right now there's no plan about it.

Q: Will BlazBlue's chara design continue being as over-the-top as it as been so far, or is it going to favor a more serious tone in the future ? Because Makoto and Platinum are just "fun-looking" characters, just like Taokaka. (He then says that these characters remind too much of fan-service, and are closer to Arcana Hearts and loli-style than a serious style.)
Mori : What is planned right now is that more loli-like characters won't appear, and starting from now on, there'll be a lot more serious-looking character. But it doesn't mean that a character with pink cat ears and tail will never come out.
(He then asks "Who likes Kokonoe here ?!", and the spokesperson translates that into "Who likes that kind of character ?"...)

Q: Will Tager ever be a good character ? That's the third episode he's the weakest, is there any way you make him broken in the next game, please ?
Mori: No.

Non-Blazblue related questions
Q: What about Hokuto no Ken 2 ?
Mori : Please ask Sega. *giggles*

Q: What are your favourite video games of all times ?
Ishiwatari : Hard to choose, but I'll say Donjon Master and Tomb Raider 1.
Mori : Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers), Gears of War and Tekken.

Q: In Capcom & SNK games, the new characters are more focused on original moves and gameplay, while in GG & BB, characters are more focused on being original, things that we have never seen before. Where do you find inspiration ? Are you getting your inspiration from other things ?
Ishiwatari: When we create a new character, the first thing we think about is the character's range, and choose either the character will fight close or far form the opponent, and then the "type of character" is defined. Then there's a lot of inspiration from anime and mangas from the time being.
Mori: I'm just going under Ishiwatari's influence.

Q: In your opinion, what's more important : the design or the gameplay ?
Mori: We first focus on the fact that the character has to fit the physics and the system of the game. Then we think about the design.
Ishiwatari: It's still hard to tell which one arrives first when we think about creating a new character. (He means that sometimes it happens that he has a character design idea before even knowing how he'll fight)

Q: How do you feel when you are in a French tournament, if you compare it to Japan ? Are you happy to be here ?
Ishiwatari: I was surprised by the atmosphere. The fact that players are teasing each others is fun.
The spokesperson translates then "There's that in Japan too, but here, the atmosphere is top tier".
Mori: In SBO there are similar matches where there's a lot of motivation and when everyone's yelling and etc.
And then the Stream went down.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/show...for-PSP-and-3DS-announced&p=954993#post954993

Conference from France. New gg incoming :)

and BBCS for SBO this year is going to be 1vs1.

Was playing ranked yesterday and getting my butt kicked.

In one of my matches, Tager stopped moving. Opened up the stick, and found the connector had popped off the stick connection! >:|

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Master Milk said:
Everytime someone posts in the thread, I think that it's going to be about the patch.

But then it never is.

Yeah, I keep hoping for Platinum. I even bought Valk and I'm waiting for the patch until I play it again.

Top Bottom