• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Living Failures look dumb, but imo that fight was hype as fuck. I loved the fact that you could parry/v.attack them, the music, the goddamn meteor summon (!!!), I thought it was super fun. Challenging but completely fair.

MechaX

So someone explain this to me:

The fishing hamlet was
where the church experimented on turning people into kin?

I could be completely wrong, but my interpretation was that
where Kos landed was the first, if not one of the major first areas where the Healing Church really began their research. They may or may not have had some limited knowledge of the Old Ones before, but the Fishing Hamlet and Kos were really where it kicked off. Of course, the people of the Fishing Hamlet were not that fortunate, but the Old One really took some sympathy on the citizens and started the Hunters' Nightmare.

Afrocious

I could be completely wrong, but my interpretation was that
where Kos landed was the first, if not one of the major first areas where the Healing Church really began their research. They may or may not have had some limited knowledge of the Old Ones before, but the Fishing Hamlet and Kos were really where it kicked off. Of course, the people of the Fishing Hamlet were not that fortunate, but the Old One really took some sympathy on the citizens and started the Hunters' Nightmare.

I guess that goes along with the whole idea of the Hunter's Nightmare being separated from time and space where old hunters actually prowl and such.

Melchiah

If you kill
Gehrman
before entering the DLC you will miss some unique dialog from Doll. Nothing else as far as I know.

Holy shit that Bowblade is stupidly good. Took down the optional boss really easily by just back dashing and doing charged shots. 500-900 damage per hit. Kinda boring playstyle to be honest but it is really effective atleast on some bosses. Bet it would destroy Ebrietas in seconds.

Thanks for the heads up. I won't be going that far before completing the DLC.

Looking forward to try the Bowblade.

Anbec7

First boss of the DLC
Ludwig

Currently kicking my ass why! I'm level 88 and when I got him to 50% healt I get rekt.
Any tips for this one?

Dahbomb

I beat the DLC yesterday with my new character and with my NG+5 character shortly before that.

Here's my review of the DLC after platinuming it.
It was a fucking blast and was challenging as hell. It drained me after 4 out of the 5 boss fights. Some of the enemy encounters were tough too.

The level design was pretty solid overall, I wasn't too keen on the first area because it felt like a mishmash of previous areas but the 2nd one might be among the best areas in the Soulsborne series. The creepy atmosphere was off the charts.

The weapon variety in the DLC was astonishing. I didn't expect so many weapons and many of them were cool as fuck. I wished we got to fight more hunters using them so we got a solid preview of them (one of the bosses used one of the weapon and I was like "yup I want dat!").

Enemy designs for the newer enemies were kinda hit and miss. Some were nice, other were eh and some were just way more annoying to fight than they should've been. I actually enjoyed the enemies in the first zone the most especially the Hunters.

Difficulty of the DLC is pretty high due to the bosses. Normal enemies aren't that much of an issue outside of like 3 zones in the whole DLC (the well, the river and one other place), there are just more of them than in the base game in one location. Quite a few traps in the DLC as well especially early on. The bosses though punish really hard and almost all of them had amped up second/third stages. Outside of one they were all fair in terms of difficulty (as in not cheap), many of them you could get through the first stage without even getting hit if you got the pattern down. One of the bosses had cheap mechanics up the ass and very few ways to close out the game fast because of said mechanics. Still most of the bosses were extremely entertaining and nerve racking to beat with a solid sense of accomplishment after beating. Definitely the hardest group of bosses out of all the Bloodborne experience. I would definitely say that people should tackle the DLC right before fighting the final boss of the game because that's what it seems to be tuned for.

NG+5 was even harder as the bosses appeared to be more aggressive and hit harder/had way more health. I still beat them because my main character on that was a Ludwig character and Ludwig is still OP. My NG character was a Blade of Mercy character that I made for fun and Blade of Mercy sucks ass for bosses. Shit range, shit stun and I spent most of my fights tickling the bosses to death with the occasional parries. Eventually I was like fuck it and got some summons for the final boss and the optional boss even though both bosses I had gotten down to pixels all solo. In addition for my NG run I didn't have access to Valtr because I accidentally got him killed.

Boss ranking:

Top tier: OoK, Maria and Ludwig (I initially hated Ludwig and then grew to appreciate it immensely. It's all a matter of learning to dodge his one shot attacks). OoK and Maria are among the best humanoid boss encounters I have ever played in video games.

Joke tier: Living Failures (essentially Celestial Emissary tier boss fight, it's even set up that way where you fight it just before fighting the actual boss of the area. It's just a confidence builder.

Cheap mutha fucker tier: Lawrence. Cheap as fuck mechanics with a bunch of huge AOE 90% health damaging attacks. I guess that's why he's optional...

I also liked that the fact that DLC had an additional Blood Rock. That allowed me to fully upgrade an additional weapon (which was the Simon's Bow).

Overall it was $20 well spent. I give the DLC a 9/10, a worthy expansion to the base game which was already excellent. Too bad the match making seems to be even worse in this expansion than in the main game. From still hasn't fixed that shit.

Just finished it. What a ride. Tried to find cooperators for the fight against
orphan of kos
for quite a while but since no one came I tried him on my own for a few times, figured out his move set and beat him. Pretty rewarding end.

First boss of the DLC
Ludwig

Currently kicking my ass why! I'm level 88 and when I got him to 50% healt I get rekt.
Any tips for this one?

Jump in after first swipe (be on his right), try to to be close to his back always. However watch out for his aggressive phase because he will kick you from behind if you stay behind him for too long. Also when he jumps and floats, there is blood drops that indicate where he is headed. Always run for a bit and finish with a jump after 4 seconds (usually works to not get him on top of you). Also forgot to say keep the look out for his charge, there is always this brown smoke coming before charging.

Phase two, is keep close and dodge the first two swipes (you got an opening for one slice, but watch for the third as it aims at you). Get far or run to the sides when he does his beam attack. Hit him on the front to make him kneel eventually so you can do a visceral attack. Always be on your toes.

By the way I got both
living failures
and
maria
down on my first attempt but had huge problems with the
fish in the well
. Maybe this was a NG+ specific problem but they seemed way too hard.

laxu

I'm finally grinding the chalice dungeons trying to get the +20% stamina rune since my stamina is maxed otherwise. Apart from the bosses the chalice dungeons are really awful. In fact I'd say if Platinum Games did the level design for this game, the chalice dungeons would be the result. Boring and ugly. At least so far I'm nicely overleveled so anything except madmen and swarms of spiders don't give me much trouble.

Being able to summon old hunters to help on many boss fights in the dungeons is great as they serve as good distraction and often last at least until phase two of any boss.

myco666

Joke tier: Living Failures (essentially Celestial Emissary tier boss fight, it's even set up that way where you fight it just before fighting the actual boss of the area. It's just a confidence builder.

Overall it was $20 well spent. I give the DLC a 9/10, a worthy expansion to the base game which was already excellent. Too bad the match making seems to be even worse in this expansion than in the main game. From still hasn't fixed that shit.

I actually thought that
Living Failures was really hype. The arena is beautiful and they summon the Cosmos around you and start dropping meteors at you and the theme is also really good. Gameplay-wise it isn't really that great as it was just better version of CE but I thought it was visually fantastic.

Do you mean matchmaking as in you trying to summon someone or you trying to help? I get summoned almost instantly everytime I ring a bell and don't really have to wait at all. Getting help can sometimes take longer but I would assume that is because lot of people are summoning and not that many are helping out randoms.

laxu

First boss of the DLC
Ludwig

Any tips for this one?

Summon Valtr (summon point near the corpse banging the gate, behind some crows) to help you. To get Valtr you need have his rune in use, you can obtain it by talking to him in the Forbidden Woods (near where you open the gate back to the lamp).

When Ludwig jumps to the roof I find that when he stops making noise is a good time to start dodging, run before that. Since he moves around a fair bit it's usually best to let him come to you instead of running after him, dodge his attacks to his right side (your left) and do a few hits there. In phase two I find staying close is the best strategy as his long range attacks are pretty brutal.

idonteven

am i doing something wrong ? im hunting players down but i am getting hate message's on psn :( i know you need to "bow" before but i like hunting them without them seeing me

ISee

I'm finally grinding the chalice dungeons trying to get the +20% stamina rune since my stamina is maxed otherwise. Apart from the bosses the chalice dungeons are really awful. In fact I'd say if Platinum Games did the level design for this game, the chalice dungeons would be the result. Boring and ugly. At least so far I'm nicely overleveled so anything except madmen and swarms of spiders don't give me much trouble.

Being able to summon old hunters to help on many boss fights in the dungeons is great as they serve as good distraction and often last at least until phase two of any boss.

Some of the hardest bosses are in the later chalice dungeons. Probably that's why they give you the option to summon npc companions now down there, I feel a bit salty now lol. I was stuck on one of them for days.

HORRORSHØW

CVAjIZ6UkAAyudx.jpg:medium

church pick. one stamina bar did 11k+ damage to the one reborn on ng3

Afrocious

am i doing something wrong ? im hunting players down but i am getting hate message's on psn :( i know you need to "bow" before but i like hunting them without them seeing me

eh i feel you. i'd probably get mad if i'm minding my own business and i get jumped.

i don't mind it in later areas where players are being summoned to fuck with you but otherwise, let's go 1v1

End of the last area, past the yum yum brains.

you sure? all i found past them were the two sharks at the bottom of the well.

Arjen

eh i feel you. i'd probably get mad if i'm minding my own business and i get jumped.

i don't mind it in later areas where players are being summoned to fuck with you but otherwise, let's go 1v1

you sure? all i found past them were the two sharks at the bottom of the well.

Oh you're right, but it's definitely in that area, just look around down there for another path.

ValfarHL

Grimløck;187199511 said:
my stats are 50/50 in str and skill. i'm super over leveled on this playthrough b/c i wanted to test all the weapons.

gems are 2x 27.2 physical and one 26.3 physical

Where does one find gems like that? :(

Finally beated
Laurence
solo, NG+ lvl 110. It was easier after understanding that keeping it close on second phase is easier than just running away. You can do that on co-op, you can't do it solo, at least is a lot harder that way.

Cross-posting my thoughts on the DLC's story from the lore thread. Not really focusing on the nitty gritty details that a lot of people are digging into, but more of the thematic significance:

The more I think about the DLC's story, the more I like it. It doesn't really answer many questions, but as a piece of storytelling it's really good. The crux of the story rests on the player's inherent desire to seek things out in then game and kill them. The Old Hunters made that mistake in the Hamlet, by senselessly killing innocent people/great ones in the pursuit of selfish self improvement and knowledge, so the Orphan/Kos --now banished to the nightmare realm--curses all hunters to be punished along with it. The harrowed hunter makes the argument that all hunters shouldn't be punished for their ancestors sins, and tries to end it (and fails), because it isn't a fair punishment. But isn't it? Hunters still haven't changed. They still kill at others behest without thinking of consequences outside of personal gain via blood echoes or equipment or promotion or whatever, and become drunk on blood from their enjoyment in the slaughter. And you're no better. The only way to end the nightmare is to in fact recreate the very same sins the Old Hunters were punished for, by slaughtering your way through the same defiled Hamlet and slaying the natural child of a Great One. Brador the Church Assassin, and possibly the Church itself, actually gain a sympathetic wrinkle in the DLC in that they are trying to keep hunters like yourself and the Harrowed hunter from repeating their own sins from ages past (well maybe the Church itself just wants to hide it to save face). Your final encounter with Brador he even says that nothing changes and taunts you to kill him. And of course you're going to, so you can get his own equipment and satisfying your insatiable curiosity.

The DLC really fleshes out the murkier morality of the player interaction with the story that was only hinted at in the main game with stuff like the suspicious man saying hunters are no better than beasts, and Gherman telling you not to think so closely about your task and just kill beasts and enjoy yourself (which the majority of the players do I feel, as they don't really dig into the story of the game and question their actions).

Grimløck;187198482 said:
CVAjIZ6UkAAyudx.jpg:medium

woah... I should try it

I love the first area, not sure why some are so down on it. It's familiar sure, but weird and different enough to not feel lazy or rehashed at all. Absolutely love
the river of blood flowing out of Ludwig's slaughterhouse and trickles down all the way to the cave. So messed up.
I think I just enjoy exploring an area that feels familiar but foreign enough to still be surprising. The lighting is great, it makes it feel different too.

woah... I should try it

I love the first area, not sure why some are so down on it. It's familiar sure, but weird and different enough to not feel lazy or rehashed at all. Absolutely love
the river of blood flowing out of Ludwig's slaughterhouse and trickles down all the way to the cave. So messed up.
I think I just enjoy exploring an area that feels familiar but foreign enough to still be surprising. The lighting is great, it makes it feel different too.

First area is fantastic. Plays with your expectations of the familiar (something really key in horror games) to shake your confidence. Best standard enemy encounters in the DLC, great environmental touches to keep it from feeling overly familiar, lots of rewarding secrets and loot, and a lovely progression all the way to the best boss of the DLC.

Second area is still my favorite though. Last area is my least favorite.

# I especially didn't like the encounter design. It was mostly just spam hordes, and some bs stuff like giants with casters and ranged dudes nearby. The gameplay design kind of reminded me of Dark Souls 2 tbh. .

There is a massive difference in this design for bloodborne and dark souls 2, BB systems suit these type of encounters, i thought they were the most fun encounters since the start of the game.

Finalow

Grimløck;187198482 said:
-
churck pick has some pretty bad scaling though? I think you could do way more with other weapons.

the moveset is really good, I wish it had at least an A.

There is a massive difference in this design for bloodborne and dark souls 2, BB systems suit these type of encounters, i thought they were the most fun encounters since the start of the game.

It works better for BB than DS2 but the enemy placement just felt sloppy in the third area. 1st and 2nd area both had hordes as well but they felt more deliberately placed and meshed with the level design better. I also just didn't think the enemies in the third area were all the engaging to fight.

Edzi

Beast transformation + Beast Claw is my new favorite thing. Coop with other players while roaring and jump slashing is super badass.

Aceofspades

Banned
Im stuck at ludwig. Im playing NG++ lvl 150.

Feel like Im seriously underleveled for the DLC.

Edit: I have summoned 10 times tonight trying to defeat him with no good, we always die before his second phase.

Does anyone have some tips?

Grimløck;187199511 said:
my stats are 50/50 in str and skill. i'm super over leveled on this playthrough b/c i wanted to test all the weapons.

gems are 2x 27.2 physical and one 26.3 physical

Dayum I would love to have those gems. I have the same Strength and Skill level like you but in NG++ and did not do that much damage to him. I keep playing the dungeons with very high discovery level but it is a bore and rare that I get super good gems.

So when this DLC dropped I was full skill build. With 25 arcane and bloodetinge. I've built my strength up to 30 gonna cap it at 50 so I guess I can use all weapons. I love the expansion but s little disappointed the skill weapons are so deep into it and there's not many to begin with

Top Bottom