• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Finalow

atk vs kin down penalties on gems, do they affect the damage dealt to people using the
Kos Parasite
weapon or the Milkweed green rune?

Mr Git

There are to kinds of people. People like you, who refer to "dex weapons" and "quality builds" and still think they're collecting "souls."

Then there are people like me, who refer to everything by its proper name because we are proper people.

These are your people and my people. And my people hunt your people. You are the scourge of the earth. I'll mess up your brain.

You got me there, I do still call skill dex - although that's not Souls specific. I call everything else their proper names, I'm somewhere between peoples. A nomad. That's fine, I'm a hunter of hunters. :D

You got me there, I do still call skill dex - although that's not Souls specific. I call everything else their proper names, I'm somewhere between peoples. A nomad. That's fine, I'm a hunter of hunters. :D

Whatever you are, we are both enemies against the worst people of all: people who call characters "toons."

Someday, either your people or my people will be lost to history. But not before our common villain is annihilated!

Amirnol

Can't believe how hard this was on NG+++, really loved it! These bosses provided the most intense moments I've ever had with a video game.

Okay, I'll correct what I said earlier. L
aurence's
second form is cheap as hell!

Can anyone help me with him? I'm on NG+ my lvl is 161.

Edit: Ah, Never mind.

Fhtagn

This second phase of the optional boss is going to make me go hollow. So many hit points and so little room to hit him.

Okay, I'll correct what I said earlier. L
aurence's
second form is cheap as hell!

Can anyone help me with him? I'm on NG+ my lvl is 161.

Sure just ring the bell no password, I'm close to your level.

sn00zer

Managed to reach Ludwig with my level 30ish dude that I did for a Moonlight sword build.

Doing him 40 damage... yeah guess I can't do it lol

I had to get to the final boss in the base game before I could take Ludwig on..... really he's just a dumb level check.

I have to refight Ludwig tonight, something I am dreading, because beating him once was a monumental challenge.

This time, I was thinking of bringing either Valtr or Henriette with me. It seems like Valtr is the better choice, because his weapon is more effective and I hear he has higher defenses.

1. How does Valtr actually fair in this fight?
2. Can you bring both Valtr AND Henriette?

I've never used the co-op functions before, but NG++ is hard and I've already proven to myself I can do it. I just want to get back to where I was before I had to restart my campaign.

Guys I was doing some co-op in the DLC area and levelling up without looking at my level.

Now I`m Lv 71 :/

I'm overleveled for the rest of the game?

I just arrived in Nightmare Frontier.

WTF is up with parry/visceral in this DLC?
So many goddamn misses after a successful parry? It just doeen't register. o_O
Goes through an enemy like normal attack or simply attacks it but no visceral.
I platinumed BB, I never had issues with parry/visceral timings. Uuuugggghhh. >(

Spoo

I have to refight Ludwig tonight, something I am dreading, because beating him once was a monumental challenge.

This time, I was thinking of bringing either Valtr or Henriette with me. It seems like Valtr is the better choice, because his weapon is more effective and I hear he has higher defenses.

I've never used the co-op functions before, but NG++ is hard and I've already proven to myself I can do it. I just want to get back to where I was before I had to restart my campaign.

Valtr does well. You can't have both, I don't think. As long as you trade agro reasonable, keeping him from dying, he will stay alive until part 2 where he we likely go down to the sword attack that shoots stuff in a line forward from him, or the AOE. At that point, be conservative, and wait for the free hits you can get from the former attack.

I platinumed BB, I never had issues with parry/visceral timings. Uuuugggghhh. >(

If you are in another huh mmm how do I say it different terrain or being a little up or down the visceral cant register maybe due avoid physics being obstructed by the vis animation being in one plane

Valtr is a beast in this fight, keep a choir bell handy but you probably won't need it. Henriette is a liability.

Fhtagn

So, I'm going to take a break for a couple hours but I want some advice on the optional boss:

1. How does one parry/stun it? I've seen it happen in co-op but I dunno why/how.

2. Is it a smart idea to switch from my beloved saw cleaver to a heavier weapon like the wheel or kirkhammer or one of the DLC weapons and go for few hits with more power? I have 45 str and 40 skill, and enough chunks and rocks to +10 two more weapons. I have three +20.5% physical attack any slot gems from farming the winter lanterns.

I can plan conservatively and make it through the first stage ok when I'm playing well, but the second phase is wrecking me.

So, I'm going to take a break for a couple hours but I want some advice on the optional boss:

1. How does one parry/stun it? I've seen it happen in co-op but I dunno why/how.

2. Is it a smart idea to switch from my beloved saw cleaver to a heavier weapon like the wheel or kirkhammer or one of the DLC weapons and go for few hits with more power? I have 45 str and 40 skill, and enough chunks and rocks to +10 two more weapons. I have three +20.5% physical attack any slot gems from farming the winter lanterns.

I can plan conservatively and make it through the first stage ok when I'm playing well, but the second phase is wrecking me.

1.- Hit his head, horizontal and vertical attacks will do a better job than forward attacks

2.- Dont forget the cleaver have bonus damage against monsters, concussive weapons can stagger most of the enemies and make the DLC a cakewalk, skill weapons are quite good but in close space like the second area would be deadly.

has anyone figured out anything to do with the guy banging his head against the wall other than just killing him for the armor set?

Noup, there is no prompt to talk to him, maybe some sort of League set or Eastern set will make him recover his sanity to talk to you?

Valtr does well. You can't have both, I don't think. As long as you trade agro reasonable, keeping him from dying, he will stay alive until part 2 where he we likely go down to the sword attack that shoots stuff in a line forward from him, or the AOE. At that point, be conservative, and wait for the free hits you can get from the former attack.

Valtr is a beast in this fight, keep a choir bell handy but you probably won't need it. Henriette is a liability.

Thank you both!

has anyone figured out anything to do with the guy banging his head against the wall other than just killing him for the armor set?

It does seem strange that an original character introduced prelaunch with some backstory serves no purpose other than be killed for an outfit.

Fhtagn

Perhaps the range on the new str whip makes the second phase easier? With the saw cleaver I do decent damage only with it closed (which gives the bonus against beasts) but extended has the range required...

I got him down to a tiny sliver earlier and ever since then I've played like shit so I'm taking a couple hours off to eat and relax.

I have been having issues with this too, Usually on bigger foes. I rarely/never miss viscerals in the base game.

Futureman

is there any Easy mode in this game? I loved Dark Souls back in the day but never finished.

I barely play games now though I bought a PS4 for a blu-ray player mainly. Was thinking of getting this as my first game since it's only ~$20 now and I have like $17 in Amazon credit, but if the game is too hard I probably just won't even bother HA.

is there any Easy mode in this game? I loved Dark Souls back in the day but never finished.

I barely play games now though I bought a PS4 for a blu-ray player mainly. Was thinking of getting this as my first game since it's only ~$20 now and I have like $17 in Amazon credit, but if the game is too hard I probably just won't even bother HA.

R2 Hunter Axe

grind and over level + summons = easy mode

Spoo

Easy mode is playing with friends, basically. The added Old Hunter bell makes the bosses from the main game a cinch, and no area is difficult enough that leveling up over time won't break down any barriers there.

For the expansion, I have been coop'ing with a friend, and it's *insane* how much easier it is with two people, and the occasional NPC summon. He's not very good at the game, so he needs the help, and now he can have fun with it, which is great.

Playing solo is hard on NG, and only for experts on any NG+* variant. I broke down in tears at least 3 times.

Not really, but I wanted to.

Main game stack vitality early, summon on bosses. DLC is pretty hard even with capped health but summoning still makes fights much easier.

But technically there is no difficulty setting. It's designed around one difficulty that adjusts in subsequent playthroughs with the same character.

With the exception of this DLC, Bloodborne's difficulty has always been exaggerated.

There's nothing you can't beat by just leveling slightly. And leveling is easy.

G-Bus

Banned
Have the loading times improved since launch?

I remember reading they weren't all that great when the game released.

HORRORSHØW

Have the loading times improved since launch?

I remember reading they weren't all that great when the game released.
yeah. they also prettied up the loading screens

it was pretty bad at launch. made worse due to staring at an abyss of black with only the logo during loading

FUCKING YES!!!

Finally managed to beat L
aurence
on my own! God killing that bastard felt great!

And with that, the only thing left to do is to collect all weapons in the DLC. Now I have to face the real challenge.... those fucking
Sharks in the well
, agh!

G-Bus

Banned
Grimløck;187079558 said:
yeah. they also prettied up the loading screens

it was pretty bad at launch. made worse due to staring at an abyss of black with only the logo during loading

Awesome. Thank you kind sir.

ricelord

shark-horse.jpg

fuck these guys.

FUCKING YES!!!

Finally managed to beat L
aurence
on my own! God killing that bastard felt great!

And with that, the only thing left to do is to collect all weapons in the DLC. Now I have to face the real challenge.... those fucking
Sharks in the well
, agh!

Shaman blade item will help you.

Gentuu

Banned
man he is the only one giving me trouble in this DLC he is a legit boss....

Yeh, seemed hard of the total 3 tries I did. Didn't even get him to half.
The problem is the high health pool and the AoE attacks.

Luckily It's easy to use blood vials in that fight :)
at least during the first phase, not sure if there's more than that.

Thanks! I'll try that.

I think he thought you were talking about a different pair of fat dudes, much later in the game. You're talking about the big axe guy right next to the shortcut gate back to the ladder in Central Yharnam, right? But the general strategy for fat dudes is going to be the same: try to master their parry windows if you can, otherwise try to bait one of their big slow attacks by standing just at the edge of its range, then go in for one or two hits before dodging back again.

Big dudes have a lot of range, but they're slow. You want to get them to commit to an attack that won't hit you, then punish them.

What would you guys say are the best DLC weapons? Do you find any of them replacing your previous main?

Church Pick and Rakuyo have both replaced the Burial Blade for me. I'm also really digging the Whirligig Saw and the Holy Moonlight Sword. Overall the quality of the DLC weapons seems to be really high - they've basically rendered a bunch of vanilla weapons obsolete.

Top Bottom