• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Fugu

So turns out I didn't get streamed because they were late as fuck and only streamed like four games of BB. Whatever, I came in second in Tetris Attack. No idea where I placed in BB though, I played like five games.

xero273

lol i thought they were going to stream Extend at this tourney... but looks like they aren't. Guess not allowed to or something.

EDIT: nevermind they are streaming it.

Fugu

Turns out I came in fifth. I'll take it.

What sort of problems are you having with Tager?

cj_iwakura said:
Rush him down. Keep the pressure on and don't let up. 236C, then bury him with your B&Bs. If he blocks it, try using 4C, 2C, then the aerial combo. Sometimes it catches them off guard since it's an overhead.

Then air dash away before he can follow up.
This is just going to get you trapped, though. Eventually, to contine your pressure you will have to do something unsafe, and Tager has a large number of options to deal with players who play in an unsafe manner. This becomes more problematic if the Tager you're playing against IBs your pressure. Also, if you escape with airdash, what is to stop him from using atomic collider when your time is up?

The single greatest advantage that every character has over Tager is that you can force him to approach you on your terms. If you don't want to approach him, there's not really all that much he can do about it unless you're magnetized, and magnetism only changes the rules of the game; it doesn't exactly do much to mitigate your two jumps and multiple dashes that you have over Tager. You should charge liberally when he doesn't have spark meter to frustrate him into approaching you in an unsafe manner. Punish B sledge whiffs and punish collider follow-ups even harder. When he does have spark meter, block and employ charge in the air to stagger your landing time so that Tager can't just sparkbolt you on the way down. The ultimate objective is to not even have to block the sparkbolt, because he still gains a ton of ground just by having you magnetized.

Learn what Tager pressure looks like so you can hit the ground running should you find yourself having to block. Know that he has no safe followups for 2D and that 6A does not have super armor against low property moves. Learn how to mash out of 5A 360A setups. Gadget finger is tough and intimidating, but ultimately Tager still has to guess right; generally the Tager player will not be inclined to just straight up put you back into a blockstring because Tager's blockstrings stink and he has much better (but much riskier) ways of getting damage. However, ultimately, you should aim to spend as little of this matchup as possible in a position where Tager can hit you. Your advantage is your control over the playing field; don't give it up. Make him the one that has to take risks and you'll find the matchup substantially less threatening.

thundr51

Fugu said:
Turns out I came in fifth. I'll take it.

What sort of problems are you having with Tager?

This is just going to get you trapped, though. Eventually, to contine your pressure you will have to do something unsafe, and Tager has a large number of options to deal with players who play in an unsafe manner. This becomes more problematic if the Tager you're playing against IBs your pressure. Also, if you escape with airdash, what is to stop him from using atomic collider when your time is up?

The single greatest advantage that every character has over Tager is that you can force him to approach you on your terms. If you don't want to approach him, there's not really all that much he can do about it unless you're magnetized, and magnetism only changes the rules of the game; it doesn't exactly do much to mitigate your two jumps and multiple dashes that you have over Tager. You should charge liberally when he doesn't have spark meter to frustrate him into approaching you in an unsafe manner. Punish B sledge whiffs and punish collider follow-ups even harder. When he does have spark meter, block and employ charge in the air to stagger your landing time so that Tager can't just sparkbolt you on the way down. The ultimate objective is to not even have to block the sparkbolt, because he still gains a ton of ground just by having you magnetized.

Learn what Tager pressure looks like so you can hit the ground running should you find yourself having to block. Know that he has no safe followups for 2D and that 6A does not have super armor against low property moves. Learn how to mash out of 5A 360A setups. Gadget finger is tough and intimidating, but ultimately Tager still has to guess right; generally the Tager player will not be inclined to just straight up put you back into a blockstring because Tager's blockstrings stink and he has much better (but much riskier) ways of getting damage. However, ultimately, you should aim to spend as little of this matchup as possible in a position where Tager can hit you. Your advantage is your control over the playing field; don't give it up. Make him the one that has to take risks and you'll find the matchup substantially less threatening.

Thanks! This worked MUCH better than what I was doing. At first I felt kinda silly sitting there being able to get a full bar but as you said, that forced him to either try a spark bolt or to crawl towards me. Not sure how I never noticed how slow he walks..

Fugu

The thing is, good Tager players know how the game is played. They're aware that you're going to turtle them out and that you're going to try to keep them at bay. You have to stay on top of how they're going to get in and what they do once they get there, because against a decent Tager you can't rely on never having to block. You need to make sure you absolutely never succumb to 6A super armor (you will pay) and you must distance yourself carefully around B sledge (he has a followup; if he CHs you with this, you will pay). You must anti-air diligently -- fortunately for you, Tsubaki's is probably the best in the game and you can jump cancel it, so you can take your blockstrings to the air if you land one on block -- because basically any hit on the air by Tager is going to suck.

Most importantly, however, you must assure that under no circumstances are you to be hit by gadget finger. You can be hit by 360A (beats a lot of stuff, mostly mash jab type behavior). You can be hit by 360B (beats attempts to throw Tager). You can be 5A'd into purple 360 (beats option select barrier or players with a slow reaction time). You can be 5A'd into safe 360 (beats attempts to tech throws). You can be baited into jumping out and get hit by collider -- this is a little more complicated and usually takes the form of an unsafe blockstring into collider, but he can also just do a bare collider immediately (beats jumpouts, obviously). He may just whip out his 6A and go from there (beats characters without fast low-hitting moves or players with slow reaction times). He may just charge his sparkbolt (beats burst and DPs) because he's done one of those options previously and he's just waiting for you to react to it. Or maybe he'll use 5A and then volt charge to fool you into thinking that he's going to follow it up with a 360 (beats attempts to mash DP out of 5A safe 360). Or he may just start pressuring you if he's feeling lucky or he's winning the round by a lot and just wants some space.
This is not the kind of situation you want to be put in. If you have been hit by gadget finger, you just have to pay attention and keep your actions ambiguous. Buffer DPs if you can because you may need one to get out. And finally, be careful how you counter assault here, because he may very well just bait that too.

Fugu

The ranked community on PS3 is about the same size that it has been for a few months now. There are a lot of people (like Lieutenant) that play the old revision basically until the day the new one comes out.

It's a disc.

The ranked community on PS3 is about the same size that it has been for a few months now. There are a lot of people (like Lieutenant) that play the old revision basically until the day the new one comes out.

It's a disc.

thanks, I'll just hold off then.

Yes Boss!

Is there a Blazblue fan that wants this stuff? I've no idea where it came from...it was mixed in with all the mail at the parents house in CA. Seems kind of jank to me but I'd be happy to send it to someone (in NA).

a4e5eecd.jpg

Is anyone actually getting Extend? Doesn't seem worth it with only Relius as a new character. If they added in Kokonoe as well I might consider it, but I can't see any reason to spend $40 on this.

Are they planning on adding more DLC characters like with Continuum Shift?

xero273

Is anyone actually getting Extend? Doesn't seem worth it with only Relius as a new character. If they added in Kokonoe as well I might consider it, but I can't see any reason to spend $40 on this.

i'm getting extend, but i'm a sucker for fighting games though so i buy almost all updated versions :(

they haven't said anything about more dlc characters.. but if they are don't expect free.

V-Gief

Most definitely getting Extend as well. I'll be importing it this time around though. Waiting for patches in euroland sucks bawls.

I imagine this is how most people look at the game, and fighters in general. "What, why aren't there more new characters?"

I wanted to import, but I don't think I'll have the money to spare. And I likely won't have the time to spare to make importing more attractive than just waiting, sadly.

I believe we may be announcing that soon ^^

And it may be sooner than you think haha

Don't me get hyped for nothing. Skullgirls has been playing with my heart lately so I can't really take too much more disappointment.

I saw there's some kind of big official tournament that's supposed to go down in February I think, and it's supposed to be played on Extend, so I was actually wondering if we'd have it before then. If you guys manage to get it out in January that'd be really cool. If you managed December, I'd have to wonder just how many virgins you sacrificed.

Did anyone else see the news about Extend adding 2v2 and 3v3 teams?

Do we have any details about how that works?

I'll get it for sure.

alstein

Don't me get hyped for nothing. Skullgirls has been playing with my heart lately so I can't really take too much more disappointment.

I saw there's some kind of big official tournament that's supposed to go down in February I think, and it's supposed to be played on Extend, so I was actually wondering if we'd have it before then. If you guys manage to get it out in January that'd be really cool. If you managed December, I'd have to wonder just how many virgins you sacrificed.

I'm really worried Extend and Skullgirls released around the same time will cannibalize each other.

Extend can't wait too long due to importing. Skullgirls may not be able to due to budgetary reasons, so it might happen anyways.

alstein

They're not the same type of game, so that shouldn't be a concern for anyone.

The real competition for SG is UMVC3.

They're competing for the time of FG fans with similar preferences though.

UMVC3 isn't competition, folks won't choose not to play either of these games because of UMVC3. I've never heard anyone say "I like Blazblue/AH, but I'm going to concentrate on Ultimate instead."

They're competing for the time of FG fans with similar preferences though.

If you're going to look at it generally like that, yea, but why not extend it further to all video games instead of just fighters. Every game released during the period that SG will drop could cannibalize the sales. I would think you wouldn't need to make such an obvious statement.

UMVC3 isn't competition, folks won't choose not to play either of these games because of UMVC3. I've never heard anyone say "I like Blazblue/AH, but I'm going to concentrate on Ultimate instead."

Of course you haven't, because they aren't the same type of game.

SG is, however, the same type of game as UMVC3. But, I seriously doubt anyone has held off on getting Marvel because of SG dropping two months later. And I also doubt anyone will say that they don't need SG because they already have Marvel, especially considering the price. So really, I don't think sales will be an issue for SG.

But people will likely eventually choose between Marvel and SG.

alstein

If you're going to look at it generally like that, yea, but why not extend it further to all video games instead of just fighters. Every game released during the period that SG will drop could cannibalize the sales. I would think you wouldn't need to make such an obvious statement.

Of course you haven't, because they aren't the same type of game.

SG is, however, the same type of game as UMVC3. But, I seriously doubt anyone has held off on getting Marvel because of SG dropping two months later. And I also doubt anyone will say that they don't need SG because they already have Marvel, especially considering the price. So really, I don't think sales will be an issue for SG.

But people will likely eventually choose between Marvel and SG.

I suspect that when people look at Skullgirls, they'll be much more likely to see Blazblue then Marvel, if only because of the artstyle.

I suspect that when people look at Skullgirls, they'll be much more likely to see Blazblue then Marvel, if only because of the artstyle.

I suspect that when people play Skullgirls, they'll be much more likely to see Marvel than Blazblue, if only because of the type of game it is.

Top Bottom