• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I can't believe I'm seriously considering paying the six bucks to get the Jin VA system voice. Mainly because I find the default system voice kinda annoying, especially her high pitched COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER. Listening to Jin's on YouTube and it's far better. :lol

But still, man, six bucks.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Man, it's a barren wasteland on XBL. :(

Minimum wait of two and a half minutes to find a match.

I quit since it takes so long to find a match and I just beat a higher level Hakumen and Arakune, two matches I'm traditionally shit at. SCIENCE!

eeeeeeeeeee!!!
This is actually pretty funny in my opinion. I run into large amounts of people everyday in the player lobbies with no ranked match history whatsoever. I think people are just fed up with some of the cons of online ranked matches(can't leave matches...even at the very beginning with drive cards) and characters who may seem one dimensional or a pain to play against(new players will scream at gadget finger and hazama for sure).

The game as a whole is an improvement over it's predecessor(burst fixes/better balancing for most/better story mode/tutorial/challenges), but that doesn't mean that beginners won't feel alienated or out of their league by some of the changes or mechanics added to the series.

My two cents.

Note:
I actually enjoy playing against Tager, Noel, and Jin in this game which is a miracle in and of itself. Not as fond of Hazama or Hakuman, but I can't complain about a high quality game in a genre that has only gotten smaller over the years.

SolarPowered said:
This is actually pretty funny in my opinion. I run into large amounts of people everyday in the player lobbies with no ranked match history whatsoever. I think people are just fed up with some of the cons of online ranked matches(can't leave matches...even at the very beginning with drive cards) and characters who may seem one dimensional or a pain to play against(new players will scream at gadget finger and hazama for sure).

The game as a whole is an improvement over it's predecessor(burst fixes/better balancing for most/better story mode/tutorial/challenges), but that doesn't mean that beginners won't feel alienated or out of their league by some of the changes or mechanics added to the series.

My two cents.

Damn the torpedoes!

Beginners either have the burning spirit of a WOYAH, or they don't! If they don't like getting whupped as the natural evolution of improving their game, go back to Madden and Final Fantasy! It's not safe for your frail self here. :D

Getting my face punched in is how I'm learning to improve my game. Such a shame that so many ePansies are out there. No jokes. This used to COST MONEY PER PLAY. Now you own the bloody thing for a fraction of what you would spend in the arcade.

I've only been playing ranked so as to avoid Unlimited characters and whatnot. I'll try unranked tomorrow.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Damn the torpedoes!

Beginners either have the burning spirit of a WOYAH, or they don't! If they don't like getting whupped as the natural evolution of improving their game, go back to Madden and Final Fantasy! It's not safe for your frail self here. :D

Getting my face punched in is how I'm learning to improve my game. Such a shame that so many ePansies are out there. No jokes. This used to COST MONEY PER PLAY. Now you own the bloody thing for a fraction of what you would spend in the arcade.

I've only been playing ranked so as to avoid Unlimited characters and whatnot. I'll try unranked tomorrow.
I haven't played a single ranked game yet... Like I said earlier man, just start up your own lobby. You can go into training mode while you wait :D

btw, I think the page cut me off but you and anyone else on xbl feel free to add me - DY nasTy IV

no reason why the 360 players can't link up more

QisTopTier said:
Is it strange that the first half of the video makes me wanna dance?
Shadow Red said:
Congrats and now you know what happens. Yeah Lambda's gag ending was tear-jerking.
I didn't even realize it was the gag reel until it was over.

That was not cool at all Kokonoe...
DY_nasty said:
Its a lot easier to just start up your own lobby. Put up beginner tags, no unlimiteds, ability to kick guys who are just there to whoop up on you, etc...

I actually deleted a bunch of friend requests and msgs last week by accident so if you and anyone else want to play just send me an invite and I'll be good to go whenever I'm not too busy.

DY nasTy IV

XBL
I'm pretty sure I played someone with an extremely similar name a few days ago. I actually joined their player match because I saw the similar name and thought it was you.:lol
Damn the torpedoes!

If only all the new players had this kind of attitude. My win percentage would be better and we'd never have to worry about matches again.:lol

DR2K

Banned
This used to COST MONEY PER PLAY. Now you own the bloody thing for a fraction of what you would spend in the arcade.

1) Most people have no access to an arcade, much less one that features games only released in Japan.

2) There is absolutely no value in "per play" on a console, nor should there ever be.

DY_nasty said:
I haven't played a single ranked game yet... Like I said earlier man, just start up your own lobby. You can go into training mode while you wait :D

btw, I think the page cut me off but you and anyone else on xbl feel free to add me - DY nasTy IV

Sent request again.

DR2K said:
1) Most people have no access to an arcade, much less one that features games only released in Japan.

2) There is absolutely no value in "per play" on a console, nor should there ever be.

1. Not claiming arcades are prevalent in the West. Just that modern audiences have no frame of reference Donny! I dropped $35 on MK3 the first day in arcades. :(

2. There's not and I'm not saying that! I'm saying that for $5 more than what I spent on MK3 in one day you can own the game and play it. FOREVER.

Sorry if that message wasn't clear.

DY_nasty

SolarPowered said:
I'm pretty sure I played someone with an extremely similar name a few days ago. I actually joined their player match because I saw the similar name and thought it was you.:lol
Was I drunk playing with Tscrubaki while one of my friends was talking trash the whole time? Probably was me :lol

DY_nasty said:
Was I drunk playing with Tscrubaki while one of my friends was talking trash the whole time? Probably was me :lol
Yeah, I think so. A lot of the other players also had souther accents.

I'm pretty sure it was you, yeah.:lol

DY_nasty

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, I think so. A lot of the other players also had souther accents.

I'm pretty sure it was you, yeah.:lol
Well since then I've abandoned Tscrubaki because a pretty good Litchi came into the room and proved that Litch is better than Unlimited Tsubaki.

I'm on to Lambda now, new hotness.

I spend way too much time training against the comp though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DY_nasty said:

Added. Just about to cap out my friends list after BB, wish they would remove the friend cap already.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We're streaming SSF4 right now, but in a few minutes we are gonna switch over to BBCS in our stream guys. We are gonna have Zidane on playing Jan from our place. Jan qualified for SBO a couple weeks back so should be some greatness. And of course the wolfman gerber baby always is on point with Hazama.

www.justin.tv/monsters_arcade

ultim8p00 said:
Oh my god maining Noel is a pain in the ass. Normals are complete shit. Playing vs Hakumen is a nightmare. I can't get close at all.

Try playing against Tager. He and Hakumen EAT her C attacks (by far her best attack group).

This is why I've dropped her. She has terrible normals and no range. She's like a bad Makoto.

Someone, tell me, what are her redeeming features?

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
Try playing against Tager. He and Hakumen EAT her C attacks (by far her best attack group).

This is why I've dropped her. She has terrible normals and no range. She's like a bad Makoto.

Huge damage on the right hits.
She's also a yippy bitch
I agree that her normals need some hardcore rebalancing though. It's too hard for her to get those good hits.

_tetsuo_ said:
We're streaming SSF4 right now, but in a few minutes we are gonna switch over to BBCS in our stream guys. We are gonna have Zidane on playing Jan from our place. Jan qualified for SBO a couple weeks back so should be some greatness. And of course the wolfman gerber baby always is on point with Hazama.

www.justin.tv/monsters_arcade
I LOVE watching Jan play. His patience is glorious.

DY_nasty

FlightOfHeaven said:

Her drive is... decent? :lol

I used to be able to catch scrubs with her 7D every once in a while. But I know where you're coming from.

Nose Master

Anony said:
question:
my 360 cannot connect to internet due to no wifi, but i want makoto
is there a way to do this?

can i bring my memory unit with my profile and find another 360 and just sign in and download it?
does this require gold membership?

at the same time, i dont want to sign in to live and have it download stuff onto my tiny MU that is running out of space

Why couldn't you just take your hard drive to another 360...? If you don't have one... which might be the case if you're only using an MU, 1-2gb flash drives are like $5-10, and they work, too. Not 100% they work with DLC, but, I'd assume they do.

PS: Thinking about dropping the $5-6 (I forget) on all unlimited char unlocks. Fuck doing score attack with some of those characters. I've heard that some unlimited versions aren't really worth it, though. If that's the case, I could just buy all the "good" ones individually.

I know she can get excellent damage, so the payoff is there.

But that's all she has. She has no good fundamentals. She needs to get extremely lucky to land those good hits, and if you land one, god help you you better not drop that combo.

And if you are facing anyone that eats projectiles (I'm looking at you, Tager and Hakumen), just surrender, or be prepared to try and win solely through A and B shenanigans.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
I know she can get excellent damage, so the payoff is there.

But that's all she has. She has no good fundamentals. She needs to get extremely lucky to land those good hits, and if you land one, god help you you better not drop that combo.

And if you are facing anyone that eats projectiles (I'm looking at you, Tager and Hakumen), just surrender, or be prepared to try and win solely through A and B shenanigans.
You can sleep easy knowing that Noel has a positive matchup against Rachel.

DY_nasty

Just so everyone knows ahead of time, Makoto's parry makes Taokaka look silly.

Sad_Panda

Ugh, Ranked Matchmaking is utter shit compared to BB CT. The fact that you can't back out when the game matches you with someone is complete bollocks. What good is there to know if the guy has a high incomplete matches rate or a lousy connection if I'm basically forced to fight ? Plus, it takes sometimes up to 5 minutes to actually find a game in Ranked...hope Aksys patches this.

Ah, a question.

Why don't Tager players throw more? All of his throws come out near instantly, and do great damage. They also build meter like crazy, and lead into a free Gadget Finger which puts you at frame advantage.

So why not? Why not throw when being pressured?

DY_nasty

Fugu said:
It's slightly in Lambda's favour.
:O

I've been getting throttled... Maybe I'm getting back into the habit of playing too aggressive again. Its like I forget to play actual defense with Lambda for some reason. I think I try and backdash and counter a lot of things I should be blocking.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, got Nu and Makoto, and really enjoy them both. So money well spent there.

Now, I've got six bucks left in my PSN account. Thinking about either grabbing the Unlimited character bundle (because holy shit Score Attack is hard) or the Jin VA system voice ('cause I haaaaate the normal SV). Can't really decide which I'd want to go for though (if any). Is there any real point to the Unlimited characters besides SUPER CRAZY FUNTIMES in Versus and Network play?

Seraphis Cain said:

Now, I've got six bucks left in my PSN account. Thinking about either grabbing the Unlimited character bundle (because holy shit Score Attack is hard) or the Jin VA system voice ('cause I haaaaate the normal SV). Can't really decide which I'd want to go for though (if any). Is there any real point to the Unlimited characters besides SUPER CRAZY FUNTIMES in Versus and Network play?

Just super crazy fun times.

It's a laugh with friends, especially if you figure out all the neat things they threw in there.

Check out Unlimited Makoto's Ducking Straight, Ducking Upper, Rolling Thunder, and Abare Tosanami Kaisen.

Oh, and her hidden taunts.

DY_nasty

Seraphis Cain said:

Legoin mode I guess.

Its actually pretty fun.

DY_nasty said:
Legoin mode I guess.

Its actually pretty fun.

You can play as Unlimited characters in Legion without paying in the first place.

You do have to defeat them to use them, though, and you don't have the luxury of messing around with them in Training Mode.

DY_nasty

Weird night... got torched by a Rachel and learned all about how I need to take better advantage of 214D with Lambda when playing Hazama. Guard breaking is awesome though. :D

Drop too many combos though. So many things are corner/character dependent... back to the training room.
FlightOfHeaven said:
You can play as Unlimited characters in Legion without paying in the first place.

You do have to defeat them to use them, though, and you don't have the luxury of messing around with them in Training Mode.
Really? Dang, sucks I missed that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FlightOfHeaven said:
Ah, a question.

Why don't Tager players throw more? All of his throws come out near instantly, and do great damage. They also build meter like crazy, and lead into a free Gadget Finger which puts you at frame advantage.

If you just toss out a throw it'll probably get counter hit and you'll eat a lot of damage. There are times to IB and throw but it's not that easy on most of the pressure strings...and only 360B will go into gadget finger for most people, though I've just been doing 5B > 4D lately.

Coeliacus

Yeah throws are not fast in this game, and Tager 360 is slow as well. Jabs will beat them all at neutral, except for 720 of course. The tradeoff of course is combo damage. Guilty Gear had 3 frame throws, but the trade off was that you often needed to spend meter to combo and the damage was nerfed terribly anyway.

Fugu

FlightOfHeaven said:
Ah, a question.

Not fast enough and never a guaranteed escape. Even if you manage to complete the throw, they can still be rejected fairly easily. This is particularly a problem with Tager considering it's not unreasonable to expect that a Tager will at the very least consider throwing you whenever it's an option.

DY_nasty said:
Drop too many combos though.
This is the cause for my week long break from the game a few weeks ago and is the reason that I'm not playing right now. Every time I feel I'm making progress with my execution I drop a whole bunch in a row just to ensure that I feel no sense of improvement from my time spent in training mode whatsoever.

Nose Master

Wow, the story in this is pretty great, actually. :lol The dialogue is almost as bad as WD's old translations, and I'm really enjoying it. It's... "bad", but so refreshingly badgood at the same time. Hazama is amazing.

Beat a level 42 Rachel last night with my level 10 Jin. Got really lucky but it felt good. Few questions for Jin players.

1. What do I do against a Tager who spams the hell out of his sledge move? Fought two last night and I couldn't really do much to counter it.

2. What are his go to easy bnb combos? Right now I'm firing off a lot of 6C > 2D > ice car or 5B > 5C > 6C > ice car. My execution is terribad right now and I've struggled with all the advanced challenges, so I'm lookin for a couple of easy combos to land some damage.

3. Should I save meter for his ex moves or should I save it for his supers? Right now I'm saving it for supers because I've been catching a lot of people with neutral throw > ice arrow.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I had no idea his throws were so terrible.

So all that time I spent learning how to do standing 360s...

INFINITE SADNESS

You just need to know when to use them.

If someone is getting in your face, chances are they're expecting a throw. String them along. Then tag them.

Also F+A, 360A/B is the nicest Zangief style tick throw I've encountered. Still, not as mmuch throwing as I'd like. :(

DY_nasty

Sir Garbageman said:
Beat a level 42 Rachel last night with my level 10 Jin. Got really lucky but it felt good. Few questions for Jin players.

1. What do I do against a Tager who spams the hell out of his sledge move? Fought two last night and I couldn't really do much to counter it.

2. What are his go to easy bnb combos? Right now I'm firing off a lot of 6C > 2D > ice car or 5B > 5C > 6C > ice car. My execution is terribad right now and I've struggled with all the advanced challenges, so I'm lookin for a couple of easy combos to land some damage.

3. Should I save meter for his ex moves or should I save it for his supers? Right now I'm saving it for supers because I've been catching a lot of people with neutral throw > ice arrow.
Most of Jin's combos revolve around dash cancelling. My execution on pad is nowhere near good enough for me to be consistent with him.

Gale is a bitch for a lot of people to deal with too. If people get really predictable, gale-counter hit, standing C, go nuts.

DY_nasty said:
Most of Jin's combos revolve around dash cancelling. My execution on pad is nowhere near good enough for me to be consistent with him.

Gale is a bitch for a lot of people to deal with too. If people get really predictable, gale-counter hit, standing C, go nuts.

Thanks. Im a pad player too and after spending an hour trying to go through some of Jin's challenges it was pretty discouraging. There doesn't seem to be any "intermediate" combos. I'm primarily a SSF4 player so I don't know if I'll end up putting enough time into BB: CS to ever be able to fire off some of the 20 + hit juggle combos consistently.

I've asked this before but who is considered a low execution character outside of Tager? Might be in the mkt for a new main.

Sir Garbageman said:
Thanks. Im a pad player too and after spending an hour trying to go through some of Jin's challenges it was pretty discouraging. There doesn't seem to be any "intermediate" combos. I'm primarily a SSF4 player so I don't know if I'll end up putting enough time into BB: CS to ever be able to fire off some of the 20 + hit juggle combos consistently.

I've asked this before but who is considered a low execution character outside of Tager? Might be in the mkt for a new main.

Hakumen?

ultim8p00

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:

I'd say Hakumen. His combos are more like a series of dashes and really powerful hits. He has a long ass sword to help too.

Back to the Noel bitching, I hope they put out a patch real soon. They need to give her normals more range. She needs a solid way to deal damage. Right now all she has is Drive gimmicks and mind games. That's all. You can't combo into overhead. You can't combo into ANYTHING that can do damage. If you are playing against Noel, all you need to do is block low and mash A when she gets close, and she literally cannot do anything except jump-cancel, which is easy to block or AA if you are Ragna. It's amazing how fucking terrible her fundamentals are. Fix this shit Asssys

Papercuts said:
If you just toss out a throw it'll probably get counter hit and you'll eat a lot of damage. There are times to IB and throw but it's not that easy on most of the pressure strings...and only 360B will go into gadget finger for most people, though I've just been doing 5B > 4D lately.

God damn this numeric keypad poop!

Isn't 5B just B?

It's bad enough this stuff ALWAYS requires I look at a visual aid. Now it's just pointlessly impeding the efficiency of information proliferation. Grrrrrrrrr

FlightOfHeaven said:
I had no idea his throws were so terrible.

So all that time I spent learning how to do standing 360s...

INFINITE SADNESS
I don't think it's a total waste. Standing 360s are pretty godlike against the group of people you play with.

DY_nasty said:
Well since then I've abandoned Tscrubaki because a pretty good Litchi came into the room and proved that Litch is better than Unlimited Tsubaki.

I'm on to Lambda now, new hotness.

I spend way too much time training against the comp though.
Yeah, probably. It seems like people do spend too much time training against limited computers. It's best to open up some player matches everyday instead. Getting your ass whooped by real players is the only way to improve. Hell, I've only been able to learn new combos through online play. I never worry about 20 hit combos or the stuff in the challenge mode(I will have to learn them if I want to be taken really seriously).
Sad_Panda said:
Ugh, Ranked Matchmaking is utter shit compared to BB CT. The fact that you can't back out when the game matches you with someone is complete bollocks. What good is there to know if the guy has a high incomplete matches rate or a lousy connection if I'm basically forced to fight ? Plus, it takes sometimes up to 5 minutes to actually find a game in Ranked...hope Aksys patches this.
This...SO MUCH!

I'm getting sick and tired of being paired up with laggers and quitters when I could have had the option to leave in the previous game. I can't be the only guy who keeps running into people who start to lag as soon as they see that they can't win the match.
God damn this numeric keypad poop!

Isn't 5B just B?

It's bad enough this stuff ALWAYS requires I look at a visual aid. Now it's just pointlessly impeding the efficiency of information proliferation. Grrrrrrrrr
It's actually a nice way to organize things once you get it. I only came to understand it a few weeks ago and it's actually proven itself pretty useful. It's not that hard to think up at all, and it helps me understand the combos even if someone is describing them while playing on another system.

This place would be way more chaotic if PS3 users had to describe 7B as 7triangle.

It would get confusing way too fast. This new system is universal.

SolarPowered said:
It's actually a nice way to organize things once you get it. I only came to understand it a few weeks ago and it's actually proven itself pretty useful. It's not that hard to think up at all, and it helps me understand the combos even if someone is describing them while playing on another system.

This place would be way more chaotic if PS3 users had to describe 7B as 7triangle.

It would get confusing way too fast. This new system is universal.

Nononononononononononononononononononononononononono! </Shia>

I just mean the numeric keypad sh*t instead of d, df, f for instance. ALWAYS use arcade button naming, not retarded console monkey poop.

Which brings us back to Shia Lebuof. :(

sonicspear64 said:
But the numerical system did come from arcades....

WRONG!

I have to age check you here.

Numeric directional bullshit didn't start until around the time Tekken hit. Before then it was directional u/d/b/f or crappy ASCII art joysticks.

LegatoB

WRONG!

I have to age check you here.

Numeric directional bullshit didn't start until around the time Tekken hit. Before then it was directional u/d/b/f or crappy ASCII art joysticks.
I thought it came around the time we all started copying off Japanese sites for Guilty Gear, etc. Tekken notation is its own fucking bizarre beast (direction labels and numbered buttons what). Now man up and memorize a couple of numbers.

LegatoB said:
I thought it came around the time we all started copying off Japanese sites for Guilty Gear, etc.
Yeah this is what I meant. We always have this "discussion" in every BB and [insert fighting game with air dashes and chain combos here] thread. I personally like the old way, but I can tolerate the numpad notation when people use it.

Top Bottom