• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Fugu

That does make me feel better, actually.

Except not really. If you're playing ranked, then I would recommend just... not playing ranked until you've learned your BnBs and feel comfortable enough with your character to actually pull them off. Winning on ranked is basically a consitency contest because everything is resolved in one match. You might win a few games but I doubt it'll be a positive experience without some time invested into your character first.
Player matches are great because you can play the same player over and over again and you have the opportunity there to correct specific mistakes hands-on.

Regardless of how you get your matches in, I would suggest saving replays and watching yourself make mistakes. It's very enlightening and gives you a better idea of how others might see you as an opponent and when you get destroyed, it can tell you what about your game your opponent used to take advantage of you.

Ultimately though you're losing online because you can't pick BB up in an evening. I have something like 4500 games played on CS and there are people with three times as much as I've got. You could be the most badass badass in the history of badassery and it'd still take you some time to make up that matchup experience. I'm still pretty meh though so once you do learn those BnBs I'll be happy to fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
That does make me feel better, actually.

Except not really. If you're playing ranked, then I would recommend just... not playing ranked until you've learned your BnBs and feel comfortable enough with your character to actually pull them off. Winning on ranked is basically a consitency contest because everything is resolved in one match. You might win a few games but I doubt it'll be a positive experience without some time invested into your character first.
Player matches are great because you can play the same player over and over again and you have the opportunity there to correct specific mistakes hands-on.

Regardless of how you get your matches in, I would suggest saving replays and watching yourself make mistakes. It's very enlightening and gives you a better idea of how others might see you as an opponent and when you get destroyed, it can tell you what about your game your opponent used to take advantage of you.

Ultimately though you're losing online because you can't pick BB up in an evening. I have something like 4500 games played on CS and there are people with three times as much as I've got. You could be the most badass badass in the history of badassery and it'd still take you some time to make up that matchup experience. I'm still pretty meh though so once you do learn those BnBs I'll be happy to fight.

Yeah pretty much everything here. Not sure who the best Jin is in japan right now, but I suggest digging up some match videos and see some techniques they use in a fight so you have an idea to work towards.

AAK

I've had this game for a damn long time and I thought it's time I properly learned it.... Do I just suck or are the timings required in the challenges pretty anal?

I'm just going through each character's tutorial followed by a couple of challenges and then completing their scenario's on arcade mode to see which caters to me the most.... And I can't even get past the 3rd or 4th challenge for any of the characters I've tried so far.

Hyphen

AAK said:
I've had this game for a damn long time and I thought it's time I properly learned it.... Do I just suck or are the timings required in the challenges pretty anal?

I'm just going through each character's tutorial followed by a couple of challenges and then completing their scenario's on arcade mode to see which caters to me the most.... And I can't even get past the 3rd or 4th challenge for any of the characters I've tried so far.

Regarding the timings, it depends on the character and combo. Sometimes it's a case of just delaying a specific input in the combo string, otherwise the move will either never hit, or the character simply won't do the required move. At other times you may have to buffer the action whilst in the middle of the previous input. Whatever the case, when you discover what it is, it will suddenly all make sense in a "Ooooooooohh, THAT's how you do it" moment. However...

Like Fugu suggested earlier, don't worry about the character challenges too much - There will inevitably be a sudden ceiling you'll hit that will make you question how in the world you're supposed to pull off a particular combo. Like you say, this happens at around challenges 3 or 4 for most newbies, and will keep on happening no matter which character you pick. So for now, I think it's more important to try and focus on simply deciding on 'maining' one character from the roster. How you come to that conclusion is your choice.

IN MY OPINION - Once that is done, you should learn the 'bread and butter' combos (search the dustloop forums) rather than the more extravagent ones you've seen in the challenges, because the next ceiling you'll hit is pulling off combos during matches - What tends to happen is that players try to force combos out, rather than doing them naturally at the most appropriate times and the ideal situations. So having a long list of inputs memorised in your mind for that one big combo you executed in Challenge Mode isn't ideal newbie preparation. Start small, and stay small until those bnb combos become literally muscle memory, whereby you're doing them without much thought. And then just expand from there.

Just remember that it will take thousands of matches and tons of practice before you reach a level where everything feels like it's coming together. And that's just the first step, because there are more celings to hit and burst through.

Grifter said:
Any good starter stuff on Valkenhayn? Don't see anything for noobs on Dustloop.

That's so vague, I wouldn't know where to start. What do you need help with? Combos? Movement? Hit confirms? Meter management?

Grifter

Everything. Blank slate to the character, not the engine. I was looking for kind of a breakdown of his basic moves and movement but I'm just trying to figure out his go-to moves ATM.

Grifter said:
Everything. Blank slate to the character, not the engine. I was looking for kind of a breakdown of his basic moves and movement but I'm just trying to figure out his go-to moves ATM.

He's an aggressive character with very limited mixup and very weak defense. It's best to save your meter for rapids and dead angles. Learn to move around with wolf form, he can actually mixup pretty well in this stance. Also 5B in wolf form. One of the best AA's in the game.

If you're on ps3, I can actually hop on and have some matches. He hasn't changed much since CS1.

Grifter

Thanks. I'm on 360, dropped CS1 before he was released and I haven't yet faced one online in CS2.

He reminded me of a cross between my GG main, Slayer, and Taokaka so I'm picking him up but I'm not yet sure if the stance-switching for combos and momentum is fun for me. Wolf movement is bizarre.

Is w.AAA and w.j.AAA worth doing with the scaling?

Grifter said:
Thanks. I'm on 360, dropped CS1 before he was released and I haven't yet faced one online in CS2.

He reminded me of a cross between my GG main, Slayer, and Taokaka so I'm picking him up but I'm not yet sure if the stance-switching for combos and momentum is fun for me. Wolf movement is bizarre.

Is w.AAA and w.j.AAA worth doing with the scaling?

I think in CS2, the j.AAA is there for positioning. I've seen most mains doing j.A into the combo so I think it changed in CS2.

thundr51

Pulled this game out a last week and had totally forgot about the patch to upgrade everything to CSII. I'm amazed how much Tsubaki has changed, almost need to relearn her.

If any other noobs want to get together GT: ThundR

thundr51 said:
Pulled this game out a last week and had totally forgot about the patch to upgrade everything to CSII. I'm amazed how much Tsubaki has changed, almost need to relearn her.

If any other noobs want to get together GT: ThundR

Tsubaki changed a lot. Probably one of the characters that changed drastically.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
xero273 said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/24/blazblue_extend_ps360/

Extendddd

So I guess same thing again Update is free. Character costs money

Let's hope it doesn't come out to console 8 months late. This crap happen every single time, after the console version is release, you play a few month and they announce a new update that change all the combo that you been grinding for months.

The worst yet is the new patch will not be out to console for another 8 months, so you either play an outdated version or stop playing once and for all. =/

Fugu

The trend of not keeping American BB up-to-date is what has killed it in the past and is likely what will kill it in the future. It's ridiculous.

Fugu said:
The trend of not keeping American BB up-to-date is what has killed it in the past and is likely what will kill it in the future. It's ridiculous.

To be fair, arcades in the US is dead. Not that the Nesica system was a good idea but don't think it would've made a huge difference. The console releases are pretty on point with JPN release.

xero273

new loc test changes

System changes:
Burst - 25% heat gauge bonus on hit and guard from previous test removed.
- Compared to current versiion, both green and gold bursts have slightly reduced active and invincibility frames, and are now completely invulnerable to all non-burst attacks. Startup for green bursts have been slightly sped up.
- Overall utility hasn't changed much, but green bursting is now easier to use than in the current version.

Barrier guard - has been changed the most (knockback, gauge recovery speed, etc)
- Now an even better defensive option, but the gauge depletion rate has been increased, so you'll run out if you depend on it too much.
- Barriering used to add a fixed amount of knockback in CS2; that has been changed to now be affected by attack level and guard type.
- In a nutshell, knockback goes up in increasing order like [IB<Barrier<IB Barrier], and is even larger when used in the air compared to on the ground.

- Additionally, barrier guarding an opponent's attack consumes more gauge than before, and it takes longer for the barrier guage to start recovering after use.
- However, barrier guarding a primer-breaking move while at 1 primer consumes less gauge than in our current version.

Counter assault - Most characters can no longer follow up on a successful CA. Some characters like Arakune are an exception to this. Using a CA reduces your max primer count by 1 (for only that round). It's a useful tool for turning the flow of the match, but using it too much increases the danger of being guard crushed.

Throw - Throws have been altered so that the whole cast can follow up after them even from midscreen. Depending on the character, following up after with a dash or special cancel may be possible. Compared to the current version, it's usefulness as a midscreen damage source has been improved.

6A, 2A - Characters that could chain this now have a max limit of 3 chained hits.
- Compared to the current version, this makes it easier for the person on defense to predict the attack timing. Characters that currently have a chain limit of under 3 are unchanged (ex. Bang's 2A, etc)

Ground, Air A attacks - Damage changed to 300.
- This change raises overall air to air and close range damage.

Character specific changes 1 (*only a partial list)

Ragna -
6B - Can no longer emergency tech on air hit. Knockback decreased
Hellsfang->followup - Hitstun slightly reduced, made easier to oki after hit.
Bloodkain - Longer heat cooldown after use. However, since throw is now cancelable, there are more places to use it.
Carnage Scissors - Projectile invulnerable during the dash. Can be used as an anti-projectile.

Jin -
2C - Revolver action changed: route to 5C removed, route to 6B added. Hitbox area straight above Jin has been enlarged, and it is now head invulnerable during the attack.
2D - Vertical hitbox improved, easier to hit with after 6C
Sekkajin - Multi-hit portion now comes out even with holding the button. When charged, air untechable time increased.
Touga Hyojin - Min damage increased from 20% to 25%

Noel -
Various chain revolver moves - Only the starting one is special cancelable. Chain revolver followups and enders are not special cancelable.
B, C Flash Haida(sp?)(labeled as "Silencer" in movelist) - Repeat proration added to starting hit. Can now holding the button for following hits.
Assault through - Wallbounds on counterhit, allowing followups even from midscreen.
Revolver Blast - Damage increased. Jump action resets when rapid canceled.

Rachel -
j2C - Can now special cancel in the air on hit. Normal and special cancelable on block after landing.
6B - Wallbounds on counter hit. Using wind after wallbound allows for easy followup.
6C - Damage increased for using wind to land multiple hits.
2C - P1 proration weakened, decreasing combo damage from counter hit.

Taokaka -
2B - Added revolver action to 5B
6C - Faster startup, now combos from a 5C/2C hit on a crounching opponent
C Neko Makyuu (C Kitty Litter Special - Ball) - Startup slightly sped up, now removes 1 guard primer
Tao Pitan ("Imma Beat The Crap Outta You" according to frame data >w>) - Leap distance decreased, now only covers roughly half-screen

Tager -
5B - Attack level increased, now jump cancelable
3C - Changed to be emergency techable, but can now be special canceled. Air untechable time has also been greatly increased
Spark Bolt - Bounce on wallbound decreased, P1 proration slightly weakened. However, air untechable time is greatly increased.
B Sledgehammer - Now roughly neutral on block, but can be charged, making it harder to IB.
Atomic Collider - Big change in proration, repeat proration added. However, untechable time has been increased.

Litchi -
Staffless Attacks - Hitstun reduced, attack chain sped up
2B with staff - Added revolver action to 6C, 3C
jD with staff - Landing recovery time shortened, making it easier to attack after
Staffless 6A - Can't emergency tech on air hit
Ground Sangenkyaku-Chun(followup vers.) (Three Dragons: Red) - Blowback changed to throw the opponent a large distance sideways

Arakune -
Air Grab - Untechable time decreased
6B - Revolver action to 6D added for both normal and followup versions
jC - Moves in lever direction on hit
Zero Vector - Hit zone expanded. Overwriting an old one with a new one will always generate a trajectory different from the old one.

Bang -
5D - Floats on normal hit
jD - P2 proration improved, now more useful in combos
Various Shuriken Moves (even though they're really nails >w>) - Knocks opponent towards the ground on hit. However, the opponent gets knocked upwards if hit by rising D nails.
C Shuriken - P2 proration weakened, hold time increased

Character specific changes 2 (*only a partial list)

Carl -
Nirvana - Overall gauge costs reduced. Gauge depeletion from repeated uses increased, and the amount of time before recovery starts slightly increased. To sum it up, it's now easier to use in combos but with a longer wait for gauge recovery.
Step (forward dash) - Improved utility, moves farther during the jump. Can now also cancel into normal attacks in the first 6 frames.
3D - Changed from force standing to ground bound
Con Fuoco - Float on air hit adjusted, making it easier to followup with a combo

Hakumen -
Heat Cooldown after Specials - Changed from 180 frames to 90 frames
jB - Air untechable time increased, can now j2A during the 2nd half of the move
Kishuu - Becomes head and body projectile invulnerable after a certain amount of frames
Yukikaze - Faster startup, easier to follow up on hit

Lambda -
Guard Primer Count - Changed to 4
2C - Added head invincibility
3C - Can no longer emergency tech on counter hit
2nd hit of 2D, 4D - Added revolver actions to 4B, 6C(only for 2D)

Tsubaki -
5D, 2D - 5D gauge fill rate sped up, max of 1 bar. 2D gauge fill rate changed to be slower at start, faster later on, with a max of 3 bars.
623C (I think) - Floats higher on hit
j236D (I think) - Can now act sooner after this move, making a j214 followup on hit easier
214214D (I think) - Usable in the air. While active, damage is increased and proration is improved

Hazama -
D Moves - Decreased blockstun. Hitstun when charged is slightly less than current version.
Drive Movements - Time until you can attack has been shortened
6B - Can followup after a ground counter hit. Emergency untechable on air hit.
Gasaishou - Invincibility halfway through the move changed to throw invulnerable from startup.
Jayoku Houtenjin - Cooldown time on hit increased

Mu -
Guard Primer Count - Changed to 4
jB - Hitbox stays out longer
j2C - Fatal counters
Furu no Tsurugi (Sword of Decimation) - Removes guard primers at level 3+
Ame no Habakiri (not sure which one this is) - Can be charged

Makoto -
5D - Startup on level 3 sped up. Untechable time slightly reduced compared to current version.
Lunatic Upper - Air untechable time slightly increased
Mars Chopper - Proration improved
Star Gazer - Can followup on hit
Shooting Star - Travels farther

Valkenhayn -
3C - Opponent can now emergency tech from it, but it's now special cancelable
Nacht Jager - Now knocks away horizontally on air hit. Hitstun on ground hit slightly increased.
Mondlicht - Now air blockable
5B in Wolf Form - Brief head invulnerability before active frames
Rasen Wolf - Costs slightly more Wolf gauge than in current version

Platinum -
Magical Weapons - Improved all around
5B - Zoning ability slightly improved
jC - Removed landing recovery
Air Persia - Projectile invulnerable during the hop
Cure Dot Typhoon - Proration adjusted, harder to tech out of even if used late in a combo

from hakimiru at dustloop.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
To be fair, arcades in the US is dead. Not that the Nesica system was a good idea but don't think it would've made a huge difference. The console releases are pretty on point with JPN release.
There are certainly prominent arcades left in North America. In fact, Lovegety (Toronto) was one of them despite being in an entirely inconvenient location until CS2 was announced in Japan. Previously, Lovegety's entire business was oriented towards the fact that CS was out in the arcades but not on consoles; this is how fighting games should be released because it gets people to go out and play and subsequently generates a lot of hype for the next revision without completely killing the previous one. However, because we don't have current cabinets anymore, the games just die pre-emptively because nobody wants to play a game that they know will be replaced shortly.

If they don't want the players to periodically forget about BB like they do now, they need to either incentivize arcades like they do in Japan (release the game for arcades substantially before the console release) or they need to time the American console release with the Japanese arcade release. If they're giving up on arcades entirely, there's no reason for us to get screwed waiting.

Come to think of it, the death of Lovegety has killed Toronto's BlazBlue scene as a whole. I play against the guys in Montreal more often than I do Toronto and I don't live there.

LegatoB

Honestly, I hope they can acknowledge that arcade scenes outside of Asia are pretty much dead, and have been pretty much dead for most of the decade, and release each new revision on console at the same time as the arcades. Talking about a few select arcades in major metro areas as if they actually still constitue a scene is pretty useless.

Fugu

LegatoB said:
Honestly, I hope they can acknowledge that arcade scenes outside of Asia are pretty much dead, and have been pretty much dead for most of the decade, and release each new revision on console at the same time as the arcades. Talking about a few select arcades in major metro areas as if they actually still constitue a scene is pretty useless.
When you're talking about a game like BB that doesn't pull giant numbers, the arcades that respectively sustain scenes of about ~100 people are a big deal. They're big money makers for the arcade owners for starters and they give players a place to play that they know other people will be playing, and that's a gigantic asset to the development of any scene, not just in terms of size but in terms of the quality of players that that region puts out: The standard of players in Toronto was, during the CS1 era, a lot higher than it is now simply because there isn't a place to go where people are playing literally every weekend. Arcades as a viable business are certainly no longer popular but their relevance within the fighting game community is not lost where they do exist.

EDIT: Lovegety buys international cabinets anyway so the amount of work they would have to do to bring it here on time is basically nonexistent, particularly for a fighting game that can safely presume that the person playing already knows how to play.

However, I agree that they may not want to orient their international release cycle around arcades seeing as there's not one in most cities anymore.

Fugu said:
There are certainly prominent arcades left in North America. In fact, Lovegety (Toronto) was one of them despite being in an entirely inconvenient location until CS2 was announced in Japan. Previously, Lovegety's entire business was oriented towards the fact that CS was out in the arcades but not on consoles; this is how fighting games should be released because it gets people to go out and play and subsequently generates a lot of hype for the next revision without completely killing the previous one. However, because we don't have current cabinets anymore, the games just die pre-emptively because nobody wants to play a game that they know will be replaced shortly.

If they don't want the players to periodically forget about BB like they do now, they need to either incentivize arcades like they do in Japan (release the game for arcades substantially before the console release) or they need to time the American console release with the Japanese arcade release. If they're giving up on arcades entirely, there's no reason for us to get screwed waiting.

Come to think of it, the death of Lovegety has killed Toronto's BlazBlue scene as a whole. I play against the guys in Montreal more often than I do Toronto and I don't live there.

Yes, it's infuriating but there's not much you can do. There is a big enough scene to say that the arcade BB crowd exists but not enough to bring it to the states. Their best bet was to import it but Nesica just killed all hope for that. One of the biggest arcades in socal (Arcade Infinity) closed down recently, Denjin Arcade hasn't really been updated for a while (unless that changed in the past year) and I haven't really gone to FFA in Simi Valley yet but I can tell you that the arcade scene is pretty much dying here. I think a handful of BB players that I used to play with in AI have resorted to playing at other people's houses instead of going to the arcades. I remember that even about 1 1/2 year ago, people would try to meet up but that's pretty much gone.

Fugu

Grifter said:
Mondlicht is air unblockable?!>!>!??

Gotta see how I can abuse this at today's meet.
Most ground moves are air unblockable. Usually projectiles aren't (DP projectiles and sparkbolt are; I'm probably missing some). Specials are hit or miss, and the general rule with them is that if you can do them in the air, they're probably not air unblockable. I just assume that all supers are air unblockable until proven otherwise, and if I'm in the air I always barrier cancel. 5As aren't, except Hakumen's.

Fugu

Grifter said:
no, that was good advice, thanks! having not played much since CT, i don't recall sparkbolt or haku 5A being unblockable.
In CS2 a lot of moves became air unblockable. It went from being just anti-airs to almost every move that you can do on the ground.

Busaiku

Is the PSP port worth getting?
I know the 3DS game has slowdown and all that, and since I'm not home as much nowadays, I figure that would be the best way to get back into the series before Extend.

Fugu

The only use I got out of the PSP port was by plugging it into my computer and using xpadder to play it with a stick. Your mileage may vary; I would imagine that it would be worthwhile if you are a pad player, as it is close to arcade perfect.

Fugu

I just noticed that they removed consecutive 6A gatlings. This is good because Litchi could get a full screen overhead by doing hers over and over again.

Fugu

The way 6A[m] works is that it dislocates the staff from her body (3C[m] does this more obviously if you just want to see what it looks like). So what happens if you use 6A[m] again before the staff comes back is that you get the added range of the already dislocated staff and then the staff dislocates even further. If you do this over and over again you can get it to go across the screen.

It actually doesn't just apply to 6A[m], though. You can use repeated 6A[m]s to get more distance on 5C[m] as well.

xero273 said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/30/blazblue_ps360_announced/

Inclusion of all the paid Continuum Shift download content
New rules for online play, including 2 on 2, 3 on 3 and 2 on 4 battles

hmm I want to say this is starting to sound like a all new disc package. I'm curious about the new online play though.

Sounds like it. Inclusion of all DLC characters makes it 90% sure that it is.

Well, at least it gets released in Winter which it isn't too far away.

LegatoB

xero273 said:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/30/blazblue_ps360_announced/

Inclusion of all the paid Continuum Shift download content
New rules for online play, including 2 on 2, 3 on 3 and 2 on 4 battles

hmm I want to say this is starting to sound like a all new disc package. I'm curious about the new online play though.
I'm interested to see if they choose to do this like SSF4AE, and offer a DLC upgrade as well for a smaller fee (though perhaps without the single-player content).

Grifter

It'd be a budget title so I'd buy again happily esp. if the net code is retweaked, but I bought the DLC characters for a tourney setup last week, so I hope a DLC patch is an option.

Did they switch announcers in Extend? Wonder if they used another of the DLC voices and if those'd be included too. Jin announcer is such a trip.

Grifter said:
It'd be a budget title so I'd buy again happily esp. if the net code is retweaked, but I bought the DLC characters for a tourney setup last week, so I hope a DLC patch is an option.

Did they switch announcers in Extend? Wonder if they used another of the DLC voices and if those'd be included too. Jin announcer is such a trip.

Wait, what's wrong with the netcode?

Fugu

_dementia said:
Arc claimed AH3 was their best effort yet. Probably just marketing fluff then.
I don't really have any basis for this information other than the fact that they're identically structured and they're both delay-based netcode systems. I've played a lot of both and the only differences I find I can attribute to the fact that BB is outright more popular than AH3.

Top Bottom