• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloober Team thanks gamers and critics for overwhelming positive reactions of Silent Hill 2 Remake

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I am still totally shocked that Bloober delivered what is probably the best horror game i've ever played. Although I am sure the rumored resident evil 1 remake will take that spot next

Rumored?

The game has been out for 20+ years.

bd564773-9904-49f3-a5b9-56afa994ab4c.f2e36b9e2760e5a1f497657e56ccb40f.jpeg

El Muerto

Gold Member
They remade one of the greatest games in history, updated the graphics and the controls, and turned it into a shooter like Resident Evil. Of course it will review well....

Very impressive remake, they deserve the accolades. Technically advanced, close to the original, captures the feeling with lots of detail throughout but different enough to draw you in again and feel fresh. Classic material remade very well indeed.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What if a few days becomes normalised and they decide to do an even more expensive two weeks early access edition?

I think special editions like steelbooks, pack-in soundtracks, art cards and the like with no impact on the game itself are much less offensive. You’re getting something extra at least, instead of taking away from the normal-priced edition.
I mean that is true for all games, except it usually goes on sale months after release instead of days or weeks.

They remade one of the greatest games in history, updated the graphics and the controls, and turned it into a shooter like Resident Evil. Of course it will review well....
Automatic 5/10 because its riding on coattails of OG SH2
Add another 4 points simply because surprisingly, It Doesn't Suck!
Thats the biggest surprise, that its DECENT and not shitty like expected. Going to wait for the hype to die down and see how the score levels out.

I personally think its made well enough, and these days something thats moderate quality is a fresh breath. But its not anything thats making me impressed or groundbreaking. They modernized it, thats all. I cant blame them for not recreating the atmosphere (subjective, I know) because thats an impossible task due to the nature of any remake. RE2R was more of an accomplishment imo

Obligatory: Mary, where the fuck are you??

You have to be pretty dead inside to not feel at least somewhat happy for what Bloober did here. They were total underdogs and this project had DOA from day one. Somehow, it's been incredibly well received. This is Silent Hill 2, the SH fanbase is incredibly anal after so many years of suffering. Bloober didn't have a great track record. The early showings were terrible. Somehow they got it right. Feels like a NMS situation, except the backlash and then redemption happened while in development.

The first person I saw talking about this game that had a somewhat positive take was Hikikomori Media (a year ago):

Honestly, I thought it was copium. But hats off, he had a point and in retrospect the video is a banger. And remember, the DE mod for the PC version is easily accessible so you can play both.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I had faith on them, The Medium while flawed was a fantastic experience and you can see the Silent hill influences on it, a project with more budget and support like SH2 looked promising from the very start. I am sure most of the people that criticised the Medium didn't even played it or they were raging because it was timed exclusive to the competition....

Bloobler team is smarter, he sympathizes and gives the fans what they want... Ubisoft, Compulsion games and Sweet baby are idiots because they give terrible games and still dare to blame us.
They're polish... only the far west has shit like Sweet Baby and brainrot like that. The world is really better when you go the right side towards japan

The woke garbage is a west virus, especially american... eastern europe and asia is way out of that crap

Esppiral

They're polish... only the far west has shit like Sweet Baby and brainrot like that. The world is really better when you go the right side towards japan

The woke garbage is a west virus, especially american... eastern europe and asia is way out of that crap
This, that is an "American" thing, the rest of the world wouldn't care less.

Never cared about this IP much, but maybe I'll give this one a go at some point. Nothing wrong with them being thrilled with the solid reviews.

Zacfoldor

I see we have moved on from fighting back against Bloober apology to accepting that this game is legend. Congratz to bloober, never been more happy to be wrong in my life. Epic job, epic.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Last I saw it was overwhelmingly positive on Steam too. I'm curious if that will remain as it seems to be rare these days for high profile games. Too many haters usually lol

I haven't played it yet but for those that have, how long is the game on a first playthrough? I know horror games like this and RE are meant to be replayed but I'm still curious about the length on a first playthrough. I hope it's more like Village where it's 12 hours+ instead of something like RE3 Remake where it's only at around 7 hours on a first playthrough.

Sorcerer

Last edited:
Is the UE5 stutter on PC noticeable?

I've hated on Bloober, but never about them doing the SH2 remake. I thought from the start that maybe making a remake will be easier for them to pull off. Guess it was.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I haven't played it yet but for those that have, how long is the game on a first playthrough? I know horror games like this and RE are meant to be replayed but I'm still curious about the length on a first playthrough. I hope it's more like Village where it's 12 hours+ instead of something like RE3 Remake where it's only at around 7 hours on a first playthrough.

I'm 12.5 hours in and I just got a pistol lol. I guess there are more melee weapons and a shotgun so I would think I am barely halfway if that. I guess it depends on if you run everywhere vs how I'm playing. I love to ogle every room and make sure I am not missing anything. My healing items are in the dumps playing on hard with hard puzzles too.

Last edited:
In 12.5 hours in and I just got a pistol lol. I guess there are more melee weapons and a shotgun so I would think I am barely halfway if that. I guess it depends on if you run everywhere vs how I'm playing. I love to ogle every room and make sure I am not missing anything. My healing items are in the dumps playing on hard with hard puzzles too.
That sounds great! I usually take my time in horror games like it took me more than 20 hours to beat Resident Evil 4 Remake on my first playthrough and around 13 hours for Resident Evil Village. I'll get Silent Hill 2 Remake eventually, some of the characters not looking too good doesn't bother me much since I'm on PC so I got Nexus Mods for that anyway.

Last edited:

Trilobit

There is supposedly a group who are trying to review bomb the game or some such nonsense simply because they do not like the idea that Bloober suceeded.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/othe...o-become-locked/ar-AA1rOZG6?ocid=BingNewsSerp]

There is enough bad real stuff that wokeness creates. It's not necessary to create lies like those wikipedia marauders did trying to warp the critics' scores on this game. I have very low tolerance for woke games, but I don't ever hope for them to fail, I just avoid them and choose the ones that are more to my tastes.

Sorcerer

There is enough bad real stuff that wokeness creates. It's not necessary to create lies like those wikipedia marauders did trying to warp the critics' scores on this game. I have very low tolerance for woke games, but I don't ever hope for them to fail, I just avoid them and choose the ones that are more to my tastes.
Thats how to live life, have your own opinions and tastes, agree to disagree and move on. No need to force opinions on others.

I'm happy for them and hope this leads to Bloober becoming the studio they deserve to be. They could be a trend setter if they wanted but they always miss where it counts. Time to take things to the next level, I'm rooting for them.

Griffon

The same gamers that criticised the game to no one when it was announced ant they didn't played it back then either.
I'm a huge fan of SH2, spent my younger years exploring that game again and again, I have very fond memories related to this game. What they did to Maria's design, face, and proportions is a tragedy, and affects everything negatively.

Last edited:
One never got the hate the team got. No doubt from people who haven't played any of their games and just going off what YouTube and Metric tells them to say

Have the say apart from not the best looking face models, the game is utterly amazing

Top Bottom