• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Fugu

ApolloJoh said:
Lol this game. Marvel has made me so bad at this. I've developed some bad habits like trying to pushblock when I'm in a block string, haha. I still remember how to do some of the combos but yeah, I'd need to get used to BB again to do them consistently.

The only saving grace is that the characters I play will be different in CS2 so it's like I'm playing a new game, sorta.
When I play CS after playing MVC3 I try to execute my entire combo in two seconds and it drops after the second hit. It doesn't take me too long to switch between the two but it's hilarious how gargantuan MVC3's input buffer is in comparison. I once caught myself inputting hatsu before Itsuu A had finished connecting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
When I play CS after playing MVC3 I try to execute my entire combo in two seconds and it drops after the second hit. It doesn't take me too long to switch between the two but it's hilarious how gargantuan MVC3's input buffer is in comparison. I once caught myself inputting hatsu before Itsuu A had finished connecting.
Umm MvC3 pretty much has no buffer at all. Practically every move cancels into each other at any given time the second you press the input, that's not buffering. Blazblue on the other hand has a 5 frame buffer for every move.

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
Umm MvC3 pretty much has no buffer at all. Practically every move cancels into each other at any given time the second you press the input, that's not buffering. Blazblue on the other hand has a 5 frame buffer for every move.
The active frames of the average move in BB are so much larger than the active frames of the average move in MVC3 that a straight comparison of the input buffer is meaningless. I notice the input buffer a lot more in MVC3 than I do in BB because in MVC3 things happen faster in general.

I haven't played anyone from GAF in awhile, so if anyone's on tonight, I will be.

MvC3 is too fast-paced to need a system that repeats inputs for a few frames(except for online, but oh well). They compensated for that by letting everything cancel into everything at nearly any time like Q said. There are literally six-dozen ways to time the same magic series into launcher string and it will still work, unlike BB or most other fighting games where any significant timing variations on any given B&B can probably be counted on one hand at most.

I was shitty at BB before, but now... ugh. Basic normal timings aside, my hands don't want to remember dash cancel timings anymore. They were in a better place where they could flail around and flashy things would happen :(

So I got CS thanks to the AkSys Benefit Sale, and was messing around with it tonight. I have no idea what I'm fucking doing compared to MvC and SF. It's really fun, though. I made it through about half of the intermediate training but got stuck on the Fatal Counter combo string, can't make the last in the combo hit for some reason.

I haven't had a chance to really read the thread yet, but I tried Arcade Mode after doing a little training with Jin, and breezed through it not losing a single match. Then I got to Unlimited Ragna and he just kicked my ass left and right. Is it just me as a fighting noob or is the difficulty spike to the last battle insanely high? I don't think I got him below 75% health over 10 matches, so I just gave up for the night.

My favorites seem to be Jin and Litchi, but I'm still just messing around. There's a lot more techniques to remember compared to the other fighting games I normally play. Still haven't got a hand on Rapid Cancel or Break Bursts yet.

I'm looking forward to getting better at this, though. I'm slowly turning into a fighting game person. Low-level sucky fighting game person, but this and MvC3 are all I've been playing the last few weeks.

Dreavus

QisTopTier said:
There is no buffer on mvc3 man.

Certainly feels like it. You can throw in the inputs of a magic series so quick that there's no way they'd all straight-up cancel into eachother, yet the combo still comes out.

That's not called buffering? (not being facetious here)

conman

Incendiary said:
Then I got to Unlimited Ragna and he just kicked my ass left and right. Is it just me as a fighting noob or is the difficulty spike to the last battle insanely high?
It's not just you. If you play on anything less than Hell difficulty, it seems like you can pretty much just fumble your way through Arcade mode until that last fight (and I'm speaking as a fellow fighting game noob).

Dreavus said:
Certainly feels like it. You can throw in the inputs of a magic series so quick that there's no way they'd all straight-up cancel into eachother, yet the combo still comes out.

That's not called buffering? (not being facetious here)

'Buffering' would be hitting the input in advance so that when the attack ends or hits a cancellable portion the input would still come out(supers, etc). The input you buffer is held for a few frames until it becomes eligible to come out. A lot of BB combos rely on buffering motions because normals are typically slower and active for more real-time on hit/block, but have a relatively short window to cancel anything in. Obviously Tager uses buffering all the time for his 360/720 setups.

In Marvel, it's hard to say the buffer is anything but short because it's largely redundant in the system. Nearly every normal is out for less time and has an absurdly lenient cancel window. Take the magic series for an example; no matter how early you hit it, the entire thing is often still an eligible combo.

Saying the buffer itself doesn't exist is just hyperbole; there has to be a really short buffer in the game. All games have an 'input buffer' that stores and uses previously-input commands, or stuff like dashing(forget QCF/DP motions) wouldn't even work.

The easiest way to tell that the buffer is short would be playing someone like Felicia, whose normals are active for such a short amount of time that trying to hit-confirm a lot of her strings isn't possible; you have to hit a lot of them in a very short advance window or not at all, and her magic series actually has a stricter sense of timing attached to it as a result. For characters like Hulk it's almost impossible to tell, because his moves are active for so long and have such excessive hit/blockstun while being cancellable at all times. (which is another reason why characters like Hulk/Sent are popular online outside of the raw damage; you get a lot more room for error during lag that other characters don't get--because among other reasons yes, the buffer in MvC3 is really short)

Another way to at least see that buffering barely exists in there is that you can toss in TK inputs for stuff like Spencer's OTG pickup (2369+M/H) in advance at the end of a launcher combo that leaves him on the ground. But the window to do it early is fairly small.

EDIT: Clarified that a bit.
EDIT2: Clarified more.

Fugu

darkblade77 said:
Long post.
I notice the input buffer when I'm in a situation where I'm executing well ahead of my active move (when the move that I'm cancelling hasn't even been thrown out yet -- this is pretty obvious if you input, say, A B C jc A as Chun-Li) and when I'm blocking. I don't notice it so much in BlazBlue because when moves have active frames in the double digits, a five frame input buffer (initially typed "butter") doesn't come up all that often. I also don't find it any more difficult to TK in MVC3, although I'm not sure that the input buffer applies unilaterally in that situation (otherwise dashing using movement inputs would be really, really hard).

But this is a BlazBlue thread, so let's talk about BlazBlue. Is anyone planning on picking up CS2 for the PSP?

The TK motion itself isn't noticeably affected by the buffer; it's when you perform it out of landing recovery from a launcher combo where it becomes noticeable that it exists. Also, are you on a (near)lagless setup? Any significant TV/monitor input lag will force you to place inputs visually in advance for fast characters no matter what.

Not too hot on getting CS2 for PSP, but I am sort of interested in seeing it on the 3DS when I eventually pick one up.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
darkblade77 said:
The TK motion itself isn't noticeably affected by the buffer; it's when you perform it out of landing recovery from a launcher combo where it becomes noticeable that it exists. Also, are you on a (near)lagless setup? Any significant TV/monitor input lag will force you to place inputs visually in advance for fast characters no matter what.

Not too hot on getting CS2 for PSP, but I am sort of interested in seeing it on the 3DS when I eventually pick one up.

Same here, I am waiting for the CS2 patch as promised by them -.-

Fugu

darkblade77 said:

I'm playing on a CRT; there's no input lag.

I don't even want to imagine myself playing a fighting game on the PSP; I'm just more interested to get some practice time in with the new combos.

Ugh. . .

There are no “real” differences in terms of multiplayer features either. Neither version of the game has built-in online multiplayer...

Guys, it's 2011. :(

Then again it seems the 3DS version is something of a port from the PSP version, so it makes sense they wouldn't add proper online play (even if 3DS online is still kind of poo).

Oh well, ultimately doesn't matter. No joystick, no play.

Fugu

Yeah. Should be getting it later in the week. I'm really not looking forward to using the PSP d-pad so I'm looking into a way to hook it up to my PC and using my stick. This seems complicated.

Fugu said:
Yeah. Should be getting it later in the week. I'm really not looking forward to using the PSP d-pad so I'm looking into a way to hook it up to my PC and using my stick. This seems complicated.
Through remote joy? I remember playing SFA3 that way a couple of years ago, but it was laggy.

0WbZm.jpg

ApolloJoh

From what I saw, the challenges in CS2 seem easier than CS1's.

Only judging from the characters I play but I wonder if they'll be different when the console update comes. Doubt it though.

Fugu

My friend has the game so I tried it out this morning. I was using RemoteJoy (lite). Remotejoy makes the framerate chug at certain times but it doesn't really matter in training mode; the bigger problem is that the game crashes any time that someone ends the round with a distortion AND between all rounds when connected through RemoteJoy so it's basically only useful for training mode, but that's pretty much all I'm buying the PSP version for. It's such a huge difference that I wouldn't play without it for a minute; I literally could not even do a diagonal input on the PSP d-pad. Of course, using xpadder isn't optimal due to the fact that it itself is not great at picking up diagonal inputs, but whatever.

As for the actual game, my god does Litchi feel different. j.C being emergency techable seems like the biggest difference but being able to combo off of crossup j.2D without a rapid is huge too and it's an absolutely huge benefit to her pressure.

What I'm really liking the most about CS2 Litchi is how nonstandard she is compared to CS1. Her pressure is a lot more open now that j.2D is always a threat (people will whine about how weak her overheads are now, though -- having said that, 4D leads to hilarious damage in the corner) and there's a lot of room to improvise and fool your opponent; 6C[m] 5D shennanigans look very interesting. She's also got completely unique corner combos, different midscreen combos for every opener, throw combos ripped straight out of CS1... instead of every opener ultimately leading to the same thing, you now have to hitconfirm with some intelligence and adjust for every opener. Incidentally, I'm going to be in training mode for awhile.

Short version: I've only played it for an hour but I think I already like it better than CS1.

Hey folks, anybody know where I can obtain the vocal audio for Calamity Trigger? For personal use. I found Continuum Shift, but I honestly prefer the announcer voice from the first game.

Thanks.

I just got my PS3 copy of BB:CS, but I won't be able to test it out due to unforeseen circumstances.

This should be a real good test for their netcode. I'm expecting good things.

Man, it's been FOREVER since I last made a post in here. :p

Fugu

If you play only accepting pings of 1 or higher you'll find unparalleled levels of netcode. Connections of 1 are sometimes sketchy but usually fine; anything higher than that is very smooth.

ApolloJoh

Fugu said:
If you play only accepting pings of 2 or higher you'll find unparalleled levels of netcode. Connections of 2 are sometimes sketchy but usually fine; anything higher than that is very smooth.
Much better.

Fugu

I've played about 4000 rounds now and I've never felt it necessary to up the threshold. I would play matches too infrequently if I did, anyway.

danmaku

There's also an unofficial patch to add online play to GGXX #Reload, but I think it works only with the japanese version. Worth a try, though.

Fugu

So god damn happy that I bought the Japanese version.

The hype, it is gotten.

EDIT: THIS MEANS I NEVER HAVE TO PLAY MVC3 AGAIN YESSSSSSSSSSS

Top Bottom