• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

neoism

so guys is the slime scholars still the best souls :p farming spot... im on ng now and i remeber getting 20k in 2 minutes or soo... is it much better in ng+?

also wow at the first dlc area.. those hunter enemies do not mess a round i killed everything up to the boss but left lol.. not about to lose 200k souls..

lol i seen the load times seem a little better... youd think the frame rate wouldnt bother me with playing soo much fo4.... it sometimes helps in fights though but damn waht a game if it was 30 locked..

Grimløck;187199511 said:
my stats are 50/50 in str and skill. i'm super over leveled on this playthrough b/c i wanted to test all the weapons.

gems are 2x 27.2 physical and one 26.3 physical

Where do you get such powerful gems? I'm sure depth 5 chalices but which ones?

Neoweee

So when this DLC dropped I was full skill build. With 25 arcane and bloodetinge. I've built my strength up to 30 gonna cap it at 50 so I guess I can use all weapons. I love the expansion but s little disappointed the skill weapons are so deep into it and there's not many to begin with

I agree. It hurts even more that the first boss is the hardest boss and a giant roadblock.

Also, it sucks that the Bowblade sucks. Yes, it has good scaling, but it is so completely lagging in impact/interrupt/stagger/poisebreak or whatever the term is. It is just a bad weapon in exchange for some slight utility in its moveset.

Edzi

Anybody up for helping out with OoK? I'm on NG3 and the password is 'butts'.

If I could just figure out his second phase I'd be set.

I can try. The key to the second phase is to stick close to him, and also run to the entrance when he shrieks for the lightening attack.

So when this DLC dropped I was full skill build. With 25 arcane and bloodetinge. I've built my strength up to 30 gonna cap it at 50 so I guess I can use all weapons. I love the expansion but s little disappointed the skill weapons are so deep into it and there's not many to begin with

They're definitely worth it though, the
Rakuyo
in particular.

Audioboxer

Restarted as a skill build, just didn't enjoy arcane at 50.

Beasthunter Saif is awesome! The quick step forward and attack is surprisingly useful. Does a bit more damage than the cane at +6, even although the cane has better skill scaling. My skill is at 40.

Afrocious

Restarted as a skill build, just didn't enjoy arcane at 50.

Beasthunter Saif is awesome! The quick step forward and attack is surprisingly useful. Does a bit more damage than the cane at +6, even although the cane has better skill scaling. My skill is at 40.

I felt Arcane gets a lot more love than Skill does with he amount of toys you get catering to magic.

Even with the DLC skill doesn't have much going for it

Audioboxer

I felt Arcane gets a lot more love than Skill does with he amount of toys you get catering to magic.

Even with the DLC skill doesn't have much going for it

I just don't use tools enough :/ I ended up 25 STR 50 ARC and wish I had done 50 STR 25 ARC if anything. I'm getting SKL to 50, and then I'll get BT up to 25. The bowblade looks cool. Gems are also a bit of a PITA for split damage. I just like keeping it simple and going straight up attack gems and using fire/bolt paper.

The Kos stuff looks cool, but I like being a hunter :p

This fucking guy.

Edit: I am fucking downing Estus against OoK. Worst thing is that I know he's beatable.

Yeah, he's rough because the first form really isn't that tough at all, so it builds up your confidence, and then the second form will just fuck you over and over with its insanely erratic, aggressive, and unpredictable move set that involves a lot of leaping attacks that are hard to track, and huge AOE/splash damage attacks.

Your best bet is to remain as close as possible and keep dashing. Staying mid range or long range is a recipe for disaster and all you will be doing is chugging blood vials. Be very very aggressive.

Yeah this is good advice ^

Stick to his left side too (your right) and just dash around behind him and try and stagger him to interrupt his attacks.

Game4life

Banned
This fucking guy.

Edit: I am fucking downing Estus against OoK. Worst thing is that I know he's beatable.

Your best bet is to remain as close as possible and keep dashing. Staying mid range or long range is a recipe for disaster and all you will be doing is chugging blood vials. Be very very aggressive. Also use the lightning call opportunity to slash him up good.

Ferr986

storafötter;187188906 said:
Many people have probably tried it before but I did some experiments with Uncanny versions and the small difference is worthless. Since I do not have any better gems than the cursed ones it didnt make any difference. So it is disapointing that I cannot make any DLC weapon better than Ludwigs Holy Blade. Even the Moonblade is pretty weak in comparison. Been experimenting with Moonlight blade and Amygdala only to be left disapointed.

Kinda old post but I'm advancing with my Moonlight build and I agree that weapon.

I mean, the arcane beams can do great damage (especially if you conect the hit with the beam) but that's pretty much it, and god luck doing that against bosses that keep moving and don't let you charge the attacks.

The regular (R1) damage is below the Ludwig's unless you level up everything the 3 stats a lot (forget about caping at 100-120 if you like that). Add that no one in PvP will even eat the L2/R2s and you're left with a weapon that only is useful for coop sessions (so you can do the Arcane attacks while the boss is facing another player).

I think the weapon should be like the Chikage, 1h STR based and 2h ARC based. The split damage hurts the viability of the weapon. You can pull pretty numbers but overall is not as useful.

Of course, this probably changes when you say "fuck it" and level up STR , SKL and ARC to 50.

EDIT: That being said, there's some good weapons in the DLC. The pizza cutter is just crazy. Even with just 25 STR it destroys shit. I liked the Church Pick in my SKL build too.

I've got a bit of a cheesy tactic for L
aurence
if anyone wants to try it. Basically I've got a +10 Whirligig and have about 47 Strength. I go right up to his fucking pelvis and spam L2 (holds buzzsaw in place like you're mowing the lawn). It whittles away his health quickly. You'll still get hit now and then, which is why it helps to have jolly cooperators to distract him. I wasn't able to beckon ANYONE tonight so didn't get a victory in my own game, but I took him down this way in someone else's game. They just stood back whilst I circumcised the fucker. Second form is much harder but you can still make it work.

So. Weekend finally came and with it the time to return to this masterpiece of a game.

Just wanted to say quickly that I loved this expansion and that L
ady
M
aria
was one of the best bossfights I have ever played.

Also. Fuck L
aurence
Insane damage output combined with an even more Insane health pool. And his second stage was mas annoying(played this on NG+). Fucker must have taken me at least 40 tries. But as much as I raged, still felt fantastic when I defeated him.

If there was one thing I hated that would be those
giants in the fishing hamlet
. They are a royal pain in the ass

Nevertheless, massive props to From Software for giving us another demonstration of DLC done right.

PD. L
udwig
and OoK were great as well

Grimløck;187200966 said:
d/b/-/c at +10

my moonlight sword definitely does more dmg, but i love the moveset of the pick

The Church Pick may not be the "COOLEST" weapon of the DLC - I mean, goddamn Bowblade and Pizza Cutter - but I think it's the coolest... If you get me.

It just has such a rustic charm, both aesthetically and functionally. The moveset is seriously dope, too. That follow-up R2 after the charged R2. Church Sick, m8.

silva1991

so guys is the slime scholars still the best souls :p farming spot... im on ng now and i remeber getting 20k in 2 minutes or soo... is it much better in ng+?

if it was the best on NG I don't see why it shouldn't be on NG+

personally I rather farming the 2 pigs in Mensis.

For OoK, you have to trust the parry

trying to parry him did not work out for me at all. I couldn't get the timing down on most of his moves, and it made me play reactively instead of proactively. In the time it took me to pull off a visceral I would have taken less damage and done more if I had just been whacking his ass with my +10 pizza cutter.

Helloween

Off topic, but I'm a big fan of your videos. I discovered your channel through your Nier Lets Play and went and bought Drakengard 3 after (as PS3 Nier is very hard to find in the UK - I have no imported a copy).

Enjoying the blind playthrough of the DLC here as well - I know you're conscious of fucking up every now and then but that's part of the fun of these games and it's good to see.

(OT) Thanks! Im glad to see that DoD3 is getting some more love.

On topic, Boss 2 i found went pretty smoothly as long as you stay on top of it all

God this anchor-wielding fish frog is ruining my day.

Edit: does the shaman bone technique uhh, not work for anyone else? After a certain amount of damage, the two just swing at each other and the hits don't connect. It's incredibly frustrating.

if it was the best on NG I don't see why it shouldn't be on NG+

personally I rather farming the 2 pigs in Mensis.

Best farming route for me is probably the 5pwujscd Chalice Dungeon.

You can run to the lever and then to the boss room in literally under a minute. And then it's just the 3 fatty Watchers, which can be parried to death in the same time. With all Moon runes equipped = 180k + likely Chunks + 27.2% Triangle Gem.

Incredibly easy and potentially incredibly rewarding.

Of course, you need to have permissions for all CD modifiers.

Ok question. After I killed first boss this guy appeared next to the lamp by the head to get weapon. I've moved on and made it to research hall lamp but isn't he supposed to be here??? Do I mess his qst up somehow

Meneses

Finally started the DLC.

Just a quick question:

Do things change if we have high insight - and if so, at what level? 40 insight?

Edzi

Edit: does the shaman bone technique uhh, not work for anyone else? After a certain amount of damage, the two just swing at each other and the hits don't connect. It's incredibly frustrating.

Hah, this kept happening to me too. Went through 3 shaman bones, and they kept clipping through each other until the effects wore off. Finally, I just started attacking them while they were busy hitting each other and managed to kill them both at the same time.

Get'sMad

Just finished it....think I might have liked this even better than Artorias of the Abyss. So dang good. Research Hall and Fishing Hamlet were fantastic.

Now I managed to kill the unarmed one only to be killed by anchor. Dunno if the item I wanted dropped or not but it's not there on return. I hope I haven't goofed myself out of it?

It works, just got to be patient about how you handle the first guy.

All three of the skill weapons are viable, though, whereas the Whirligig Saw totally outclasses the other strength weapons.

Auctopus

Damn I'm impressed you even made it past the first boss at level 60

It's mainly been a VIT issue. The hardest parts of the DLC for me so far have been the patients and Ludwig. It only took a few patient to get me before I was dead and Ludwig just felt like a brick.

Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. In Vanilla, I'm at Nightmare of Mensis but as I said earlier in the thread, I'd say this DLC is some of the hardest Souls I've played. But the difficulty has been a roller coaster.

Afrocious

Kind of disappointed we never figured out what the Yharnam Stone is about. I'm guessing it's just an item you can look at and say that got it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's mainly been a VIT issue. The hardest parts of the DLC for me so far have been the patients and Ludwig. It only took a few patient to get me before I was dead and Ludwig just felt like a brick.

Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. In Vanilla, I'm at Nightmare of Mensis but as I said earlier in the thread, I'd say this DLC is some of the hardest Souls I've played. But the difficulty has been a roller coaster.

It's funny, I'll struggle and struggle and struggle (and rage) at the most mundane parts of BB. But yet, with my level 17 new character in vanilla NG, I managed to beat Ludwig on my 4th or 5th try. But then I got abasolutely ass fucked by tge optional bossat level ~24 or so, that I said "fuck it" and loaded up my level 96 NG character... And l still tried 15 times before taking him down :-/

Top Bottom