• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kimosabae said:
Why can't anime dubs in general be as good as this? I s it due to the fact that the character are static images? Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis, but even if that were the case, games like SF4 have horrible voice work with or without dialogue in animated cutscenes.

Shit makes no sense.

Did they improve the dub from CT? Cause that had pretty crummy voice work, though some of it could be attributed to bad writing and dialogue that had no flow.

And that its a fighting game.

Why is there this wierd fixation with a steep learning curve with BB from reviewers? The game assigns an entire button to what are escentially special moves! Did they all start with Carl?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SatelliteOfLove said:
Why is there this wierd fixation with a steep learning curve with BB from reviewers? The game assigns an entire button to what are escentially special moves!

I .... don't know how to adress this. But that's totally the wrong logic :lol

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Spent a few hours on story mode, for those of you that prefer Japanese voice for everything from Anime to Gaming to GPS to 911 calsl.

You will miss some of the most amazing VO ever made.

I choose Japanese for CT story mode, however, in CS, the English VO is way superior compare to the Japanese dub.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
kiunchbb said:
Spent a few hours on story mode, for those of you that prefer Japanese voice for everything from Anime to Gaming to GPS to 911 calsl.

I choose Japanese for CT story mode, however, in CS, the English VO is way superior compare to the Japanese dub.

It's mostly cause the script, it's the same voice actors :lol The voices have always been good.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Why is there this wierd fixation with a steep learning curve with BB from reviewers? The game assigns an entire button to what are escentially special moves! Did they all start with Carl?

Well, most characters were very, very difficult to use in CT. I don't know about CS yet, but in the last game you couldn't expect to be even halfway decent with any character (except Ragna) without weeks in training mode.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Knux-Future said:
Did Jin just rape Ragna?....

dude is really creepy in this game.

I prefer with Tao, kokonoe, and jubei all rape hazama

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Well, most characters were very, very difficult to use in CT. I don't know about CS yet, but in the last game you couldn't expect to be even halfway decent with any character (except Ragna) without weeks in training mode.

It's not even that, look how good they got playing only the arcade version, its just lots and lots of fight experience over time :lol

Sir Ilpalazzo said:

Nnnnnnot quite. Litchi, Arakune, CARL...yeah. Like, you take Noel, had no real problems getting used to her speed, recovery, etc. Only when her later B&Bs and that damn shoe-horning into one playstyle hit did my lack of effort catch up to me (you can read about it in the CT thread).

There's not a fighter on earth with good difficulty curve (SF, VF, SC, etc) that doesn't have characters that are on the hard side of the line (Hugo, Akira, Voldo, etc), and the easy side of the line (Ken, Lei-Fei, Maxi).

Dresden

So the story mode is actually really good? I bought CT used and played through Noel/Rachel story modes, and returned it for full credit after that--just wanted to see if I would like the BB playstyle. I wonder if I should bother going back to CT before I start CS. Or maybe I'll just watch those Youtube uploads of the story mode.

Infinite Justice said:
Yea losing counts plus some characters have paths where you have finish an enemy with a Distortion Drive. (Eg. Litchi, Tager, Noel).

what happened to
Gold Tager?
Drac said:
Well I won't say you can 100% story mode quickly, but it's a lot more easy to do than in CT, as each character only have 3 ending (Hakumen only have 2 if I remember correctly ?, only Tsubaki require Astral Finish) and the choices you have to make to unlock the different paths are a lot more apparent. If anything there is less fighting and a lot, a lot more cut-scenes (and my controller went off because of the lifesaver timer in almost every one of them :lol).
Ahh, thanks for the info. I've already put it to use and I've managed to cut the list down to Ragna, Jin, Noel and Litchi for this weekend. I can't wait to get my hands on MU...next week.
kiunchbb said:

I usually stick with the Japanese VA, but all the praise the English VA has received convinced me to switch the VA when I start story mode on CS.
xero273 said:
You have to lose some fights in CT. I used this to get 100%

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/958720-blazblue-calamity-trigger/faqs/56987
I also forgot to mention this one. The added tips on who to distortion drive are an added bonus since I'm ready to do Ragna, Jin and Noel.

Coeliacus

I watched some of the gag video endings in English and it just hurts my brain. ><
I get why they are funny, but they still make me shudder. They sound so incredibly forced and unnatural. Ragna sounds like he's drunk some cool-aid.

I get that it's so subjective, but when people say it's a high quality dub, I really am baffled to see how.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zanken said:
I watched some of the gag video endings in English and it just hurts my brain. ><
I get why they are funny, but they still make me shudder. They sound so incredibly forced and unnatural. Ragna sounds like he's drunk some cool-aid.

I get that it's so subjective, but when people say it's a high quality dub, I really am baffled to see how.

cause all you are doing is watching the gag videos where the characters are acting out of character :lol

LegatoB

Giolon said:
I don't get people who don't like BB's story. It's like the anime version of Lost!
I'm just going to let this statement hang in the air, like a particularly wet fart that everyone is too polite to mention.

Giolon

LegatoB said:
I'm just going to let this statement hang in the air, like a particularly wet fart that everyone is too polite to mention.

Hey now it's true! It's so complex and convoluted and makes so little sense that you just can't help but laugh at it (and love it).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pandaman said:
i couldnt find this game today. :(

which might be good because now the ps3 is acting up.
ps3 #3.
lol sony.
lol.

Canada? It seems like something got messed up with the shipment there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Random character speculation time!

If you look at the individual character settings in story mode, note the order they have the characters in, it's ordered from vets to newcomers. After Hakumen(end of CT only) there's lamba, tsubaki, hazama, and mu--the new characters in CS. Right after nu is Makoto, who is the first DLC character. After her is Valkenhayne, after him is Platinum. The way they were ordered with the placeholder had them ordered with Valk after Makoto.

The next three are
Relius Clover, Kokonoe, and Jubei.
After them(who all seem very likely candidates), there's nago, gii, other realllly minor characters.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! /lookingtoofarintothings

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, I can't do Normal arcade mode worth a damn. I spent like 30 minutes on Unlimited Hazama with Ragna until I found a cheese strat. =X

Also, Rachael in the tutorial mode is hilarious. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
QisTopTier said:
What the? The single player is.... lacking?

That's an odd/wrong way of summing it up. I wonder why they listed that in their cons section when he said:

Arc nailed all the basic fighting game prerequisites in Calamity Trigger, and has focused on single-player attractions in Continuum Shift. New features include Challenge Mode (similar to SFIV’s Trials), Legion Mode (a quick diversion where you conquer spaces on a map while recruiting the fighters you defeat) and an even more fleshed-out Story Mode, in which you experience each character’s story through cutscenes .

Alas, none of these offerings break the curse of single-player mode in fighting games: BlazBlue’s just not as much fun to play against computer opponents. While Continuum Shift’s fantastical setting and highly convoluted background story have some appeal, I actually found the lengthy Story Mode to be borderline offensive in its continual, banal regurgitation of anime claptrap. Clicking through 45 minutes of juvenile, poorly written and goofy voiced cut-scenes to get to six or seven single-round CPU fights is not my idea of a good time. Considering that there are 15 different character stories, each with branching paths, well, there’s one achievement I won’t be earning.

With that in mind, there are two paths to salvation: one, find a nearby friend who’s as into hardcore fighters, or two, partake in online shenanigans. Luckily the online play seems just as solid as before, so even friendless folk needn’t worry about suffering King of Fighters XII coaster syndrome.

So why didn't they just say the bolded part?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What is the deal with higher-level players coming into rooms I'll make with names like "beginners" or "noob room?" What do you get out of mauling a bunch of low-level players in player matches? I'd be bored as hell doing that.

Lyte Edge said:
What is the deal with higher-level players coming into rooms I'll make with names like "beginners" or "noob room?" What do you get out of mauling a bunch of low-level players in player matches? I'd be bored as hell doing that.

you're no noob though. you're just luring in the noobs so you can wail on them. :lol
btw, why do you have a separate account for sf4?

Ilparazzo

Argh, why do I keep reading this thread? Only thing it does is make me want to play more and my game still hasn't arrived. Damn you post office!

ZealousD said:
Man, I can't do Normal arcade mode worth a damn. I spent like 30 minutes on Unlimited Hazama with Ragna until I found a cheese strat. =X

Also, Rachael in the tutorial mode is hilarious. :lol
Is everybody raising the standard difficulty of CPU's in the options before they go into arcade?

It only took two tries for me to whoop his ass, but I was shitting bricks at first when he released himself from his
poison orb
restriction.:lol

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Reviewed it for EGM. It is incredibly deep. So many little fighting systems in there, like the multiple guards, the 'break', being rewarded for taunts, being able to combo throws...

Wish I knew of this series earlier on.

Very steep learning curve but worth it if you have friends who'll invest the time into the game with you.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Oh yeah - the character with the poison thing keeps fucking me up and regenerating his health. WTF am I doing wrong (aside from sucking).

<--- Blazblue noob.

Top Bottom