• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DY_nasty said:
Meh, Lambda zoning is overrated.

So overrated you can make TTOB ragequit. :p

Also did Noel's Gag ending today. WTF. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TheSeks said:
So overrated you can make TTOB ragequit. :p

Also did Noel's Gag ending today. WTF. :lol
:lol

I didn't make TTOB ragequit

and I didn't zone him either. Papercuts can tell you himself, I simply refuse to properly zone with Lambda. lol

Coeliacus

DY_nasty said:
Meh, Lambda zoning is overrated.
psyduck.gif

SolarPowered said:
Edit:
You've got to take advantage of the weapons at your disposal TTOB.

Working on it!

1. 5B and 5D are fantastic moves in the air. If you need to move forward you are going to need to learn how to move through the air somewhat safely.

I'm trying to use B more, didn't know about D in air. Right now since I'm trying to find my feet I'm avoiding a lot of heavier attacks that come out slow, definitely puts me at a disadvantage.

2. You have to practice 360s and 720s from a blocking position. This is absolutely crucial. It's really easy to pull off from that position and it's also easy to get one standing if you are in the process of recovering from a move. I use the same strategy with Bang's distortion if necessary.

How do you mean from block? Do you mean some kind of cancel out of block with it, or waiting until the attacker finishes the combo then throwing? The problem I'm having now is when an enemy finishes an attack sequence when I'm blocking, if I try to come out with a 360 it whiffs. So I don't use it as often.

One thing I consistently hate about modern fighters is missed throw animations (even for normals, come on!) and the toning down of instant throws. Today it feels like throws are so nerfed and everybody has thalidomide baby arms. :|

3. You need to seriously fortify your defense. A Tager with weak defense is even more ridiculous than a Lambda that can't zone. You need to fix that in training mode. Put the CPU to 100 in training mode or find someone to put you through the grinder on player matches.

You'll note I was trying to block more, use barrier block, and also recover and go into block tonight.

Problem I'm running into is I don't know how to retaliate best after I've managed to block a face full of f*ck. As I mentioned above my throws feel unreliable. Note also the amount of invisible people I hug during a match.

4. Don't be afraid to use basic strategy with magnetism. Keep people close to you once they're locked. Magnetism is a key element for a Tager player.

I'm aware of it, but seeing as how I'm still learning my ABC's it's tought to pull stuff off reliably under pressure. Game moves too god damned fast. :lol

A lot of the wacky combos I managed to get tonight with magnetism were shenanigans. I swear there's some input prediction going on here because I wasn't inputting command for air grab as a finisher and it was coming out.

Not that I'm complaining; but like I said - game speed is crazy and I'm still getting my feet under me. :X

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely trying to incorporate everything you and Papercuts are providing, so I should be intermediate level in another six months. :lol

I was reading DL thread and there's mention of some interrupt move with 6+A+B during block, is this useful and is this the correct input for Tager? My wifi wasn't working when we were playing so I couldn't check. I think my router may be dying. :(

DY_nasty said:
:lol

I didn't make TTOB ragequit

I'm too stupid to ragequit, which makes me a great fighting game player! And by great, I mean likely to repeatedly be punched in the face and learn very little in the process.

Getting your ass kicked is part of playing fighting games unfortunately. Took about a year of practice at pizza shops before I got my revenge in the Knoebel's Grove arcade back when SF2 came out. Once I beat those guys, new challengers appeared and I had to learn to deal with them. At least this only cost me $39.99 once, as opposed to god knows how much money at pizza shops, video stores, and local arcades.

What Strength!! But Don't Forget there are many guys like you all over the world

and I didn't zone him either. Papercuts can tell you himself, I simply refuse to properly zone with Lambda. lol

Well at least we both agree to play our mains like idiots. :lol

DY_nasty

Papercuts said:
He likes to instead spend his time act pulsaring right into a 720, haha. :p
Only because Lambda's head fits so perfectly into Tager's palm

The Take Out Bandit said:
Working on it!
Oh, I forgot to mention something last night. You are too active at this point. If you've got to work defense for 60 seconds instead of 40 seconds you don't have to worry. This is the kind of fighter that promotes smart thinking, not heavy chip damage. It's part of Tager's nature to punish someone heavily after blocking everything thrown at him. You could be more patient instead of breaking under pressure.

All of the points I touched on are actually practiced in this video. You'll see heavy defense on the part of multiple characters. You'll see people using magnetism to their advantage and you'll see how valuable 5D is in the air. I would recommend that you see the entire thing, but you can start watching after the 20 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9azfjDKMI&feature=PlayList&p=7B4952600B467818&index=16

QisTopTier said:
Oh awesome where can I see this at please don't direct me to a 5 second video

it's a secret to future Valkenhayn players. I'll tell you what they are... It's called: AWESOME MOVE SETS!!!!

PS: don't touch him

DY_nasty

WickedLaharl said:
well i continue to be XBL punching bag :lol

by some crazy ass miracle i've managed ti get lvl 20.

guess everyone has to win sometime, right?
Meh, I'm pretty low level too. I don't take too much stock in ratings or rankings anymore after SSF4. I was a top 50 US Juri player for a while... but that shit just becomes frustrating and pointless after a while. Its not a measure of anything at all really.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I finally started playing this after ignoring it for so long. Damn Starcraft 2.

There's so much dialogue in story mode that I didn't feel like getting 100%, so I just decided I do enough to unlock Mu. Didn't really like her playstyle so much even though I main Lambda.

As far as Lambda goes, the changes to her really didn't phase me that much. Just one or two combos I had to change, and I'm liking her new charge move, whatever it's called.

I also downloaded Makoto, and I'm loving her. I think I'm definitely going to make her my new second. I can't really get the hang of her parry, but I love her balance of offense and defense and just the way she moves and operates.

ZealousD said:
So I finally started playing this after ignoring it for so long. Damn Starcraft 2.

There's so much dialogue in story mode that I didn't feel like getting 100%, so I just decided I do enough to unlock Mu. Didn't really like her playstyle so much even though I main Lambda.

As far as Lambda goes, the changes to her really didn't phase me that much. Just one or two combos I had to change, and I'm liking her new charge move, whatever it's called.

I also downloaded Makoto, and I'm loving her. I think I'm definitely going to make her my new second. I can't really get the hang of her parry, but I love her balance of offense and defense and just the way she moves and operates.

Mu and Lambda are nothing alike. Lambda plays you by locking you down in close-mid range with the emphasis in mid range. Mu plays you by traps in mid-long range in emphasis in long range. They've done a great job at keeping the characters different. It's to the point where you can't really play another character even if you're really good with one char.

Also, don't focus TOO much on Makoto's parry. You don't really NEED it to play her well but it's really good if someone is playing predictably. Or to parry cancel -- which you don't really need it either.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Prototype-03 said:
Also, don't focus TOO much on Makoto's parry. You don't really NEED it to play her well but it's really good if someone is playing predictably. Or to parry cancel -- which you don't really need it either.

Yeah I'm just bad with timing parries in general. I was terrible at it in SF3 too, doesn't help that hers requires an extra input as well.

ZealousD said:
Yeah I'm just bad with timing parries in general. I was terrible at it in SF3 too, doesn't help that hers requires an extra input as well.

Yeah, you don't really need it. Besides, 3C beats everything anyway.

El Sloth said:
This is why calling a character 'low-tier' is dumb. In the right hands anyone can be top-tier.
you mean anyone can look good when fighting a significantly lesser-skilled opponent
tiers very much have merit

DY_nasty

El Sloth said:
This is why calling a character 'low-tier' is dumb. In the right hands anyone can be top-tier.
Tscrubaki is still Tscrubaki.

In the right hands, anyone can make Ragna look like trash.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DY_nasty said:
Goryus is the only Lambda I can watch. Dude is a beast.

NO HE ZONES THATS BORRING. and uhhh Japanese ones are better, but yeah he's good :D

God damn that was the worst freaking makoto ever

El Sloth said:

Um, no... Not with Tsubaki... She has some HORRIBLE matchups. Obviously if you're higher skilled, you'll beat a lower skill level, but it's pretty bad when Tsubaki loses when people are just jabbing.

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
NO HE ZONES THATS BORRING. and uhhh Japanese ones are better, but yeah he's good :D

God damn that was the worst freaking makoto ever
Most of the zoning that Lambda lovers emphasize is based on running away and keeping a half screen cushion at all times(Zoning - huzzah!). I'm okay with that, but at the same time I think many Lambda users cheat themselves out a good game outside of just zoning. Goryus is one of the few players who actually knows how and when to play aggressive. Zoning is great with her, yeah, but it doesn't have just to be her main tool - Lambda's a more diverse character than that and it sucks that most people who pick her think that she's only effective from the other side of the screen.

Most of the Japanese players... not my thing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DY_nasty said:
Most of the zoning that Lambda lovers emphasize is based on running away and keeping a half screen cushion at all times. I'm okay with that, but at the same time I think many Lambda users cheat themselves out a good game outside of just zoning. Goryus is one of the few players who actually knows how and when to play aggressive. Zoning is great with her, yeah, but it doesn't have just to be her main tool - Lambda's a more diverse character than that and it sucks that most people who pick her think that she's only effective from the other side of the screen.

Most of the Japanese players... not my thing.

Notice how they win .... yeah :D

El Sloth

Banned
_dementia said:
you mean anyone can look good when fighting a significantly lesser-skilled opponent
tiers very much have merit

Until someone like Gamerbee beats Justin Wong with a previously considered low tier character. And then there's that Dan player who was beasting fools online at SBO.

Maybe those are bad examples, but what I'm trying to say is that I think the player's personal skill is much more important than a characters perceived shortcomings.

El Sloth said:
Until someone like Gamerbee beats Justin Wong with a previously considered low tier character. And then there's that Dan player who was beasting fools online at SBO.

Maybe those are bad examples, but what I'm trying to say is that I think the player's personal skill is much more important than a characters perceived shortcomings.

It's definitely a predisposition to masochism that helps. I suspect the victory may come form tier worshipers underestimating your character and thusly getting trounced for underestimating your commitment to getting your face punched in. :D

DY_nasty

QisTopTier said:
Notice how they win .... yeah :D
Wins are wins, yeah

But its really no fun for me that way. I won way more matches with Tscrubaki actually... Its just that there's only one way to play her 'right'. I'm just gonna keep beating my head against this wall until I get my rhythm with back. I used to be a lot better with Nu back in the good old Nothing is more satisfying than jumping in against a Tager then catching them with a 4B lol(i) special.

Coeliacus

DY_nasty said:
Wins are wins, yeah

But its really no fun for me that way. I won way more matches with Tscrubaki actually... Its just that there's only one way to play her 'right'. I'm just gonna keep beating my head against this wall until I get my rhythm with back. I used to be a lot better with Nu back in the good old Nothing is more satisfying than jumping in against a Tager then catching them with a 4B lol(i) special.
The tscrubaki thing is getting kinda old dude. There is no need to get so defensive over not liking a low tier character. Also stop making excuses for the way you play the game when people are just trying to give you advice.

SolarPowered said:
Oh, I forgot to mention something last night. You are too active at this point. If you've got to work defense for 60 seconds instead of 40 seconds you don't have to worry. This is the kind of fighter that promotes smart thinking, not heavy chip damage. It's part of Tager's nature to punish someone heavily after blocking everything thrown at him. You could be more patient instead of breaking under pressure.

All of the points I touched on are actually practiced in this video. You'll see heavy defense on the part of multiple characters. You'll see people using magnetism to their advantage and you'll see how valuable 5D is in the air. I would recommend that you see the entire thing, but you can start watching after the 20 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9azfjDKMI&feature=PlayList&p=7B4952600B467818&index=16

Thanks.

Watched GMMA_Jan's Tager matches. The one where he pulls out the victory with the sliver of health was AMAZING.

Also noted two useful combos.

However there's a lot here I'll need to pick up from just playing more. He seems to know when to apply the moves I've read / been told are good, whereas I don't know when to apply them without getting punished. It's a simple thing, but it's there.

Also wasn't noticing a lot of 360 out of block in there.

Thanks again. Maybe I'll be able to get in some matches tomorrow. Plans tonight and yesterday pulled a longer shift at work so I was spent when I got home. >_<;

So I decided to pick up Ragna until Valkenhayn gets released. Holy crap it makes a huge difference. One night of mediocre Ragna and I already feel like I'm doing better than Tsubaki. Bigger hitbox, higher priority... Even my broken combos do more damage than the 0 level combos and sometimes even more than one charge combos.

The only thing I really miss is her 2C... That move was gdlk

This is what it feels to have a top tier again :lol

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
So I decided to pick up Ragna until Valkenhayn gets released. Holy crap it makes a huge difference. One night of mediocre Ragna and I already feel like I'm doing better than Tsubaki. Bigger hitbox, higher priority... Even my broken combos do more damage than the 0 level combos and sometimes even more than one charge combos.

The only thing I really miss is her 2C... That move was gdlk

This is what it feels to have a top tier again :lol
CT Litchi vs. CS feels like this sometimes. In CT I had to work my ass off to do 3k; in CS I can do 3k off of a broken projectile combo.

El Sloth said:

The people that craft the tiers understand the bold. The tiers simply try and tell you which character has the best tools for winning. Any moron can tell that Rachel, who can't zone well, can't do close combat well, and needs 50% meter to deal 3k damage, has lesser tools than Litchi who has good pokes at all ranges, and can get 4k damage, oki, and 50% meter off almost any poke.

A Rachel can beat a Litchi. One has to work way harder because of having shittier tools.

Obsessed said:
The people that craft the tiers understand the bold. The tiers simply try and tell you which character has the best tools for winning. Any moron can tell that Rachel, who can't zone well, can't do close combat well, and needs 50% meter to deal 3k damage, has lesser tools than Litchi who has good pokes at all ranges, and can get 4k damage, oki, and 50% meter off almost any poke.

A Rachel can beat a Litchi. One has to work way harder because of having shittier tools.

Quoted for truth. Also, matchup knowledge plays to a certain extent too. I think Gamerbee also did well because no one really played Adon (at least not in high level). So when he came along, people didn't know what to do against his attacks. Guaranteed that in next year's evo, people would have figured Adon out.

JEKKI

Watched GMMA_Jan's Tager matches. The one where he pulls out the victory with the sliver of health was AMAZING.
Jan is real good.

at Evo 09 he beat Pulsr's v-13 without losing a match, while everyone else on the internet was crying about how unbalanced CT is.

I still havent ever played any gaf ppl in this game ;_;

Thanks.

Also noted two useful combos.

However there's a lot here I'll need to pick up from just playing more. He seems to know when to apply the moves I've read / been told are good, whereas I don't know when to apply them without getting punished. It's a simple thing, but it's there.

Also wasn't noticing a lot of 360 out of block in there.

Thanks again. Maybe I'll be able to get in some matches tomorrow. Plans tonight and yesterday pulled a longer shift at work so I was spent when I got home. >_<;
My bad on the late response. I've been a bit busy even though I found time to get pissed at microsoft, ubisoft and the game industry in general(you know what I'm talking about :lol ).

Yeah, those matches are a treat for almost any tager player to watch. Tager is definitely tricky to play with in this game. There are so many rapid fire characters who can nearly be in two places at once that it gets overwhelming trying to block it all. We should play again sometime(I got lots of days off in the coming weeks!).
Shadow Red said:
Have you guys been checking up on that Phase 0? There are scans with a
younger Valkenhayn
looking badass.
I looked it up and I have to admit that I'm impressed. The art is certainly high quality and it gives us the bonus of explaining what happened before the game(story mode). I hope it sheds some light on the mystery behind Hakumen(how in the hell did ___ turn into ______?).

SolarPowered said:
My bad on the late response. I've been a bit busy even though I found time to get pissed at microsoft, ubisoft and the game industry in general(you know what I'm talking about :lol ).

Yeah, those matches are a treat for almost any tager player to watch. Tager is definitely tricky to play with in this game. There are so many rapid fire characters who can nearly be in two places at once that it gets overwhelming trying to block it all. We should play again sometime(I got lots of days off in the coming weeks!).

I'm good for the weekend so far. Been busy with work this week and other projects, yesterday was too darned hot so I left the Xbox off and read some awesome comics instead. :D

xero273

Shadow Red said:
Have you guys been checking up on that Phase 0? There are scans with a
younger Valkenhayn
looking badass.

Just read the summary on dustloop. so we find out the true identity of
bloodedge

Would be nice if someone like del rey decided to bring the novel to the US.

Top Bottom