• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Kimosabae

Banned
Why can't anime dubs in general be as good as this? I s it due to the fact that the character are static images? Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, but even if that were the case, games like SF4 have horrible voice work with or without dialogue in animated cutscenes.

Shit makes no sense.

Kimosabae said:
Why can't anime dubs in general be as good as this? I s it due to the fact that the character are static images? Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, but even if that were the case, games like SF4 have horrible voice work with or without dialogue in animated cutscenes.

Shit makes no sense.

Its the difference between good dub direction and bad dub direction. Most anime dubs just have shitty voice direction.

Also are these endings seriously 10-14 minutes or are people editing all the story shit together? :|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Take Out Bandit said:
Its the difference between good dub direction and bad dub direction. Most anime dubs just have shitty voice direction.

Also are these endings seriously 10-14 minutes or are people editing all the story shit together? :|

The gag endings are literally that long, it's hilarious.

I did Noel's last night. It took around the same time, they actually put a lot of effort into each one.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, but, this has been a problem for literally DECADES. You'd think some type of professional standard for dub voice work would arise. It's still all over the place, like the Japanese don't even know the criticisms.

vocab

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, but, this has been a problem for literally DECADES. You'd think some type of professional standard for dub voice work would arise. It's still all over the place, like the Japanese don't even know the criticisms.

There kind of is a standards for dubs (high quality), but it's extremely expensive, and not viable when the anime industry kinda downsized in the last 5-8 years. So you'll more than likely hear sub par bullshit.

I actually loaded up story mode about an hour ago, but they started explaining things that I never even saw in the previous story mode
(Noel saves Ragna? WTF?)
. I decided then and there to load up BB:CT since I've got 90% for almost the entire cast.

How do you get 100% for every character in the first game? Do you have to lose fights as well?
Drac said:
AS (rightfully) wants you to play the story mode. Seriously I hate unlock-able characters in fighting game as much as the next guy but the story mode is too awesome to ignore, especially bad and comedy endings where all their budget went (Kokonoe looks at Tsubaki breasts... "Are you also an enemy ?!"). (well I'm talking with the JP version here, I have no idea if the English dubs are as awesome as the original materials)

edit after looking at youtube video of the previous post:
ok you have my sympathy...
I actually love the visual style of story mode and some of the plots(Mecha Tager? lolz) are absolutely hilarious. I was just under the impression that story mode for every character would be as tedious as the first time when I played BlazBlue:CT.

Papercuts

Holy shit at Tager's gag ending. :lol

I am the white void! Ecetera, ecetera... THE END HAS COME!

xero273

SolarPowered said:
I actually loaded up story mode about an hour ago, but they started explaining things that I never even saw in the previous story mode
(Noel saves Ragna? WTF?)
. I decided then and there to load up BB:CT since I've got 90% for almost the entire cast.

How do you get 100% for every character in the first game? Do you have to lose fights as well?

I actually love the visual style of story mode and some of the plots(Mecha Tager? lolz) are absolutely hilarious. I was just under the impression that story mode for every character would be as tedious as the first time when I played BlazBlue:CT.

You have to lose some fights in CT. I used this to get 100%

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/958720-blazblue-calamity-trigger/faqs/56987

SolarPowered said:
(Noel saves Ragna? WTF?)

Yea losing counts plus some characters have paths where you have finish an enemy with a Distortion Drive. (Eg. Litchi, Tager, Noel).

Papercuts said:
Holy shit at Tager's gag ending. :lol

I am the white void! Ecetera, ecetera... THE END HAS COME!

what happened to
Gold Tager?

Drac

SolarPowered said:

Well I won't say you can 100% story mode quickly, but it's a lot more easy to do than in CT, as each character only have 3 ending (Hakumen only have 2 if I remember correctly ?, only Tsubaki require Astral Finish) and the choices you have to make to unlock the different paths are a lot more apparent. If anything there is less fighting and a lot, a lot more cut-scenes (and my controller went off because of the lifesaver timer in almost every one of them :lol).

QisTopTier said:
These arn't really challenges these are bnb's sorta and some are weaker easier versions of the real ones :lol
WHAT? I'm planning on getting all trophies for this game too. :) From the looks of it, look like it has more than SSFIV.

Dresden

My copy is still sitting unwrapped, thanks to Starcraft. >_> I guess I'll wait till I get a decent stick or pad to play it with.

SephirothRK said:
WHAT? I'm planning on getting all trophies for this game too. :) From the looks of it, look like it has more than SSFIV.
You only need 100 for the trophy though. There are 14 characters (not counting DLC) for a total of 140 challenges, so you won't have to do all the harder ones. In other words, for every seven challenges you'll only have to complete five.

LegatoB

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Or you could just play story mode...
I realize this is going to sound remarkable to some of the people in this thread, but not everyone wants to spend two or three evenings paging through a sea of text in order to play as the new robot chick. Even worse, there may be people who'd actually like to enjoy story mode at their leisure but also want to have the new robot chick available to use, especially if they're the type to host offline gatherings.

LegatoB said:
I realize this is going to sound remarkable to some of the people in this thread, but not everyone wants to spend two or three evenings paging through a sea of text in order to play as the new robot chick. Even worse, there may be people who'd actually like to enjoy story mode at their leisure but also want to have the new robot chick available to use, especially if they're the type to host offline gatherings.

For the former, there is then start button.
For the latter... they have 4 or 5 days until PSN updates to have the $2 unlock key... so...

Papercuts

Aw, I guess they made the 720 do a set amount of damage? I snagged a runaway lamba that had a negative penalty, still was only 5620. I remember in CT a negative penalty and danger state made it do like 16000.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SephirothRK said:
There's a lot of content in this game for $40, I'm happy.
but but but ONLY 3 NEW CHARACTERS SSF4 HAD 10 OMGAAAAAAAAH THIS GAME SUCKS

seriously :lol :lol :lol

Oh as for the story mode thing, I unlocked mu in like 4 hours and that was taking the time to enjoy the story. You don't have to play everyones just. Ragna, Jin, Noel, Rachel, Tsubaki, Hakumen, Hazama, True End. Bam you got Mu-12

LegatoB

hikarutilmitt said:
For the former, there is then start button.
For the latter... they have 4 or 5 days until PSN updates to have the $2 unlock key... so...
Unless I missed something, the start button won't skip anything. You can only start skipping scenes (with R1) if you've already seen them once.

LegatoB said:
Unless I missed something, the start button won't skip anything. You can only start skipping scenes (with R1) if you've already seen them once.

IIRC, there was a way in CT to skip the dialog boxes even from the start (I know holding R1 did it, but I could have sworn pressing start or select would too). I remember doing this for characters I had no interest in learning the story for (Carl, Arakune, etc) just so I could get the 100% done with for them.

LegatoB

QisTopTier said:
Turn text speed on instant, mash X
My point is it's a tedious procedure and unlockable characters are Satan's own work and fuck Sony for not putting up the DLC day 1.

hikarutilmitt said:
I remember doing this for characters I had no interest in learning the story for (Carl, Arakune, etc) just so I could get the 100% done with for them.
I haven't the slightest clue why you bothered with story mode in the first place, then.

LegatoB said:
My point is it's a tedious procedure and unlockable characters are Satan's own work and fuck Sony for not putting up the DLC day 1.

I haven't the slightest clue why you bothered with story mode in the first place, then.

trophy + opening true ending + OCD completion crap

Volcynika

If you hit like R1 or R2 (PS3 version) or something during story scenes, it'll ask you if you want to skip to the next bit, hit yes, voila!

_dementia said:
Try breaking them down into separate parts before you put it all together.

that is good advice, and it's what I've been doing, but there's always one little thing that goes wrong. For example, in a lot of the Hazama trials, you have to do something like j.C x 5, jump cancel then j.C x 5 again xx 214B

and of course each time, I'll get to the 4th hit of the 2nd set of j.C, they'll drop out of the combo

Chozo

Just picked this up, going through the tutorial when I have time because for some reason I buy fighting games despite the fact that I am utterly terrible at them.

Not being able to pull off Ragna's (B, C, QCB + A) x 2, QCB D combo makes me feel like a dumbass =(

Volcynika

X-Play reviewed it: http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63422/BlazBlue-Continuum-Shift/review/

The Pros
*Fast, smooth, aggressive fighting action
*Online play picks up single-player slack
*Beautiful 2D graphics and solid soundtrack

The Cons
*Single-player is as hollow as ever
*Learning curve may intimidate new players
*Still exists in the shadow of Guilty Gear

The fact remains that BlazBlue is nothing if not a spiritual remake of Guilty Gear. Again, that’s not a bad thing—it’s just a familiar thing, so know what to expect. I like the Guilty Gear XX games quite a bit, and in my estimation BlazBlue is just about as good. It doesn’t feel as original, but it’s a good fighter in its own right and I’m glad to see that unique Guilty Gear DNA carrying forward. If a rose by any other name smells as sweet, then BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is a pretty fragrant fighter…or something like that.

Top Bottom