• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
hxa155 said:
The first one got 9.4. 8.5 is still a great score for a semi-expansion.

No clue how this doesn't score the same. New story mode, new online features, new characters and stages, new training modes, and DLC content coming and everything is graded down? WTF? That makes no damn sense.

I'd ask for the reviewer to be consistent, but its IGN and they're consistently bad. @.@

Kintaro said:
No clue how this doesn't score the same. New story mode, new online features, new characters and stages, new training modes, and DLC content coming and everything is graded down? WTF? That makes no damn sense.

I'd ask for the reviewer to be consistent, but its IGN and they're consistently bad. @.@

At least we can count on you to remain ever consistent sir.

Bebpo

Banned
Kintaro said:

If you're reviewing it from the point of view of someone who didn't play the original, it should score higher since it's everything that was in the original and more.

If you're reviewing it from the point of view of someone who played the original, it should score less, since it's fewer original content than the original.

For a review you're gonna have to balance that slider somewhere since you can only give one number.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:
If you're reviewing it from the point of view of someone who didn't play the original, it should score higher since it's everything that was in the original and more.

If you're reviewing it from the point of view of someone who played the original, it should score less, since it's fewer original content than the original.

For a review you're gonna have to balance that slider somewhere since you can only give one number.

It was the same reviewer for both games. Why should it score less? This is not the case for many, many sequels reviewed by the same person. If it improves on the original package in almost every way and is $20 cheaper, why should it automatically score less?

That's nonsense.

Ordered from Amazong last night. I'm ready!

IGN low numbers irk me and their comments about animation, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU!!!!!

But it's an okay review reading the wordy parts that aren't pinheads fellating the polycock. >:|

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Take Out Bandit said:
Ordered from Amazong last night. I'm ready!

IGN low numbers irk me and their comments about animation, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU!!!!!

But it's an okay review reading the wordy parts that aren't pinheads fellating the polycock. >:|
Yeah... their bit about the animation was weird.

DY_nasty said:
Yeah... their bit about the animation was weird.

I mean ASW games have always had wonky animation, but really? Compare apples to apples, and even Capcom was too lazy to match what they achieved with SF3 series.

I'm beginning to despise the polygon almost as much as the console FPS because of shit like this. :|

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Thanks to my friends at Aksys <3

4822221131_bb782a6a37_z.jpg

akachan ningen said:
I like they put Noel in there as if she was a new character. Does she have a new hat at least? :lol

Her bust might have increased by a few mm!

But seriously, I wish Amazon already had them and shipped them out. Seeing the DLC already available on XBLA makes me a sad panda. :(

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
akachan ningen said:
I like they put Noel in there as if she was a new character. Does she have a new hat at least? :lol

Well, to be fair, the boxart of SSF4 features a lot of veteran characters...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I wish they had used the Japanese cover, such a awesome artwork.

I don't know why Aksys wanted to be "different" with their cover though. =/

Challenge mode. I will do enough to get the basics down. I love BB:CT but felt that a Challenge mode was necessary. I love to mimic combos in matches, but to see that I can do others, then it's a big help.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
-DarKaoZ- said:
I wish they had used the Japanese cover, such a awesome artwork.

I don't know why Aksys wanted to be "different" with their cover though. =/

Cause it doesn't look good to a standard american audiance.... at least that's why they change covers :lol stupid I know

simtmb

The cover art still looks fine. It's good enough :lol

May order this in the coming weeks, as it will definitely take me away from SSFIV after i experience the usual ranked match angry outbursts of mine :lol

Q8D3vil

man, i live in the middle east and i hope i can play with euro gaffers without lag 9 i tried with my friend who live in france and it was lagless most of the time :D )

Q8D3vil said:
man, i live in the middle east and i hope i can play with euro gaffers without lag 9 i tried with my friend who live in france and it was lagless most of the time :D )

BB:CT had amazing netcode. I thought it was the best netcode for a fighting game.

hxa155

Q8D3vil said:

I play with my friends in the Middle East all the time when I'm in America and it works (mostly) flawlessly, so I don't think EU would be a problem.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Q8D3vil said:

I'm in the States and play Continuum Shift against Japanese players all the time. If there's one console fighting game that actually works for international play, it's BlazBlue!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sorry to say, but despite my earlier post in this thread about really looking forward to BB:CS, I think I'm going to pass. For the past several years, I've loved fighters. Was probably my favorite genre. GGXX, SFA, SF3, KOF, more obscure fighters than I can list...I loved them all.

Then the internet killed all that.

It used to be, I could just get a fighter and enjoy singleplayer for what it was. Enjoy the characters, the moves, and the story (well okay, not so much the story for most games...). But now that I've been exposed to high-level play, and online play...fighters have lost their fun for me. And the reason is pretty clear:

I'm just no good.

No matter how I try to look at it, it's the truth. After getting continually stomped in SSFIV, I realized that I'm just not cut out for fighters. Oh sure, I could just play singleplayer, but even if I do that I'll just constantly compare myself to the high-level players anyway. And I could practice and practice and practice, yes. But I'd honestly rather spend my time playing a variety of different games than spend all my time getting good at one game just so I can have fun with it.

So I guess this is it. I'm done with fighters. Really hope all you guys enjoy BB:CS though. It really does look like a lot of fun.

(And please, excuse this rambling, whiny post. Just had to get it off my chest. :lol )

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Seraphis Cain said:
Sorry to say, but despite my earlier post in this thread about really looking forward to BB:CS, I think I'm going to pass. For the past several years, I've loved fighters. Was probably my favorite genre. GGXX, SFA, SF3, KOF, more obscure fighters than I can list...I loved them all.

It used to be, I could just get a fighter and enjoy singleplayer for what it was. Enjoy the characters, the moves, and the story (well okay, not so much the story for most games...). But now that I've been exposed to high-level play, and online play...fighters have lost their fun for me. And the reason is pretty clear:

I'm just no good.

No matter how I try to look at it, it's the truth. After getting continually stomped in SSFIV, I realized that I'm just not cut out for fighters. Oh sure, I could just play singleplayer, but even if I do that I'll just constantly compare myself to the high-level players anyway. And I could practice and practice and practice, yes. But I'd honestly rather spend my time playing a variety of different games than spend all my time getting good at one game just so I can have fun with it.

So I guess this is it. I'm done with fighters. Really hope all you guys enjoy BB:CS though. It really does look like a lot of fun.

(And please, excuse this rambling, whiny post. Just had to get it off my chest. :lol )

It's entirely understandable- seriously. I do think the internet has taken a lot of the charm out of the old experience, while providing a different experience (that is better in some ways)

In the 90s, you got your info from USENET, or you learned through trial and error. Now it's all spoonfed via sites. This means players are a lot better, but there's less to discover, and less individual variety in styles.

Also fighters are probably the most unforgiving genre out there. At least bullet hell games let you continue. I'll say this- as a singleplayer experience- BB is probably the best of the bunch.

Seraphis Cain said:

I'm just no good.

Did you try playing with scrubs only?

LowParry

I'm sorta on the fence with Cain and his statement. I have a long history of playing fighters casually. I don't see myself going or exceeding tourny levels of play but I know damn well I can hold my own.

I think you have to look at both sides of the coin. On one end, you're always going to run into those who far exceed your play and murder you every round. To me, that gives me motivation to get better. But then on the other side of the coin, you'll have players that are right there with you in terms of playability. This is why I love GAF. You'll find both of these types of players here. And you'll get good feedback from questions you have or from those you play against. How you choose to play is entirely up to you. If a game truly doesn't make you happy, then just put it away and move on. What more can you do honestly?

Nemesis_

Can anyone confirm if either the US or JP release of Continuum Shift are region free? I doubt it, but no harm in asking. =P

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CcrooK said:
I'm sorta on the fence with Cain and his statement. I have a long history of playing fighters casually. I don't see myself going or exceeding tourny levels of play but I know damn well I can hold my own.

I think you have to look at both sides of the coin. On one end, you're always going to run into those who far exceed your play and murder you every round. To me, that gives me motivation to get better. But then on the other side of the coin, you'll have players that are right there with you in terms of playability. This is why I love GAF. You'll find both of these types of players here. And you'll get good feedback from questions you have or from those you play against. How you choose to play is entirely up to you. If a game truly doesn't make you happy, then just put it away and move on. What more can you do honestly?

What frustrates me is when I run into my hard limitations- which is mostly a horrible lack of high-level execution. I can do moves, and simple combos, but things like reliable FADC, or SF4's hard links - just are beyond me. I know I've got the mental skills to compete, cause in games with lower execution- I can occasionally win competitively. It's the physical that I feel holds me back. In my case, it feels like I'm too good to be a scrub, but not good enough to be competitive at a high level.

That's what makes me want to give up on games. One of the reasons I got into KOF98 so much was because outside of a few combo video things, it was executionally pretty easy, yet had a lot of depth. I appreciate Arcsys doing what they could in BB to make combos and high-level stuff a lot more practical and doable with their input buffers.

LowParry

arstal said:
What frustrates me is when I run into my hard limitations- which is mostly a horrible lack of high-level execution. I can do moves, and simple combos, but things like reliable FADC, or SF4's hard links - just are beyond me. I know I've got the mental skills to compete, cause in games with lower execution- I can occasionally win competitively. It's the physical that I feel holds me back. In my case, it feels like I'm too good to be a scrub, but not good enough to be competitive at a high level.

That's what makes me want to give up on games. One of the reasons I got into KOF98 so much was because outside of a few combo video things, it was executionally pretty easy, yet had a lot of depth. I appreciate Arcsys doing what they could in BB to make combos and high-level stuff a lot more practical and doable with their input buffers.

Agreed. SF4, as much fun it is to play, is something of a hassle to learn. FADC's aren't easy at all to get down. Which is probably why I stay away from the more FADC type of characters that fully use that (ala: Ryu with Ultra 1). Vega and Bison are easy to pick up on and not having to worry on full fledged FADC attacks.

BB is more dial in a combo (So is Tekken!) but you have to check your timings. It isn't easy but once it clicks, you pick up on the small things that didn't make sense before.

I dunno. I just like things more simple with my fighters. I've been going back to HD Remix and having a whole lot of fun with it. It's not over the top combo friendly but not too simple with gameplay. Which makes me want VF5R more and more now.

But with more fighters on the horizon (KoFXIII, MvC3, Namco vs Capcom (c'mon, it's going to happen!)), the style of fighter you want is going to be there for you to enjoy.

Solune

Seraphis Cain said:

I'm just no good.

You shouldn't discourage yourself from playing fighters. I'm sure at some point all of us owned the shit out of our friends and local competition and thought no one could triumph over yourself. And then you realize your really not as hot as you thought you were, happens to the best of us.

If you have an interest in fighters just block out high level play and play with some gaffers or try to find some people around the same skill level. That's the best way to have fun I think. Hell I can't do half of the stuff that was shown for Melty Blood Actress Again at EVO, but I so wanna pick that game up just because I love Type-Moon characters.

Dexa

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Can anyone confirm if either the US or JP release of Continuum Shift are region free? I doubt it, but no harm in asking. =P
jap 360 is region locked - and my guess us 360 will be too

Seraphis Cain said:

I'm just no good.

BlazBlue is the game for you. I suck ass at fighters, an average fight in SFIV lasts like 8 seconds before I get my ass kicked, but I can usually hold my own in BlazBlue.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
CcrooK said:
Agreed. SF4, as much fun it is to play, is something of a hassle to learn. FADC's aren't easy at all to get down. Which is probably why I stay away from the more FADC type of characters that fully use that (ala: Ryu with Ultra 1). Vega and Bison are easy to pick up on and not having to worry on full fledged FADC attacks.

BB is more dial in a combo (So is Tekken!) but you have to check your timings. It isn't easy but once it clicks, you pick up on the small things that didn't make sense before.

I dunno. I just like things more simple with my fighters. I've been going back to HD Remix and having a whole lot of fun with it. It's not over the top combo friendly but not too simple with gameplay. Which makes me want VF5R more and more now.

But with more fighters on the horizon (KoFXIII, MvC3, Namco vs Capcom (c'mon, it's going to happen!)), the style of fighter you want is going to be there for you to enjoy.

VF seems to be another series that is moving in a BB-style direction, at least with FS. I love the system changes I've read about- most of them seem to be getting rid of the hard option selects VF which became quite common when playing the top VFDC players.

BB I think still has that silly barrier guard/throw break option select, but that's not something hard to do, so it's not as bad.

The thing that I hate about SF4 is that I felt like the things that were clunky, just didn't need to be clunky. It's like it was intentional design just to make the game harder when it didn't need to be. It's why I'm not a fan of old-school SNK fighter motions, or even 360s/720s.

One of my friends dabbles in 2d fighters casually. He really likes MvC2. I got him into vanilla SF4. He hated that. Then I got him into BB. He loved BB! The difference, he found, between the 2 was how restricted motion was. In SF motion is really restricted. Theres a lot to why the restricted motion in SF can frustrate people, but thats an essay unto itself. The point is BB doesn't have restricted motion. Or it has comparatively unrestricted motion. In the end he found that, even when losing in BB, he was still having fun. Unlike in SF.

Top Bottom