• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_dementia said:
Arc claimed AH3 was their best effort yet. Probably just marketing fluff then.
It's not fluff... sigh wish people would actually research stuff before they talk. The BBCS2 patch introduced the AH3 netcode into the game. So them saying it's their best yet wasn't fluff at all.

Fugu

_dementia said:
That's funny. Weren't people in this thread claiming the CS2 netcode was worse that CS pre-patch?
No, the popular claim is that CS1 netcode is worse than CT's. I don't know that that's true, although my experience leads me to believe that CT may handle bad connections better than CS.

Q: That could just be compound fluff. I'm interested to know what the actual differences between the two are; considering CS2 implemented the asthetic features of AH3 netplay (PSR display at the results screen, backing out of matches) and that there's, to me, no noticable difference between CS1 and CS2, it's not really clear what they meant.

BB's netcode is quite great. It's not perfect, but considering I have to wade through a sea of 0 pings every once in awhile (like when CS launched) I think its problems are pretty manageable. Really, the only major thing I would do is automatically disconnect if the latency reaches a certain threshold; ranked shouldn't force you to play (or turn off your system) through a game where there's literally a half second of lag on every joystick input.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A bit more surprising is Persona 4 The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena. Atlus is teaming up with Arc System Works for a 2D fighter that will be released first for arcades in Spring 2012, then for PS3 and Xbox 360 in Summer 2012. The game is being developed by the BlazBlue team.

The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena has a new story that takes place two yeas after the events of Persona 4. Characters from Persona 4 and Persona 3 will feature in the game.

LOLOLOL I don't even know where to start xD

Nyoro SF

Played a bit in the past, but the strict and long combo sequences and the terrible ranking system that pairs you up with pros is a big turnoff. If I ever get to play an ArcSys game like this again, I really hope there is less emphasis on combos because I liked almost everything else about the game.

I don't think wanting shorter combo sequences that do more damage is a scrubby request.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Played for the first time today. Carl is pretty fun but the rest of the game sucks.
Grats on judging the game after not knowing how to fucking play it LOL playing the game for a day doesnt mean much. Let's play a few matches if you got it on ps3 or play proto or fugu.

Nyoro SF said:
Played a bit in the past, but the strict and long combo sequences and the terrible ranking system that pairs you up with pros is a big turnoff. If I ever get to play an ArcSys game like this again, I really hope there is less emphasis on combos because I liked almost everything else about the game.

I don't think wanting shorter combo sequences that do more damage is a scrubby request.

Use hakumen? Use Ragna? Use Mu? Use Tager? Use Platinum? I could go on actually. Wanting to tone down characters ends up killing character playstyles so no please don't freaking do this. Even guilty gear had crazy shit. Guilty gear combos were actually shorter for the most part which is what you want actually but guess what? They are about twice as strict with some shit involving mulitple 2-3 frame cancels. It sounds like you want street fighter type stuff so yeah just use hakumen, he's practically that.

Fugu said:
Anyone other than me still playing this?

Proto and me play it regularly still. I just don't hop on unless he ask to play, if you got aim or msn or something you can add me and Ill just get on when you wanna play.

Fugu

God's Beard said:
Played for the first time today. Carl is pretty fun but the rest of the game sucks.
You've really turned me around on this game. So many wasted hours...

A lot of people complain about the length of the combos. I think it rewards consistency.

Grifter

I'm actually on a trip with friends and we are grinding this at night on Xbox. I played GG forever and the CS1 combos turned me off, gave me that Tekken feeling where I'm just annoyed and waiting for combos to end. CS2 shortened them and fixed most of my complaints.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grifter said:
I'm actually on a trip with friends and we are grinding this at night on Xbox. I played GG forever and the CS1 combos turned me off, gave me that Tekken feeling where I'm just annoyed and waiting for combos to end. CS2 shortened them and fixed most of my complaints.
Well that's just how arc sys normally is with fighters, each version blows the other one out of the water. Only time they fucked up was on GG Slash when the director *or was it producer?* Swaped positions with someone else and some silly choices were made. Of course they realized oh shit we fucked up and we got the fucking amazing awesomeness that was Accent Core afterwards, which might as well been GG XXX if slash never existed in the first place.

Check out the stuff on BBCSE and the trend is pretty much continuing

Grifter

I was fine with Slash, felt they wanted to really shake things up after #R perfected XX. ABA signaled a dropoff here.

I tell my friends I wish Capcom would change how characters play, add versatility, and nerfed crutch moves like Arc but folks get mad.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grifter said:
I was fine with Slash, felt they wanted to really shake things up after #R perfected XX. ABA signaled a dropoff here.

I tell my friends I wish Capcom would change how characters play, add versatility, and nerfed crutch moves like Arc but folks get mad.
The main goal of slash was a universal even playing field, the thing they did wrong was they over judged some nerfs and hella over judged some buffs *ky* After they realized that just using reloads gameplay style and focus with just random tweaks here and there, they were not gonna be able to top reload on balance, so they redid about half the cast from scratch added in two new systems, one being EX moves that helped boost a characters strong points or cover a really bad point about them, and started balancing the characters from there for extensive location testing. AND THAT IS WHAT MAKES ARC SO GOOD, the damn location testing.

But honestly I doubt a fighter will ever get as close to perfect balance as GGXXAC. I mean LOL at sbo finals being one team the top 3 characters in the game vs the 3 weakest characters in the game. It really goes to say a lot about how fine tuned the game is.

Capcom tried the whole mixing things up with SF3 we all know how sourly that was taken by most people. The problem with sf2/4 characters for the most part is the engine is designed around not complex actions really so there isn't much you can do to really mix the characters up a ton. Ibuki/C.Viper/Oni/Elfurte/ and a few others really are very different from the rest of the cast. But the problem after the unique guys go away the other 2/3rds start to feel a bit the same with only different perks setting them apart.

Which is why I'm glad Capcom at least attempted to try and make all the characters pretty damn different from each other in mvc3 as a whole. They messed up with a few characters, but ultimate is looking to fix that up. Hell Ultimate actually looks like exactly what arc sys does for the most part actually THIS IS A VERY GOOD THING. Of course most people with just cry that it's coming out so early and other stupid things.

Nyoro SF

Grifter said:

Indeed. I played after the CS2 patch and noticed they did strip down combos (right direction), but there are still quite a few characters that will just lock you and toss you around like a ragdoll for an obscene amount of time. At that point I'm not really playing a fighting game anymore, I'm just watching an unskippable cutscene.

QisTopTier said:
Use hakumen? Use Ragna? Use Mu? Use Tager? Use Platinum? I could go on actually. Wanting to tone down characters ends up killing character playstyles so no please don't freaking do this. Even guilty gear had crazy shit. Guilty gear combos were actually shorter for the most part which is what you want actually but guess what? They are about twice as strict with some shit involving mulitple 2-3 frame cancels. It sounds like you want street fighter type stuff so yeah just use hakumen, he's practically that.

Don't worry, I'm not asking to tone down characters and their individual strengths, just to make combos across the board shorter. Sure, there should probably be at least one or two characters that have long combos to appease the people who like to do long strings, but probably not a cast majority. Also, I'm surprised you didn't list Noel. :)

This would require an extreme engine overhaul, so I'm not going to selfishly ask BB to change for what I want, this is just my overall opinion regarding the game, and I didn't know if anyone else shared it.

Also fuck Arakune.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There are honestly only like 4 characters in the game with actually long combos, the rest last like 5-6 seconds? Not counting super animation on some. Noels combos are actually pretty short and simple. They just look drawn out. What you are asking for is like 5 or 6 hit combos for everyone? Not gonna happen xD

QisTopTier said:
Grats on judging the game after not knowing how to fucking play it LOL playing the game for a day doesnt mean much. Let's play a few matches if you got it on ps3 or play proto or fugu.
It's my roommate's game. I didn't play it for a day, I played for like an hour lol, and on pad. I just don't like how slow the game is and jumps are super floaty and gross. I watched the entire BB grand finals in person at EVO so I know what pretty good play looks like and I can more or less follow what's going on. Between the speed of the game and the choppy animation it just doesn't cut it for me. Same reason I don't play much SF4, too sluggish. I'm way excited for the Persona fighter, though. BB already feels like playing a crappier Jojo's with the button layout and character variety, so they might as well drop the pretense.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
It's my roommate's game. I didn't play it for a day, I played for like an hour lol, and on pad. I just don't like how slow the game is and jumps are super floaty and gross. I watched the entire BB grand finals in person at EVO so I know what pretty good play looks like and I can more or less follow what's going on. Between the speed of the game and the choppy animation it just doesn't cut it for me. Same reason I don't play much SF4, too sluggish. I'm way excited for the Persona fighter, though. BB already feels like playing a crappier Jojo's with the button layout and character variety, so they might as well drop the pretense.
Wrong, it feels like a crappy guilty gear :p

Fugu

God's Beard said:
Unfortunately, you sound just like the fans of the game.

I never understand the "too slow" complaint. I play Guilty Gear probably about as much as I play BB now and I still don't get it.

Korigama

Fugu said:
Unfortunately, you sound just like the fans of the game.

I never understand the "too slow" complaint. I play Guilty Gear probably about as much as I play BB now and I still don't get it.

Slow compared to MvC3, perhaps (which I have no problem alternating with), but most certainly faster than something like the SFIV titles. For me, the speed of BB feels just right (neither excessively fast nor painfully slow).

Fugu

Korigama said:
Slow compared to MvC3, perhaps (which I have no problem alternating with), but most certainly faster than something like the SFIV titles. For me, the speed of BB feels just right (neither excessively fast nor painfully slow).
I think that BlazBlue is a faster game than MvC3 in many ways. The active frames of the moves are obviously longer, but the combos are shorter, the rounds resolve faster, and the pacing of the movement is faster.

I've really gotta stop being an idiot in the anime thread . . .

Before D4, I hadn't my touched my PS3 for almost the entire three weeks I've been gone. I got a PSP right before and I've been playing the hell out of that whenever I can. I bought 4 SRPG's to go with it, with 2 more I've got my eye on, the Makai Kingdom and La Pucelle port, but I've only finished 1 so far. I'm almost in the middle of FFT, but I've been grinding jobs the whole time.

Anyway, I won't have time to play for the next few days, and I'll probably be without net for awhile, so even if I had the time I might still not be able to play anyone here, but I'll try to make an effort to improve in the coming weeks.

The week before I got my PSP, I managed to get in touch with a local guy that plays. I think he wants to get a scene going. I'm not too sure how well that'll work, but it'd be nice to have more people to play. He kicked my butt for a few hours that first time, and I haven't played with him and anyone else since. It's nice to not have to worry about lag though~

sephi22

You guys still talking about CS2? Or has a new update come out?
I just installed the CS2 patch, did the Platinum trials and quit. I've no idea where Hakumen stands at the moment. :/

Do we know whether extend is DLC or Disc, and whether Relius is the only new character? Fall 2011 is making it hard for me to make my yearly BB purchase

Fugu

Hakumen is alright. He can't quite deal damage like he used to but the tradeoff is a better neutral game. One of the most resonant nerfs is to j.D; you actually have to use your other counters now as you can't follow up from j.D. As usual, he just heavily rewards patience.

Fugu

I'm playing in a tournament next week so I'm going to exploit the fact that everyone else is taking a break to not suck. Air barriering and I do not agree.

Fugu said:
I'm playing in a tournament next week so I'm going to exploit the fact that everyone else is taking a break to not suck. Air barriering and I do not agree.
Oh, that's finally coming up?

I wanna see how much you've improved in this past month. >_>

Grifter

relius' animations and range are very nice, tho I'm not yet sure what he's hitting you with himself and I hate when that's not immediately obvious. (please don't recreate eddie.)

on the cs2 front, I've been working on worgenheim with buddies offline as much as possible, but moving around like the JP players is a high learning curve for me. online, the stance switch juggles make the lag much more apparent, tho I went for long noel silencer combos in CT without feeling like lag was an obstacle. is it input lag, or should I not worry about that? I started timing my buttons around input lag like a capcom fighter.

Fugu

Tournament time in about eight hours.

It is remarkable how this game has a penchant to attract criticism. I've put my heart into it and I'm still not good. I want to play these people.

Top Bottom