• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

2San

FlightOfHeaven said:
Don't.

Getting INTO the game is easy, but mastering it is hard. In my opinion, it's very noob friendly in that a lot of things just naturally link into each other. Motions, in general, aren't complex.

Mastering it, however, is rather difficult.

Get it. The tutorial mode is excellent.
So what you're saying is that the actual execution of skills isn't hard, but it's how/when you use the skills is where the difficulty lies?

Volcynika said:
I'll take the Hazama av if someone can flip it :eek:
good tastes

oj5Fw.png

2San said:
So what you're saying is that the actual execution of skills isn't hard, but it's how/when you use the skills is where the difficulty lies?

It's finding the most efficient chain of attacks that's hard. Also, BB player LOVE their extended combo strings, and as they get longer, they generally become more complex and stricter in their timing requirements. Doing short, simple combos, well, it's really very easy.

Challenge doesn't cover that at all, though, it dives straight into 7-8 part combo strings.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
N4Us said:
I downloaded both Makoto and the System Update on the 360 and I can't seem to find Makoto anywhere. Is there some specific way I have to choose her or should I just try redownloading her?

Redownloaded, went back to title screen, still nothing. Uhhhhhhhhh

She's on the lower left hand corner of the select screen. She's really easy to miss if you're not paying attention. I thought she'd be in the middle...

BB:CS learning Curve: I think it's easy to learn, easy to feel competent in, but a bit unatural to master. It's can be done, surely, but the midpoint (mastering your basic revolvers combos, a few of those with special move enders, proper distortion drive use) and the high point (HJC combos, hit confirming everything safely, mastering your drive in awkward situations, knowing which moves prorate less in very similiar combos, awkward links, longer-than-average hitstun in situations that look like you SHOULD have been able to flip out ages ago, character-size-specific combos) are pretty far apart.

And the things characters like Litchi, Bang, and even Tager, can do to you without even touching meter use! Go up aganist good players of those characters, without prior knowledge, and you won't even have fun oogling at how much they just massacred you.

This is all fine if Blazblue becomes your Fighter Of Forever 2010! Find the character you LOVE, and you'll want to take on these challenges! But I think it really cuts down on the desire to casually play the game.

Arksys doesn't do as nice a job of restricting command normals to sensible buttons as SNK, which causes a lot of "hey, I didn't mean to do that!" and "I didn't wanna do that while dashing in!". Revolver combos and normals can have some awkward properties, and in general, the game seems to depend on obscure knowledge / intense character study, rather than an intuitive feel.

Personally, I still think this game does everything better than BB: CT, however. I still think some loops are stupid and over-abuseable, but taken as a whole, I can say I'm enjoying this game, and it's modified characters more. I find it a better startpoint if you've never played BB before, since it feel mostly more refined.

Especially if you're willing to take advantage of it's tutorials! It's nice they try to help you master the "awkwardness" of it all, and they do a very good job at it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FlightOfHeaven said:
It's finding the most efficient chain of attacks that's hard. Also, BB player LOVE their extended combo strings, and as they get longer, they generally become more complex and stricter in their timing requirements. Doing short, simple combos, well, it's really very easy.

Challenge doesn't cover that at all, though, it dives straight into 7-8 part combo strings.

8 part combos? man thats basic... Im doing 14 part or more with Mu now... this stuff isnt even in the dang challenge mode :lol

edit: well 18 part if you count the dashes and cancel :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Compared to (S)SF4, BB moves quite a bit faster and is a much-more offensively-oriented game. If you've never played Guilty Gear or this before, the closest thing it will remind you of is one of Capcom's Marvel/Tatsunoko Vs. games.

I have a preference for the more ground-based fighters like SF and KOF, but I still am having fun with BB. I don't plan on ever getting into the game hardcore, and that's okay. There are plenty of people playing who are at my level.

QisTopTier said:
8 part combos? man thats basic... Im doing 14 part or more with Mu now... this stuff isnt even in the dang challenge mode :lol

But you're a (former?) Guilty Gear tournament player, are you not? You're one of the higher-level, if not the highest-level BB players here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Lyte Edge said:
But you're a (former?) Guilty Gear tournament player, are you not? You're one of the higher-level, if not the highest-level BB players here.

BB for the most part is easier than GG although CS added some weird delayed based combos that took me a bit to get used too.

QisTopTier said:
What was the color pack with the guilty gear colors?
they're mixed between the 3 packs you you have to buy them all if you want Sol Ragna, Ky/Robo-Ky Jin, Potempkin Tager, Dizzy Mu-12, Baiken Haumen, etc.

so buy them all lolz

Ferrio

Banned
Litchi's combos might be beyond me, or atleast beyond my patience in learning. Even watching match videos these guys that are really good regularly fuck up on it.

Edit: Anyone playing now? I'm home and bored.

QisTopTier said:

That's why I said they start with. That's what good players consider "basic."

He should play anyways. None of my friends aim to become tournament players, and neither to do I. We're just playing for fun, and if we can do some basic combos, that's great.

Lyte Edge

QisTopTier said:
BB for the most part is easier than GG although CS added some weird delayed based combos that took me a bit to get used too.

Right. And so that seems like it would give you a big advantage. I'm sure if I had been playing GG like crazy all these years I'd be laughing at people saying BB is hard to get into too. :lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_dementia said:
they're mixed between the 3 packs you you have to buy them all if you want Sol Ragna, Ky/Robo-Ky Jin, Potempkin Tager, Dizzy Mu-12, Baiken Haumen, etc.

so buy them all lolz

This info was incorrect xD

I believe the gg colors are in pack 2 its the 4th one

At least it is for mu <3 dizzy

Lyte Edge

FlightOfHeaven said:
He should play anyways. None of my friends aim to become tournament players, and neither to do I. We're just playing for fun, and if we can do some basic combos, that's great.

Yes, everyone gets too worked up over thinking that they're going to have to be tournament-level pros to play all these fighting games online. You start small, at the bottom, and work your way up. You'll find plenty of beginners like yourself to play. In BB you can even title the names of rooms, so you can mark and name your room as being one for novice players. That's what I've been doing (although it's harder to do so on XBL, since I'm at level 21, LOL) and I've been having fun. Once I feel comfortable with a combo or the beginning part of a combo, then I move onto the next complex one.

2San

Isn't the whole easy play hard to master the case with most(good) fighters. Hence I asked for how it compares to the SF4 difficulty curve. From what I get the consensus is that it's a lot more steep compared to SF4?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
2San said:
Isn't the whole easy play hard to master the case with most(good) fighters. Hence I asked for how it compares to the SF4 difficulty curve. From what I get the consensus is that it's a lot more steep compared to SF4?

SSF4 compared to it is the kiddie pool, BB is an olympic swimming pool, GG is the ocean
:lol :lol

Lyte Edge

So I got Makoto on PS3 too. If you're having trouble finding the BBCS content on PSN, just access it from the game's store menu instead of through the PSN store.

And I see that the ranked match option on PSN is 1.01. So why is 360 still on 1.00 even after the patch was made available?

2San said:

What fighters do you usually play? If it's just games like SF, then yes, it's going to feel a lot more steep, IMO.

Volcynika said:
Makoto is pretty cool, though I suck at remembering what she can do :lol

Yeah, she seems pretty fun. I got absolutely owned up and down by a Tager player though.

2San

QisTopTier said:
SSF4 compared to it is the kiddie pool, BB is an olympic swimming pool, GG is the ocean
This is what I figured as well. Getting it later on, I guess.
Lyte Edge said:
What fighters do you usually play? If it's just games like SF, then yes, it's going to feel a lot more steep, IMO.
I really got into fighters with Soul Blade(calibur) and Tekken. Did play some casual SFII here and there. SSF4 got me into(2d) fighters again, but I want to master the games and not just for casual play. I'm starting to learn SSF4 atm, I thought I'd get BB early if the difficulty was comparable to SSF4. Since BB's diffeculty curve is a lot steeper. I figured it's a lot a better if I just focus on SSF4 for now and get BB after I'm good at SSf4.

amodf

How integrated is Makoto into the game? Is she just an additional character for vs./online/story, or does she have her own Tutorial or Challenge mode?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dresden said:
So who are the other characters coming out? I heard Valkenhayn, who else?
Platinum... she should be hilarious in matches

amodf said:
How integrated is Makoto into the game? Is she just an additional character for vs./online/story, or does she have her own Tutorial or Challenge mode?

She has her own Tutorial and challenge mode.

Lyte Edge

2San said:
This is what I figured as well. Getting it later on, I guess.

I really got into fighters with Soul Blade(calibur) and Tekken. Did play some casual SFII here and there. SSF4 got me into(2d) fighters again, but I want to master the games and not just for casual play. I'm starting to learn SSF4 atm, I thought I'd get BB early if the difficulty was comparable to SSF4. Since BB's diffeculty curve is a lot steeper. I figured it's a lot a better if I just focus on SSF4 for now and get BB after I'm good at SSf4.

It's going to be just as difficult as SSF4 probably is for you, I'd say. Just that this is a different style of 2D fighter and what you're learning in Street Fighter is not really going to transfer over.

Just remember that the longer you wait, the better people are going to be getting. BBCS is new on consoles and lots of people are all learning the game right now. This is a good time to get into it, IMO.

But it depends on how much you want to play at the same time. SSF4 is my main fighter and BB will forever take a back seat to it. I like SSF4 a hell of a lot more. I plan on playing BB at a fairly-regular pace least up until MvC3 hits next year.

amodf said:

She's just like Mu. Can be used in tutorial/challenge/training/versus/online, but not in story or arcade. Haven't checked the other modes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man. I've poured hundreds of hours into various Guilty Gear games over the past few years. I thought that would mean I'd learn BlazBlue a bit more easily.

Boy was I wrong. :lol

Think I'll be sticking with Ragna until I learn the game a bit better.

BB is not that hard to get into to me, it not like your playing to become a tournament level player.

Then again i playing fighting games for years so maybe it's easier for people who play allot of fighting games. SSF4 is okay but i am more of a fan of KOF .
Truth is SSF4 is my least like fighter right now rather play KOF and maybe BB.
SSF4 with it's no run and only 1 jump just kept getting on my nerves more and more.

Lyte Edge

gundamkyoukai said:
BB is not that hard to get into to me, it not like your playing to become a tournament level player.

Then again i playing fighting games for years so maybe it's easier for people who play allot of fighting games. SSF4 is okay but i am more of a fan of KOF .
Truth is SSF4 is my least like fighter right now rather play KOF and maybe BB.
SSF4 with it's no run and only 1 jump just getting on my nerves more and more.

I want KOF XIII and KOF 2002 UM XBLA so badly, but there's no announcement for a XIII home version yet and 2002 UM keeps getting pushed back. :(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I always saw BB as more difficult to learn, but not nearly as frustrating as (S)SF4. Some of the mechanics in that game just irk me like no other.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DY_nasty said:
I always saw BB as more difficult to learn, but not nearly as frustrating as (S)SF4. Some of the mechanics in that game just irk me like no other.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not finding BBCS anywhere near as frustrating as SSFIV was. But then again I think I've always taken better to the faster style of fighters than the slower Street Fighter style. In SSFIV I always felt like my movement was being restricted somehow.

2San

I think I'll get it then. Seems the game will be selling at a cheap retail price as well.

edit: Where is the biggest community at on the PS3 or XBOX360?

DY_nasty

2San said:
I think I'll get it then. Seems the game will be selling at a cheap retail price as well.

edit: Where is the biggest community at on the PS3 or XBOX360?
I think most people who post here play on PS3.

I'm not sure which one is flat out bigger though.

btw, naming your lobby pays off. 'DYs scrub party' has saved me countless hours of grief... helps being the host too, you can kick people for styling on you and your scrub friends.

2San

DY_nasty said:
I think most people who post here play on PS3.

I'm not sure which one is flat out bigger though.

btw, naming your lobby pays off. 'DYs scrub party' has saved me countless hours of grief... helps being the host too, you can kick people for styling on you and your scrub friends.
Ah too bad, I got a stick for the 360 so I'm probably getting it for that.

What's with the f'd up release date for the Pal release. o_O

Coeliacus

QisTopTier said:
I really disagree with this in my own experience. I find SF4 combos to be much harder than BB coming from a GG background. Plinking, mp+mk and more difficult button combination with more frequent and tighter timing. Not to mention shortcuts and negative edge stuff me up all the time. Personally I think pianoing takes the cake though. :s

I played Axl in Accent Core btw. I spent a lot of time on the BnBs, but they never felt as awkward as what SF4 asked me to do.

Hypertrooper said:

Thanks a lot dude =]

So after playing around with CS awhile, the game feels a bit different from CT. Jin also feels a bit weird compared to before. Decided to try out Hazama for the time being. His zoning is a bit weird and his timings on combos differ depending on who you fight but he's pretty fun to play with so far.

Any Jin players from CT have opinions on him now? Is he better or worse than he was in CT?

DY_nasty

Zanken said:
I really disagree with this in my own experience. I find SF4 combos to be much harder than BB coming from a GG background. Plinking, mp+mk and more difficult button combination with more frequent and tighter timing. Not to mention shortcuts and negative edge stuff me up all the time. Personally I think pianoing takes the cake though. :s

I played Axl in Accent Core btw. I spent a lot of time on the BnBs, but they never felt as awkward as what SF4 asked me to do.
In SF, you may end up playing a tourney player online and get your ass beat, but it won't look like a nuke going off on your face. You might get perfected, but getting perfected in Blazblue just looks a lot grander than one in SF. I'm pretty sure the mental plays a big part in it...

Novid

Banned
Honesly i cant use charge chars in SSF4 if my life depended on it. SSF4 has easier links but BB CS got the better overall timing (never played CT) and im 50/50 with the charge finishers. I just got into fighters this generation (more RPG in PS1 and i was rewarded with Xenogears and Chrono Cross, More Action/Sport/Racing based in PS2 - and now more fighting based with hints and tinges of the latter two in PS3) and even though i main SSF4 (and never getting above 350 BP) i know i will be better on BB-CS because there online is more scrubfriendly and i have a chance (that and the fact the lack of lag and help towards fixing it if there is such, which will help in other online games)

So 3 hours away and the Japanese will get Latina Makoto. still on the fence with her. will be maining raggy and Haku-Man (sometimes Noel but Makoto IF i get her will take her place then she will have equal standing with the two men, then Noel with be a once in awhile deal)

SSFIV is a lot harder to get into, in my experience. Nothing flows naturally.

It figures my favorite character is Ibuki. Target Combos all day long.

Also, 100% on Story Mode!

Lambda's story is just depressing all around (even her gag ending...) and Arakune's "Help Me, Professor Kokonoe" segment was hilarious. No wonder he's the last to unlock...

Edit: Oh, and Luna is hilarious.

but _dementia got the character description wrong. Luna's mean, Sena's nice, and then there's Platinum the Trinity. Can't wait to see how the character turns out in game.

I played a little bit of GG and I felt like I knew what I was doing.....or at least I looked awesome. I hope sega stops being dickwads and another one comes out.

LowParry

Mak Unlimited is like Dudley 2.0. Shit is sick. But her normal self is pretty fucking hardcore. Mu and Mak does me good. Unless Mu just sucks in the end, but that aside, Mak is great.

Top Bottom