• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

_dementia said:
Exposed. And this new 214 D~C, 6C stuff is giving me issues.

Pretty sure I'd have to expose you for not getting into that Blockbuster deal. Too good to pass up!

Also, kinda getting the hang of the normals for Rachel. Her wind got a LOT better (really good for movement) and her 6A and 6B are back to its gdlk status. Now I have to learn combos.

Got this game because i was hyped for fighting games after the latest Mortal Kombat. I tried all of the characters but can someone tell me which one is the most balanced, easy to play for a starter... Any advices?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
valentine71 said:
Got this game because i was hyped for fighting games after the latest Mortal Kombat. I tried all of the characters but can someone tell me which one is the most balanced, easy to play for a starter... Any advices?
Since they all play nothing alike and using one character wont help you with another. I say pick who you find interesting and rough it out.

Mileena

Banned
valentine71 said:
Ragna?

Fugu

valentine71 said:
Any and all of them. They're all very different. Tsubaki maybe?

I got this game in from Amazon today. Used to play Calamity Trigger, but sold it fairly quickly. I was trying to main Taokaka, so I'm gonna pick her back up in CS. On Sunday, I'll probably work on my attacks and stuff.

Oh, I got it on PS3, if anyone wants to play sometime.

Well, shouldn't he get acquainted with the mechanics of the game first? Throwing him to characters like Litchi or Carl are just going to guarantee frustration. He can always migrate to them if the other characters don't suit him, and he can learn the basics of the game along the way.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Proto learned how to play using Rachel. My brother learned how to play GG with Zato/Eddie. It's more fun to learn with who you like. Even if your ass gets handed to you, you come out better in the long run.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
Well, shouldn't he get acquainted with the mechanics of the game first? Throwing him to characters like Litchi or Carl are just going to guarantee frustration. He can always migrate to them if the other characters don't suit him, and he can learn the basics of the game along the way.
I learned how to play with Litchi. Hell, I learned how to play fighting games with Litchi.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I stand corrected, then.
It depends on the player. I started CT trying to learn Carl and It sucked pretty hard for me. I switched to Jin and learned the ropes a bot before going back to Carl an it worked better for me.

Fugu

I don't really like to recommend people switch characters because it's not so easy to do in BlazBlue. I'm sure the people who play half of the cast in this thread
ApolloJoh
will have something to say about it but the amount of non-transferrable skills would seemingly make it undesirable.

ApolloJoh

Fugu said:
I learned how to play with Litchi. Hell, I learned how to play fighting games with Litchi.

Pretty much the same for me. BB's the first traditional fighting game I've learned seriously.

kiryogi said:
D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:.

Fixed, for Hakumen at least.

Fugu said:
I don't really like to recommend people switch characters because it's not so easy to do in BlazBlue. I'm sure the people who play half of the cast in this thread
ApolloJoh
will have something to say about it but the amount of non-transferrable skills would seemingly make it undesirable.

Heey, I only play 4! That's not half. :p

Though, I'm not gonna play Tsubaki until I feel comfortable with Hakumen/Ragna.

But yeah, just stick to first finding a character you like then learn him/her. After you feel comfortable with the character, try out some of the others if you're planning to play more than one.

Fugu

I'm starting to think that learning how to play on a more difficult character is probably more beneficial than learning to play on one that gets wins more quickly because it'll force you to think a little more and that'll be beneficial when you get to the point where you can no longer rely completely on the basics to win matches.

Agreed on sticking with the character you like rather than the character that's the easiest to play. Even if you learn the basic mechanics of the game, the characters are so different, that you'll still have to learn a lot because of that D button. If you like Carl, stick with him, even if it makes you question why you're playing him in the first 2 weeks or so 'cause he's so complex. You'll come out ahead in the end.

Fugu said:
I'm starting to think that learning how to play on a more difficult character is probably more beneficial than learning to play on one that gets wins more quickly because it'll force you to think a little more and that'll be beneficial when you get to the point where you can no longer rely completely on the basics to win matches.

In a way, yes, in a way, no. Yes, in the fact that more complex characters usually mean you have to think more when you first start. No, in the fact that when you first start out and have no basics, it won't really help you out.

My mindset is, if you like the character, stick with him/her. The game has a really good tutorial anyway.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Taking the time to get Mu's combos down now. They feel so freaking weird now seeing how her air steins shorten her recovery time by a ton now on stuff.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
Agreed on sticking with the character you like rather than the character that's the easiest to play. Even if you learn the basic mechanics of the game, the characters are so different, that you'll still have to learn a lot because of that D button. If you like Carl, stick with him, even if it makes you question why you're playing him in the first 2 weeks or so 'cause he's so complex. You'll come out ahead in the end.

In a way, yes, in a way, no. Yes, in the fact that more complex characters usually mean you have to think more when you first start. No, in the fact that when you first start out and have no basics, it won't really help you out.

My mindset is, if you like the character, stick with him/her. The game has a really good tutorial anyway.
Yeah, but in the long run your short-term efficacy is almost irrelevant.

Thank you all for your replies, advices and opinions. I will complete the tutorial today and start learning the game. I think i will stick with Ragna. He felt natural at the times i played with him. Also i liked Noel. It felt like making good combos is really easy with her but i don't like playing with a girl in fighting games, so i will stick to Ragna i think.

Yeah, just find the character that best matches the way you usually play fighting games (I'd rather say than "character you like", because if you're like me you'd just be all over the whole roster lol). That's what Haku-Men is for me so I'm learning to play with him, even though I doubt he'd qualify as a character aimed at beginners.

Holy Order Sol said:
Yeah, just find the character that best matches the way you usually play fighting games (I'd rather say than "character you like", because if you're like me you'd just be all over the whole roster lol). That's what Haku-Men is for me so I'm learning to play with him, even though I doubt he'd qualify as a character aimed at beginners.

Agreed, i really don't know the game but he seemed to be hard to play character or just didn't match my style when i tried to play with him.

Fugu said:
What's in the tutorial? I've never done it.

It seems they prepared an awesome tutorial for the game.

Beginner
- About Beginner Mode
- Rules and Moving your Character
- About Character Attacks
- About Character Defenses

Intermediate
- About Canceling and Special Attacks
- About the Heat Gauge
- About Defense Techs
- About System Mechanics
- About System Mechanics (Part II)
- About Counters
- Other System Mechanics

Advance
- About Spacing and Anti-Air
- About Mix-ups and Wake-up Game
- Other Powerful Tactics

Strategies
- This has every character's name, one by one. Learn about each character' s unique style and strategies

Fugu

I'm amazed that with the amount of ranked I play that only now I am having my first ranked match against ApolloJoh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dear Prototype,

Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven

Sincerely,
Deox

QisTopTier said:
Dear Prototype,

Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven Arrows of Heaven

Sincerely,
Deox

BROKEN GUARANTEED SETUPS

Ferrio

Banned
Bah I'm sucking good. Remember one of the things that irked me about this game, when I get constantly stuffed trying to get a hit in. Applying pressure right now is a foreign concept to me, and when I get a counter hit I have too much of a deer in headlights syndrome to capitalize on it. Just need more playtime I suppose.

Ferrio said:
Bah I'm sucking good. Remember one of the things that irked me about this game, when I get constantly stuffed trying to get a hit in. Applying pressure right now is a foreign concept to me, and when I get a counter hit I have too much of a deer in headlights syndrome to capitalize on it. Just need more playtime I suppose.

OXYMORON!!!

Anyway, remember that Tsubaki has one of the fastest jabs in the game. You just need to be real close. Her 2C is actually pretty good as an AA (I heard it got slightly nerfed from CS1 -- was arguably the best AA in the game -- but it's still pretty awesome. Her 5B is pretty good as a poke (and AA) but at max range, her 5BB won't connect, so you might want to charge cancel to keep the pressure.

Remember to use her charge cancel to mixup as well!

Ferrio

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
OXYMORON!!!

Anyway, remember that Tsubaki has one of the fastest jabs in the game. You just need to be real close. Her 2C is actually pretty good as an AA (I heard it got slightly nerfed from CS1 -- was arguably the best AA in the game -- but it's still pretty awesome. Her 5B is pretty good as a poke (and AA) but at max range, her 5BB won't connect, so you might want to charge cancel to keep the pressure.

Remember to use her charge cancel to mixup as well!

Ya it's all stuff I know, just doesn't flow yet. Then I don't do the appropriate combos depending on my placement/charges yet.. I just kinda go into autopilot.

ApolloJoh

Ferrio said:

Yeah, I remember when I first started playing I had the "deer in headlights" reaction when getting counterhits, lol.

Like you said, just play more and more matches and you'll learn/incorporate different combos/ways to pressure depending on the situation.

ApolloJoh said:
Yeah, I remember when I first started playing I had the "deer in headlights" reaction when getting counterhits, lol.

Like you said, just play more and more matches and you'll learn/incorporate different combos/ways to pressure depending on the situation.

It's okay, I'm doing CS1 Tsubaki combos. Feels good to not have the combos work.

ApolloJoh

Fugu said:
I would use this sparingly, particularly against characters with fast jumps.

Yeah, I think they gave some her normals more blockstun so you don't really need to do the charge cancel stuff as much.

Ferrio

Banned
ApolloJoh said:
Yeah, I think they gave some her normals more blockstun so you don't really need to do the charge cancel stuff as much.

I've watched some matches, seems people still use it. Block string, cancel into another string. Watched some guy just tear into his opponent in the corner with it.

Ferrio said:
I've watched some matches, seems people still use it. Block string, cancel into another string. Watched some guy just tear into his opponent in the corner with it.

Yeah charge cancel is most effective when u got ur opponent scared and they're blocking

Top Bottom