• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Take Out Bandit said:
This guy loves to troll / counterpick. And wow that's a fabulous Tager color. *_*
Its not even that! I'm just mad because I'm never allowed to take breaks from this game. Every time I spend more than 72 hours away from it, I turn into trash and am forced to spend the next day in training mode or in online scrub status.

I finally got the point where I can play aggressive with Lambda (Goryus am king) but I'm way too much of a rhythm player.

Basically, I'm tight.

DY_nasty

Sorry, I can't take it. I refuse to embarrass myself any further :lol

5 min to take a shit and get the weak sauce out of my system and I'll put another lobby up.

Eh, I'm getting raped by superior Tager players. Just picking randoms now as I'm super frustrated. Sorry for all the retard Ragnas.

I'd love for a fighting game where you can set the random select options, so for instance if I never want to see a Ragna on my screen in random select when I use it; uncheck the box next to his name in the options. Bam! Now Random Select would skip over him. :lol

Seriously though, how is my connection for you guys?

DY_nasty

Eh, I'm getting raped by superior Tager players. Just picking randoms now as I'm super frustrated. Sorry for all the retard Ragnas.

I'd love for a fighting game where you can set the random select options, so for instance if I never want to see a Ragna on my screen in random select when I use it; uncheck the box next to his name in the options. Bam! Now Random Select would skip over him. :lol

Seriously though, how is my connection for you guys?
Papercuts has a pretty damned good Tager. You said you wanted to see better Tager players :D

Connection is fine for me.

God damn I'm f*ckin' lousy at this game.

I'm just no good at fast paced 2D fighters, or most fast paced fighting game; and being consistently stymied by opponents, but then watching Papercuts succeed with some of the same damned jump ins I attempt just exacerbates the issue. I don't f*ckin' get it.

Frame data and all that shit makes no sense to me, and the DL Tager guide doesn't help my sorry ass any.

Really just considering throwing in the towel and selling it. I'll just wait for SF3:3S Online (which I'm no good at either, but at least it's not the high level rape I receive here) and hopefully VF5:FS (was okay at VF4E).

DY_nasty said:
Papercuts has a pretty damned good Tager. You said you wanted to see better Tager players :D

Yeah, he's in the same boat as Xel Viper. Great Tager player who manages to control the game with magnetism. Something I can't for the life of me master.

Time for bed. Been playing for about two hours and have uhhh. . . maybe five total victories to show for it? F*ck this.

DY_nasty

Good games, I'm free, etc :lol
God damn I'm f*ckin' lousy at this game.

I'm just no good at fast paced 2D fighters, or most fast paced fighting game; and being consistently stymied by opponents, but then watching Papercuts succeed with some of the same damned jump ins I attempt just exacerbates the issue. I don't f*ckin' get it.

Frame data and all that shit makes no sense to me, and the DL Tager guide doesn't help my sorry ass any.

Really just considering throwing in the towel and selling it. I'll just wait for SF3:3S Online (which I'm no good at either, but at least it's not the high level rape I receive here) and hopefully VF5:FS (was okay at VF4E).
Don't be tight about it. Honestly, most of your issues aren't that big. They just seem big because they lead to huge punishes. Mainly, defense defense defense. All that health with Tager means nothing if you can't block consistently. Also, with Tager you HAVE to know how to buffer 360s through blocks, not just throw them out there on the first look.

El Sloth

Banned
Meanwhile I'm still getting my ass kicked as I don't know what Tager's fastest pokes are / best openings are. MASH A IS NOT THE ANSWER! :lol :lol :lol

It is for me dammit! :lol

Seriously, there is nothing else I can do to interrupt my friends combos. Although I rarely, if ever, use it for openings. If I'm playing someone I know is aggressive I use back D, defensive I use forward D. Of course I'm a scrub and so are my friends, so I can't really say if those would be any good in higher level play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
sca2511 said:
Hey Seks, this is a pretty good video for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMyibf-1CE

WTF. You're telling me to spam 4D4D4D4D->66->4CCCCCCCC/Cfinsher over and over again?

Except if I can get an opponent in the air, then I do that "warp portal" thing to where they slowly fall (like Robo-Ky's dust trap thing) and then 4CCCCCCCC them?

WTF. Now I know why Take Out Bandit hates Lambada. :lol

If it's a character you're using it should be obvious.

Well, yeah. But it would be nice to know situations and stuff like that and preference toward certain moves. Trying to replicate moves for me is bad. I have to play actual matches and not against a dumb-dummy to learn. And the AI in training, while good for learning to block and payback, isn't good for "this situation is bad, you want to do... blah blah blah"

*shrug* That and I can't call moves from the animations. "Oh, that flashy-sword attack."

I should play more, but yeah: Training mode can't hold my attention long. It isn't the same as an actual match, so it isn't high on "holding my attention and learning." :/

DY_nasty

TheSeks said:
WTF. You're telling me to spam 4D4D4D4D->66->4CCCCCCCC/Cfinsher over and over again?

Except if I can get an opponent in the air, then I do that "warp portal" thing to where they slowly fall (like Robo-Ky's dust trap thing) and then 4CCCCCCCC them?

He's just mad that he can't consistently 720 me out of it like Papercuts can :lol

Seriously, Act Parser or whatever its called isn't that great of a move - and you only get hit by it if you can't block. Its so telegraphed that its almost not even worth using (especially when you're a rushdown lambda like me lulz).

I get thrown out of it more times than I actually connect with the thing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
"dude you serious i was kicking your ass good i see tager is still as overpowered as ever with the grab moves even is this blazblue. No tager impress me but i give you the benefit of having skill on use your move on the right moment"

Wow, lambda rage mail. :lol

GGs earlier, also!

TheSeks

Speaking of throws, I kept whiffing my throws on sca's Hakumen blocking. So annoying. Because I'm AAAB->AB!

Game: "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STARFOX Noel/Bang/Lambada/Ragna/Jin!"
(Hakumen makes me eat it)

DY_nasty

You know whats sad? My zoning with Jin is 10x better than it is with Lambda. Execution is just all-around better...

If I actually sat down one day and tried to learn how to dash cancel like a man, I might be a beast. But NOPE - I think I'll just keep on dropping combos with Lambda derp

You guys need to sit down for a second and take a breath. Almost no one gets good at the game overnight. Planning to quit because of a bad night or because you seem to be faltering means you'll have the same attitude in any other fighting game you play once you run into someone better than you.:lol

Fake edit:
I would have joined, but I was playing a few mirror matches and I wasn't aware that rooms were even up by the time I was getting sleepy. Just try not to burn yourselves out guys. Rome wasn't built in a day.
DY_nasty said:
You know whats sad? My zoning with Jin is 10x better than it is with Lambda. Execution is just all-around better...

If I actually sat down one day and tried to learn how to dash cancel like a man, I might be a beast. But NOPE - I think I'll just keep on dropping combos with Lambda derp
Do you practice the dash cancels with specific combos you never drop? I remember stepping into tutorial mode and getting pissed off that I couldn't do dash cancels with Ragna. Then as a few days pass I notice that I'm perfectly executing dash combos right after a double palm thrust with bang on the ground. Great air combos were easy to get after practicing them on the ground.

DY_nasty said:
Good games, I'm free, etc :lol

Don't be tight about it. Honestly, most of your issues aren't that big. They just seem big because they lead to huge punishes. Mainly, defense defense defense. All that health with Tager means nothing if you can't block consistently. Also, with Tager you HAVE to know how to buffer 360s through blocks, not just throw them out there on the first look.

I'm not a good defensive player. Combine that with my inability to effectively retaliate against players who inevitably rush in to pummel me, with my only known means of retaliation being MASH AAAAAAAAAA and it ends up as an unpleasant experience.

It would probably be easier if I could tolerate any of the other characters in the game and have a second to use instead of Pick Tager, Watch Tager get raped. Although the answer to that is, say Pick Taokaka, Watch Taokaka get raped assuming the other player is consistently that much of a better player than myself.

El Sloth said:
It is for me dammit! :lol

Seriously, there is nothing else I can do to interrupt my friends combos. Although I rarely, if ever, use it for openings. If I'm playing someone I know is aggressive I use back D, defensive I use forward D. Of course I'm a scrub and so are my friends, so I can't really say if those would be any good in higher level play.

Yeah, going online is a rapefest. My mistake is playing a bunch of ranked matches, so I've got a stupid number next to my name and people boot me out of rooms because of it. TRUST ME GUYS, NOT REALLY THAT GOOD. :lol

TheSeks said:

I've always been weak against projectile spam. Dating back to SF2, which is why I loved SF3. Parry = no free projectile spam lunch. In BB hey PROJECTILES FORWARD, BACK, UNDER YOU, AND IN YOUR URETHRA ZOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG! :p

Well, yeah. But it would be nice to know situations and stuff like that and preference toward certain moves. Trying to replicate moves for me is bad. I have to play actual matches and not against a dumb-dummy to learn. And the AI in training, while good for learning to block and payback, isn't good for "this situation is bad, you want to do... blah blah blah"

*shrug* That and I can't call moves from the animations. "Oh, that flashy-sword attack."

I should play more, but yeah: Training mode can't hold my attention long. It isn't the same as an actual match, so it isn't high on "holding my attention and learning." :/

Come on now, I know I'm a scrub; but this takes basic observation. Watching a match should tell you everything you need to know why a move is used.

Papercuts used this move because I jumped in and he knew the hit priority was in his favor.

That Hazama player used his juggle moves because he noticed I'm weak against escaping corner traps and juggles.

As for dissecting and reconstructing the combos, I go into training mode and do everything until I see the move that came out, make note, then apply it. This isn't like Street Fighter where I can recognize a Roundhouse versus a Short kick on sight. I need to go do some studying. :p

SolarPowered said:
You guys need to sit down for a second and take a breath. Almost no one gets good at the game overnight. Planning to quit because of a bad night or because you seem to be faltering means you'll have the same attitude in any other fighting game you play once you run into someone better than you.:lol

No man, there are different levels and styles of fighting games.

A better way of putting it would be, I'm okay at regular mathematics; but can't do sh*t in Calculus. BlazBlue is Calculus.

The reason I enjoyed SF3 is because it was fun like SF2, but parrying alleviated all the troubles I had with fireball traps.

WIth VIrtua Fighter the game is fun because of it's play style, ring outs (spatial awareness of your ring and surroundings), and no crazy juggle combos in most cases.

With BB the game's core mechanics combined with the sub systems introduced with each character are extremely unique and require a lot of patience and training. So in SF3 if I realize my Hugo was no good against another player, I could swtich over to Necro and the only difference is my rudimentary move set. Mastering one character in BB is a challenge, learning a second character is like pursuing your masters.

Although my problem is completely unique to me as I can't stand most of the character designs in this game. I know, crazy complaint; but if I can't stand looking at a character I'm not going to use it. Which is why I'm hoping Valkenhayn isn't a complete oddball character with Hakumen / Tager style limits on his move set. Just give me a sedate looking character with a robust, but relatively fast, move set and I'm good to go.

I'm not a huge fan of fighting games where I can be completely incapacitated during a juggle and just watch my character get bounced around in the air like a whiffle ball. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it in BB there are only two choices:

- Barrier Burst
- Tech out of it

Problem for me is BB is limited, and when I'm being juggled; unless I'm doing it wrong, better players can just catch me again on the way down if I Tech out and continue the combo rape party.

I've never been a fan of fighting games where there's little respite for players who are in the process of being raped, I mean attacked and juggled nonstop. Fun for the aggressor, no fun for the defender.

I don't have the stomach for that.

DY_nasty

SolarPowered said:
Do you practice the dash cancels with specific combos you never drop? I remember stepping into tutorial mode and getting pissed off that I couldn't do dash cancels with Ragna. Then as a few days pass I notice that I'm perfectly executing dash combos right after a double palm thrust with bang on the ground. Great air combos were easy to get after practicing them on the ground.
I'm either going to give Jin another shot (I don't want to... his combos feel so fucking unnatural) or give Tao a run for a while.

And Take Out, there is a lot more to it than just 'teching out'. Tager players for example want you to attempt to tech out at many points.

Also, how you tech is a big thing too. Sometimes its the main reason you're either escaping from certain death or putting yourself right in the jaws of defeat.

The thing with BB is that its not just guess work. Most of it is reacting. Its why a lot of times you'll hear me say "I'm not even mad about that particular ass whooping I just got handed", its because after a while you're able to see exactly where you messed up and why you did. Most of my issues come from trying to make the big play instead of the safe one. Instead of trying to backdash everything with Lambda or jumping back to block, I need to just instant block shit, hit 2B and roll into my BnB.

Defensive issues will get you absolutely destroyed in CS

Hazama's main BnB? BLOCK LOW, that shit is coming. Bang's got one of the slowest overheads in the game - look for it. Tager's 720 will fuck you, don't sit there in front of him. D Spam from Lambda? lulz, Instant block her shit, gain meter, then laugh as her chin implodes 40 seconds into the round.

Papercuts

I'm not a good defensive player. Combine that with my inability to effectively retaliate against players who inevitably rush in to pummel me, with my only known means of retaliation being MASH AAAAAAAAAA and it ends up as an unpleasant experience.

It would probably be easier if I could tolerate any of the other characters in the game and have a second to use instead of Pick Tager, Watch Tager get raped. Although the answer to that is, say Pick Taokaka, Watch Taokaka get raped assuming the other player is consistently that much of a better player than myself.

This is the main thing to focus on, defense is a vital aspect of the game that also helps to remedy not being juggled constantly. Tager needs to play really defensively since he has a hitbox the size of the moon, also! It's one of the hardest things to pick up with him, knowing when you can IB 360 to get out, since tager's reversals suck. And 5AAAAAA with him is just asking for a counterhit most of the time.

I've always been weak against projectile spam. Dating back to SF2, which is why I loved SF3. Parry = no free projectile spam lunch. In BB hey PROJECTILES FORWARD, BACK, UNDER YOU, AND IN YOUR URETHRA ZOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG! :p

Another issue tager has is horrible mobility, so he does get extremely prone to zoning. Just try to keep in mind that the recovery time let's you move in a lot, even if it's just walking. If you don't space sledge right to get in, just walk lambda back into the corner. She can't zone forever, and then you just try to magnetize her and keep her corner locked. Most other zoners aren't that big of an issue, Jin's stuff can all be jumped over easily, his air swords can usually be sledged, ect. Hazama is annoying as hell and I still suck against him, though.

Just realize they always have a crutch. Lambda goes down pretty quickly, and if you get in it's hard for her to escape tager unless they backdash, in which case you have some moves to catch it, mainly spark. Getting sparked out of a backdash pulls them right back into your magnetism traps and it's probably pretty demoralizing for them and will make them reconsider trying it again.

Come on now, I know I'm a scrub; but this takes basic observation. Watching a match should tell you everything you need to know why a move is used.

Papercuts used this move because I jumped in and he knew the hit priority was in his favor.

That Hazama player used his juggle moves because he noticed I'm weak against escaping corner traps and juggles.

As for dissecting and reconstructing the combos, I go into training mode and do everything until I see the move that came out, make note, then apply it. This isn't like Street Fighter where I can recognize a Roundhouse versus a Short kick on sight. I need to go do some studying. :p

If you're talking about our tager mirror, that's the matchup I play all the time in ranked so I wouldn't get too messed up by that. It's a really haphazard screwy fight where you can't really pressure the other tager at all, if you magnetize them they can just backdash 360B any time you do an attack that sucks them forward, IB 360/720 if you try blockstrings, 2C/AC if they jump at you.

With BB the game's core mechanics combined with the sub systems introduced with each character are extremely unique and require a lot of patience and training. So in SF3 if I realize my Hugo was no good against another player, I could swtich over to Necro and the only difference is my rudimentary move set. Mastering one character in BB is a challenge, learning a second character is like pursuing your masters.

Although my problem is completely unique to me as I can't stand most of the character designs in this game. I know, crazy complaint; but if I can't stand looking at a character I'm not going to use it. Which is why I'm hoping Valkenhayn isn't a complete oddball character with Hakumen / Tager style limits on his move set. Just give me a sedate looking character with a robust, but relatively fast, move set and I'm good to go.

I do agree with this, it's hard to just jump to another character and play them, and is why I still don't have a sub. In CT I just got conditioned to every matchup being bad which is a weirdly effective way to help in CS when nearly all the mathups got better for him, even if they still aren't that good.

If it helps at all, this is one of the first fights I have uploaded. All of my early videos are when I was learning Tager, and I played horribly. Full screen 360s, 2D all the time, etc...I can't believe I used to play like this, but everyone good you fight eventually started somewhere like this. It just takes a lot of time to get better.

I'm not a huge fan of fighting games where I can be completely incapacitated during a juggle and just watch my character get bounced around in the air like a whiffle ball. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it in BB there are only two choices:

- Barrier Burst
- Tech out of it

Problem for me is BB is limited, and when I'm being juggled; unless I'm doing it wrong, better players can just catch me again on the way down if I Tech out and continue the combo rape party.

I've never been a fan of fighting games where there's little respite for players who are in the process of being raped, I mean attacked and juggled nonstop. Fun for the aggressor, no fun for the defender.

I don't have the stomach for that.

This is more matchup specific than anything else, but there are a lot of tech traps in the game. If you tech out and are mashing a reversal out it's likely going to lead back in, a good thing to learn is just tech and block to avoid this. But at the same time, Tager is the king of tech traps so you can do whatever they're doing to you ten fold if you get in their head.

DY_nasty

Honestly, I really don't think Tager fits your playstyle that much anyways.

I don't like Tao's design that much at all, but I'm really thinking that she matches my style more than anyone else on the roster at the moment. It never hurts to switch things up every once in a while and try someone new.

Thanks for the pointers PaperCuts.

The whole problem I have with Tech'ing is I don't know when it's going to come out. So basically when I'm being juggled I'm just mashing A until it works, then it's over mashing which leads to them re-juggling. >_<;

One thing I enjoy about getting my teeth pummeled by you guys is I don't get booted for sucking.

Although in some cases I suspect it's butthurt from certain hosts. NO FAIR TAGER DD'd MEEEEE! :|

If you don't want the big scary DD (when I can land it) don't get in my damn face! :lol

TheSeks

Take Out said:
ve always been weak against projectile spam. Dating back to SF2, which is why I loved SF3.

Weirdly, I've never had issues with projectile spam in SF2 UNTIL SF4 came out. Holy cripse, there is a bunch of projectile characters in SF4. Makes playing Cody (who is a "zoner" like Lambada) FUCKING HARD.

Zonk Knuckles through a projectile? SHORYUKEN, EAT THAT ONE!
Zonk Knuckle through the first part of an EX? EAT THE SECOND PROJECTILE OF THAT EX.

ARGH.

Yeah, I need to sit down and learn Lambada's drives.

DY_nasty

TheSeks said:
Weirdly, I've never had issues with projectile spam in SF2 UNTIL SF4 came out. Holy cripse, there is a bunch of projectile characters in SF4. Makes playing Cody (who is a "zoner" like Lambada) FUCKING HARD.

Zonk Knuckles through a projectile? SHORYUKEN, EAT THAT ONE!
Zonk Knuckle through the first part of an EX? EAT THE SECOND PROJECTILE OF THAT EX.

ARGH.

Yeah, I need to sit down and learn Lambada's drives.
Lambda can be figured out in 2 hours. She's cake to use. It is hard to win against good comp with her though... Still, a good dominating win with her feels soooo good.

TheSeks said:

I will not post what I'm thinking...

DY_nasty

:lol

I wish there was a Juri-equivalent in BBCT. The only time I was ever good enough for a tourney was when I was playing SSF4 with her. I think I maybe could've been tourney level in CT with Noel, but those days look done.

Loel is B
ottomless pit
-tier at best now.

Papercuts

Projectile spam in SSFIV was a lot harder for me to deal with than in here. Then again I played Hakan so yeah. ;_;

TheSeks

Aru said:
Is there a thread for CS 2 ? I can't find it by searching.

Counter Strike 2?

Continuum Shift 2? WTF if that's the case.

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
:lol My god, you guys should be grateful I dont play on 360 :lol
Pssh.

My rushdown lambda torches everyone
but Tager

Why the fuck doesn't Lambda build meter like Hazama?

Where are you guys finding the images like this?

h7vBz.png
nxurfs.png

Fugu

Just 'cause, I decided to survey what opponents I'd get in ranked using the quick match feature, no filters.

Ragna - 5
Jin - 6
Litchi - 2
Haku-men - 5
Noel - 3
Mu - 1
Tager - 3
Arakune - 1
Tsubaki - 1
Rachel - 5
Hazama - 3
Makoto - 1
Carl - 1
Bang - 3
Lambda - 1

4 ping - 9
3 ping - 7
2 ping - 10
1 ping - 9
0 ping - 6

Win - 36
Loss - 5

ASSER FINISH - 2

What have I learned? Taokaka is really unpopular, and there are a lot more level 1 players than I ever could have realized.

Fugu said:
What have I learned? Taokaka is really unpopular, and there are a lot more level 1 players than I ever could have realized.

Nice, that means more fresh blood coming to the game. I hope. :D

Getting raped online, but trying to be aware of moves and actions. Ugh!

PAYING ATTENTION IS HARD! :p

QisTopTier said:
:lol My god, you guys should be grateful I dont play on 360 :lol
Maybe for other people. I wish I could take a crack at PS3 BB players.

Edit:
You've got to take advantage of the weapons at your disposal TTOB.

1. 5B and 5D are fantastic moves in the air. If you need to move forward you are going to need to learn how to move through the air somewhat safely.

2. You have to practice 360s and 720s from a blocking position. This is absolutely crucial. It's really easy to pull off from that position and it's also easy to get one standing if you are in the process of recovering from a move. I use the same strategy with Bang's distortion if necessary.

3. You need to seriously fortify your defense. A Tager with weak defense is even more ridiculous than a Lambda that can't zone. You need to fix that in training mode. Put the CPU to 100 in training mode or find someone to put you through the grinder on player matches.

4. Don't be afraid to use basic strategy with magnetism. Keep people close to you once they're locked. Magnetism is a key element for a Tager player.

Top Bottom